Start by marking “Sun Horse, Moon Horse” as Want to Read:
Sun Horse, Moon Horse

Sun Horse, Moon Horse

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  180 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Sun Horse, Moon Horse is the story of Lubrin Dhu, third son of the Chieftain of the Iceni - the Early Iron Age horse people, who live by their skill in breeding and driving their great horse herds on the high chalk downs.

As a child, Lubrin sees the patterns of a private magic in his mind's eye - in the vision of a galloping white mare leading her herd over the crest of a h
Published (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Sun Horse, Moon Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun Horse, Moon Horse

Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: war, travelers, geology, celts
When a story is set on the back doorstep of where you live, you read it. An origin story pertaining to the imagining and crafting of Uffington's White Horse, Lubrin Dhu, a black-haired, black-sheep of his family is called to its making. His eye for looking at the world in a way which is foreign to those he meets means that, for the first part of his life, he is separate.
Yet the tribe who live atop the hill are storytellers and horse traders. They understand, at least, that Lubrin's blood is tou
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it

How much of himself must an artist put into his work, to validate it and give it his blessing, a life of its own? Warrior-youth Lubrien Dhu is the third son of the Chieftain in prehistoric Britain. Dark of skin and features in this nordic-looking clan, he feels stirrings in his mind to represent the natural world around him in two-dimensional form, but few admire dainty fingers or artistic insight in the Bronze Age.

We watch the dark one grow to young manhood, wh
Hazel West
A beautifully heart-wrenching story, as only Rosemary Sutcliff can write them. It's one of those books that is very hard to put into words, because it almost feels like if you do, you'll lose something in your heart about the story. In any case, I was easily able to sympathize with Lubrin, and how no one saw the world as he did--I know how he felt almost too well. There was just something so painfully beautiful about that and his story, that, while it was definitely sad, it was also something mu ...more
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I first read this story when I was in primary school and I remember it leaving a big impression on me then. It still does. Sutcliffe is so good at making characters that are tragic but also proud. You really feel that it is a true story from a long time ago.
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Rosemary Sutcliff presents a creation myth for the White Horse of Uffington, which was carved into the hillside chalk during the late Bronze or early Iron Age. Sutcliff's real gift is her ability to distill people belonging to remote and alien cultures down to their essential humanness, making them -- their lives, their emotions, and their dreams -- as accessible as those of any contemporary person. Like Shakespeare, Sutcliff also has the ability to lay bare someone's entire character with a sin ...more
This is, I think, one of Sutcliff's lesser-known books, but, if I think about it objectively, I would say that it is also among her best. In this rather short story, she offers a possible background to the making of the White Horse of Uffington. The book is typical Sutcliff, dark and harsh at times, with a few glimmers of hope here and there. It's filled with the theme of sacrifice - the idea of the sacrifice a ruler has to make for his people, that is present in one form or another in most of S ...more
Lesley Arrowsmith
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had mis-remembered this book. I knew I'd read it, and I knew I had thought it was good - but I had forgotten the inevitability of the ending. I started re-reading it, thinking there were bits of Warrior Scarlet there in the friendship between Lubrin and Dara - and about halfway through it grabbed around my heart and never let go, and I cried at the ending, which was exactly the right ending.
It's also good, in a time where films seem to show that violence is the only answer, and heroes have to
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books from my early teenage years - I read this book about 4 times between the ages of 13-14. When I was 21 I visited Uffington for the first time to see the white horse; it was as breathtaking and magical as the book portrays it to be.

The themes of this book are so relevant to any era; self sacrifice, the triumph of art and creativity over evil, community strength in times of trial, leadership and destiny, duty to others and finally, because the white horse lasted thousands
This is one of Rosemary Sutcliff's shortest books, and I found it one of the author's most touching. However, there are definitely readers who will scoff at it. It is a very simple story of a young Iceni who loves making beautiful things. In this case he paints something which has survived for centuries. Of course, nobody actually knows who the artist really is, but Ms. Sutcliff gives us a wonderful picture of what the person may have been like.

I hope you, too, will enjoy it for what it is.
I don't really remember this but it looks like it must have been pretty cool. as I enter books I read when I was seven or eight I can see topics I remained interested in - australia, chalk horses, native americans, etc. I may not remember them consciously but I think they were probably quite formative.
Abigail Hartman
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This bittersweet novel was the first of Sutcliff's that I read and really appreciated, so it holds a special place in my heart. It is incredibly sad, as most of her books are, but spectacularly written all the same.
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook-arrived
Too much suffering without enough contrast. I can't get into such a downer, as much as Rosemary obviously could. Some interesting stuff about being an artist. But the whole book is a bit Rosemary-by-numbers.

I loved the opening, describing their home and fortress, the dun.
Jul 04, 2007 marked it as to-read
Rosemary Sutcliff wrote The Mark of the Horse Lord, and while I am ever searching for an old copy to own, I found another novel of hers at the Central Library Book Cellar for fifty cents. I am super excited.
Probably a fine introduction for kids (not too young, though), but not for me.
Esther Filbrun
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a good book. It gave a good glimpse into the lives of people at that time period. I didn't appreciate some of the things that happened, but on the whole it's a pretty good book.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Excellent historical novel about the people who created that giant horse drawn on a hillside in England.
Jan 12, 2015
Kate Hammond
Jun 18, 2016
Jan 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Empty Kingdom (The Lion Hunters, #5)
  • Victorian Workhouse: The Diary of Edith Lorrimer, England, 1871
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • No Way Back
  • Girl in a Cage (Stuart Quartet, #2)
  • Crusade
  • Transported: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Australia, 1790
  • Leyla: The Black Tulip (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Dværgen fra Normandiet (Dværgen fra Normandiet #1)
  • The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • The Ramsay Scallop
  • Pagan in Exile (Pagan Chronicles, #2)
  • Roman Invasion: A British Boy, AD 84
  • A Mirror for Witches
  • Lady Jane Grey
  • The Chalice of Immortality (Magickeepers #3)
  • The Wool-Pack
Rosemary Sutcliff was a British novelist, best known as a writer of highly acclaimed historical fiction. Although primarily a children's author, the quality and depth of her writing also appeals to adults, she herself once commenting that she wrote "for children of all ages from nine to ninety."

Born in West Clandon, Surrey, Sutcliff spent her early youth in Malta and other naval bases where her fa
More about Rosemary Sutcliff...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fire from Heaven (Alexander the Great, #1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99