Start by marking “Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)” as Want to Read:
Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)

Coup d'Etat

(Dewey Andreas #2)

Wanting only a peaceful, obscure life, Dewey Andreas has gone to rural Australia, far from turbulent forces that he once fought against. But powerful men, seeking revenge, have been scouring the earth looking for Dewey. And now, they've finally found him - forcing Dewey to abandon his home and to fight for his life against a very well armed, well trained group of assassins ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Coup d'Etat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coup d'Etat

Sean Peters
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Following in the footsteps of giants like Tom Clancy and Vince Flynn, Ben Coes burst onto the publishing scene in 2010 with “Power Down,” which Flynn described as “One of the must-read thrillers of the year.” Coes and his brilliant book “Power Down” hero, Dewey Andreas, are back in fine form in Coes’ latest thriller, “Coup d’Etat.”

When a fragile peace breaks down between Pakistan and India, the United States is forced to intervene. When a rapidly escalating war threatens to engulf the entire reg
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, thriller
Look, I'm saying up front That I'm rating this book on enjoyability, readability and just good story telling. I know that there are some points where you have to have beefed up your "suspension of disbelief muscles. Dewey (our hero) is in the mold of the traditional hero. The "gun fighter", the "demigod" (Hercules etc.), the superhero. He's the hero who shows up or gets dragged into a situation and then triumphs over impossible odds.

So, I'd say don't "fret it" just enjoy.

Here Dewy has moved on f
A.a.m
Oct 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Quick rant. Horrible. Absolutely horrible.
What irritated me first of all, was that that the author apparently thinks all Pakistanis have Persian names. I have never heard 70% of the names he uses for Pakistanis in this book.
As the book progressed, the flaws became glaring. The author's incomplete understanding of the relationship between the Pakistani military and political setup became more and more evident. Why China would intervene in the war militarily was not thrashed out well. It was NEFA
Soman Pochhali
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I generally don't review books, maybe because I don't feel like passing a judgement on a book/author but I will review this one because of the sheer number of inaccuracies involved, in fact this is the first book I am reviewing on Goodreads. Here's something about me, I have taken special interest in military and strategic sciences, global affairs, foreign policies etc. and have done a lot of study and research in this field. I have always liked plots involving hypothetical war scenarios between ...more
Ethan
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a pretty entertaining 1980's B-movie of a book. I say 1980's because that's the era of entertainment when one handsome, super muscular American special forces Superman could go into a hostile country, kill people wholesale, call in air support to blow up the bad guys, save the world from nuclear war and then go home with the gorgeous, yet single, high-ranking government lady (spoiler!). The bad guys are jihadists. The good guys are good because they are emotionless special forces guys wh ...more
Brent
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Ben Coes!

Coup D'Etat begins roughly a year after the end of the events chronicled in Power Down. Former Delta Force solider Dewey Andreas again serves as the protagonist, and readers will find themselves cheering him on as events rapidly unfold around him while India and Pakistan are teetering on the edge of nuclear war.

Coes has a real gift for descriptive writing, painting vivid pictures of the scenes his characters encounter without crossing the line and allowing his desc
Barry
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was enormously disappointing. I really enjoyed Coes' first book and this one was pretty highly rated in Goodreads.

I will be brief,as it deserves no more:
- good premise
- Dewey Andreas is a solid super agent main character
- positively ridiculous National Security Advisor, more like a love sick teenager
- weak plot in that it was so impossible, it makes Alice in Wonderful seem realistic
- most of the other characters were plausible

You may be asking yourself why I gave it two stars. The pre
L.A. Starks
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a superb thriller, written with a deft hand, an excellent understanding of global geopolitics, and crackling action. If you only read one thriller in the next year, it should be Coup D'Etat. I look forward to reading Coes' third book.
David Dalton
My 2nd Dewey Andreas book within the past four months. I am getting hooked on this character. Lots of action. Political intrigue as well. Special ops, CIA, terrorists, and the all too real scenario of nuclear war and how easily things could escalate out of control. I have already checked and my digital library has the next book in this series: The Last Refuge (in fact they have all 8 titles so far).
Michael
"Coup D'Etat" is a thriller that is so realistic that it could have been taken from a futuristic newspaper reporting on a doomsday scenario.

