Start by marking “Dolores Claiborne” as Want to Read:
Dolores Claiborne

Dolores Claiborne

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  98,986 Ratings  ·  1,721 Reviews
Psychologiczny bedący błyskotliwym studium charakteru i ciemnych stron kobiecej psychiki, literacki triumf Kinga, jego najambitniejsze dzieło.

Mieszkańcy Little Tall Island czekali blisko 30 lat, by dowiedzieć się, co przydarzyło się mężowi Dolores Claiborne, Joemu, pewnego dnia latem 1963 roku podczas całkowitego zaćmienia słonca. Podejrzana o zamordowanie swojej pracodawc
Mass Market Paperback, 255 pages
Published 2005 by Albatros - A. Kuryłowicz (first published November 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dolores Claiborne, please sign up.

Mike Picked up the original hardcover (used) at Savers for $2.99 and it is in great condition.

Trudi
Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman's got to hold on to.
~Dolores Claiborne
Meet Dolores Claiborne -- island woman, mother of three, murderess and overall high-riding bitch. And I love her! She is strength and smarts and dignity personified and in my opinion, one of the most vivid and memorable literary creations ever to walk the pages of any book. I don't say that lightly. Yes I'm a fan, yes I'm gushing, but this is also a more tempered, critical evaluation after living with her existence th
Nayra.Hassan
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, king
عندما يدفعك القهر و اليأس للإبداع بل و التجويد
.. نقدم لك : جريمة القتل النموذجية التي تهندسها و لآ ترتكبها ..تؤازرك فيها الطبيعة⛅ و الضحية معا {ليس ضحية اصلا}ا
من عبقريات الإنتقام عبر الآداب العالمية مجتمعة
"Husbands die every day Dolores. Why, one is probably dying right now while you're sitting here weeping....An accident can be an unhappy woman's best friend."

نعم صدقت يا كينج كعادتك ..☀الحوادث قد تكون افضل صديق للمرأة التعيسة! ..و اي امرأة انت يا ديلورس ؟و اي تعاسة هذه ؟
متى تخطر فكرة القتل
Brad
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2016-shelf
Fascinating story and such a strong voice. Since this story is pretty much an obvious one, centered on what appears to be a solid who-done-it, it's just the devil in the details where we have to place all our attention.

Will this be a rubbernecking event? Or is an obviously guilty woman obviously and truly guilty with the crime she is being accused of?

Truly, the story is a lot more complex and interesting than any first glance, and more than anything, we're meant to get in deep within Dolores's s
❀Julie
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little gem.  I did a mixture of reading and listening to the audiobook and the narrator was fantastic.  I think what makes it stand out is the unique format of the story, which was Dolores giving her testimony to the police after her employer died in her care.  I wasn’t sure I would like the structure of it being one long chapter but it was so compelling that it worked well. I was drawn in from the very beginning with this woman’s charming dialect and wit, and how she could possi ...more
Ron
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Bates. What an actress. (Forgive me as I talk a bit about the movies born from King’s novels.) So Kathy Bates starred as both Annie Wilkes and Dolores Claiborne in Misery and…what’s the name of the other film?... oh yeah, Dolores Claiborne. I’ve watched them both. Liked them both a lot. If you haven’t, maybe you should, if not for Stephen King’s stories, then for Bates acting and to see two flicks that turned out right. This is especially true if you thought that King only wrote straight h ...more
Arah-Lynda
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arah-Lynda by: Trudi
Shelves: top, i-said
I have been sitting in a room having a little break, from A Dance with Dragons, listening to Dolores tell me her story.

It’s a confession really.

About her husband and what happened during that eclipse. About her employer but; mostly, and most importantly, about herself: as a woman, and a wife, and a mother.

It is a very chilling tale, told by today’s master of the craft.

The bell resonates.

I fell into her voice and found myself in that small town, on that little island, off the coast of Maine with
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

“Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman's got to hold on to.”

One of King's greatest talents is in his writing of characters, making them come across as realistic paper-people with sympathetic emotions and believable motivations. Dolores Claiborne is a work of art - she's not the typical heroine that carries a novel with her beauty, intelligence, station in life, or luck of fate. Instead she's average with her life but takes herself up a notch, makes herself stand out by standing strong in the fa
Mia Nauca
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 estrellas
Un libro de Stephen King distinto, contado como un monologo, es en realidad una confesión a la policía sobre toda una vida caótica y atrapante.

Es una novela un poco densa al principio, pero cuando le agarras el ritmo creo que no lo soltarás hasta que lo termines, Dolores es uno de los mejores personajes que ha creado King y Vera una perfecta "compañera" para ella.

Enserio amigos ¡que tal libro ha sido este! De los que realmente te generan esa sensación de empatía y cariño

Recomendad
Catie
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catie by: Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I haven’t read very many from Stephen King (well, okay, I’ve read nine but seven of those were Dark Tower books). This is the least supernatural, most realistic of his that I’ve read. Yeah, there’s a teeny smidge of the supernatural in this book (which really, wasn’t at all necessary, but maybe he just can’t help himself), but the majority of the material here comes from cold, stark reality. It’s still completely frightening and gruesome, but in a subtle and restrained way that I really love.

