Start by marking “Sweeter Than Birdsong (Saddler's Legacy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sweeter Than Birdsong (Saddler's Legacy, #2)

Sweeter Than Birdsong

(Saddler's Legacy #2)

Music offers Kate sweet refuge from her troubles...But real freedom is sweeter.

In Westerville, Ohio, 1855, Kate Winter's dreams are almost within reach. As the first woman to graduate from Otterbein College, she'll be guaranteed her deepest wish: escape from the dark secret haunting her family. But with her mother determined to marry her off to a wealthy man, Kate must fac
Published February 6th 2012 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Sweeter Than Birdsong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweeter Than Birdsong

Kav
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gobsmackingly good! LOL, how's that for an endorsement? One of the things I appreciated the most is Elliott's attention to historical detail. The whole book is seeped in history, but it doesn't bog the reader down. I especially enjoyed the references to the social niceties of the day. Useful bits of information like a lady making sure she stands four feet away from a gentleman for propriety's sake. It felt like I had been swept back in time! Love that feeling of complete escape!

Kate's struggle t
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
This is a mini ‘Books For Christian Girls’ review. It is not a full content review and will not receive one. These mini-reviews are years old and just for clarity on the rating the book received on Goodreads.

5/4/2015-
"Stopped at page 179 due to the bounty hunter parts. I found them to personally be too much and do not want to continue."
*Main Content-
Kate's father gets drunk and pulls her mother and sister's hair (semi-detailed); Blood (semi-detailed); Many mentions of slavery, slaves being b
Michelle
More like 4.5 stars...

Sweeter than Birdsong had it's enjoyable moments, and there were even a few times when I was downright enthralled and didn't want to do anything but read this book. On the flip side, there were a few spots where I found myself skimming, but overall I thought the book was well-written and inspiring. I even liked it enough to put the first book in the series on my "hope to read" list, which is something I don't do often. I loved Ben's character and the adventure his family ha
Casey
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
“Sweeter than Birdsong” weaves emotions, our nation’s greatest tragedy and characters that long to stand up for what’s right.

I think I felt the most connection with Kate. Though I have never been one to struggle with being shy or afraid to speak publically, I can understand that debilitating fear that can take over you. Her gentle growth through the story was absolutely perfect and I had to cheer when she stood up for something she believed in and was passionate about.

The fact that the novel is
Abbi
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Check out my review here: http://writingchristiannovels.blogspo...
Bookworm1858
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Last year I read Fairer Than Morning and liked it so I was excited to give the second book a try. This time we jump ahead to 1855 in Ohio with the protagonists of that book still playing an important role in anti-slavery efforts including aiding fugitive slaves in defiance of the Fugitive Slave Act and writing an anti-slavery song that ends up being compared to Uncle Tom's Cabin in terms of impact. So it's pretty exciting for a history nerd to read about these events on the brink of the Civil Wa ...more
Margaret Chind
The bulk of reviews are in for this new release to a fairly new author and the opinions are high! The cover is the first thing that grips me for this novel as it tells so much a story on it's own. Interestingly the heroine in this novel has a different personality than I find myself used to in reading Christian Historical settings, but it's intriguing. Part of it is odd to me, because by the descriptions it seems as if she has always had the anxiety disorder, but is only recently trying to overc ...more
Mary
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I did not know when I first starting reading this novel that the story was true. My first reading by this author, I enjoyed her writing and language from the start. The story had good layering and interesting characters. I will look for this author again and hope to read more of her stories. As a born Southerner, I will always have interest in matters of the Civil War, slavery, along with compassion and truth.
AJ
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Grab the tissues! Rosslyn Elliott's sophomore effort is as enthralling as her debut, and even more poignant. The seamless blend of fact and fiction in these historical novels is dazzling, and perfectly brings to light the real-life struggles of the Hanby family.
Daniela
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweeter Than Birdsong continues the legacy of excellent historical fiction from the first book in the series, Fairer Than Morning. Rather than a continuation of that story, this one focuses on a society girl and the oldest Hanby son, Ben. Follow these two through a tumultuous experience with the Underground Railroad, society, and music. An excellent read faithfully based on the true story of the Hanby family of Westerville, Ohio. It does assume you have read Fairer than Morning, even though it i ...more
Taryn Rai Spearey
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kate is a young woman in love with a man her mother disapproves of. She tries to continue seeing this man, even though it's against her mother.

