Jump to ratings and reviews

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fasten Seat Belt sign has been turned on, but feel free to ignore it, because sometimes life is best lived on its dizzy edges. Your cruising altitude today will be sky high, and you will be flying at staggering speeds as you travel alongside Zoe Tisdale, former Valley Girl and rock star turned bored butter saleswoman.

On the heels of a brush with mortality, Zoe concludes that she's been letting time pass her by. Realizing she needs to awaken her life's tired refrains, Zoe vows to recapture the one chapter of her life that truly mattered to her - her days as drummer for The Flip-Flops, a spirited, sassy all-girl garage band that almost hit the big time back in 1987. But reuniting the band won't be easy. The girls who were once the whiz kid guitarist, the prom queen bass player, and the hippie lead singer grew up and became women who are now a reclusive dog trainer, a wealthy socialite, and a sociopathic environmentalist. Will Zoe bring the band back together and give The Flip-Flops a second chance at stardom? Is it possible to fully reclaim the urgent energy of youth?

As you follow this wild flight path, please know that your destination could be anywhere at all, complimentary oxygen is provided upon request, and baggage flies free. We hope you enjoy the ride, and Thank You For Flying Air Zoe.

258 pages, Paperback

2 books46 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 41 reviews
Profile Image for Leah.
1,583 reviews293 followers
July 17, 2011
Thank You For Flying Air Zoe is a book that’s been on my radar for a little while now. I don’t know how I first stumbled across it, but the title stuck with me and I kept a keen eye out on Amazon for its release. It’s Erik Atwell’s debut novel, and it appears to be self-published through BookTrope, but because of its awesome title I was always going to read it. It eventually appeared on Amazon and since the Kindle version is a mere $2.99, I treated myself to it and it’s one of my best decisions of the year. This book is a steal. I’m the first person to say self-published novels can’t be five stars – if they’re really that good, surely they’d already be published traditionally, no? – but I’d never have guessed it wasn’t published by a major publisher, it was excellent.

Thank You For Flying Air Zoe had me hooked from the very first page. It’s the kind of novel I was excited to come back to as I climbed into bed each night. I even stayed up until 1am to finish the novel, that’s how enjoyable it was and I’m not one to stay up so late so lightly (I need my sleep). Recently I’ve really been struggling with Chick Lit novels. They’re all so predictable and although I’m well aware Chick Lit is meant to be predictable, it gets a little bit wearing every time a main character takes back an ex-boyfriend who should instead be consigned to the I’ll-not-even-touch-him-with-a-barge-pole pile. But Thank For You Flying Air Zoe was a breath of fresh air, and while it was predictable (like I said, Chick Lit is mainly predictable), it was my favourite kind of predictable. If that even makes sense.

Usually I find it difficult to connect to characters who are 35+ and with Zoe and her ex-band-mates all being into their 40s, I was concerned I wouldn’t really care for Zoe’s story, but Zoe, Ginger, Lo and Melinda are the youngest 40-somethings ever. I could quite easily picture them all as much younger. I mean, seriously, they’re the coolest adults ever. Zoe is easily one of my favourite Chick Lit characters. After a difficult flight from Mexico (and by ‘difficult’ I mean ‘near-death experience’) Zoe decides she needs to shake her life up a bit. She isn’t happy being a butter – organic butter in fact – saleswoman and jacks her job in and decides to make her dreams come true: She’s going to re-unite The Flip-Flops, the all-girl garage band she had when she was a teenager with Ginger, Lo and Melinda. Not only that but they’re going to perform at The Whisky. I found the plot to be insanely absorbing. Not many Chick Lit books sees a girl doing everything she can to make her dreams come true and I enjoyed Zoe’s joie de vivre (God, I hope that’s the right expression).

Like I said, I loved the characters. Zoe was amazing and I was so incredibly sad to leave her at the end of the novel. I’m not someone who has dreams (God, that makes me sound like some kind of weirdo). What I mean is, when I was growing up there wasn’t any one thing I definitively wanted to be. I liked the idea of being an air hostess but it was fleeting at best. But Zoe, Zoe knew what her dream was: To play at the Whisky. It’s one heck of a dream mind, but I enjoyed Zoe’s journey. I equally enjoyed meeting her band-mates. We travelled back in time to see what they were like in ’87 when The Flip-Flops were all the rage and we learn why they broke up and it did make me sad that so long passed between all the girls meeting up again. Lo was the only one Zoe really kept in touch with, being her next-door-neighbour and best friend and all that. Ginger became a socialite in the intervening years, living in a mansion worthy of Brad Pitt and having everything a socialite should need and Melinda had moved to Montana and become very much ‘at one’ with nature and the way the Earth was. I found each of them to be so intriguing, I loved how Lo consistently quoted Latin phrases, how Melinda cared about the Earth and how Ginger was a bit dim. I also really liked Silas, Zoe’s ex/boyfriend, I thought he was incredibly sweet.

