Start by marking “The Golden Door (The Three Doors Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Door (The Three Doors Trilogy, #1)

The Golden Door

(The Three Doors Trilogy #1)

The start of a stirring fantasy trilogy from Emily Rodda, the internationally bestselling author of Dragons of Deltora.

The walled city of Weld is under attack from ferocious flying creatures that raid in the night, bringing death and destruction. The Warden calls for Volunteers to find and destroy the Enemy sending invaders, and the heroes of Weld answer the call one by
Published September 1st 2011 by Omnibus Books

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Door, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Therese You'll have to read it to find out :)

Start your review of The Golden Door (The Three Doors Trilogy, #1)
jv poore
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Undoubtedly one of the best children’s book (age 8 – 12) that I have ever read. Ms. Rodda’s The Golden Door begins in a walled city, which is under attack. The mythical creatures responsible for wreaking havoc and taking lives are described just enough to fuel the imagination. As the frequency of the vicious attacks increases, three brothers begin to theorize about the entity behind these “skimmers”.

The boys, it seems, are not alone in their plotting, as the walled city’s Warden quickly
Oliver Smuhar
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sorry I posted this a little late. I've been busy with my two jobs!
This was a really good book! It had a fantastic concept and the whole plot with Rye was all in all satisfying, and leaves enough space for its sequels. I think the pacing is very straight forward and keeps you at the edge of your seat, especially towards the end where Rodda gives it her all. This book came out when I was in year six and I remember buying it from a big book sale and re-reading has taken me back to that time. It
Raina
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j
Damn, I love this hook.

Yay monsters and walled cities and quests through strange lands. But pair those (awesome) standbys with this hook... and I'm sunk.

Rye's brothers volunteered to hunt down the monsters that swoop down upon the walled city years ago. Now Rye and his mom are destitute and must go work for the government. So Rye decides to lie about his age and follow in the footsteps of his brothers - hopefully to find them and bring them back.
When he gets to the room there are three doors.
Liana
I finished this book an hour or so ago, and I'm still trembling from the suspense.

OH. MY. GOSH. This is for kids?! THIS IS SCARY! I felt like a coward reading it and I'm an adult... *laughs* The Golden Door is a fantastic story, it's about a teenage boy who leaves his city under aged, in hopes to find his lost brother and rid of these terrifying monsters called skimmers - from destroying any more of their homeland in the Weld. I really, really, really liked the plot. The story is extremely
Maryanne
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maryanne by: For newspaper review
In the first book of her new trilogy, master storyteller Emily Rodda weaves her magic once again. The Golden Door introduces Rye, youngest of three brothers. His brothers, and others, have vanished one by one while seeking to stop the deathly flying skimmers which attack and kill the citizens of The Weld.
Rodda unfolds a story full of magic, danger, chance encounters and strange characters who offer assistance at critical junctures. Accustomed to thinking less of himself than his heroic sporty
Ellyn   → Allonsythornraxx
18/10/2018
Hello, I love this trilogy, Please read it. Thank you.

June 2016
5 stars
I loved this and I can't recommend it enough.
Charlotte
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
f you are looking for a book that will introduce your young reader (8 or so years old) to the delightful tropes of the Quest Fantasy, you can read The Hobbit out loud, which is a lovely thing to do. However, if you want said child to read independently (which so many of us do), you could do much worse than offer him or her The Golden Door. Which is to say, I think it achieves what it set out do -- it tells an entertaining story in a very appealing way.

Weld is a world within a wall. Not a big
Jon
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Seen at Scott Reads It
Emily Rodda is an international best-selling author and her Deltora Quest series has sold over 15 million copies across the globe. There is even a Deltora Quest anime in Australia yet I hadn't even heard of Emily Rodda until recently. I'm a fantasy junkie and I bet I would have loved Emily Rodda's books during elementary and middle school. The Golden Door is my first Emily Rodda and I don't expect it to be my last.

The Golden Door is a short but sweet middle-grade novel
Katie W
My kids loved The Belt of Deltora series and one of them got this book for Christmas. We decided to read it aloud and all of us just loved it! Full of adventure, mystery, and even magic, this series is another winner.