Th
Edward Lorn
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I managed to reread Dolores Claiborne in under 24 hours. I was thirteen when I first read it, and even then it only took three days. With no chapter breaks and one of the best vernacular-heavy voices King's ever taken on, this book's engine very nearly purrs. Dolores Claiborne is, in my opinion, Stephen King's most well-delivered story. There's zero filler, and that's unheard of where King's concerned. The book is so succinct that the movie version actually had to add more content instead of cut ...more
Ruth Turner

Audiobook – Narrated by Frances Sternhagen – Excellent Narration.

Written as one chapter, this is the story of Dolores Claiborne who is suspected of murdering her wealthy employer.

Instead, during one long night, in a police interview, she confesses to murdering her husband 30 years ago.

The story goes back in time as she tells about the woman she worked for and is suspected of killing, about her marriage and her violent and abusive husband, and her life on Little Tall Island.

I’ve read the book on
jo
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Όταν ποσταρε μια γνωστή μου οτι θελει να πουλησει την κόπια της στην σελίδα του Facebook με ανταλλαγές και πωλήσεις μεταχειρισμένων βιβλιων,ετρεξα να το προλαβω.Ηθελα πολυ καιρο να το διαβασω αλλα σκεφτομουν οτι εχω ηδη πολλα αδιαβαστα βιβλια του Κινγκ και το εβαζα παλι πισω στο ραφι του βιβλιοπωλειου.Δεν με απογοητεύσε,ισα-ισα και ολας που με έκανε να πιστέψω ακομα περισσότερο στην ικανότητα του Κινγκ να γραψει ενα καλο,contemporary βιβλιο με κεντρική ηρωιδα μια γυναικα.

Και τι γυναικα ειναι η D
Cody
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for one of my very favorite Stephen King stories: the enthralling and legendary 1993 novel, Dolores Claiborne.

As old as this book is, and considering it was made into a big budget film starring Kathy Bates (my favorite King adaption, by the way), almost everyone knows the plot — so I won't rehash too much. But I will say this is the story of a woman — easily the strongest woman King has ever created, and simply one of the best damn female main characters I've ever come across in fict
Carol
Another UNPUTDOWNABLE read by Stephen King. As Dolores Claiborne narrates her story of murder, abuse and revenge to authorities (without any chapter breaks), I stayed totally engrossed. You will despise her evil husband and love her entertaining dialogue with Vera as they become friends.

As I had recently read Gerald's Game, I thought the eerie connection of two unrelated women who experience terror(view spoiler) during the total eclipse added to the suspe

Andreas
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ultra Geil*__*
Eliasdgian
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

«Πριν από είκοσι εννιά χρόνια, όταν ο Αρχηγός της Αστυνομίας Μπίσετ, από δω, πήγαινε πρώτη δημοτικού και φόραγε ακόμη κοντά παντελονάκια, σκότωσα τον άντρα μου…». Η Ντολόρες Κλέμπορν, 66 ετών σήμερα, πολλά χρόνια μετά το θάνατο του συζύγου της, ανακρίνεται για έναν ακόμη θάνατο. Αυτόν της Βέρας Ντόνοβαν, στη δούλεψη της οποίας υπηρέτησε ως οικονόμος για περισσότερα από σαράντα έτη.

Στη ‘Ντολόρες Κλέμπορν’ ο Stephen King δανείζεται τη φωνή της ηρωίδας του και μιλά στον αναγνώστη του σε πρώτο πρόσ
Jason
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Middle of the pack King book, for me.

"There is no bitch on earth like a mother frightened for her kids." If the book were to be distilled down into one sentence, this would do it justice.

I can appreciate that King was doing something different and unique here with the narration. He was definitely taking himself out of his own comfort zone. And in King fashion, he pulled it off (surprise surprise). I think this narrative style could have been a complete disaster if it wasn't a pro doing the work
Thomas Strömquist
"There are some times in a person's life that don't have no real minutes in em, so you can't count em up"

When questioned by the police about the death of her employer, Dolores Claiborne answers in a way that no-one would have imagined. Two officers and one stenographer then listens as she tells her story - and what an amazing story it is! No chapters and almost exclusively one long monologue, heavily accented and often uncouth, I enjoyed this very much! The thrilling and mystifying tie-ins to th
Book Concierge
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Book Concierge by: Clara Zukrow
5***** and a ❤

The entire novel is told by Dolores Claiborne in her sworn statement to the investigating police. Her employer of 40 years has died in a tragic accident … or did Dolores kill her? Dolores doesn’t pull any punches, she tells us on page two that she did not kill Vera Donovan (though Vera deserved killing, more than once … she was a high-riding bitch). No, Dolores did nothing to hasten old Mrs Donovan’s ending … but she did kill her husband, Joe St George, twenty-nine years ago.

