Start by marking “The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: Han Solo, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: Han Solo, #1)

The Paradise Snare

(Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy #1)

Here is the first book in the blockbuster trilogy that chronicles the never-before-told story of the young Han Solo. Set before the Star Wars movie adventures, these books chronicle the coming-of-age of the galaxy's most famous con man, smuggler, and thief.

The first book in this exciting Han Solo series begins with a recounting of Han's late teen years and shows us how he
Published June 28th 2011 by Spectra (first published May 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Paradise Snare, please sign up.
Nicholas 1. Not important to the story.
2. Not important to the story.
3. They do. A couple of times. …more
1. Not important to the story.
2. Not important to the story.
3. They do. A couple of times. (less)

Start your review of The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: Han Solo, #1)
Brad
Three stars is all I could muster, but I did have fun with this book. It was a great way to rest my brain after finishing Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward.

★★: This was the finest episode of Corellia 90210 EVER! I had no idea until rereading this that Young Han Solo was actually played (at least in the mind of A.C. Crispin) by a Young Luke Perry. Bad boy Han hanging out with the richies from Corellia (some family, and some family of the girl he loves), and he's so handsome and dashing and such a great
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
"From now on, it's just me. Han Solo."
Han Solo. Rogue. Scoundrel. Scruffy-lookin' nerf herder. He's the smuggler that charmed our hearts in A New Hope, who came back to rescue Luke, who butted heads with Princess Leia in The Empire Strikes Back, and lead a Rebel task force against an Imperial fortress in Return of the Jedi. But where did he come from?
Han Solo was a young boy, employed by Gariss Shrike to pitpocket, pilot swoop bikes in races, and con people out of money. Tired of that life, Han
Kelly
I remember being a really snobby dork about these books- I thought I was going to hate them 'cause they were all trying to weave into the movies rather than going off on their own story. But surprisingly, these were great! Han's motivations are explained for his first appearance in A New Hope, we get his tragic first love, and find out why he gets to wear the Corellian Bloodstripes! Super necessary information!
Ashley Bogner
Han Solo is my favorite Star Wars character. I love his witty comebacks and his fantastic character arc. And yet he's the character in the series we don't know anything about. His backstory never comes up, and I've always wanted to know more about him. How did he become friends with Chewbacca? How did he meet Lando? When did he become captain of the Millennium Falcon ? What's up with the "Kessel Run in twelve parsecs"? When I found out that there was a book series about Han Solo's backstory, ...more
Wayne
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Star Wars fiction is a guilty pleasure for me, so consider this a guilty five star! Aside from the original trilogy novelizations, I loved A Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and the old Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy. I recall reading the Thrawn Trilogy in the 1990's, which was what happened after Return of the Jedi, and being captured by what was then an unspoiled dream of what the franchise could become. Since then, I haven't read much at all in the genre, and like most of us, endured a less ...more
Jim C
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is part of the Legends expanded universe. It is the first book of a trilogy. It tells the story of Han Solo's early life and how he leaves his home world in search of his place in the galaxy.

This book was an enjoyable book. I think for the most part the author stayed true to form for Han's character and his development. I did wish that Han was a little more scoundrel than he was portrayed. In this book it felt like Han was a little too quick to do the right thing instead of looking out
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to know more about Han Solo. Wonder if we will see Bria again. The plot was very interesting. Hope Han does well at the Imperial Academy.

Can't wait to read the Hurt Gambit!!!! Also can't wait to read more Star Wars books!!!
Wolf (Alpha)
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
I loved this book. I love seeing Han as a teenager and seeing what he was up to. I like Muuurgh but Chewie is definitely better. I like that Han spent time with his foster mom and I hate that she had to die for his freedom. I loved the relationship between him and Bria and it sucks that they had to leave each other. I definitely love reading about Han’s story before the rebellion and before he met Luke and Leia. 5/5 stars.
Paul Darcy
by A. C. Crispin, published in 1997.

This is my first attempt at reading a Star Wars novel and, I’ll admit it, I read it because it features Han Solo. Now Han is probably the most endearing character to grace the Star Wars franchise (at least I think so) and hence I was compelled to give this novel - first of three actually - a go.

I’ll get the tedious writer’s annoyances out of the way first. Liberal use of the word “wryly” and “dryly” and other ly words kept kicking me out of the story and need
Mary JL
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any SF adventure fan; Star Wars fans in particularly
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
If you are a fan of the Star Wars books, particularly if you are a fan of Han Solo, this is the beginning of an enjoyable trilogy.

Covering the ten years before the original Star Wars movie began--Chapter IV-A New Hope--Han escapes from the only 'home' he has ever known--the illegal ship Trader's Luck.

His ultimate dream: to enter the Imperial Space Academy. So, to get piloting experience, he takes a job piloting for the planet Ylesia. He soon starts picking up pratical expereince.

But he also find
J.Aleksandr Wootton
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, best-of
I loved Star Wars as a kid. I'm pretty sure I read every Star Wars novel published prior to the release of The-Prequels-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named in 1999, and I still own a few of the best. I'm going to review the first book of each of 4 sets that I think are worth your time to read.

[In general, if you're wondering where to start with Star Wars novels, a good rule of thumb is that if it was originally published by Bantam Spectra, it's probably worth the risk. Once Del Rey re-acquired rights to t
Peter Hale
This book I read mainly was for the reason Solo was coming out later in the month so I had to fill up on Han's old myths and stories. Sadly, I didn't have any chance to read the rest of this series or The Adventures of Lando Calrissian and The Han Solo Adventures.