Omar El-Khayali, a radical cleric, has been elected president of Pakistan benefiting from millions of dollars from militant Aswan Fortuna. Fortuna hopes that with his puppet in Pakistan and with the philosophy of the president of Iran, the countries would work together against Israel, the U.S. and India.

Dewey Andreas is in Australia, wanting a normal life af
Larry
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know which I enjoyed more - Ben Coes’ intricate plot or his hero, Dewey Andreas!

If you ever wondered how a nuclear war would start, this provides the answer…SCARY! It’s not too hard to image radical Islam exacerbating a dispute between Pakistan and India. Image further the impact on China and the US.

Dewey Andreas is phenomenal. Delta trained and, more important, a patriot. A Medal of Honor recipient who again answers his country’s call – and likely a suicide mission.

I also found it inte
Suby
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The author explores the implications of another war between India and Pakistan and how it will alter the geo-political scenario in the Indian sub continent.
I must say the assessment brings out the very much real possibility of China chipping in to fish in troubled waters and the US having to intervene as a result.
Pakistan in the hands of Jihadists could always be dangerous and make the area unstable. The author manages to analyze exhaustively the essential realities through this book.
Highly re
Imran
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Extremely poor research. I wonder where he came up with names for the Indian and Pakistani characters. No truck driver in India earns $100 a day!! And no bowling alley and pool hall are not found in mining villages in India.

That said, it's a good thriller, I enjoyed the story and characters. I think I might have enjoyed it more had I not been from India and had I not kept going "what?" everytime there was a new Indian name mentioned.

So again, good read, seriously bad research.
Mike French
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dewey Anndreas makes Mitch Rapp and Jack Reacher look like girlie-boys! If you are looking for non-stop action,this book is for you!
Jacqui
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller-mystery
I wasn't sure being speechwriter for George H.W. Bush qualified Ben Coes to be a thriller author, but Vince Flynn's recommendation--that Coup D'etat (St. Martin's Press 2011) is "one of the must-read thrillers of the year"--encouraged me to try this political insider-turned-writer. I'm glad I did.

The story starts in Australia on what some call a ranch, but they call a 'station'. Coes' description of the setting told me a lot about his writing skills: "The terrain was empty and lifeless for as fa
Matt
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Another sensational political thriller. Coes has outdone himself in his second book, which, literally, picks up where the first left off. Coes continues to paint excellent images of the characters, a complex set of story lines, and interweaves them all together to make another action-packed book. Each sentence appears to push the story forward and each chapter progresses the larger story together. There is little time and space for waste and Coes knows that all too well. With numerous plots runn ...more
Naveen Verma
Apr 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me be blunt and say this book piece of garbage and shouldn't be read. I don't understand why this book is highly rated here. Let me tell you why this book isn't worth reading.
The sheer amount of lack of research baffles me. Looks like the author didn't bother to do any kind of research and just wrote whatever he can imagine. India and America are not allies, Russia is. India doesn't have presidential form of government. And what the fuck is with selection of names? Bolin? Seriously? How delu
Kathryn Burkett
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fast moving, exciting second novel by this author. Ripped from today's headlines, this story is timely and accurate. The good guys are really good and the bad guys are awful. The bravery that is depicted in this novel inspires us to remember the service members who are protecting us every day. The tribute to the Israeli Special Forces is a credit to the author who understands the critical need for mutual assistance.
Cathy
Jun 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not recommended. At least half again too long. Too much detail on guns, ammo, vehicles, etc. If I was reading this book, I could have skimmed, but I was listening to the audio version and was not happy.
Tim
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The ending could have been better as Dewey did not get to fulfill a promise. 8 of 10 stars
John Carpenter
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Once the action started, I couldn’t put it down.
Deyth Banger
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fast_read, fast_view
Nothing more than a story which you gonna get little curious and then the writer loses you behind the lines.

