Start by marking “Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes (Goosebumps, #34)” as Want to Read:
Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes (Goosebumps, #34)

Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes

(Classic Goosebumps #19)

SOMEONE'S BEEN STALKING IN MY GARDEN!

Two pink flamingos. A whole family of plaster skunks. Joe Burton's dad loves those tacky lawn ornaments. But then he brings home two ugly lawn gnomes. And that's when the trouble starts.
Late at night. When everyone's asleep.
Someone's creeping in the garden. Whispering nasty things. Smashing melons. Squashing tomatoes.
No way two dumb old
Published 1995 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes

✨Tamara
#34 "Keep off their grass!"
Joe's dad loves his tacky lawn ornaments. He loves things like pink flamingos and animal family is made out of plaster. But when he brings home two lawn gnomes the trouble begins. Vegetables squashed in the garden, weird sounds at night and other strange things seem to be pointing to the lawn gnomes as the culprits. But they're only fake ornaments aren't they?
Carmen
Mar 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
Okay, based on this book and the previous The Horror at Camp Jellyjam, I have to conclude that Stine has lost his mind.

Joe is 12 - a goofball, prankster, and general brat. His sister, Mindy, age 14, super-organized. Also rather a brat. Stine has a really hard time creating likable children, I've noticed. Moose is Joe's huge, very physical and energetic best friend. Moose's dad and Joe's dad are next door neighbors who are engaged in a "garden war" involving competing rather seriously as to who c
Richard Cardenas
The TV episode of this is WAY better than the book and that normally doesn't' get said but in this case, it is true for me. This wasn't creepy or scary at all, I remember picking this up as a kid and then putting it down. Now I remember why haha still love Goosebumps though. :)
Poonam
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I heard the audiobook for this one and it is soo much fun. This is a horror read but it is meant for young kids.
If you want to read something light with thrills I would advise to pick up any book from the Goosebumps series.
The course of the story is very predictable but as the audiobook was soo good I have given this 3 stars- it added to all the thrill ;)
Rebecca McNutt
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god.

This book was hilarious, I remember reading it when my parents got our family car stuck on top of Kelly's Mountain in Cape Breton. I was in the third grade at the time, and my dad had bought my sister and I each a Goosebumps book. This one made us both laugh a lot, and though I consider it to be really dorky now that I'm an adult, it's still nostalgic to re-read it and I hope that other kids get the chance to read it. :)
Josiah
Oct 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
One thing that has long impressed me about R.L. Stine is the variety of descriptions he gives for the characters in his stories. No two people are ever described in quite the same way in the Goosebumps books; they're tall, rail-thin and wear all pink, making them look like a flamingo, or are the only short, pudgy, dark-haired member of their family surrounded by tall, skinny blondes, or they have any of a practically endless variety of other characteristics that allow the reader to clearly and ...more
Danny
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comfort-books
Ahhh, the Goosebump days. I would borrow so many of these from the library they seriously considered extending my limit of books checked out at one time. R.L. Stine you were a reprieve from a harsh and dreary childhood in which my mind wandered far away from the troubles of the day. I stole books into my bed and read far into the night by the faintest of lights. I might have better eyesight were it not for you; however, I regret not one page or line.
Ken
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a weak entry into the series, feels like Stine was being lazy with this one.

Mischievous gnomes felt very similar to Slappy the Dummy.
Anne Herondale
Second Goosebumps book for our book club! It was lamest than the first and didn't enjoy it as much so here's a 3-star rating
it'chy
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft
the titular villains actually refered to themselves as elves!
Storm Arashi
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was bored and needing some nostalgia so I wound up listening to this on audibook..... Took me back to childhood when I was sitting on my couch late at night reading these books. I loved that the narrators all had different voices and that were was even music scores. Added to it if you ask me. Not as scary as I remember it but it was still a fun experience.
Tracey
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't trust dolls or lawn ornaments or mannequins or puppets that come to life. I mean, NEVER! That shit creeps me out to the max.
Sarah Marie
2.5 stars. I feel very neutral on this one. Review to come.
Sarah Theis
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book freaked me out and made scared of lawn gnomes! Loved it! ❤🤣
Tan
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rpabookclub
I was kind of underwhelmed by this book, to be quite honest. After reading 'Welcome to Dead House', I expected another creepy story, but this one was quite predictable, and didn't really have that 'spook' factor I have come to associate with Goosebumps books. A very easy read, but a little bit of a disappointment.
Tarissa
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun Goosebumps story. Not truly scary, or even creepy. Yes, the lawn gnomes do come alive. And do mischievous things. Honestly, it's not frightening as a Stine story goes, but it is certainly an out-of-the-ordinary experience, or at least not one that anyone will actually encounter in real life. So there is some imagination behind the plot, for sure.
Cilla Almgren
My fiancee blames this book for her fear of Garden Gnomes (she read it when she was 7) so naturally I had to read it
Shaun
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: goosebumps
On the one hand this is one of the better examples of the typical Goosebumps formula. Goof off practical joker kid isn't believed by parents when the supernatural starts happening. On the other hand, by book #34 in the series, this formula is wearing thin. Also, the lawn gnomes make pretty good tricksters, but they are not particularly scary. Not even for a child, I would imagine.
Jacob Hablewitz
Personal Response

This was a very mind blowing story written by R.L. Stine. The twists of the characters actions always kept my mind racing and thinking about what was going to happen next. I enjoyed reading this book. It was a shorter book, but still used more complex words making it more interesting. My friend recommended that I read this book, so I took the opportunity.