No doubt about it, I loved Thank You For Flying Air Zoe. It was such a breath of fresh air for me, to read a novel that didn’t see Zoe have any of the predictabilies that usually befall a Chick Lit character. I was rooting for Zoe and for all the girls the entire way, wanting their dreams to be realised. I thought the ending was something so totally special (seriously, it made me go all ‘Aww’). I can’t believe this is Erik’s debut novel, it was everything I wanted it to be and I enjoyed every page. I could easily see this being picked up by a major publisher – I’m sure lots of reviewers say that about self-published/indie authors but I truly believe that about this book. It’s incredibly well-written (my internal editor picked up no spelling mistakes or mis-spelled celebrity names, nothing of the sort). I’d hugely recommend the novel, it’s well worth flying air Zoe, because she has such a stunning story to tell, one I immensely enjoyed. I can’t wait for Erik’s second novel (I sincerely hope there’s a second novel) and I wouldn’t mind catching up with Zoe and the gang again. I can totally see them trying to conquer Glastonbury or somewhere similar…
Profile Image for Meredith Schorr.
Author 12 books479 followers
February 28, 2012
Zoe Tisdale is on a plane that appears to be making a crash landing and when her life flashes before her eyes, she doesn't see much. At 41 years old, she hoped she'd have accomplished more than *almost* hitting the big time with her high school girl band the Flip-Flops in 1987 before going through the motions of a career in organic butter sales. Zoe decides there is still time to make her musical dreams come true, specifically performing at the hip Hollywood night club, the Whisky-A-Go-Go, where she first saw the Go-Gos play live over two decades ago. Her mission is to persuade the other members of her band to help her, even if it means driving across the country and sleeping in a tree to track down one such member.

Thank You for Flying Air Zoe is a laugh-out-loud funny story of friendship with a little romance thrown in for good measure and I loved it. What I loved the most, quite honestly, is the portrayal of 41 year old Zoe and her friends. I am only a little younger than Zoe and this book better represents some of my friends and I than any other book I have read to date. I read a few of the other reviews that said the behavior of Zoe and her friends defied their more mature age. I'm guessing these reviews were written by much younger "girls" who think 40 is old or that one automatically loses her youthful spirit after 35. (I was there once.) It doesn't happen that way. Anyway, it was beyond refreshing to read a book about women around my age that does not revolve around trying to have children, going through a divorce or some other "age appropriate" milestone and instead portrays them as fun, quirky, attractive, intelligent (with the exception of Ginger...) women who still have plenty of time to make their dreams come true.

