Start by marking “This is How I Speak: The Diary of a Young Woman” as Want to Read:
This is How I Speak: The Diary of a Young Woman

This is How I Speak: The Diary of a Young Woman

This Is How I Speak, a memoir in diary form, is an intimate portrait of a young woman's first year in graduate school as a student of dance and creative writing at the University of Washington during the late 1980s. The book explores a number of themes, including complex relationships, ambition, fear, sexual assault and forgiveness.
Published June 28th 2002 by Impassio Press (first published June 2002)

To ask other readers questions about This is How I Speak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This is How I Speak

Kj
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, on-writing
This was an interesting and sometimes frustrating book to read. I found it on a $2 table and the fact that it is a 'local' read, and by an MFA student, and journal form all piqued my interest.
Rhonda Rae Baker
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This journal interested me because I used to dance and understand the psychological aspects that challenge dancers and what can alter their self image. Also, that she is a writer attending an MFA program in Washington. A narrative of her first year with such emotional integrity that the story touched me deeply.

I'm surprised and yet very pleased that this method of publication really worked for Sandi. She opened herself up and peeled back the layers in such a way that I became involved in her sto
Jill Johnson
Jun 13, 2007
Mary Lyon
Mar 21, 2017
Sandi Sonnenfeld
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: sandi-s-shelf, own
Feb 17, 2016
Devin
is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2018
Sandi Sonnenfeld is a fiction writer and essayist. Her memoir, This Is How I Speak (2002: Impassio Press), which recounts how her views about what it means to be a woman in contemporary America changed after suffering a dangerous sexual assault, was a Booksense 76 finalist. With the memoir’s publication, she was named a 2002 Celebration Author by the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association, whic ...more