Start by marking “Cursed” as Want to Read:
Cursed

Cursed

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  11,206 ratings  ·  1,325 reviews
Dying sucks
...and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand.

Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks
Published September 18th 2012 by Spencer Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about Cursed, please sign up.
Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,523 books — 15,733 voters
YA Novels of 2012
1,322 books — 10,700 voters

More lists with this book...

·  11,206 ratings  ·  1,325 reviews

Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 Cursed stars!

"You have a soul. You aren’t evil. There’s nothing you can say that will make me think that."

photo cursed.png

Jennifer Armentrout is one of my all time favorite authors. JLA doesn't write within the typical book formula and marches to the beat of her own drummer, which is refreshing in this day and age of publishing. Whether she is writing young adult, new adult, or thrillers, I have liked or loved everything she's ever written. Cursed is not exception, coming in at one of her most underr
Anne
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok. Not a bad book, but it feels like Armentrout planned on making this into a series, and then...didn't?
So, yeah. While the ending ends, it still feels like there are too many loose threads dangling for the book to be over-over. But...I mean, whatever.
That's fine, right?

Heh.
Anyway, the basic gist of the story is that Ember has this Poison Touch power. If someone even brushes up against her bare skin, they're screwed.

So how did this happen?
Well, her entire family was in a car accident, in whic
Kate Kaynak
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer's done it again! This is an amazing, riveting page-turner. And I'm lucky enough to be her editor, so I get to be one of the first to read her books!
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
That horribly corny ending did it in for me- there's just no way I can give this book more than two stars.

Jennifer gave me the feeling that she simply couldn't bother cooking up a more satisfying finish (because merlin knows she's definitely capable of it with all her wonders) and tying up loose ends, and that disappointed me so much to the extent that Hayden and Ember's once thrilling romance build-up now just pissed me off with their immensely cheestastic I Love You's. Seriously, I'm drowning
Rachel
Sep 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
♥Rachel♥
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Ember McWilliams feels cursed. I think I would feel the same way if I had her ability. Two years ago she was in a car accident in which she died and was brought back to life by her little sister, Olivia. Ever since then her touch kills any living thing. She goes around with gloves to prevent any accidents but also to cover scars all over her arms left by the accident. As if that wasn’t enough, her normally brown eyes were turned sky blue after the accident. Ember once was a popular outg
Sinead
It’s my unofficial booknerd mission to read every single one of Jen’s books. I’m up to date on all her latest releases, so let’s step back five years: to 2012, which was when this book was released. I was a little worried, as Jen has improved loads as a writer and I thought the writing wouldn’t be as good, but I was wrong! This was, just like the rest of Jen’s books, really enjoyable.

It tells the story of Ember. At first, you think she’s just an ordinary high school student, but then you discov
Julianna Helms
Quick Reaction: I feel kind of bad about the two-stars thing. But the truth is, Cursed was at best just a mere okay for me...

**Actual, full review** Original is here on my blog. (Note: due to copy-and-paste, most formatting and links have been lost.)

If you are a frequent reader of book blogs, you're probably more-than-familiar with Jennifer L. Armentrout. She wrote the Covenant and Obsidian series, both of which are quite the hit, especially among bloggers. So I would like to preface this review
Eunice
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it

Cursed is a fantastic novel that even though has a pretty common trope - the touch of death - was still able to offer something that is quite different and fresh. And although I did find it not as striking as Armentrout's first two published novels it was still a fairly entertaining read with outstanding characters and fantastic twists.

Embers suffered a lot since the accident that caused his father to die and her to have the ability of touch of death. Her mother had gone into depressio
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
I was looking through Jennifer Armentrout's list of books she had written and saw this one. It was published in September, 2012 and I hadn't heard anything about it. I thought it sounded really interesting and boy am I glad I gave it a shot. What a great book! The characters all had so many layers to them. They all had secrets and you just never are sure who to like and who to mistrust. Until the very end.