Special kudos to the male author for creating such relatable female characters.
Profile Image for Sara Strand.
1,143 reviews33 followers
July 20, 2012
I have to say, there is much more that I love than a woman having a mid life crisis because it hits close to home. Any woman who tells you that she has not hit a low point in her life while crying on the floor of a Target bathroom because the plastic stick you just peed on says you're pregnant and your almost two year old daughter is screaming because of the automatic flushing toilets are spraying her, is quite frankly- a liar. Every woman has a moment like this and it may not be that dramatic and it might not be used as a "crazy customer story" at a Target training to which you'll have confirmed to you when you meet a mom at a toddler class who laughs about it as you cringe.
But let's talk about Zoe.
I loved her. I loved her in every way you could love a fictional character that could very well have been you if you started selling butter. She's your 20something friend who isn't married, doesn't have kids, doesn't have a real purpose in life and is basically treading water while everyone else is moving up in the world. She's the perfect example of how one life choice can send you in a tailspin for the rest of your life because you don't quite know how to most past it.
The book starts off with a near death experience of an almost plane crash. And I have to be honest, I laughed. I kept laughing through the first chapter because it was funny. There is nothing funny about a plane crash where everyone dies but it is funny to see people around you freak the hell out and then it turns out OK. Right? That's funny, right? Well, I think it is. Mostly because I'm that girl laughing during difficult and stressful situations. You don't want me to help you put your oxygen mask on, I won't be of any help.
The other part I loved about this book is how true to life it actually is. If there was ever a person who would have one bad thing after another happen, it would be Zoe. And me. (See? We're like the same person.) And I admittedly said, "AMEN" when I came a line in the book I reserve for the lowest moments of my life,
"Sometimes when you think you've finally reached the very depths of hell, you discover that hell actually has a basement."
Right??? My closest friends have heard me say this for years every time a crisis hits me at the worst possible time because honestly, it's just the way life goes for me. And as it goes for Zoe. If Zoe were a real person I would have tried to learn to play an instrument to help her fulfill her dream of playing at the Whisky A Go-Go club in California. I've always been a big believer in going out and trying something new and exciting in your life and marking off the goals on your bucket list. What's life if you aren't going to actively pursue and do the things you most want to in the world? What's the point of having goals and dreams if you never try to go after them? Even if you fail, at least you can say you put forth the effort and maybe it wasn't meant to be. And in like Zoe's case, maybe it isn't so much the fact that she plays there, but more importantly, picking up the friends that were left behind as she moved forward in life.
So. In all? LOVED THE BOOK. I can't tell you how much I think you need to go out and read this book. This is the book that I will be buying friends for Christmas or for friends who are on baby daddy #6 and maybe need some guidance and condoms. It's a fast read, it's entertaining and you'll get sucked in. And secretly wish you had been in an all girl band in the 80s.
Profile Image for Nicolle.
104 reviews1 follower
August 2, 2011
This book is FAB!

A contemporary novel about the lively and witty Zoe, who is a captivating character with real thoughts, flaws and traits which made me laugh out loud more than a few times whilst reading (resulting in glares from TV watching people in the room).
From the off Erik Atwell had me going through the (slightly melodramatic) motions of Zoe's near-death experience. Zoe's nonchalant air when tripping up a thief had me cracking up, and from then on I knew two things:
1. This was going to be a fun read.
2. Zoe is a lunatic.
Both of which were confirmed numerous times throughout the read. A combination of lovable (slightly mad) characters, a superb rock chick band, and male attention makes this a highly recommended summer read.
Much gratitude to the author Erik Atwell for hosting this book and Goodreads First Reads, as it is unlikely I would have come across this book without this.

Profile Image for Lyn.
6 reviews
July 14, 2011
This book is one of the best I have read in a long time. I definitely enjoy my light summer reads but sometimes wish they offered a little bit more than fluff. This book delivers. It is the type of book that makes you want to grab a highlighter and highlight away. I definitely earmarked more than a few pages to go back and read the many insightful gems about love, life and the pursuit of rockstardom. It is very funny, full of awesome 80s nostalgia (which you will appreciate even if you aren't old enough to remember the era) and most definitely relatable to anyone who has had dreams of achieving greatness at something that they truly love. Whether you've already achieved those dreams or haven't quite yet... the characters in this book are sure to be ones that will stick with you!
Profile Image for Paige.
231 reviews
May 7, 2012
Nice light read for in between book club books. I could totally identify with the age and 80s memories of Zoe, but don't like to think of myself as "middle aged" :)
Profile Image for Dianne.
159 reviews
February 21, 2017
Lovely

Sweetly entertaining story. Just what you need when you want some light reading. I'll be looking for more from this author.
Profile Image for Kathleen.
1,392 reviews35 followers
February 19, 2012
If you had a near death experience and saw your life flash before your eyes, and you realize that all you have been doing with your life is just going through the motions, would you want to change it? What if during your reassessment of your life choices, you decide that you want to recapture your eternal youth, is it possible or would that just be wishful thinking? These are the questions that forty-one year old butter saleswoman Zoe Tisdale contemplated after a near death experience on a plane fight home from her vacation in Cabo San Lucas.

The near death experience during the plane flight gave Zoe plenty of time to contemplate her life and the choices she has made over the years. To her dismay, she realizes that she has wasted so many good years on a "same-old, same-old" kind of life that lacked meaning and excitement. What she realizes during her contemplation is that she wants to recapture her eternal youth of her teenage years, when she belonged to an all-girl garage band, The Flip-Flops, with her 3 best buddies, Lauren, Ginger and Melinda. So when the organic butter company that she works for is sold and she is demoted, she decides to resign from the company and go after her dream of reuniting the band and play the famous Hollywood venue, Whisky A Go-Go. There is just one problem, Lauren and Ginger are sisters who haven't spoken / gotten along with each other in years, and Melinda is a crazy tree-hugging environmentalist who is currently staging a protest and living in a tree. These little speed bumps aren't going to slow Zoe's mission down, she's bound and determined to have "Operation Flip-Flop" succeed, so come along for the ride on Zoe's journey, where the hostess will gladly say Thank You For Flying Air Zoe!

