Start by marking “Security, Territory, Population: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1977-1978” as Want to Read:
Security, Territory, Population: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1977-1978

Security, Territory, Population: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1977-1978 (Cours au Collège de France/Lectures at the Collège de France #6)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  657 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Marking a major development in Foucault's thinking, this book derives from the lecture course which he gave at the Collège de France between January and April, 1978. Taking as his starting point the notion of 'bio-power', introduced both in his 1976 course Society Must be Defended and in the first volume of his History of Sexuality, Foucault sets out to study the foundatio ...more
Published 2007 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Security, Territory, Population, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Security, Territory, Population

Kelly
Like I wasn't going to give this five stars. I don't want to go to academic and French hell. ... Let us all pause to contemplate that horror for a moment.

No but seriously this was really great. Like, way greater than I had expected given my limited experience of Foucault, which had been limited to discursive analysis that was driving me up a wall. But I totally see why people love him now.
Alex Mchugh
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent lectures that have changed my recent perspective on many things. The kind of ideas that stick in your mind long after reading. Will probably be re-reading fairly soon, I'm almost sure I missed something good the first time around.
Dan
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
An excellent exploration of the various ways rulers and others have attempted to govern populations and/or territories. The tragedy of the book is that modern Leftist intellectuals have used it like Machiavelli's "The Prince," treating it as a handbook of ways they can both challenge legitimate authority and maximize their own power over people and resources.
Ryan Ananat
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts slow but picks up by the end. Looking forward to the sequel.
R.
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The rise of the state. That's a bad thing.
Kyriakos Michail
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Somewhat hard to follow but it gives the very first notions of governmentality and what it means based on a historical analysis of Europe.
Troy
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing lecture. I recently read another collection of Foucault's lectures and it was amazing. This book contains the next series of lectures from the ones I read.

What I personally want is a negative political theory. I want a politics that is based on preventing power from congealing, and a politics that breaks up power after it congeals.

And these Foucault lectures come close to that. This book is largely asks:

How did the State come about?

How did the world that we live in come into bei
Will
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe philosophy can still play a role on the side of counter-power, on condition that, in facing power, this role no longer consists in laying down the law of philosophy, on condition that philosophy stops thinking of itself as prophecy, pedagogy, or legislation, and that it gives itself the task of analyzing, elucidating, making visible, and thereby intensifying the struggles that take place around power, the strategies of adversaries within relations of power, the tactics employed, and the so
Bernard
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Almost finished with this book by Foucault. Masterful understanding and explanation of history . Simply put, his work will changes one's entire view and conceptual understanding of how we got to where we are now in the world.
Yang
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent lectures that help us understand how Foucault sees the intimate relation between the problem of power and the problem of ethics. Here we also observe his excellent analyses of a historical genealogy of the problem of power. How do we think of a "state"? Typically a Foucauldian analysis of concrete institutions is not to look at one institution internally (as might be done by E. Goffman), but to try to situate this institution in a greater realm of power; so that we may even further obs ...more
David McGrogan
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All of these collections of Foucault's lectures are indispensable but for me this is the best and most significant of them all - and a great introduction to the man and his work.

The first and most important thing to say is that while these are dense, and also transcripts of spoken lectures, they are extremely readable: Foucault is always lucid (far more than his subsequent interpreters have been) but the transcribed lecture format is very effective for communication of difficult ideas.

The secon
Andrew
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These lectures are VERY interesting. Some of the writing here ends up in later works, such as History of Sexuality. These texts further develop ideas of raison d'état, population, and politics that F had been working on for some years.