Summary

Joe was just like any other boy. He liked fun and was always getting into mischief. His dog named Buster was anothe
Katy
Some background—I have fond memories of the Goosebump books, and some memories of the original TV show. I decided to reread these old classics and see if they still held up for a modern-day adult horror enthusiast. Since I don’t expect any kids who might be reading these books for the first time to find this, all reviews will contain spoilers.

I was not at all interested in the premise of this book, which probably explains why I never bothered to read it as a kid. Lawn gnomes just aren't scary to
Jinbin
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advisory08-09
Joe and Mindy's father bought home two lawn gnomes and named then Hap and Chip from the lawn ornament store. Something strange starts to happen after they bring home the gnomes. Their neighbor, Mr. McCall's casaba melons are smashed, his car is covered with black paint, all the troubles begin to happen. Later, Joe suspects all the troubles are caused by the two gnomes. However, no one believes him when he tries to inform them that the gnomes are alive. Joe attempts to convince his friend Moose a ...more
Kayla Anderson
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 4 stars because it was the first chapter book I ever read. I remember going into the library and the librarian was showing all of the older grades the new Goosebumps series they got in. I wanted so badly to read one, but she would only allow certain grades to check these out. She did make an exception for me and had me read the first couple of pages to her for proof that I could read it (it was above my reading level, of course).

I was ecstatic when she let me check the book out!
David Santos
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I almost did not read this. I started reading it but the Moose character seemed...how can I say this nicely...stupid! And compared to other characters he was! Poorly written. The story is kind of typical for all Goosebumps books. The parents never believe their child when he tells them the Gnomes are alive. Spending the next few chapters trying to convince and prove. It was good to see what the gnomes were going to do next, but I skipped the interaction between the son and parents, because its a ...more
Christian Serdon
This was also an amazing book of the Goosebumps franchise. And like The Girl Who Cried Monster, this slapped the shit outta me.

And yes, I actually debated myself back then what is the correct pronunciation of 'gnome', and I realized it was awesome and I researched words that have the same rule.

Well, the gnomes are actually moving when nighttime comes and they do shitty things that only the three (If I am correct the protagonists are three in here) protagonists can observe and see and so they con
Bryce Behn
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book "Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes" was a great book! I love these books because they're supposed to be scary, but to me they're funny. I would recommend this book to younger children looking for a good, scary read. I really enjoyed this book because it was a pretty easy read for me. My favorite character was Moose. Moose was a funny character; kind of reminds me of my friend, Mason. Moose likes to rough house with people and play a lot of pranks on them. The other character's name is Joe. He ...more
Donald Armfield
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Lawn gnomes always looked cool to me. Hanging out on a persons lawn with their pointy hats and beards. One day I hope to have a house with lawn gnomes.

Joe's summer has begun and something is causung mischief in his yard and the neighbors yard. After getting grounded for "not painting faces on the neighbors melons, growing in his garden" Joe and his best friend goes out in the middle of the night and find out who is squashing gardens.

The end is suspenseful with over one hundred lawn gnomes chant
Connie
Source: I read this book online.
Cost: Free

Title: Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes
Series: Goosebumps #34
Author: RL Stine
Overall Rating: 2 stars

It's a no from me.

Lawn Gnomes? That are evil? No, they aren't evil, they're painted porcelain that aren't in the slightest bit scary, in this book, they didn't even do anything evil! They just became like little poltergeists and just reeked mischief. This book was not scary or creepy, it was just a meh book with meh storyline.

Not for me I'm afraid.
Isaac Danke
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes" is the best and greatest book I have ever read in my entire lifetime. This story has to be the best "Goosebumps" book R.L. Stine has ever written. It's about two lawn gnomes that come to life when nobody is watching. The main character, Moose, sees the gnomes moving and creates a plan to catch them! I would recommend this book to almost anyone, because it will hook you into the story very early on and it is a very easy read.
Lindsay
After seeing the trailer for the upcoming movie Goosebumps (which looks really cool) I was going to read all the Goosebumps books. But that's a lot of books. So I just picked this one because I always wanted a lawn gnome. Kind of got off to a slow start and the characters were annoying, but kids would probably enjoy it.
Glenn Smith
Oct 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Currently rereading my original Goosebumps collection

This book was too formulaic, and not in a good way. It had the same false cliffhangers from previous books, and it just wasn't that scary or interesting. Not a very memorable entry in the Goosebumps canon.

Read from October 9, 2013 - October 9, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lawn Care Tulsa 1 1 Oct 22, 2018 02:11AM

• The Discovery (Animorphs, #20)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Uma Aventura no Egipto

R. L. Stine b

Classic Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)
  • One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • The Werewolf of Fever Swamp (Goosebumps, #14)
  • The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps, #20)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps, #23)
  • Vampire Breath (Goosebumps, #49)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Night of the Living Dummy II (Goosebumps, #31)
“I dreamed about melons that night. I dreamed that a casaba melon grew in our front yard. Grew and grew and grew. Bigger than our house. Something startled me out of my melon dream. I fumbled for my alarm clock. One A.M. Then I heard a howl. A low, mournful howl. Outside the house. I jumped out of bed and hurried to the window.” 0 likes
“there is nothing I love better than slamming the ball in my older sister’s face and making her chase after it.” 0 likes