Start by marking “The Villa of Death: A Mystery Featuring Daphne du Maurier” as Want to Read:
The Villa of Death: A Mystery Featuring Daphne du Maurier

The Villa of Death: A Mystery Featuring Daphne du Maurier (Daphne du Maurier Mystery #3)

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Young Daphne du Maurier must defend a friend who has been accused of murder in the next installment in the beguiling mystery series that readers of Rebecca will love.

It's the summer of 1927 and aspiring novelist Daphne du Maurier is headed to Cornwall for the wedding of her dear friend Ellen Hamilton to American millionaire Teddy Grimshaw. Having met during the chaos o
Published December 6th 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Villa of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Villa of Death

Susan Johnson
I don't know who invented the idea of authors being sleuths but I don't think it's not a great one. This book features Daphne DuMaurier, an author I admire, involved in solving the murder of her friend's husband on their wedding day. Apparently there were a lot of suspects including the groom's estranged family from America and business associates. Then Daphne's friend, Ellen, is hounded by people trying to do her harm.

The only remotely interesting thing about this book is that the events are
Esme
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed with this book. I love Daphne Du Murier novels. But this book read more like a Victoria holt novel. Yes there was a mystery, but it just didn't have the dark brooding vibe of an actual Daphne Du Murier story, which is what I was really hoping for.
Kerry Brainard
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you loved reading Rebecca you will love this book too.

Reading these three books by J. Challis was like reading Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel. Loved the references to the characters and settings of these great works of literature by Daphe du Maurer.
Read and you be transported back in time.
Susan
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“Last night I dreamt I went to Thornleigh again.” Thornleigh? Villa of Death by Joanna Challis is the third in a series featuring Daphne du Maurier, amateur sleuth and budding author who spends so much time in her own head working through the permutations of her most famous novel that deadly dealings serve only as way stations on her road to another adjective.

It is the summer of 1927, and Daphne is headed to Thornleigh for the wedding of a friend. The friend’s husband is poisoned after the cerem
Rachel
I greatly enjoyed reading this historic mystery. Not knowing a great deal about Daphne du Maurier's real life, I needed to use reference material to know where the author was drawing from truth or creating a fictional world. I felt the setting and the dialogue was authentic to du Maurier's life and the time period.

Daphne while a headstrong herione, she was also a jumpy one. She always seemed to want to rely on Major Browning, and she definitely jumped to MANY conclusions. As a storytelling devic
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joanna Challis has done it again! She's written a wonderful mystery using the life of Daphne du Maurier, the famed author of Rebecca. I love reading this series because of the time period that the story is set in. In The Villa of Death, Daphne visits her long-time friend and pen-pal Ellen. Ellen is finally getting married to Teddy Grimshaw, an American millionaire; Ellen and Teddy had met and fallen in love during the war but were separated for quite some time. Ellen had a daughter by Teddy name ...more
Michelle
I had really enjoyed the first two in this series, but I'm very disappointed in this one. This Daphne is a ditz, with no original thoughts or ideas, subject to the whims of her hormones when it comes to the Major. Who is no prime catch himself, what with the "you just don't understand how difficult it is to be me, I'm so important and full of secrets I can't/won't tell you, so now I'll just be frustrated and angry with you about it instead" and the emotional manipulation that had Daphne feeling ...more
Piepie
It had been a very long time (years!) since I'd read the previous two books in this trilogy, and I felt like I had missed some part of the story-- the beginning was a bit disjointed. I soon found my groove, and the book picked up speed. Not stellar, but not boring. The murderers were a surprise, and I felt like there was a nice ending (a nice conclusion?) to this series. Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca is one of my very favorite books, and it was nice to see Daphne experience events and have thought ...more
Gina
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
Good period mystery set in the early 1930s. England is still recovering from the consequences of WWI. The budding author Daphne du Maurier has been invited to attend her friend's wedding in Cornwall. It is set in an historic old home that she sees as a perfect setting for one of her story ideas. Unfortunately, the groom is found dead of what looks to be a heart attack right after the ceremony. Daphne begins to suspect the groom was murdered. He was an American millionaire with plenty of enemies, ...more
Duckpondwithoutducks
Writing fictional mysteries featuring real-life female authors as the sleuths seems to be a thing recently. I have read mysteries with Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott, and Josephine Tey as the detectives. Now, in this book, Daphne DuMaurier is the one who solves the mystery! I liked the events in the book that gave the fictional Daphne ideas for the real-life books Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel. But, the book was just okay. The on-again-off-again relationship between her and Major Browning was a l ...more
Lisasimon
Dec 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a potentially good idea handled terribly. Both the writing and the plot are to blame. A character in the same sentence dresses not only elegantly but with refinement (yes, someone might be only one but not really in a single sentence or in a novel. Especially not in this novel where characters have no complexity). This is one more reason that I love the library as I didn't have to buy the book and didn't have to force myself to finish this book because I had paid for it.
Bhavana A
This book is about, Daphne du Maurier, attending the wedding for one of her best friends Ellen. Although a terribly unfortunate event took place after the wedding. The groom, Teddy was found murdered, and Ellen was accused of the crime. This story revolves around Daphne and Major Browning finding out who really murdered Teddy. Overall, I recommend this story to people who enjoy reading mystery and suspenseful stories. I heavily enjoyed reading this book.
Alison
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one of the three in this series by Challis the best. I've really enjoyed Daphne as a main character, and as much as I'm a sucker for British mysteries, I think I'm an even bigger sucker for the "romance on the side". :)
Patricia
Mystery ok. Writing smooth. Daphne's juvenile love for mjr browning - ANNOYING!
Jenn
fabulous book starring Daphne du Maurier (author of Rebecca), written in the style of du Maurier.. loved this one
Nancy
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really want to like this series but a lot of distracting typographical errors and a mystery that was only a mystery to the main character left a less than stellar impression.
Erin
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this series...
Silverblue
I like this book, it's witty and the story has a nice pace and flows well.
Susanne E
Mar 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really poorly written - this book would have benefited from an editor who didn't let Ms Challis use the same ungrammatical sentence structures over and over again.
Christina
A silly little read.
Julie Haydu
If this wasn't a mystery I wouldn't have even finished it. And even when I found out "whodunnit" I really didn't care! Generic.
Elizabeth
Dec 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poor fictionalized Daphne du Maurier, trapped in this book.
Elena
May 10, 2016
Liller
Jun 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Face in the Mirror (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #11.5)
  • Tug of War (Joe Sandilands, #6)
  • Slated for Death (Penny Brannigan Mystery, #6)
  • A Fete Worse Than Death (Jack Haldean Murder Mystery #1)
  • Berried to the Hilt (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #4)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery #1)
  • Corridors of the Night (William Monk, #21)
  • The Missing Italian Girl  (Bernard Martin, #3)
  • Widow's Tears (China Bayles, #21)
  • Murder in Murray Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #16)
  • Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)
  • Death on Beacon Hill (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #3)
Joanna Challis, a lover of old houses, wild English gardens, and dusty bookstores, lives and writes in Australia, but her heart resides on the cliffs of Cornwall. She is the author of the Daphne du Maurier Mysteries.
More about Joanna Challis...

Daphne du Maurier Mystery (3 books)
  • Murder on the Cliffs: A Daphne du Maurier Mystery (Daphne du Maurier Mysteries, #1)
  • Peril at Somner House