Ben comes into Kate's life as a potential suitor her mother disapproves. At first, Kate is very angry at her mother. As she and Ben get to know each other, Kate starts to fall in love with him. This makes her mother mad, and tries to separate the two.

I disliked Kate's mother the most because of the way she treated Ben. I tyhink she judged him a little too
Kami S
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
2 1/2 rounded up to 3 stars.
There is not much romance in this series.. so if that's what you're looking for, this is not the book for you. However, I did find it somewhat interesting historically. I learned a bit more about the underground railroad and the risks these people took for the lives of others. It is a slower read than some like, but I didn't mind that so much since I had to put it down often to do other things... but I can't say that I was bored by it.
Cindi
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
The second book was just as good as the first! It definitely sheds light on the United States during the final decades of slavery. I like that the story is based on real people which leads to more believable and enjoyable historical fiction. Not too lovey dovey but with the romance still there. Definitely would recommend to others!
Connie Mae Lilley
Biblically-based

Elegantly written, this historic fiction takes one to the early days of abolition, without being too burdened with a history lesson. Anyone who enjoys Christian themes, romance, literature, would enjoy this novel.
Sharon
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not as good as the first book, which pulled me into the story from the first chapter. This one dragged with nothing much happening until more than half way through, then seemed to end rather abruptly. I almost didn't finish it and I'm not sure I'll read the next in the series.
Tammy
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christian Historical fiction lovers
Shelves: 4-stars, own
A shy young lady struggles with speaking in public until she meets a young man with a cause. Pre Civil war Ohio.
Elise
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Good, but disagreed with how they portrayed honoring parents on this one I think. At least at this point in my parenting journey :o)
Amy Gieser
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
VERY slow moving. Hard to keep picking up. I did manage to finish by skimming a lot. There is practically no romance in this book or series so far. Don’t think I’m going to bother with the 3rd book.
Jennifer Moore
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book but hated she changed so much of Kate's family dynamics.
Katie
Dec 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stopped-reading
Stopped reading at chapter 18 because I just couldn't get interested in it. I really enjoyed the first book in this series, but this one was difficult to pick up.
Victor Gentile
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rosslyn Elliott in her new book, “Sweeter than Birdsong” Book Two in The Saddler’s Legacy published by Thomas Nelson takes us to Ohio in 1855.

From the back cover: Music offers Kate sweet refuge from her troubles . . . but real freedom is sweeter.

In Westerville, Ohio, 1855, Kate Winter’s dreams are almost within reach. As the first woman to graduate from Otterbein College, she’ll be guaranteed her deepest wish: escape from the dark secret haunting her family. But with her mother determined to mar
Lakin
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sweeter Than Birdsong
ONE OF THE MOST INSPIRING BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ!
This book was truly inspiring! I am going to warn you now though that I almost gave this book a 4, because parts of it were so extremely sad, but after time away from the book, I am ready to give it a 5, because of how inspiring it was and great message that it conveys.

I totally relate to Kate Winters! As a student at the top of her class at the beginning, she was so shy and afraid to speak in front of her College class. I am
Tammi
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sweeter Than Birdsong by Rosslyn Elliott is the second in The Saddler’s Legacy, and is set mainly in Westerville, Ohio 1855. I haven’t read the first book in the series Fairer than Morning (although I would like to), but that didn’t seem to matter, because the author fills the reader in where it is needed.

Kate Winter's dreams of being one of the first women to graduate from Otterbein College, but she thinks this dream is lost when her fear of public speaking causes her to flee the classroom when
Katie
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

I really enjoyed this next installment to the Saddler Legacy series. And since it wasn’t long ago that I read the first in the series, Fairer than Morning, all the characters were fresh in my mind, and I loved watching their offspring’s grow and mature. While I have to say that, out of the two, I liked the first one better, Sweeter Than Birdsong was a lovely addition to the story and a very ‘sweet’ read.

