Start by marking “The Organic Home Garden” as Want to Read:
The Organic Home Garden

The Organic Home Garden

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  21 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In The Organic Home Garden, Patrick and John, take readers step-by-step through the engaging process of growing the best possible food - from spring's fi rst spinach, asparagus and salad greens, through the summer abundance of tomatoes, cucumbers, melons and all, right into fall's harvest of squash, leeks, carrots and potatoes. Often, a small timely tip makes all the diffe ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Five Rivers Chapmanry (first published June 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Organic Home Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Organic Home Garden

San Frazier
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
So I just received my book I am so happyabout this. Please bear with me as I am currently reading a few books right now. However I would like to saw that the cover is wonderful and so far all I have glanced at is awsome> I am currently taking a garden class and I seee quite a bit of the garden ling in this book awesome. I have read a few pages and to me it reads more like a story than a how to book which I find wonderful. So far the details are really good and I love the pages dedicated getti ...more
Nicole
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Good Reads giveaway.

This is a very nice book with lots of good information. I was surprised to see that there was no reference to the different planting zones. I live in Zone 10 and many of the varieties listed in the book don't do well where I live. If you are new to gardening, the missing info on planting zones is crutial in planning your garden. There were basic references to organic fertilizers and pest control, but I would have liked to have read more about these topics
Lynne
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: gardeners with some experience
Lots of good ideas here for gardeners with some experience, but this book does not provide enough detail for first-time food gardeners. It is inspirational and heartening, especially for anyone who gardens in the difficult climate of the Bruce peninsula (Ontario). Another reviewer complained about the lack of planting zone information, but I believe the real insights of this book stem from the fact that the author has found ways of coping with the challenges of this specific geographic area.

Some
Andrea
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is fabulous! The minute I had it in my hands, I started paging through it. At first I wanted to see generally what was in it, but then I found myself reading bits and pieces and finally whole sections. The book is well laid out and the writing is perfect for those of us who love to garden but don't know much about how to do it. I will definitely keep this as a handy reference for all of my gardening questions. I think I may also try growing a few new things...
Cyndy
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I received my free copy from Good Reads yesterday and stayed up very late reading it cover to cover. I have been organic gardening for many years and found this book to have answers to many of my questions. Although it is snowing now, I am already planning next year's garden!

A very easy read, with lots of information. Colour pictures would have been a nice touch. Highly recommended for any urban or rural gardener or wannabe gardener.
Nicole
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it
* I won this book as a first reads giveaway *

I wish there were some color photos or at least colored illustrations in this book, but other than that the content was informative and well organized. Very useful for someone wanting to start a home garden.
Maijabeep
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: environment
I won a copy of this book from goodreads.

This is a good basic primer for vegetable noobs like me. I didn't find the writing that engaging, but it's certainly a very useful book.
FiveRivers
Kirsten
rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2011
m.toast
rated it did not like it
Jan 01, 2013