Foucault finds the route of modern governmentality in the pastoral. He juxtaposes Greece and Church early on to show how the exceptionality of this idea of governance. This is problematic, as are most of the assertions he makes related to the "pastoral." In the end
Jaycob Izso
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is likely most celebrated as Foucault's first concrete lecture on "governmentality" (or at least his first rigorous treatment of the term). This and the follow lecture on Biopolitics are really two complementary parts to the same question. Like the rest of the lecture series this book is incredibly engaging and richly complex. The commentary on the developments of the city and its connection to the pastorate are fascinating. A reader would also be remiss to skim over his thoughts on counter ...more
Alex Lewis
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is another very good book from the philosopher Michel Foucault, who in this lecture series basically establishes a genealogy for the modern state, looking at security, territory, and population in particular. As always, Foucault is very detailed in his examinations. If you get through these intense examinations, Foucault is excellent in wrapping everything together and opening your eyes in the last quarter of the lectures. See this book as an introduction of sorts to Foucault's next lecture ...more
Ξιτσυκα
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, politics
Very profound analysis indeed, but I have some doubts about Foucault's standard of selecting examples. It would be much more compelling if he can raise many examples and focus on a handful of them, instead of just focusing on, well, only one.
Also, I waited for Foucault's analysis on the 8th chapter of The Republic throughout the whole book, but it never came. :(
Detailed review: https://xitsuka.wordpress.com/2015/07...
Rich Hancuff
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Foucault starts with a relatively simple example of grain supply and then goes into what seems entirely unrelated investigations of sovereign power, the art of government, raison d'Etat, and the concept of police (not as in the cops but as in the idea of ordering and managing), before winding it back around to show how that specific problem at the beginning both illustrates and engenders the developments he outlines in these lectures.
Rocha
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sociologia
Em sua guinada sobre a biopolítica Foucault encara a formação do estado moderno, razão de estado e o surgimento da governamentalidade e as forma de gestão das populações. O primeiro terço sobre o processo de transição de uma lógica disciplinar para a da segurança e gestão de risco é especialmente afiada. O restante do livro é bom, mas bem rocambolesco.
Jill
Feb 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Ok, I admit it, I only skimmed the first 75 pages. Probabaly not the best book with which to introduce myself to Foucault. And this is definitely not my subject. Eeek! I think I might try something else by him, though. The man obviously had a great brain.
Priya
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Foucault fans (and aren't there many?)
This is readable, accessible and, surprising considering the subj. matter, amusing at times. Foucault does a great job of explaining what he thinks about security, how the state organises itself and, especially, his view of power as relational and network-oriented.
Heather Marie
My review of most of Foucault's work: just get to the point already.
Naomi
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one in a series of Foucault's published lectures. I'm working my way through a number of them and they are pretty fantastic...
Brian
Mar 22, 2009 marked it as to-read
I have not had much luck trying to slog through Foucault in the past, but I think I may need to give this one a try.
Tristan Laing
Compelling account of the history of the notions of freedom and governance which we take for granted today.
Suneet  G
Dec 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
foucault is a force to reckon with
Jacob Israel Chilton
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
can't wait to get back to it.
goddess
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics
I just have a hard time getting into Foucault.
Jessica Zu
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Biopolitics on the control of population enabled by sciences, Foucault's main contribution! well, one of his many insights.
Geoff Pettys
Probably the best in the series that I've read
Lane
The introduction is great...
Alex Kudera
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
accessible Foucault that relates to European history, political philosophy, and how we arrived at the "state" were in. . . good stuff.
Goodreads Librari...: I can't see the cover of this book 3 140 Aug 01, 2016 07:15PM
  • Nomadology: The War Machine
  • The Open: Man and Animal
  • Dissensus: On Politics and Aesthetics
  • Speed and Politics (Semiotext(e) / Foreign Agents)
  • Rogues: Two Essays on Reason
  • Reason and Revolution: Hegel and the Rise of Social Theory
  • Political Theology: Four Chapters on the Concept of Sovereignty
  • Critique of Everyday Life, Vol. 3: From Modernity to Modernism (Towards a Metaphilosophy of Daily Life)
  • A User's Guide to Capitalism and Schizophrenia: Deviations from Deleuze and Guattari
  • Chaosophy: Texts and Interviews 1972–1977
Michel Foucault was a French philosopher, social theorist and historian of ideas. He held a chair at the Collège de France with the title "History of Systems of Thought," and lectured at the University at Buffalo and the University of California, Berkeley.

Foucault is best known for his critical studies of social institutions, most notably psychiatry, medicine, the human sciences and the prison sys
More about Michel Foucault...

Cours au Collège de France/Lectures at the Collège de France (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lectures on the Will to Know: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1970-1971, & Oedipal Knowledge
  • The Punitive Society: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1972-1973
  • Psychiatric Power: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1973-1974
  • Abnormal: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1974-1975
  • Society Must Be Defended: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1975-1976
  • The Birth of Biopolitics: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1978-1979
  • On the Government of the Living: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1979-1980
  • Subjectivité et vérité. Cours au Collège de France, 1980-1981
  • The Hermeneutics of the Subject: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1981-82
  • The Government of Self and Others: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1982–1983