Ember had a seemingly normal life. She was a normal, angsty teenager, until that fateful n
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Cursed Review on K-Books

"Hayden was kind of drool-worthy. Okay. Not kind of. Definitely drool-worthy."

Wow, I don't even know where to start with this review. Cursed was the first book by Jennifer L Armentrout I ever heard about. It's been added to my must-have list for over a year so you can imagine my excitement when I found out I was getting it for review from the awesome Spencer Hill Press. Since hearing about (and dying to read) Cursed last year I have read all of Jennifer's other books an
 Abril Sol
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, this wasn't a literary masterpiece but, as I always say, it's Jennifer L. Armentrout. I can't help but love her books, her stories and romances are always sooooo compelling. I loved the relationship between Ember and Hayden (by the way, I LOVE the name Hayden), he is such a nice guy and eventhough Em was annoying sometimes I could see where all her insecurities came from.
This book was very Shatter Me and I was surprised to find out this one was published before Cursed. I'm not saying this
Karalee
Of course, another amazing JLA book!
Isabella
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Ok, the end was way better than the whole book! But that can't be THE ending, I mean... There are so many questions that have been left hanging, there MUST be a sequel! D: I NEED a sequel....
I'll be here waiting, Armentrout.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
This book is so engaging! When you start reading, you feel like you need to just read on, even if it's creepy and cheesy, it's written like spiced seeds, you just go through the bag without feeling! It's not so good or so bad, it's a good light read to pass time.

~Tina~
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cursed is a story about a girl named Ember McWilliams. Two years ago she was in a car accident that took away her father and even her own life. But her naturally gifted three year old sister, Olivia, brought her back from the dead, but at a price. While Olivia can bring back any living thing that dies, Ember causes death by a simple touch.
Two years later, their mother isn't right and is still feeling the effects after the lost of her husband, money is running out and Ember has to take care of O
Maca
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love love love this book ❤
Okay, not that much but still a lot!
Since I was little I loved movies where were people with superpowers. I think the first movie was X-men and my favorite character was Wolverine (he still is my favorite🥰).
This book has also characters with superpowers and so I had to read it.

Plot
The story is mainly about girl Ember who is trying to survive with her 5 years old little sister. They are living with their mum, but she is kind of “crazy”, so Ember has to do almost everyt
Lea (Between fantasy and reality)
Between fantasy and reality

Jennifer L. Armentrout has done it again. The easiness with which this woman creates fantastic stories and memorable characters really shouldn’t surprise me anymore She wrote a novel with an interesting plot, swoon worthy love interest, kick-ass heroine, a hurricane of emotions and plenty of surprises thrown our way. Again. I really look forward to any book she writes and every time she announces a new book I am so excited that I get on my friends nerves. “Cursed” is r
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing
Two years ago Ember was killed in a car accident but her little sister, who has a mysterious gift brought her back to life. But when Ember came back something was wrong .Now everything she touches dies.

I was lured into reading this book by the blurb on the front cover.

It said “Jennifer L. Armentrout is the Queen of creating novels with kick-butt heroines, drop-dread gorgeous guys, and loads of sexual tension...”

I say “Meh...”

First of all Ember never once kicked anyone’s butt. What she did do wa
Caitlin L
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice change to the normal hot arrogant guy and bad ass girl Jennifer normally writes about. Really liked the story, how much darker it was than her usual books. Totally saw the evil guy coming, but not the prankster person (thought it was too obvious... I guess not xD). Not my favorite of her books, but I still really liked it!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I liked this, not a favorite from this author but it was still pretty good. Full review to come.
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Good, angsty YA... but not great.

Has a 'The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer' feel to it. I'll most likely continue the series, but I'm not in any great hurry. It certainly didn't hit me like the Lux series did. Cursed is still a solid YA read that's not totally obsessed with sex, I'd recommend it to like-minded readers.
Marie
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another amazing book by Jennifer Armentrout, I wouldn't say I loved it as much as I love her half-blood and lux series but I don't think I could ever NOT enjoy one of her books.