Thank You For Flying Air Zoe is a humorous fast-paced story that will keep you in stitches. The storyline was intriguing, I was curious to see how a male author would create a story utilizing the first person narration of a woman, and I was pleasantly surprised with how well the author understands a woman's perspective.The characters were so much fun to get to know, these zany but lovable ladies kept me laughing as I read about their crazy antics. I couldn't help but shake my head and think that they were all just a tad bit looney tunes. As a girl whose teenage years were from the late 70's to mid 80s, I absolutely loved how the author utilized that musical decade, and found myself taking a stroll down memory lane and yearning to hear some of the Go-Gos and Bangles tunes ... geez I had the songs "Walk Like An Egyptian" and "Manic Monday" playing over and over in my mind ... thanks Eric ... geez ... *rolls eyes.* I couldn't help but roll my eyes at Zoe's very apparent mid-life crisis and wishful thinking of recapturing her eternal youth, but then I thought about it and realized that doesn't everyone at sometime in their life contemplate their own life and take a stroll memory lane too? The only difference is that unlike Zoe, the ability to recapture your eternal youth just isn't a reality, just wishful thinking for most people. In any case, I found myself cheering Zoe on as she went on her journey of rediscovering herself, and it gave me food for thought about contemplating my own life choices that I have made in my 40-something life!

I would recommend Thank You For Flying Air Zoe, it is a fun and light-hearted story that will make you laugh and smile while encouraging you to take a stroll down your own memory lane as you reminisce about your life.

Disclaimer: At the request of the author, publicist, publisher and Chick Lit Plus, a Kindle edition of the book was sent, at no cost to me, for my honest review and participation in the virtual book tour event.

Virtual Book Tour Event: On Sunday, February 19, 2012, in association with Chick Lit Plus, Erik Atwell participated in a virtual book tour event with an Author Guest Post on Jersey Girl Book Reviews.

Profile Image for AWBookGirl.
199 reviews13 followers
February 19, 2012
I decided to take a different approach to reviewing this one. I’m going to give you a list of the reasons I liked the book. As a bonus, Erik graciously answered a few questions I sent to him, and I’m giving you the details on those as well, tomorrow.

What I loved about Thank You For Flying Air Zoe

1) Our heroine, Zoe, is not an almost-thirty-something-looking-for-the-love-of-her-life, as so many chick lit heroines are. Not that there’s anything wrong with that type of heroine. But once you’re no longer almost thirty, or if you’ve found Mr. Right, then you look for something else in a heroine, and Zoe delivers. She’s looking at her life and saying, “Really? Is this all there is?” And I know many, many people who have asked that question.

2) The book references some great 80′s music. When I was very young, the Go-Go’s were my first favorite band, and the first GIRL BAND I was aware of and loved. It’s fun to have that bit of nostalgia. In fact, for days after reading the book, the Go-Go’s were in near constant rotation on my iPod.

3) Air Zoe also references U2, in a good way. And I love U2, so I was thrilled to see the reference. But I don’t want to say anything else about their appearance in the story, because I don’t want to be at all spoiler-y.

4) I laughed out loud while I was reading the book. On an airplane. More than once. People looked at me funny. I like to laugh, and this is the first book in a long time that made me laugh out loud. It’s a credit to Erik Atwell hitting perfectly on a woman’s sense of humor and quirkiness.

5) The friendship between Zoe and her friends feels authentic. Anyone who has created her tribe of friends, the people who know the good and bad about you and still hang out with you anyway, will appreciate the zaniness of the friendship.

6) Erik Atwell is extremely approachable. We traded a few emails as I was reading the book, and having an opportunity to interact with an author makes me feel a deeper connection to the books.

7) The book made me hopeful. Zoe takes a chance on her dreams. She quits her job and leaps without a long term net. That’s a really scary thing to do. As I was reading, I found myself dreaming a little bit about what it would be like to have the courage to follow all my own dreams, to tell the practical side of myself to just shut the hell up for once, and DREAM BIG.
Profile Image for Carrie Ardoin.
558 reviews31 followers
July 21, 2012
Zoe Tisdale is on her way home from one of her many business trips, when the plane starts to have problems. As Zoe sees her life flash before her eyes, she realizes that the most important--actually, the only--time of her life worth recalling were her high school years, when she and her three best friends formed the 80's girl band, The Flip Flops. When Zoe touches down safely, she makes up her mind to get the Flip Flops reunited--which will be easier said than done since they are all 40-somethings now.