K
Janie Johnson
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-challenge
This was the first book I chose to read for the Spookfest Read-A-Thon and one of the few I have not read of Stephen King's works. Let me first say that this is not a horror book as I first thought it would be coming from Stephen King. It is, in a way, a mix of historical fiction and mystery. I loved that and I have to say that it was very engaging, very fluid and easy to read. King tells a very powerful tale with this book.

In this book we have a woman named Delores Claiborne, whose husband died
Anna
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich hätte niemals gedacht, dass mir dieses Buch so unter die Haut gehen würde.. ich konnte es kaum aus der Hand legen. Die Geschichte ist wahnsinnig fesselnd und die Protagonistin eine unfassbare Frau. Meine ausführliche Rezension folgt auf dem Blog.
Davor Petričević
"DOLORES, PONEKAD JE POTREBNO BITI GADURA DA BI PREŽIVJELA"

Prošlo je više od godinu dana kada sam se zadnji puta družio s imaginacijom velikog gospodina Kinga, tako da je bilo vrijeme da ponovno zavirim u njegov uvrnuti mozak. Kao i uvijek, nisam se prevario jer sam dobio jednu vrlo dobru priču o disfunkcionalnoj obitelji, koja nema fantastičnih elemenata pa time spada u, kako ja to volim reći, obična Kingova djela.

Radnja započinje kada se glavna protagonistica Dolores sprema ispričati svoju pri
Shaun
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This was a little different from other works that I've read by Stephen King. Kind of a trumped up monologue, it's more of a "why-done-it" suspense/psychological thriller than a spine-tingling horror.

Ultimately it's a story that explores the complexity of human relationships, motivation, and disappointment using well-drawn, layered, and interesting characters that border on caricatures--in other words, the kind of book I love.

The dialect/dialogue is also quite impressive, even if occasionally a l
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
According to a book of Stephen King criticism that I recently didn't finish reading because it was by and large total nonsense, some of Mr. King's squillion readers complained in the late 80s when people got concerned about these things that he didn't really DO women characters -- anodyne props, madonna/whore, blah blah blah. Being Stephen King, he apparently responded by saying "Then I shall write Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game." While I don't think that child molestation and abusive husba ...more
Franco  Santos
Muchas veces ser una cabrona es lo único a lo que una mujer desesperada puede aferrarse.

Es un libro diferente de King. Es un drama muy desgarrador. Es increíble la capacidad de este autor para tocar las cuerdas más ocultas de nuestros corazones.

Me encariñé muchísimo con Dolores Claiborne. Y obviamente Vera Donovan... Es uno de los mejores personajes jamás creados por King, en mi opinión.

En algunas partes se me hizo bastante pesado, sin embargo esta novela me tocó el alma.

Tiene un final muy f
Brian Hodges
This is the Stephen King book that I recommend to anyone who says they don't like horror books. Simply put, this is the story of a woman who kills her husband... I'm not giving anything away, you know this from the first few pages. This is as good as any suspense novel you'll find, but with real, true character development that makes you care about the protagonist, sympathize with her decision and feel genuinely sick to your stomach as she prepares to do the evil deed.

I tore through this one in
11811 (Eleven)
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I somehow skipped this one when I was growing up. That was a mistake. I didn't see the movie yet either but I'll remedy that this weekend. This is a little shorter than the average King novel but I still loved it. If you like Stephen King at all you'll probably like this. Recommended.
Mandy
It's been a while since I read a Stephen King book, and I picked this one up thinking that I'd actually already read it.
If I have read it before I can't remember but I loved this book this time around.
This whole book is Dolores Claiborne telling the reader her story, and of course, this being Stephen King, it works brilliantly. I was shocked in parts, surprised in others, and very satisfied with the whole thing by the end.
An excellent story, from the best story-teller I've ever read.
Sarah Anne
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah Anne by: Nathan
This was a really interesting book. I think what I loved most is that the whole story is Dolores's confession to the police. It starts out with her saying she understands her rights and then she just tells her story. The story never goes from any other POV, it's simply her confession. She goes back and forth in time a bit but it's never confusing. It was actually really well done. And the narration on the audio!!! It was phenomenal. And I finally know how to pronounce "Ayuh".

It starts with Dolor
Clare Bear
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unlike most King novels I believe, this does not include anything supernatural. It is an interesting story told by the title character in the form of an unbroken monologue. A hard-working abused mother of one, Dolores starts her story where she is being accused of the murder of her long time, aged wealthy employer Vera Donovan, with suspicions also about the disappearance of Dolores' no good sleaze bag husband.

There are some great lines in this book, as Dolores and Vera's working relationship mo
  • The Regulators
  • Hideaway
  • Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • Night Visions 5
  • Others
  • The Throat
  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book
  • I Shudder at Your Touch
  • Mine
  • The God Project
More about Stephen King...

“Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman's got to hold on to.” 1829 likes