Start by marking “Bloodwood (Chronicles of Max Mayhem, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodwood (Chronicles of Max Mayhem, #1)

Bloodwood

(Chronicles of Max Mayhem #1)

When skateboarding, fifteen-year-old Max Mayhem learns that his neighbor, Peter, is a vampire whose girlfriend has gone missing, Max’s dreams for a normal life are turned upside down. Before he knows it, he and his best friend, Lydia, are sucked into a daring hunt for Peter’s missing girlfriend—a hunt that leads them to a suspiciously empty town in northern Canada, where M ...more
Published June 24th 2011 by iUniverse.com

To ask other readers questions about Bloodwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodwood

karen
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it

this is one of those "crossover" books, which usually means that "growed-ups can like it, too!!" but in this case, i think it is a YA book that crosses both ways, and appeals to both a younger-than-YA and an older-than-YA audience.

because i am older. wayyy older. and i loved it. but at the same time, it is not too scary, too sophisticated, too saucy for a younger-than-teen crowd. but it's also not cutesy; it is just a good thriller blending humor and action in a very satisfying way.

yeah, it's
Jo
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Bloodwood" is irresistible. The characters are quirky and sympathetic, the story is imaginative and well-realized and the writing is fresh and evocative. This is a fully realized novel, not just a setting for vampires acting creepy. High school student Max is conflicted about his best friend, whom he wishes were his girlfriend. His kindly father refuses to speak of Max's mother, who died when he was only 2. Their extended family consists of curious -- and in some cases a little odd -- folk who ...more
Carrie (Badass, Alpha-male, Cowboy Connoisseur )
What can I say about Max Mayhem? I can say that I am looking forward to the next adventure. Max is a smart as a whip,good hearted,skateboard riding fifteen year old. When he and his friend Lydia along with their parents help a neighbor in need( a very pale neighbor)who is desperate to find his missing girlfriend, they find themselves on the scary end of the stick. Faced with twists and turns and a festival that turns out to be not so festive, they suddenly are fighting for their very lives. Bloo ...more
Kristin
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I thought this book was just ok. I didn't particularly care for it but it had enough going on that I was curious to see how it ended. I think the author was creative with an original story line but it didn't flow smoothly. There was a lot of going back and forth. Also, The way scenery was described in such detail in each chapter was a little annoying after awhile.

While most vampire stories may or may not be believable because obviously they do not exist, I thought it was quite cheesy during the
Cherie (Myst)
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Max Mayhem is a fifteen year old boy who just wants to be normal, ride his skateboard, and pretend to not be falling for the girl he's known all his life.

Unfortunately for Max, things in his life will never be normal. His Dad is a member of the Xenopus society, a society that researches all things paranormal and unusual.

In this adventure, Max's neighbour is turned into a vampire. The Xenopus society know of vampires but have never had dealings with them, so Max's father i
Esther
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: supernatural lovers
First of all I received this book from the Author John Rykken. I was so excited being this was my first book to win. As soon as I started Bloodwood I was immediately hooked. Since receiving it I have read it at least three more times and can't get enough. I am a huge fan of supernatural but lately more and more books coming out are not done let's say tastefully when it comes to the vampire craze going on. John Rykken accomplishes this and truly creates an amazing story line. I adore Max the main ...more
Hannah Marker
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I think John Rykken has got something here with his first Max Mayhem novel, and I am excitedly anticipating book 2. I found myself pulled into the story every time I sat down to read and ended up finishing the book in three sittings, had I the time I would have ended up reading it cover to cover in just one. I think Rykken did an excellent job making the book exciting without making it too much for a young adult book. As always I suggest parents read the books themselves before using my reviews ...more
Dominika
3.25
I liked the idea of this book, and I liked some moments a lot, but I couldn't stomach the irresponsible father, who takes his 15-year-old son on a trip to discover a vampire nest. Come on.
A quite uneven book, as I said - it had its good moments, but then there were some boring ones, too...
Vered
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Looking for normal in all the wrong places, fifteen-year-old Max Mayhem would much rather go skateboarding than hunt after things that go bump in the night. Unfortunately, his dad is a member of a society that researches the abnormal and paranormal. So when the vampire next door asks for help, Max and his dad set off to find the legendary vampire village of Bloodwood, a road trip that Max would rather avoid. But very quickly, the hunter becomes the hunted, and it’s up to Max to figure out how to ...more
Spencer Brokaw
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I recently received a copy of Bloodwod: The Chronicles of Max Mayhem from the author in exchange for a review, and my enjoyment. I began reading not knowing if I would like the book, because of the “vampire” scenario. I thought that vampire meant Twilight and romance, but the way this story is crafted is different. It had me hooked from the start.
Max is a normal skateboarding kid who’s next door neighbor happens to recently become a vampire. Max’s dad is the leader of a mysterious society who
Larry
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a First Reads award. When it came in the mail, my daughter, who is a Twilight fan having read all the books and viewed the first three movies, took it and said she was going to read it first. Her rating would be 4.5, if it was allowed. I asked what made her not give it 5 stars and she said it just wasn't a 5 to her. However, the Twilight books only rate at 4 stars with her. After I read the book, I will provide my review.