As Zoe tells the girls about her plan to get them playing again, she meets with resistance from every single one. But she is determined to fulfill her lifelong dream of having The Flip Flops play L.A.'s famous Whisky A Go Go club...no matter what she has to do to make it happen.

This was such a fun summer read! I'm quite a bit younger than the gals in the book but I could still appreciate the 80's nostalgia--I am a huge Go-Go's fan thanks to my mom.

I loved all four of the girls. Our narrator, Zoe, is stuck in a rut in her life, job, and relationship. A near death experience brings this fact to the forefront, but she knew it before the plane almost crashed. It also took something like that to happen for her to appreciate the GOOD things she had. Her best friend Lauren is loyal and smart, and is the perfect mature counterpart to Zoe's sometimes immature tendencies. Ginger is just a hilarious, hot mess. But underneath, she truly is a good person and wants people to like her. Melinda rounds out the group by giving them the mellow vibe that is sometimes just what they need when the girls get all wound up.

Some parts of this book were really laugh out loud funny. Pretty much every time Ginger opened her mouth, she said something (unintentionally) funny. Zoe is impulsive and her decisions don't always turn out the way she expects. Humor ties all four of the girls together in a lifelong friendship.

I have to say I didn't really agree with a couple of the decisions Zoe made, but I suppose in a mid-life crisis, making totally uncharacteristic moves is what one is supposed to do. But, everything comes together fabulously in the end.

I hope I am as totally awesome as the Flip-Flops when I reach their age, and I hope they keep on rocking.
Profile Image for Samantha March.
1,102 reviews285 followers
February 10, 2012
I got real excited when Erik Atwell approached me about doing a blog tour for his chick lit novel Thank You For Flying Air Zoe. A male writing chick lit? I had given this a shot before with Robert Rave and his novel Waxed and had a blast with it. So I was excited to give this book a try. Apart from completely befriending new-Dad Erik, I had such a fun time with his book! The story begins with Zoe Tisdale about dying in a plane crash. That might be a bit dramatic, but it scared the crap out of Zoe, who begins to think about her life choices. Once in an all-girl garage band with aspirations of becoming a rock star, Zoe, now in her forties, is selling butter. Yes, her life did not pan out the way she expected. After her near plane-crash, she decides she is going to chase her dreams again. She wants to reunite the band, The Flip-Flops. This proves to be a challenge, as two members of the band aren’t speaking to each other (and are sisters) and the third is the over-the-top environmentalist that lives in a tree. But Zoe refuses to give up hope when it comes gaining her youth back. So buckle up, and get ready to fly Air Zoe!

I tried to make my synopsis as fun as Erik’s writing, but I don’t think it worked. Seriously, he just has a way with words that will keep you laughing as you read this story. Zoe was such a fun main character, someone who is so confused at how her high hopes of winning a Grammy turned into her selling butter. The supporting cast is a whole other story, and I loved all the ladies and their stories. I think Ginger was my favorite, just an off-the-wall high society wife and mother whose every scene had me snorting with giggles. If you are a fan of eighties music, you want to read this book. Or if you just appreciate a fun, light-hearted book that will make you smile, check out Thank You For Flying Air Zoe.
Profile Image for Nancy.
1,102 reviews416 followers
July 2, 2012

The adjectives to describe this book is fun and unpredictable. The premise sounds cheesy. Get the old band back together. The story skates around cheesy but never quite dips in the toe. It is just one of the funnest reads I've read in a long, long time.

The best part about the book is character development through the story. Each member stays true to her character, making only minor adjustments as the circumstances change. Lo is Zoe's best friend and in the same kind of slump as Zoe, watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and going nowhere. Or so Zoe thinks. In truth, Lo has more going on yet she continues to be a faithful friend. Her estranged sister, Ginger, the sex appeal bassist of the band, married money and lives a charmed life and, at first blush, appears to be as shallow as ever. She still is but adds depth to the story. And then there's Mel, the tree hugger living in Montana, saving the world, one organism at a time. And, oh! How she provided nurturing, Zen humor as she talked and said nothing and waxed philosophical about the meaning of symbolism in the patterns of a rare flower. I made that last part up, but you get the gist.

