Start by marking “Solemn Contract” as Want to Read:
Solemn Contract

Solemn Contract

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Connecticut, 1720: In an attempt to give his family financial security, school master Jem Bradley hires himself out as an indentured servant - and thus begins an odyssey which will take him to the small settlement of Kennet and a burgeoning friendship with enigmatic blacksmith Will Middleton. Trouble is never far away, however, and when Jem is accused of committing a blood ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Manifold Press

To ask other readers questions about Solemn Contract, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solemn Contract

Ije the Devourer of Books
This is a lovely story with a gentle tone of writing. I really enjoyed it and I wish Morgan Cheshire had a huge backlist. This is a historical romance with few sex scenes and much story, which is exactly how I like my books.

Jem Bradley takes on his brother in law's debt and enters into service as an indentured servant. He embraces his new life with gusto until he falls foul of another man's planning and scheming.

Badly beaten Jem is rescued by the local blacksmith Will Middleton, and life takes
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Very lovely story. I loved the connection between Jem and Will, and their developing relationship was done convincingly. No jumping into bed here; the men admitted to their feelings over time, and this was important as far as I was concerned because Will had never considered a relationship with a man before, while Jem had always known his preference.
I loved that (view spoiler). The lack of emphasis o
Heidi Cullinan
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
This book is sweet and charming. Set in early American history, it's not your usual m/m setting, which makes it all the more fun because the period feels accurate, as do the characters. The plot is not complex, but neither is it overly grim or unnecessarily harsh. Classic melodrama which a deft hand for keeping the same melodrama in check. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this and recommend it happily.
Elisa Rolle
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
2011 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reviews
Solemn Contract is an exquisite gem of a novel which may just be my favourite book of the year. Admittedly, when I first read the blurb for this book, I dismissed it, thinking it wasn't for me, however I'm so glad I gave it a chance.

The book is set in Connecticut in 1720 and opens with Jem learning the true extent of his brother-in-law's mounting debts and his sister's fears her husband will end up in prison. Morgan Cheshire manages to pack a lot of information in the opening chapter and the cha
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, historical
Nice historical love story. Slow but even pacing, likeable characters, good story. More like 3.5 stars - and again my 3.5 are many other people's 4.5 but I need to leave room at the top :-).
R.A. Padmos
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical
Solemn contract is a charming story, rich in historical details, told in an understated manner by an author who obviously knows what she's doing.

Warmly recommended.
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I love the unusual historical setting, the subtle writing and the slow-developing love story. Brilliant novel!

"Looking across at Will, a wave of love and pride swept through Jem. What he wanted was to touch and be close to him, to know what those firm lips felt like in a kiss - which was something, he thought darkly, that Kirsty from the tavern probably knew. This jealous and ugly thought brought him crashing back to earth; he had earned Will's friendship and trust and that should be enough for
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars...Absolutely lovely book!
Michael Joseph
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-historical
My review of this book can be read at Speak Its Name.
Bellbomb Bellbomb
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wish the POVs were more limited to just the two MCs so the story could embrace more mystery and poignancy. However, I really like the tone and the premise of this novel.
Feb 25, 2014
Jan 23, 2015
Jun 09, 2013
May 27, 2013
Mar 14, 2013
Nov 29, 2011
Julie Bozza
Feb 06, 2012
rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2013
May 03, 2014
Aug 05, 2014
Sep 07, 2014
Jan 12, 2018 added it
It's very difficult for me to review a book that I have mixed feelings about. A few CWs: (view spoiler)

This book is a gay-for-you romance, which is not my preference to read about. It's double gay-for-you, sort of. (view spoiler)
Feb 03, 2014
A resident of the north-west of England, Morgan Cheshire has had a lifelong interest in botany and ecology and has lately developed a taste for genealogy too – and rapidly discovered a colorful family history to explore! She is also a patch-worker and quilter, a gardener when time permits, and the enthusiastic grandmother of four boys and two girls. She has been creating and sharing fiction for mo ...more
More about Morgan Cheshire...