Rye and his two older brothers live with their mother in the Weld, a city surrounded by walls. Every night, skimmers come and attack the village, especially those houses that aren't sealed up and silent. If they get a taste of blood, they'll be back, totally demolishing anything in
Jo-Jo
This is a perfect Middle Grade school fantasy for any kids who enjoy adventure and a bit of magic in their books. The characters were memorable and likable for the most part. As an adult reading this book, I found myself happily carried along by the flow of the story. It was a quick, fun read and I can see myself happily continuing on in the series. I can't wait to find out if the other books in the series continue to follow Rye on his adventures or if they follow one of his brothers' ...more
Katie P.
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emily Rodda is one of the best children's writers ever. She's great at creating situations and characters that benefit from luck or privilege or lack thereof the same way that happens in real life. She imbues her stories with social and political elements like propaganda and bias, while still making it understandable and accessible. The only reason it's not a 5 is because I felt like it started a little slowly.
R.J. Rodda
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very well-written children’s book.
Emily Norman
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An exciting adventure! Rodda can always be relied upon for a good story.
Sharon Tyler
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Golden Door is the first book in a new middle grade fantasy series by Emily Rodda. Rye is the youngest of three brothers living in the walled city of Weld. Their city has been under attack by creatures they have called Skimmer, that swoop in during the night and kill and destroy. The Warden of Weld calls for young men to leave the city through a hidden exit and discover the secret of who is creating and sending the Skimmers, but none that are sent return. Rye's bothers each take their turn, ...more
K
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book hooked me in right away, but left me eager for the sequel. As a young adult novel, The Golden Door is a winner with well developed characters, an engaging plot, and a truly unique story.

Emily Rodda is known for her hit series, Deltora Quest, a fantasy series that made her a household name for millions. In The Golden Door, she has another gem that focuses on Rye, the youngest of three brothers living in the fantasy city of Weld. Weld was established ages ago by the Sorcerer Dann as a
Kate Forsyth
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
The first in a new fantasy trilogy by the wonderful Australian children’s author. Emily Rodda, with all of her trademark suspense, adventure and touches of horror, The Golden Door introduces a new hero, Rye, the youngest of three brothers living in the walled city of Weld, which is terrorised by giant skimmers that fly over every night. The city decides to send heroes to find and destroy the source of the skimmers; one by one, the young men of the city set forth, choosing one of three magical ...more
Stef Rozitis
I do not know where Rodda gets so much creativity from. Every book of hers I read I think "oh this will be like Deltora" or something and I brace myself to know what I am going to get. Each time something unpredictable happens twist after twist

What you can by now predict is endearing characters, some simple discussion of gender, class, diversity and politics. A battle between good and evil. Unlikely, flawed and vulnerable heroes who step up magnificently. Idealism and hope. All of that woven
Shannon
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Rye lives in the city of Weld, protected by a giant wall from invaders but not however from the Skimmers which come at night. When the Warden offers a prize to those who can track the origin of these skimmers and stop them, Rye's two older brothers jump at the chance. When they don't return it's up to Rye to find them, and maybe stop the skimmers while he's there.

What started out as an oddly stiff and formal writing style quickly adapted itself to the action and intrigue that we desperately
demonslayer666
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i read this book and it was awesome i love it i am trying to get the silver and wooden door books too i would recomend this book to people who want thrill and suspense like me i am a natural rock climber and i love suspense and thrill so if you are stuck inside and are a thrill seeker this is the book for you and i had the best time reading this book its awesome so please go hit the shelf for good books.
Shannon O'Donnell
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have always loved Emily Rodda. More than any other author I've discovered, her books get reluctant readers to read, especially the Deltora Quest series. When I saw she was beginning a new series, I jumped for joy and immediately requested an ARC. My daughter, who is currently obsessed with dragons, scooped it up when it arrived in the mail, so I had to wait until she was finished reading. All I heard for days was, "This book is SO GOOD, mama!" She loved it, like I knew she would. Emily Rodda ...more
The Styling Librarian
The Golden Door by Emily Rodda – Hong Kong Battle of the Books Selection, 4th grade and up, fantasy- This wasn’t my favorite fantasy novel. I didn’t particularly connect with the main character… also reminded me of the Jack Trueheart fantasy a little bit too much. I do like Emily Rodda’s work, have read numerous books by her and know that this book will be terrific for fantasy readers. Just not my favorite. She did create an interesting world, reminded me of the Patrick Carman’s Elyon series- ...more
Penni Russon
I love how this fits into a very recognisable fairy tale trope - a quest is announced, one brother sets out and doesn't return, then a second, then finally the third brother realises it is down to him, despite his lack of obvious skill. Rodda makes this story her own and I was there for every step of the way. Looking forward to the next two.