The predictable story would be too easy. The scenic route would still be predictable. The additions of some fun back story, a bassist named Cleo, men of all ages and sizes, and a particularly tall tree with a platform 100 feet up, make the story hilarious and the perfect book to break up the monotony of serious subject matter (which this has very little). Perfect for the girl that just wants to have fun. Especially if she is over 40.
Profile Image for Marilyn.
19 reviews9 followers
August 8, 2011
If I could, I would give this book a 10 star rating! Never have I laughed so much and smiled through a whole book. Mr. Atwell has a real winner with Thank You For Flying Air Zoe! He takes us on a voyage of what I call the second coming of age. His use of malapropisms is wonderful (I am a big fan of Mrs. Malaprop!)as is his ability of making the reader become one with his main character, Zoe. Mr. Atwell has also incorporated many quotables, such as his line on page 11, "Sometimes life is most visible when its end is in sight." How true.

In Thank You For Flying Air Zoe we meet a woman who is not satisfied with her life and wants to do something about it. The catch is, in order to fulfill her dream, she needs her three best high school friends to want the same dream. Can she pull this off? We are taken on quite a ride to find out the answer to this and to some of life's on-going questions.

This is a book that I did not want to finish. It's a feel good book and there aren't many good books in that genre. This one is good. I have been raving to all my friends and family about it. My husband said to me the other night, "You are really enjoying that book aren't you!?!" I said, "Yes!" He's not used to hearing me laugh like I did through Thank You For Flying Air Zoe. This is the first book that I have said I'm going to re-read it, and really mean it. I'm going to suggest it to my online bookclub for our September read, just so I can read it again!

I was lucky enough to win this book on Goodreads.com. I'm so glad I did because I so enjoyed this book!
Profile Image for Kaitlin.
109 reviews8 followers
October 11, 2011
Check out more reviews at Books to the Sky.

(I received this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review.)

I loved this book from the beginning. Zoe's character is very likable in a very quirky way.

I initially was a little hesitant because I've never read a book written by a man in a woman's perspective, but I really liked the synopsis. So I decided to give it a shot and I'm really glad it did. Reading this book at a young age is probably a good thing, it reminds you to live your life to the fullest. Try to fulfill any dreams you may have, regardless of how silly they may be.

There are so many good bands referenced in this book, I found myself listening to all of them on Pandora while I was working. Joan Jett, The Go-Go's, The Bangles. I urge you to listen to them now!

Air Zoe actually made me laugh out loud a few times, I'm sure my husband thought I was crazy. Zoe is a bit crazy. Lauren is a bad ass guitar chick. Ginger is a bit spacey. And Melinda is a hippie pothead. Every single character was developed perfectly. Both of them; meaning their character present day and the one from 1987.

The one thing I didn't like was how run on some of the paragraphs were. About midway through I would lose my concentration. But that's the only negative comment I have regarding Air Zoe. So read it and love it!
Profile Image for Books to the Sky.
108 reviews21 followers
October 11, 2011
Check out more reviews at Books to the Sky.

(We received this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review.)

Profile Image for Tia Bach.
Author 65 books131 followers
July 17, 2012
What a fun book! It felt like a night out with friends, bonding over stories from our youth and figuring out where we are headed.

Zoe is questioning where the time has gone and what’s she’s done with it. Suddenly, thanks to a near plane crash, she’s unsure about pretty much everything. Thinking back to happier times, she becomes fixated on reliving her youth and bringing back together her friends to resurrect their high school band.

The problem is everyone has gone in different directions. Zoe is determined. Through some zany fun and witty dialogue, the ladies finally come together for one last hurrah. Along the way, Zoe's confidence grows and she realizes some wonderful things were right under her nose all along (including a great guy, Silas).

I laughed out loud several times, and truly came to enjoy Zoe interacting with her friends. I am turning 40 in a few weeks. I get it. It all goes by so quickly. But what makes it better are the people who have our back. Bonus: If you are a child of the 80s, as I am, you will love the pop culture and fashion references.

Pick up a copy and take a humorous ride with a zany group of characters. You might just discover some new things about yourself.

Note: I receiveced a complimentary copy for review purposes. A positive review was not guaranteed or requested; the opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Loren.
89 reviews1 follower
July 16, 2012
What a fun read! I just love when you can connect with a character and Zoe is definitely someone I connected with right away! Zoe is faced with a situation that causes her to really reflect on her life. You know the saying, "IF you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been." How many people say they want to change, but sadly, they never do? Well, Zoe wasn't happy with where she was, and so she did something about it!

