Start by marking “Ten” as Want to Read:
Ten

Ten

3.70  ·  Rating details ·  10,165 ratings  ·  2,169 reviews
It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie are looking forward to two days of boys, booze, and fun-filled luxury. But what starts out as fun turns twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine. And things only get worse from there.

With a storm raging outside, the t
Published September 18th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Ten, please sign up.
MS
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
YA Novels of 2012
1,323 books — 10,713 voters
The Raven Boys by Maggie StiefvaterAlice in Zombieland by Gena ShowalterWhat's Left of Me by Kat ZhangHidden by Sophie JordanUnspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
September 2012
185 books — 306 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
A group of teenagers arrive on an isolated island for a party weekend. But one by one, they all start to die...

If I'd never read Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, or as it used to be called, Ten Little Indians (view spoiler), this retelling of that classic mystery might've been a more agreeable surprise with its many twists and turns. Even though my recollection of the specific details of who did what in the original story are fairly fu
karen

this isn't going to be one of my two-star reviews where i trash the book and scream and moan about how terrible it was. because it wasn't that it was terrible, it was just...trite. if you have read a million books, like i have, there is nothing here that is going to surprise you (except for the fact that the people in this book put TOMATOES in the FRIDGE!! - why would you ruin a perfectly good tomato???).

it is sortof kindof a retelling of and then there were none, but not really, not at the end
Evie
I think I need a cold shower, cup of hot choco and a teddy bear to snuggle up with.
This book destroyed my mental stability.
Suck on a thumb much?

Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
My initial and only thought after finishing this book: (view spoiler)

TEN by Gretchen McNeil is a retelling or more appropriately a reimagining of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None, only this time it’s about teenagers and as a result wayyyyy pettier.

I read this book super quickly, as I do most mystery/thrillers. The suspense was built really well and it left me on the edge of my seat even though, from the synopsis and my prior knowl
Stacia (the 2010 club)

The words were centered on the title page, written in red ink. It should have been ominous. It should have kept Meg from turning the next page.

Not so much.

The word (review) was my own addition.

Who ever listens when told to stop doing something? The words "keep out" aren't much different from waving a red cape in front of an angry bull. It only dares us to charge right in.

You know, I can't even fault her for doing it. If people were dropping like flies all around me (this is not a spoiler...I
Blythe
Vengeance is mine; I will repay.
For the time when their foot shall slide.
For the day of their disaster is near.
And their doom comes swiftly.

Ten is the story of ten (ha! Get it? Because the book is called Ten? Ah. I'll just stop now...) teenagers who are all invited to a secret house party on a secluded island over the course of a three-day weekend. Expecting to have a fun, drunken and hormonally stereotypical time at the party, best friends Meg and Minnie decide to go, despite Meg's reservati
Kate (GirlReading)
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-favourites
3.75* I am so conflicted on how I felt about this book!! On one hand, I LOVED it. It was gripping, heart pounding, addictive and so intense, a lot more so than I'd expected. It genuinely had me freaked out at points and kept me guessing until the last page which is everything I want in a thriller and something I rarely find. Yes it was incredibly cliche but in such a fun way, that it didn't take away from the enjoyment (although there was a questionable moment when a couple decided the perfect t ...more
Jill Heather
Sep 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Have you read And Then There Were None? Congratulations, you've already read this book, except it was better the first time. The plots are identical, except all the vengeance is about high school stuff and this book is even more offensive about mental illness.

On the other hand, did you desperately want Christie's book to end with an entirely unearned happy ending and without the "here's how it all went down in clever detail" chapter? Even then, you don't want to read this book.

Also, and most o
Mitch
Sep 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
The last time I remember seeing this setup - a seemingly random group of people is lured to a remote mansion where they’re killed one by one in ever more gruesome fashion in a half-crazed bid for revenge, it was an episode of Family Guy. Seth MacFarlane cribbed the plot from Agatha Christie, sure, but it was still a damn funny parody. In Ten, Gretchen McNeil takes that exact same well-worn story of horror and revenge, but adds nothing new to it really.

