Start by marking “Stairs of Sand” as Want to Read:
Stairs of Sand

Stairs of Sand

Suzann (Zoozle)Zimmerman and her mother might as well be from different planets, for they have no emotional connection. A close look at dysfunctional families and Borderline Personality Disorder, "Stairs of Sand," is a funny, fast-paced, realistic portrait of a perfectionist mother and a free-spirited daughter.

"Stairs of Sand" opens with Zoozle reaching the lowest ebb of h
Published July 10th 2011 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Stairs of Sand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stairs of Sand

Maplesyrup
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Even though I only raised sons, I understand the pain between Jolene and her daughter, Suzann. I thought about how much it would hurt her mother to have Suzann a) change her name to Zoozle and b) throw her whole life and career away on drugs. I hate drug use and drug sales and everything about drugs. But the book made me think about the secrets this family kept from one another.

There were some weird chapters that went back and forth between voices without being renumbered,once or twice in big,
Melodie
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Stairs of Sand is the story of Suzann and Jolene,and the complexities of the mother/daughter relationship.The book grabbed me right off with Suzann's desperate jump off a ferry.As she struggles to find her footing after years of drug addiction,there is the push me pull you of her relationship wit her mother, Jolene.
Jolene,comes with her own set of challenges.A perfectionist high school English teacher with a borderline personality,she is frustrated and exasperated that Suzann cannot get it tog
Evangeline Han
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought that the story was a little unfair to Jolene. Yes, she isn't the perfect mother (perfect mothers don't exist anyway), but this doesn't give Zoozle the right to constantly think bad about her. I found myself being constantly annoyed and turned-off at Zoozle's behavior. She definitely wasn't a character I liked. Phillip is my favorite character. His patience and understanding made him very likeable. It was a pity he isn't a very major character.

Since this book doesn't have plenty of acti
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This book is about a mother and daughters relationship. Zoozles mother doesn't understand what she is going through, and she doesn't want to take the time to find out. At the same time, zoozle doesn't understand where her mother is coming from. Its going to take a family loss to bring it all together. This story is full of family secrets, and family turmoil.

I thought this was a great story! I read it all in one sitting. It was nice seeing the outcome in the end after everything that the Zimmerma
Angela Metzger
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read the first page of this when it came in and Im hooked all other books have been put on the back burner. I really am enjoying this book so far.

I finished the book last night, sad that it over..What a good story for a book 2

I did really love this book, the ending was a bit hurried but what a good read. This book has a lot of sad parts but ends with a wonderful happy ending. A story about change and personal growth. what a wonderful read.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First R
Val Wilkerson
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Mother/Daughter relationship story, every other chapter is written by
the mother. Interesting read, makes you realize how many problems could
be taken care of if people talked to each other more, and if people
listened to what was being said. The mom is a perfectionist, the daughter more of a free spirit, they dread seeing each other as it always results in a conflict, throw in some uncles and a fabulous grandfather into the family picture and its a great story.
Tfalcone
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Mother daughter conflict over drug addiction.
Richard Quis
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Granfors does it again. The author who introduced us to "mama's rules of surfing," "today's as important as forever," now chronicles a dive to freedom you will never forget. Mother and daughter slug it out while trying to overcome the rages and impulsiveness of Borderline Personality Disorder. It reminds me of the movie Into Temptation when the penitent in the confessional befuddles the priest by asking "Father, can you forgive a sin I haven't committed yet. I wish to commit suicide on my ne ...more
Addison Gast
Jan Marquart
Jillian
Jeannette
Aug 01, 2011
Eileen Granfors lived in Los Angeles, California, and has now retired with husband Patrick to the Missouri Ozarks. A former army brat who was born in New Orleans and lived in Germany, she and her family settled in Imperial Beach, California, where her mother’s love of body surfing turned her into an avid surfer girl.

Eileen is a proud UCLA alumna. After a full career of teaching high school, Eilee
“Lately, I don't talk much except to Mel. I make an exception because he has a dog.” 2 likes
“I love that sassy name! Zoozle!” 0 likes