Start by marking “Ghost Fever/Mal de Fantasma” as Want to Read:
Ghost Fever/Mal de Fantasma

Ghost Fever/Mal de Fantasma

Do you believe in ghosts?

Well, Elena Padilla’s father didn’t, and that’s a shame, because his disbelief ends up making Elena a very sick girl. In his classic bilingual style, Joe Hayes tells the story of Elena’s ghost fever. The story starts in an old rundown house in a dusty little town in Arizona. Nobody in their right mind will rent that house because…well, a ghost haun
Published September 1st 2006 by Cinco Puntos Press (first published 2004)

Nalmendar76
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book I read is Ghost Fever/Mal de fantasma by Joe Hayes. I liked this book because it was in English as well as Spanish. For me it is a good book because the theme is easy to picture it and be brought put in your imagination.

The book takes place in Duston,Arizona At the beginning it says that the family just moved in and they need a place to stay in. There was a guy in the store who had a store but also had houses to rent. At the begging nobody wanted to live there because they said the hous
Donna Moyotl-Cuatlacuatl
If you are looking for a short and spooky book this is what I recommend. It's written in both English and Spanish. The events are well lined up and very detailed. What's neat about this book is that you're able to imagine exactly what's happening. The book is interesting and only took my 2 days to read it.
Bradley
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: year-2018
Nice little ghost story just in time for e
M.M. Hudson
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is to me, a classic paranormal story. A house has been haunted and its inhabitants are a bit scared. In this case, the ghostly presence of a girl, speaks to the living and makes her understand why she died.

I have watched many a paranormal show where the ghost have been pushed out of a house without trying to find out why the are in limbo to begin with. I enjoyed that the daughter, Elena, in this book, not only helped this girl move on but she set things up so that another could live a good
Brandon
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Javier Chavez
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ghost fever was a great book it has a side for english and it has one for spanish. I think that is good because i think like that it will get more reads and people will like joe hayes books more. The book was about joe and he knew people that seen a ghost. And it was about him staying at a house and he heard some stuff in that house so he decided to stay alone. The book has a girl wearing a wedding dress and is dressed nice but her face if fading into a skull face.

When i started reading this boo
Fernando
I read the book”Ghost Fever” the book is about scary and a little about mystery. I found it interesting because it’s about ghosts and I like like reading scary books. Ghost Fever is a book that has scary and mystery put in one it’s scary and a little of a mystery. It’s where there is this town where a guy own a store but the store sells candy and a kid found a worm inside of it since than nobody bought from the store. Also he had houses and one time he made a big mistake and bought a house the h ...more
Tara Ramos
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ms. Patterson
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
GHOST FEVER is a hugely popular book in my library and I've never had a chance to read it until today. A bilingual telling of a haunted house in a small border town in Arizona and the ghost who haunts the house reminds me of the ghost stories told around campfires or with the flashlight under your chin at sleepovers -- chilling, but not too disturbing. The illustrations add just the right touch to the story, assisting the reader in creating those pictures in one's mind while reading. Highly reco ...more
Iliana Sandoval
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Iliana by: My older sister
This is still one if my favorite books since I was nine. It was one of the first books I ever saw/read at my schools library that I felt showed a little of Mexican culture. This book was first introduced to me by my older sister and then I told my younger sister about. This book is also in English and Spanish which helped me learn English at that age and enjoy my usual Spanish read.
Yeva
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was not impressed with this book. The story is banal, and in no way was it scary or spooky. The only thing good about the book was that is was in English and Spanish, which should help beginning readers in either language. Still, I was disappointed.
Bethe
excellent choice for the Texas Bluebonnet award, sure the dual language text pushed it over the top in the student voting. Enjoyed meeting Joe Hayes at the TBA luncheon, he's a great storyteller in person as well as on the page.
Gustavo Castaneda
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an easy book to understand and it was really interesting book. It kept my attention the whole time, and I did really enjoy it. The most interesting part of the book was at the end because it say something that no one would expect. It was a really good book.
Cathlin
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 4th-or-5th-grade
Love the English to Spanish correlation, but overall just thought the storyline was ok. I can see why my kids will want to read it (it looks creepy), but also where they will be disappointed (not much of a ghost story).
Kortez Jackson
carlos flores
good but not that cool!
Mercedes
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have this book at home and joe hayes signed it for me!!!
Kitty Tomlinson
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Children's book tells the story of Elena who lives in a haunted house in Dustan, AZ. Good. Bilungual with English on one page and Spanish on the opposite page.
Mariah
This is a good, simple bilingual ghost story, set in New Mexico. It has very good kid appeal, and also an authentic Latino flavor.
Jocelyne
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i loved it
Me
Sep 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked the book and its an easy read for people who like ghost/mysteries.
Bayli
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great half scare!
Nikki
Dec 22, 2014 added it
Quick read, super fun and creepy!
Isha
This book is creepy that girl on the cover creeped me out. She looked dead and weird. The picture wit h the broken neck was so DISGUSTING!
Jennifer Flores
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You should read this book because it is awesome. You will love it especially if you like scary books.
Mindy
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a Bluebonnet Book in 2007-2008. It actually scared me! I was so happy that my students have a really GOOD scary book to read!
Stephanie
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Good book.Kinda scary but a good read.
Rose
JF Hay
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Designated New Mexico Eminent Scholar by the New Mexico Commission on Higher Learning (1979).

Joe was the youngest of five children. His father loved to tell stories. The family moved to Arizona where Joe learned to speak Spanish which became an integral part of his storytelling and writing.

In 1979, he began to devote himself full time to sharing stories. He focuses on elementary school audiences