I was fixated by this series when she released the first 2 chapters so I was eager to snap up this book and read more. I could not put it down. Once I started it was like I could think of nothing else.

The whole story had me second guessing from the beginning. I didn't know who to trust, who was innocent and who was the
Nikki
Feb 22, 2012 marked it as to-read
We all know that Jennifer's books are amazing, but i see something here again. The two books I'v read by her, Half-Blood and Obsidian, both seem to have taken tids nd bits of a few other novels, and I really hate it when authors copy things from other books. So, by the small description of her new book Cursed, I find it similar to the most swoontastic book on earth, Touch (Denazen #1). If after reading Cursed I see that its similar to any other book I'v read, I'm gonna stop reading Jennifer's bo ...more
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I don't think I realized that this book featured a cast of characters with special gifts -- rather than just the MC being cursed -- or I probably would have read it sooner. However, the cheese-factor was off the charts with this one, so maybe that's why I put it off? Whatever the case, it was a relatively fun way to pass the time at work, but it's not going on any of my favorites lists.
Beth Hudspeth
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Update: I survived. Great read!

2 JLA books at one time... will I survive?
YA Reads Book Reviews
Aug 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nichole
Originally posted on www.yareads.com, Reviewed by Nichole

Dying sucks–and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.
Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things–including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he’s a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she
Kristy
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
I am seriously too busy lately. I hate the lack of reading time in my life. And, then when I actually have free time, what have I been doing? Not reading my friends, I have become addicted to this stupid game called Froggy Jump. It is taking over. If I'm not playing that, then I have been a TV slug. What is wrong with me?

Grrrrr-ing at myself.

Brief synopsis for those of you wondering what this is about:
So basically this is about Ember. A girl who died and whose younger sister has the ability to b
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Not one of my favourite JLA books (it can't compare to the Lux series which stole my heart) but I really enjoyed it all the same :D
Donna {Book Passion For Life}
It's no secret that Jennifer L. Armentrout is one of my favourite authors, so it was a given that as soon as I heard about Cursed - I knew I'd read it. And after reading it I can say, it's another great story from this fantastic author!

After a fatal car accident Ember McWilliams died, well that is until her little sister bought her back from the dead, and now Ember's life has changed forever. Anything Ember touches - dies, so she goes out of her way not to touch anyone. But when she accidentall
YA Buddy Readers'...: Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout - Starting February 20th 2017 5 16 Feb 24, 2017 12:06AM
I really want another book! 16 41 Jan 03, 2015 04:22PM
Spencer Hill Press: Cursed by Jennifer L Armentrout 21 42 Sep 24, 2012 03:28PM

• Betraying Innocence
  • What Tomorrow May Bring
  • The Fall
  • Gideon's Promise (Son's of Judgment, #2)
  • A Perfectly Split Christmas: A Split Short Story
  • Angelsong (Dark Angel, #3)
  • Inbetween (Kissed by Death, #1)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • Unchained (Nephilim Rising, #1)
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • My Heart Be Damned (Damned, #1)
  • Toxic (Denazen, #2)
  • Walking Dead Girl (Vampireland, #1)
  • Avow (The Archers of Avalon, #3)

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and # 1 International Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Charles Town, West Virginia. All the rumors yo
“What are you still doing up?”

I twisted around, spotting Hayden in the doorway. “Watching the… uh,” I turned back, frowning at the screen, “the… way tigers mate.” I sighed. Damn you, Discovery Channel.

He chuckled deep in his throat. “Didn’t know that kind of thing interested you.”

“Oh. Yeah, always wanted to know how they picked their boyfriends.”
55 likes
“You quoted Oscar Wilde.” I smiled.

Hayden laughed. “Yeah, that was, like, the height of geekdom.”

“No. It was kind of cool.”
37 likes