I did start reading this aloud with Una (7) but it was too sad for her. Frederique (9) is reading it to herself and really enjoying it - meeting Emily Rodda
Alex
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 8-14 year olds
Rye sets off to find his two older brothers who are lost, presumed dead, after they accepted a quest to find the source of the skimmers which are attacking the city of Weld. Accompanied by an unwelcome orphan, Sonya, Rye soon discovers there is more to his quest than he expected.

The kids gave me this book for Fathers' Day (ulterior motives, perchance?). We finished it together in a week. Classic Emily Rodda. Only downside is now we have to wait months for the next instalment.
Lonleypurplecat
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love love love Emily Rodda's books. The plot is pretty predictable, in the way that something bad happens and the small/weak protagonist goes and tries to save the day. What's not so predictable is what happens along the way.It always amazes me how Rodda somehow makes it all seem so new without being repetitive and dull. I was flicking from page to page, wanting to know how the story was going to play out. This is a great start to Emily Rodda's new series.
Steph
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
A solid beginning to Rodda's new series. I did get a sense of deja vu while reading it, since it is to a large degree not only drawing on the world of Deltora but also on many of the themes and tropes and general structure of her fantastic three part series. However, the Golden Door was overall an enjoyable book, perfect for a quick weekend read for fantasy fans.
Hannah Flink
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book - it brought me back to my childhood days of reading Deltora Quest. Rye reminds me a lot of Lief from DQ and Rodda's writing remains to be captivating and magical. Can't believe it took me this long to pick up the first book of this series! Definitely 5 stars and recommended to anyone who loves children's adventure/quest type books. :)
Margaret
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it

This book was a great one to read to a class. The characters were strong and each chapter left the kids wanting more..now I have to read bk 2 in the series. I think this book is very similar in theme and writing style to Deltora Quest, but is more suited to 10 yrs and up.
Lyn Battersby
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: awards
Lyn is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Lyn herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I will be reviewing and rating this once the AAs are announced.
Tom
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great book if your looking for a risky, dangerous adventure. I picked this book off the shelf because of the name. I found that this book carried me away for hours at a time. I recommend this book for people that are hanging out for an adventure.
Kimberley
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book in the entire world. Emily Rodda has an alien imagination that absolutely no-one can beat. It was fantastic and I can't wait until I get the second book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Withering-By-Sea (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #1)
  • The Battle of Hackham Heath (Ranger's Apprentice: The Early Years #2)
  • Skyborn (Thrones & Bones, #3)
  • Nightborn (Thrones & Bones, #2)
  • Frostborn (Thrones & Bones, #1)
  • Broken Kei (The Broken Ones, #4)
  • The Tournament at Gorlan (Ranger’s Apprentice: The Early Years, #1)
  • The Storm Begins (History Keepers #1)
  • The Royal Ranger: A New Beginning (The Royal Ranger, #1)
  • As Happy as Here
  • A Rose Petal Summer: It’s never too late to fall in love
  • Galloglass
  • High School
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • Diary of Herobrine VS Entity 303 [An Unofficial Minecraft Book] (Minecraft Tales Book 70)
  • Angel Mage
  • Grand Union: Stories
  • The Revenge of the Shadow King (Grey Griffins, #1)
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984.

The Three Doors Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy, #2)
  • The Third Door (The Three Doors Trilogy, #3)
“Fate is strange, and our destinies can be shaped by very small decisions.” 22 likes