Zoe has some great BFF's. Back in the day, they were all in a band together. Zoe really hopes to reunite the band and play @ the Whisky. It would be, a lifelong dream fulfilled, if they did it. Going back in time and learning more about these girls, and their band was so much fun and certainly brought about some of my own memories.

It was such a treat to be able to read and review this book! I was so inspired and enjoyed every page! This is Erik Atwell's debut novel! WOW- What a great way to kick off your career as an author!! Hands down, Heart of a Bookworm rates this a 5 ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥'s

Thank you SO MUCH TLC Booktours for allowing me this complimentary book in exchange for my honest review! I will be recommending this one to EVERYONE!!
Profile Image for Jenny.
66 reviews2 followers
August 10, 2011
The story starts off with a middle aged woman named Zoe. She is on a plane on her way back from vacation. When she arrives at the airport she sees Silas. Silas is Zoe's boyfriend, they met when she was drunk. Anyway Zoe is having a midlife crisis, after a near death experience,( her plane ride back from vacation almost crashed) she begins to wonder what she could have done with her life.Zoe and three other friends back in highschool were in a band called the flip flops, hence the cover of the book. They didn't last long but that was the highlight of Zoe's life. They've always wanted to play at the Whiskey. Their first gig was at their senior prom. Unfortunately they didn't last too long and before you know it they are in their 30's-40's with families and other problems.
Zoe wants to desperately get the band back together but it will take some convincing. Go on an amazing journey with Zoe and find out if the band will get together or not.

Even though I am still pretty young, I recommend this book to anyone who has ever wanted to reach for the stars.

* this review will also be going on Goodreads.
* I got this book as a arc from a giveaway on Library things.
Profile Image for Heather M.
147 reviews10 followers
July 5, 2012
**My FULL REVIEW here**

How would you feel if you thought that you would die in a plane crash TODAY? Do you feel like you've lived your life to the fullest, that your family knows you love them, that you've done everything you've wanted to do, that you've been everywhere you wanted to go? This is the dilemma that Zoe is facing after surviving a near-plane crash. Wanting to give her childhood band a second chance at stardom, Zoe is determined to get "The Flip Flops" back together. Only problem.....not all of the other members are in very different places in life, and a couple aren't on the friendliest of terms with each other.

Overall, a really feel-good, easy read! Very much a "girl power" book with a bunch of 80s references thrown in, which some of you may enjoy (personally, I DID like a bunch of 80s music, but the fashion....no thanks. Please stay in the 80s)! Perfect for summer reading. Perfect to make you realize that life is short and you shouldn't put off doing things that you think you'll get to "some day", because "some day" may never come.
Profile Image for Andrea Guy.
1,463 reviews60 followers
July 13, 2012
It is impossible to resist the lure of the red flip flops on the cover of Thank You For Flying Air Zoe! Grab this book and head to the beach, because this is the perfect summer afternoon beach read. If you don't have a beach handy, an armchair will do...or better still a lawn chair and some iced tea.

Erik Atwell's writing style reminded me a little bit of Nick Hornby. I don't know if that was because of the band Zoe was in...or just the whole vibe of the novel. It was very Hornby! Music, a little humor and a quick read. Truly a perfect combination.

There's a lot of turbulence in this book! Literally! It was fun to read about Zoe realizing her dream and taking her high school band mates along for the ride.

This is a novel of friendship, of growing, but mostly of remembering that life is meant to be lived.

If you are a child of the 80s or a fan of Hornby's writing style, you want to pick up this book. Actually I can't think of a reason not to pick up this book, it is just awesome. Oh and the music you should play while reading? Anything by The Go Gos!