And I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

The book was very good because its plot was something new to SW: religious scammers. This idea was played with in the early nineties with the notorious The Crystal Star, but this took it to
Kami
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
- I LOVED this book! The characters and story are awesome! I wish I had read this ages ago.

- I really enjoyed reading about Han's younger years. I loved his relationship with Dewlanna, it explains why he has a soft spot for Wookies and can understand them.

- I liked Bria a lot. It was great to see her grow and become and important character.

- Muuurgh was awesome! His species makes an appearance in the comics, and I thought it was a new thing, but apparently not. I loved Muuurgh's loyalty, streng
Brittany
This was the very first Star Wars novel I ever read and it introduced me to a world into which I would dive wholeheartedly for the next several years. Han Solo would become my favorite character in the universe and I would dream of nothing else.

Looking back, I can't say exactly what struck my fantasy most about this book, but it was enough to send me searching desperately for the next in the series. Whatever it was, it captivated my attention so thoroughly that even now I can't help but read the
Ron
A necessary start to the life of Han Solo. Not great literature, but provides a foundational piece of SW universe history.
Cristian  Morales
I knew it was going to be a 5-star at the first wookie growl, but this was incredible!
D.J. Edwardson
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story centers around the origin story of one of the greatest characters of all time, Han Solo. And the author does a smashing job of translating him from the silver screen to the printed page. The dialogue, the lop-sided grin, the cocky inner thoughts, it's all here, just as it should be. And though the pace ebbs and flows a bit, overall this is an enjoyable, if fairly light read.

Though Han is the focus here, it's probably the inventive flourishes of the author that are the most memorable p
Matthew Harrand
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about Han Solo’s life when he was a young kid and continues on through his entire life. What i particularly liked about this book was Han Solo because i got to know more about Han then what we learn in the movies by learning about his childhood and life before the movies. Another thing I liked about this book was the street gang Han joined in the book because i would never picture a young kid joining a street gang and i liked how Han handled it. This book is for readers who like Sta ...more
Shawn Fairweather
I have to admit the first 75% of this book drew little to no interest from me. I admit that my Han Solo fandom is somewhat limited as I tend to identify and appreciate other characters from the saga more. The last quarter of the novel really picked up the pace for me and drew in my interest pretty easily. Be prepared this is definitely a set up piece for the rest of the trilogy, so I guess its a necessary evil, especially if you are a fan of Solo.
Jill Dater
This felt like a book written by someone who has watched the original movies a lot. Hans Solo’s dialogue depended too much on these corny catch phrases. Also the story felt sexist and dated. The action was one set of story and then another without much of a thread. Everything got resolved pretty easily.
Matthew Shileikis
I really enjoyed reading about the start of Han Solo before Disney decided it wasn't canon anymore. I wish it was still all relevant but oh well life goes on. If you want to read stories about Han Solo I say screw what is and isn't canon and give this one a shot because it is full of action and good old Solo charm. I picked this up after watching the Solo movie and decided I wanted to know more about his background and what made Han the way he is.
Angela
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
This is Han Solo, the early years. It looks at his childhood, teenage years and his first proper job.

I particularly liked the idea of him being brought up by a Wookie. I suspect that all this will have been rewritten by the new films. It is a fun read, and adds a lot to the understanding of the character. A good read.
Jon Jakob
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. I've never been a big fan of Han Solo but this book has really endeared me to him. It't unlike most Star Wars books in that it doesn't have anything to do with Sith or Jedi but instead the seething underbelly of the Star Wars universe. An underbelly not pleasent to live in but fun to experience throuh the eyes of the dashing Rouge Solo.
Anita Heveron
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never had more fun listening to an audio book! Cant wait to finish the trilogy
Jovan Stipic
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book itself is alright but Han just makes it 10x better
Jeremiah Murphy
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished the second one which made remember how much I liked the first one. This would have made a fun movie.
Renee
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spec-fic
The first third of Han Solo's origin story - somewhat sloggy in sections (the romance parts, which do matter so feel free to skim but don't skip!) - but overall revealing and fun.
s w
yes, I did see Solo: A Star Wars Movie and immediately wanted to read a better book.
Abby
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2018

I just love Star Wars 😭😭
Jaime K
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How does Han know Shyriiwook and other languages? How did he hone his flying skills? Why can he be so hard to those who care for him? And, most of all, what is his past like?

Crispin does a great job answering these questions. I've read this book (and the others in the series) multiple times. She stays true to his character while showing growth from adolescent immaturity to the man we were introduced to in ANH.

- Han leaves an abusive trader named Garris Shrike (who "saved" him when he was a toddl
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)
  • Ambush at Corellia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #1)
  • The Mandalorian Armor (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #1)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
  • Shadows of the Empire (Star Wars)
  • Rogue Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #1)
  • Han Solo's Revenge (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #2)
  • Tales of the Bounty Hunters (Star Wars)
  • Darksaber (Star Wars: The Callista Trilogy, #2)
  • Han Solo at Stars' End (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #1)
  • Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)
  • The New Rebellion (Star Wars)
  • Han Solo and the Lost Legacy (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #3)
  • Before the Storm (Star Wars : Black Fleet Crisis, #1)
  • Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
  • The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars)
  • The Krytos Trap (Star Wars: X-Wing, #3)
Ann Carol Crispin (1950-2013) was an American science fiction writer, the author of over twenty published novels. She wrote professionally since 1983. She wrote several Star Trek and Star Wars novels, and created her own original science fiction series called Starbridge.

Crispin also served as Eastern Regional Director, and then Vice President, of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy (4 books)
  • The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2)
  • Rebel Dawn (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #3)
  • The Han Solo Trilogy