The only thing this book doesn’t lack for is
Nikki Katz
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just had the amazing opportunity to read Ten ... and that's a feat in itself, because (as I've told Gretchen one hundred times) "I don't do horror!" But this book was perfect. It had just the right amount of romantic tension, character quirks, and mystery thrown in with the horror elements to keep me from cowering under my blankets with all of the lights on. Okay. Maybe I did cower under the blankets with a couple lights on. Shh, don't tell anyone.

The twists and turns kept me guessing until th
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
I didn't expect a mystery / horror novel will put me out of the reading slump. The summary is intriguing but I wasn't that sure if I'm going to love it or not because mystery/thriller/horror books aren't really my type of genre. I started this one last night and it totally gave me goose bumps. It is fast-paced, intriguing, creepy and it made me nervous. I just couldn't put this book down.

Ten teens. Three Days. One Killer.

A house party on a secluded island wherein teens should have been having a
Jen
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
In all fairness I didn't think this book was half bad (comparatively and in its own right).

Naturally it's not and can never live up to Agatha Christie's original tale (And Then There Were None) but the author definitely did the book justice by being able to mould it to the Young Adult genre.

Mystery aside this book was pretty much a character piece as we tried to suss out who the killer was through analysing everyone's behaviours. Minnie and Meg (Why both beginning with M though?! That was so con
Katherine
”Shh!!! Don’t Spread the Word!
WHAT: Epic house party
WHEN: Presidents’ Day Weekend
WHERE: White Rock House on Henry Island
WHY: Because if you miss this party you’ll regret it forever.”

Don’t worry sweetheart, I already regret it.

Whenever an author tries to retell a classic, it’s always a hit or miss. The real key is to try and strike a balance between staying true and faithful to the plot while adding something new and exciting in the mix. Some books manage to pull I off (Stone Field, This Dark E
Brad Sells
I can't even begin to explain how much I love TEN! TEN is a fast-paced thriller, with jump-out-of-your-seat moments, secrets that will shock you, and an ending that will terrify you until the very last page.

I should start off by saying that i read TEN in one night: start to finish. I couldn't put it down! McNeil composed a mystery novel in which all of the events in this book actually made sense. She did a terrific job with this novel, and I would recommend it to anybody -- mystery lover or not
Colette
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Going into this book, be warned...once you get past page 60, you won't be able to put it down! Both shivering with fear and my heart pumping loudly, my eyes never left the pages of Ten. YA horror fans must read this book!
Carrie
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this. And it was so effing good that I'm jealous of MYSELF for having read it.
Reynje

I’m not familiar with And Then There Were None, though I understand that it served as the basis for this contemporary story of teen murder during a weekend house party. Now I kind of wish I’d read the Agatha Christie first, and not completely spoiled myself with Ten, as I have it on good authority that the original is brilliant.

Which is my roundabout way of saying that this was not brilliant.

But not terrible either. Being unaware of the plot twists made me curious enough to read Ten q
Repix
Jul 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Diez negritos de Agatha Christie con adolescentes y cutre a más no poder.
Huye.
Steven
Pretty much a ripoff of Agatha Christie, but the plot adaptation and storyline behind the murders was decent and it was entertaining to read.
Lindsay Cummings
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: harpercollins12
sooo good and creepy. I was completely taken off guard by who the killer was! Loved it!! Read it while I was home alone for an entire weekend. Big mistake, because I spent the entire night huddled by my shotgun while it stormed outside! I swore I was going to die, lol. Great book!! Quick, fast-paced read!
Jorge
Apr 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
AL FINAL DE LA RESEÑA HAY UN SPOILER Y DESVELO PARTE DEL FINAL. AVISADOS QUEDÁIS. LUEGO NO QUIERO QUEJAS.

Opinión rápida: no me ha gustado nada. Increíble, mal explicada, aburrida...

OPINIÓN ALGO MÁS LARGA

Se acabó. Por fin. Sin sorpresas ya que sigue fielmente la estructura de "Diez negritos" (más la película que la novela). Y sin credibilidad. Resolución poco creíble, personajes planos, nulo ritmo... Al menos se cargan a varios de estos cargantes personajes y algo se anima, pero tampoco como para
Me, My Shelf and I
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-read
Once you open this book, you will be unable to set it done until you turn the last page! It was completely and totally, unputdownable!

Ten is a terrifying, bloody and suspense filled roller coaster ride, you'll get back in line for again and again!