* This is quite possibly one of the best books I've read this year!
Profile Image for Agi.
1,531 reviews85 followers
January 28, 2013
It is a book that I wanted to read for a very, very long time, having been very fascinated by the title and then, later on, by the very good reviews. And finally got it in my greedy hands.
And I must say, I was not dissapointed. It is different to the typical chick lit that I am usually reading, but nevertheless it has its bits of girls power, love, romance and some other cray ideas.
Actually, this book took me on an adventure. I never knew where it is going to go, what is going to happen and what I can expect. I haven't read such unpredictable - in some aspects - book for a long, long time now and it was a really nice change. The only thing that disturbed me is that it is a book, and I am blonde, and I need everything to be explain clear and nice, and if there is a break in time than I need to know it, it's okay to write "two months later" or "seven years later" or something like this, and here I sometimes got the feeling that I am lost and I missed some pages.
But nevertheless, this book is actually about following your dreams, and it shows how to follows them in a very funny, sometimes irrational and crazy way. And I really liked it:)
Profile Image for Lori Micho.
190 reviews7 followers
July 6, 2013
After a near death experience and suffering from a mid-crisis, 41 year old Zoe sets out to achieve her childhood dream of her high school band playing at the Whiskey A Go Go. This book was not intended to be serious, but rather a nice light, humorous read, yet it just didn't do it for me.
I get that Zoe is having a mid life crisis, but she acts more like a 21 year old than a 41 year old throughout the book. She dumps her boyfriend Silas early on in the book essentially claiming he's boring, only to fall madly back in love with him 100 pages later. The band's getting back together was all too neat and tidy. And the oh so happy ending... ughh, just "gag me with a spoon". Being only a couple years older than Zoe's character... I did enjoy the 80's references. :)
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Catrina .
39 reviews2 followers
March 6, 2012
I received this book in a Good Reads giveaway and will forever be thankful for being chosen. I truly am a winner. I love to read but life got in the way and I haven't read in quite awhile. Thankfully this was the book I chose to pick up after my long hiatus. Once started I couldn't put it down, I read it in one night. I had to see where Zoe's dream was going to take her and her friends. This book was beyond beautifully written. I laughed, cried and wished I was Zoe. This book definitely made me think about my dreams and what was my Whisky. Read it you wont ever regret it. I will be reading it again, ALOT.
Profile Image for June Kramin.
Author 25 books53 followers
September 7, 2011
You ever start reading a book & right out of the gate you're grinning? Well, that's what happened here.

Zoe Tisdale is forty and has, what I'll call, a minor mid-life crisis. After what she considers a near-death experience, she takes stock in her life and decides she wants to "reclaim her youth" and go after a dream she had back in high school with her three closest friends.

Zoe's character was perfection. From quitting her job on the spot to her week long drunken stuper, you are cheering for her every step of the way. I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud.

I can only say Erik did an amazing job as writing this from a 1st person POV. I highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews).
428 reviews12 followers
August 23, 2011
I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it.

I really enjoyed this. It was a sort of coming of age story although the main protagonist was in her forties. It's about a woman's idea to reform her childhood school band and play at the famous Whisky a Go Go. I could very easily see this as a chick flick with someone like Gwyneth Paltrow in the lead. The lead character Zoe was great, she was just a little bit flaky but never gave up on her dream. All caused by a near death experience on an aeroplane.

I urge people to give this a go, it had some truly funny moments.
Profile Image for Lisa.
3 reviews1 follower
July 11, 2011
If you haven't picked up a book for your summer vacation yet, order this one now! It will make you laugh; it will make you smile, and it will remind you both to treasure your dreams and to go after them--no matter how distant some of those dusty old dreams may have become. This is fun-lit at its best. It is both well-written and humorous--all while subtly urging a reexamination of long-forgotten dreams and their meanings.
Profile Image for Dawnie.
242 reviews5 followers
November 29, 2011
I think this was more along a 3.75 stars....it was a very entertaining story about a woman who is basically going through a mid-life crisis as she is wanting to get her band back together. Good, cute message. The characters were very funny, even if sometimes I felt like I was wanting a little more from them. Zoe is a nut case....that's always something I admire in a person. Without crazy, where is the spice of life?

Profile Image for Joy.
117 reviews5 followers
August 30, 2013
There was a lot that I really liked about this book. It had a fun feel and a happy ending...both are things I like in my fiction. However, it was a little long and some might find the protagonist a little self centered or annoying at times. But we all have our moments so I was able to move past it for the most part. Anyway, it was a clean fun read about trying to relive the glory days of youth for better or for worse. ;)
Profile Image for Lori.
419 reviews5 followers
December 31, 2011
This is a great book. It's an easy read, and lots of fun especially if you like to read about the 1980s scene. It's also interesting if you like to read about Los Angeles because there are so many references. The characters are well-defined. Overall, a highly enjoyable read.
5 reviews
November 18, 2011
Received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. Couldn't really get into it at first but found it to be good, light hearted read during my recent stay in hospital. An easy read with an amusing storyline.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 41 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.