Start by marking “Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  244 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Do your job, do it well, and you'¬?ll be rewarded, right? Actually, probably not. According to career guru Donald Asher advancement at work is less about skill sets and more about strategy. WHO GETS PROMOTED, WHO DOESN'¬?T, AND WHY details exactly what puts one employee on the fast track to an exceptional career, while another stays on the treadmill to mediocrity.Whether y ...more
Published June 8th 2011 by Ten Speed Press (first published May 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why

Chandler Alexander
Good book

This book OPENED my eyes to many situations that one will face in the corporate world. A good read for sure!
erjan avid reader
this book has given tremendous value to me!

it tells the LAWS of career building - plan/work + luck.

must read for everyone who wants to know how to get good job.

h.r dept does not CARE about your promotion and problems!

you have to make yourself noticed!
Omar Khateeb
A good book that will help you reflect on how much political capital you have at the office and whether you have enough to move up the ranks. Biggest take away is that the best/irreplaceable in their job rarely move up. Develop a succession plan, befriend the powerful, and don't be a wild card.
Sonie
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read -- does a good job of outlining tips with very specific examples of how to combat social/political issues in the workplace. Getting promoted is about more than putting your head down and getting the work done, and this book helps illustrate that.
Jody
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Second Edition of Donald Asher’s, Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn’t, and Why, Donald Asher, a career consultant, sets out to provide the fast-track careerist with high level or non-remedial information on how to advance their career in a quick, professional manner. He provides tips on timing, getting noticed, learning new skills and the art of sales, among several other areas that business professionals will need to succeed in today’s business environment. Each chapter, or “tip”, is peppered ...more
Ryan Dejonghe
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If the title of this book appeals to you, then the introduction alone is worth the price of admission. Donald Asher highlights the first book of the same title, and explains what’s new. Most importantly, he reveals some of the best advice of the whole book: “the biggest mistake employees make is to think that promotions are given based on past performances.” I started this book almost two months ago, took a break, and am now just finishing it. In that time, I have seen two people passed over for ...more
Rafael Bandeira
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rafael by: my boss
Want to make your way into that raise or promotion? This book is certainly a good asset for that. Definitely not a kick-off step, and also not a map for it - you ought to be on your way already, doing a superb work, and willing to go that extra mile for a career boost.

This is a delightful reading: easy, quick and fun. Information is consistent, and the concepts are really interesting - also, related topics and real world examples are highlighted throughout the book, which makes it for a very inf
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-spirit
Honest, brilliant uncommon advice on career advancement but not exactly a step by step guide on how to get promoted, if that's what you are looking for.

Dan Asher lays it out so well in this not-for-the-faint-of-heart guide to upward mobility in the corporate landscape. I bought this book because I am in deep research mode as I create my product on cracking the code to get promoted in the corporate world and wanted to read references on the topic. It was hugely helpful and taught me much I did no
Jeff Lampson
An excellent guide for those interested in career advancement. Asher provides an insightful blending of dignified approaches combined with street smart actions. It is written within the context of ten proven strategies. Getting promoted really is a combination of smart positioning, form and content.
David Pretola
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent advice for whomever would like to understand career management and what it takes to be promoted within an organization. Asher does an outstanding job describing techniques and attitude necessary to be noticed and ultimately to be successful in a work environment. This is required reading for anyone who is serious about their career.
Diana Thomsen
While this does contain some very interesting anecdotes and great suggestions as to why people do or don't get promoted in private industry, I found it not very helpful for those of us who work for the government. Not totally useless, as the tips for introverts were helpful, but not a book I would read again unless I changed careers.
Evan
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent advice in this book. I would recommend it to anyone who currently has a job, plans on having one in the future, or who just knows someone with a job lol. Really well written, packed with examples, and succinct. Great book.
Christina
Some interesting insights, but a lot seems like common sense. I found many of the "statistics" bye quoted were dubious, and shouldn't have been used to build a case.

Interesting, but we'll see where I am in 10 years ;)
Jill
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked some of his main points. At times, I felt the writing was a bit informal and some of his analogies were too informal/familiar for my tasts. While rough around the edges, the key points about putting one's best foot forward at work were appreciated.
Michelle
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2016-read
This was a fantastic book. It has forced me to think carefully about how the advice presented would apply to my own unique workplace. I don't know if I will pursue the sort of career Asher describes, but there's a lot of useful information there even if you don't plan to be a CEO someday.
Dulari
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this.
Beverly
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tips. Quick read. Great book for all but I highly recommend for college and graduate students.
Candace
There were some thoughtful parts in the book. I am not sure why he says he wrote it for women and then had one chapter at the end of the book specifically pertaining to women.
Ktt
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Format alternating between standard chapters and interviews/ case studies makes for an enjoyable read
Libertas
tldr; social skills matter. Here are some strategies you can utilize to advance those skills in a manner that benefits your career. Meanwhile read.
copyeditcat
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Asher has become my go-to guy for all things work-related. This book is required reading for new grads or other newbies to the corporate world.
A
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
starts off well, then appears to diverge
Xi Xi
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some advices are good.
an interesting read after all.
Adrian Lee
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth a read - plenty of sage advice from real-world careerists to jolt any reader out of his or her comfort zone.
Tim Jaeger
Daniel
Jan 04, 2013
Neha A
Jan 08, 2017
  • Corporate Confidential: 50 Secrets Your Company Doesn't Want You to Know---and What to Do About Them
  • Secrets to Winning at Office Politics: How to Achieve Your Goals and Increase Your Influence at Work
  • The 12 Bad Habits That Hold Good People Back: Overcoming the Behavior Patterns That Keep You From Getting Ahead
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path From Chaos to Career
  • Your Next Move: The Leader's Guide to Navigating Major Career Transitions
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • The Hard Truth About Soft Skills: Workplace Lessons Smart People Wish They'd Learned Sooner
  • Career Distinction: Stand Out by Building Your Brand
  • Effective Immediately: How to Fit In, Stand Out, and Move Up at Your First Real Job
  • "Headhunter" Hiring Secrets: The Rules of the Hiring Game Have Changed . . . Forever!
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want
  • Unlocking the Clubhouse: Women in Computing
  • The Inner Game of Work: Focus, Learning, Pleasure, and Mobility in the Workplace
  • MBA in a Day: What You Would Learn at Top-Tier Business Schools (If You Only Had the Time!)
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success

“Ambitious people tend to get critical assignments. But if having a full plate keeps you from appearing available when a new opportunity arises, you’ll be passed over, possibly in favor of some laggard who appears to have plenty of time to take on new duties.” 0 likes