Kate Winter intrigued me immediately because of h
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Title: SWEETER THAN BIRDSONG
Author: Rosslyn Elliot
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
February 2012
ISBN: 978-1-59554-786-6
Genre: Inspirational/historical

Kate Winter is on track to be the first woman to graduate from Otterbein College in 1855. She is making As in all her classes, but she is so painfully shy that she cannot give the speech required to graduate. In desperation, her mother tells her that she must audition for a play, and Kate reluctantly agrees, but only if she can sing. She feels that if she s
Courtney
Sweeter than Birdsong swept me off my feet at times with the sweet romance and the enthralling adventure they were on. There were also times though, especially in the beginning, that I found myself skipping some of the unnecessary details. I would have probably given this book 5 stars if there was about 50-100 pages shorter but I do understand why some of the lengthier details were included.

I really enjoyed both main characters Ben and Kate. Kate reminds me a lot of myself, I am deathly afraid o
Virginia Campbell
"Sweeter Than Birdsong", the second book in author Rosslyn Elliott's "The Saddler's Legacy" series, continues the compelling saga of the Hanby family with a well-crafted blend of fact and fiction. Set in Ohio a few years before the beginning of the Civil War, book two in the trilogy features Ben Hanby, son of Will and Ann Hanby, whom we met when the series first began. Ben is the musical mastermind of Otterbein College, as passionate about music as he is about helping folks find freedom through ...more
Jo Linsdell
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sweeter than Birdsong is the second book from the Sadller's Legacy series (a work of fiction inspired by a real family in American history- the Hanby family, who are to this day the most celebrated citizens of Westerville, Ohio.

"Music offers Kate sweet refuge from her troubles...but real freedom is sweeter."

Kim Justice
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
My Review:

Just let me start this review off by saying I am not one to read about history. Actually it wasn't even a subject in school that I much liked. But if written into a book such as Sweeter Than Birdsong and I will read with excitement. Maybe due to how it is written or just the fact that I am not necessarily suppose to learn something.

Rosslyn Elliott's writing has a way of putting you right into the story. Her building of her characters are such that you could find yourself in any one of
Liz
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kate Winter is a painfully shy young woman, but she has a stunning soprano voice that gets the attention of anyone who hears her sing. She's set on escaping to freedom from the secret pains her family brings, a controlling mother and a drunken father.

Ben Hanby, a young man anticipating becoming a minister, has a secret of his own. Just as his parents before him, he desires to aid fugitive slaves to escape through the Underground Railroad.

Ben and Kate's relationship quickly moves from college a
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 17, 2014 10:38AM

• Beauty for Ashes (Hickory Ridge, #2)
  • Dawn Comes Early (The Brides of Last Chance Ranch, #1)
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #3)
  • Song of My Heart (Heart of the Prairie, #8)
  • Twice Promised (The Blue Willow Brides, #2)
  • Mary's Blessing (McKenna's Daughters, #2)
  • Through Rushing Water
  • Surrender the Dawn (Surrender to Destiny, #3)
  • Raider's Heart (Backwoods Brides #1)
  • The Heart's Frontier (The Amish of Apple Grove, #1)
  • Before the Scarlet Dawn (Daughters of the Potomac, #1)
  • Heart's Safe Passage (The Midwives, #2)
  • The Forgiven Duke (Forgotten Castles, #2)
  • Words Spoken True
  • Heart of Gold
  • A River to Cross
  • Baroness (Daughters of Fortune, #2)
  • Heart of Glass (Irish Angel, #3)
Rosslyn Elliott is a professional writer, researcher, and editor who also loves photography. Her chief joys include learning new skills, getting past small talk to the real human being beneath, and writing articles that help people laugh or think or just feel better. She believes in healthy spirituality that includes and dignifies all people, especially strangers, the poor, and those who are margi ...more

Saddler's Legacy (3 books)
  • Fairer Than Morning (Saddler's Legacy, #1)
  • Lovelier Than Daylight (Saddler's Legacy, #3)
“outside. Her mother looked up from her embroidery.” 0 likes