YA definitely needs more Horror/Suspense novels, and Gretchen McNeil just set the standard by which all future books in the genre will be compared!

(Full review to come closer to release date! Watch www.MeMyShelfAndI.com for blog tour, interviews and gi
Colleen Houck
What a great mystery! I was totally surprised by who the murderer turned out to be. The setting was just as scary as the story. If you like who-done-its and being scared, read this one. At night. ;)
Gabrielle Carolina
Feb 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
I could write a long, ranting review, but here's the skinny:

If you loved Gretchen McNiel's debut and love angsty teen stories, no matter how they take shape, or even if they take shape, then keep this one on your TBR and enjoy every melodramatic minute.

If you're a Gretchen newbie intrigued by Ten's premise and haven't read Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None yet, push this one back on your must-have list and grab the original then decide.

If like me you're new to McNeil and wanted to try T
Amy Plum
Loved this awesome teen horror/thriller. Won't spoil, but the second to last death scene is so amazingly goretastic I had to read it thrice. One could even say...operatic! ;)
Rachel
Weird book. Not written very well. Totally predictable.

One of the main character was a total asshole, and of course she was mentally ill!!! Can horror authors stop using mentally ill characters in a negative way please? I don't care if (view spoiler)
Kate
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-in-2012
My full review won't be up until a little closer to publication date, but this has got to be one of my favorite reads of the year! It reminded me a lot of old school YA, the horror/thriller stories of my own youth. The style is more Christoper Pike (and ya'll know I love Pike) than R.L. Stine, with teens actually behaving in a teen manner.

I was a bit afraid that this book would end up watered down and that only one or two people would die off screen, but nope, McNeil brings the horror! I was th
Lexi-304
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I honestly didn't see that coming AT ALL! People were saying in their reviews how it was predictable, and maybe I thought something along the lines of it for a few pages but then it diminished. After the sketchy way Meg kept insinuating that T.J. might be the killer than saying he couldn't be, I was getting very suspicious. I didn't want him to be the killer thought because I thought they were really cute together! Plus, I loved Kumiko... She was rude and seemed to be one of the first to realize ...more
Sub_zero
Mar 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5/5

Revisión del clásico 'Diez negritos' cuya autora bien podría habernos ahorrado el insufrible lastre de su existencia absolutamente insustancial. Una isla prácticamente desierta, una invitación a la fiesta más salvaje de la temporada y un grupo adolescente de hormonas vergonzosamente hiperdesarrolladas que van siendo despachados poco a poco ante la indiferente mirada del lector. No lo vamos a negar, la propuesta de Gretchen McNeil tiene cierto encanto noventero heredado de los slashers holly
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(More of a 2.5)

Overall I found this book to be pretty entertaining, but it definitely had it's faults.
Zoey Upah 2 3 Apr 13, 2018 12:15PM
12th Grade Englis...: Carlos M's winter break book review 1 8 Jan 11, 2018 09:49PM
Carlos M's winter break book review 1 2 Jan 11, 2018 09:45PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review 1 3 May 07, 2017 09:31PM
Who did you think the killer was? (Spoilers) 24 186 Jan 28, 2017 09:55AM
The Very Omnibus ...: October's Book of the Month-Ten 2 8 Oct 17, 2016 05:55PM
  • The Turning
  • 34 Pieces of You
  • Cold Fury (Cold Fury, #1)
  • Blind Spot
  • The Unquiet
  • Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)
  • The Little Woods
  • Survive
  • The Believing Game
  • Glimmer
  •  Beautiful Lies
  • Don't Turn Around (PERSEF0NE, #1)
Gretchen McNeil is the author of the YA horror/suspense novels POSSESS, 3:59, RELIC, GET EVEN, GET DIRTY, and TEN (a YALSA Top Ten Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, a Romantic Times Top Pick, and a Booklist Top Ten Horror Fiction for Youth) all with Balzer + Bray for HarperCollins. Gretchen’s first YA contemporary I’M NOT YOUR MANIC PIXIE DREAM GIRL, also with Balzer + Bray, hit shelve ...more
“How much time had she wasted living in fear? Living for others? How much of her life would she continue to let slip away without enjoying a single moment?
That ended. Here and now.”
2 likes