Having now read the book myself, i woul
Adele
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Adele by: John Rykken
Shelves: favorites
**This book was sent to me by the author.**
Wow when the author sent the book to me to read (Thanks John Rykken). I was a bit nervous to read it.

But when i started reading it, I just fell into the story and loved the characters.

It's all based around a Teenager named Max. His dad belongs to this secret society. but max doesn't really want anything to do with it.
Then he learns that his neighbor, Peter, is a vampire whose girlfriend has gone missing, Max's dreams
Belinda
I won this book by placing second in the 'Wizard Beginnings Writing Contest' in the Harry Potter group. All I got to say about this book is amazing. Once I started reading, I didn't want to put it down. I liked all the different aspects of the story from the Xenopus Society, to the vampires, to hunt the rabbit... I highly recommend reading this and look forward to reading more about Max Mayhem and Lydia.
Johnny Mendoza Gonzalez
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i love this book and cant wait till the next one to read it too
Kelli
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
I must be living under a rock - I know- because this is the first vampire book I've ever read. It was good. I liked the characters. The description of the scenes and settings were startlingly beautiful. The story itself was imaginitative and though I've never read a book with vampires in it before I'm going to step out onto the limb and say this one had a fresh perspective. I really enjoyed Max and the undercurrent between he and Lydia was gripping. It seems as if there is plenty more up ahead f ...more
Piper
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bloodwood drew me in from the start. The scenery’s so vivid you can touch it. I often forgot where I was and became immersed in the mysterious adventure.

Its cast of characters is relatable, quirky, and complex. No one, not even the vampires, are who they seem. The story’s fantastic with numerous twists and non-stop action through out. I’m deliberately holding back details. I wouldn’t want to spoil your fun.

I don’t know where Max Mayhem’s next adventure will lead him. But one thing’
Kat
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a entertaining, non-sparkly vampire book. It is different from the Twilight and other vampire books, in a good way. It had very detailed descriptions and could easily be made into a movie. I was surprised that the first vampire he met (no spoilers on who) didn't attack Max and his father. Max was a very likable character and acted like how a teenager would. I recommend this book to anybody who likes adventurous books.
Angela Stockton
I got about halfway through and then decided to set it aside. It was decent from what I read, but it just kind of got boring at the halfway mark. I wasn't very excited and it was hard to get through. I am sure teenagers would like it though.
Lulu
Nov 30, 2011 marked it as to-read
I won this book from the first reads giveaways and I am so excited to read it. Thanks.
redbees
A.
Thanks for the First Reads giveaway! Review will follow.
John Rykken
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
Sep 18, 2011
Amber Williams
Nov 03, 2013
John Rykken
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Uhh
Book reviews 2 9 Aug 08, 2011 02:14PM

• The Prodigal's Foole
  • 100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories
  • Transcendent: Tales of the Paranormal
  • Blood Bound (Imprinted Souls, #4)
  • Vision
  • The Demons Fib
  • Exiled (The Never Chronicles, #1)
  • The Eyes of the Desert Sand (Chrysalis Chronicles #1)
  • The Doomsday Machine: A Further Astonishing Adventure of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #3)
  • The Hanging Woods
  • Siren Song
  • Vaempires: Revolution (The Evolutionary War #1)
  • Between Worlds (Trix-ology #1)
  • Ordained (The Immortal Archives, #1)
  • Desires Unleashed (Knights of the Darkness Chronicles, #1)
  • Tiger Born
  • Vamplayers
  • Don't Call Me Angel
John Rykken lives in Portland, Oregon. Bloodwood is his first novel. He is currently publishing the sequel.