Rolando Barrientos
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding story, love the plots and the suspense. Can't get enough of this series
Mike Worley
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, good fun reading.
Pat Murphy
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It is action and intrigue type of fiction. The political imaginings are terrifying. Dewey Andreas is the protagonist who you Coe fans probably already know. He is unstoppable of course. The last 150 pages were the kind you just couldn't stop reading. The action is top notch and the difference between the good guys and the bad guys is as clear as a bell which I like. I have a hard time with dramas that have an evil character you somehow end up rooting for after you see him en ...more
Tracy Poff
Pakistan has elected a new leader: a radical cleric named Omar El-Khayab, who is determined to spread Islam throughout the world by any means necessary--including violent jihad. A series of relatively minor events cause tension between India and Pakistan to escalate, until Pakistan drops a nuclear bomb on an Indian city. Now, America must find a way to resolve this conflict before it becomes a full-scale nuclear war between the India and Pakistan, which would doubtless draw their allies, America ...more
Christina
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I won this free ARC off Goodreads First Reads. Though I had not heard of author Ben Coes, I entered to win this Goodreads First Reads contest after being drawn to Coup D’Etat by it’s awesome cover. This is one book that is okay to judge by it’s cover, it is THAT good! I am so glad that I won, thanks Goodreads!

Even though it is the second book in the Dewey Andreas series there is no confusion by jumping right in and reading Coup D’Etat first. Having said that though, you will hunger for more and
ElaineY
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; DECEMBER 31, 2015
Narrator: David de Vries

Another slow start, in fact slower for longer than the first book but once it passed the halfway mark, it was incredible. It left me holding my breath at the last 25% plus a sleepless night. I was so wound up when I finished the audio at 5.30am that I had to listen to a Tom Clancy to help me sleep.

The first half was just 3 stars worth and I should give the book an overall rating of 4 stars but I loved the last leg so much, especially
Richard
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Garden Hoses Have Nozzles! Guns do not! Guns have muzzles. This author appears not to know the difference. Written by Ben Coes, and published by St. Martin’s Press in 2011. this story is about a nuclear war between India and Pakistan that is started when a radical blind Muslim clergyman arrives from exile in Paris to become the new President of Pakistan. Kinda like when Ayatollah Khomeini returned to Iran from exile in Paris to lead Iran into a radical Islamic theocracy back in 1979. Too bad ...more
Malia
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
After getting hooked on the Alex Berenson, 'John Wells' series, but finishing all the available books, this one caught my eye as I was prowling through Barnes& Noble.
The story centers around Dewey Andreas and ex-Delta, who is drawn back into a pressing conflict between Pakistan and India. He is sent in to execute a coup d'etat. Dewey is no John Wells, he is not as thoughtful or multi-faceted. He is a full-on soldier, body and mind. I am as far removed from being like Dewey or, for that matt

• All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • Full Black (Scot Harvath #11)
  • The Secret Soldier  (John Wells, #5)
  • Target America (Sniper Elite, #2)
  • Ballistic (Gray Man, #3)
  • Black Site (Delta Force, #1)
  • Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)
  • Act of Terror (Jericho Quinn, #2)
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
  • The Assassin (Ryan Kealey, #2)
Ben Coes is the NYT bestselling author of international espionage thrillers featuring Dewey Andreas.

Join Ben on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bencoes

Or visit his website: www.bencoes.com

Dewey Andreas (9 books)
  • Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1)
  • The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
  • Independence Day (Dewey Andreas, #5)
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
  • Trap the Devil (Dewey Andreas, #7)
  • Shooting Gallery (Dewey Andreas, #8.5)
  • Bloody Sunday (Dewey Andreas, #8)
“If you think you have nothing, then you do, and that’s when you’re defeated.” 0 likes
“chanteuse” 0 likes