Start by marking “Ten Little Niggers” as Want to Read:
Ten Little Niggers

Ten Little Niggers

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  504,037 Ratings  ·  19,150 Reviews
First, there were ten - a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal - and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. On ...more
Published September 1980 by Fontana / Collins (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Little Niggers, please sign up.

Jackie Allen That's exactly what I like about it. I love not being able to guess who did it. Often killers are so easy to work out. This one had me guessing until…moreThat's exactly what I like about it. I love not being able to guess who did it. Often killers are so easy to work out. This one had me guessing until the very end and even then I read back to see what I missed!(less)
Azur The original title was actually "Ten little niggers". There is (was?) a small island named Nigger Island that inspired Christie for the setting. Since…moreThe original title was actually "Ten little niggers". There is (was?) a small island named Nigger Island that inspired Christie for the setting. Since this is pretty offensive it was changed to "Ten little Indians". The children's rhyme was originally about Indians/Native Americans. This was deemed offensive too, so today they use the last line of the children's rhyme as title and the little figures were changed to soldiers.
Information from my copy of the book.

I have two versions of this book. One is the English version with the little soldiers. The other one is a German translation of the original version with the N word (and a ton of apologies in the preface) but also with the last line as title. (less)

Mohammed Arabey
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
يجب أن أعترف أن ضيق أفقي هو مامنعني من دخول عالم أجاثا كريستي
فمنذ صغري لم تبهرني أغلفة قصصها المترجمة للعربية
كما أن معرفة والدي لافلامها وقراءة والدتي لروايتها منذ الصغر جعلني أشعر أن الغموض بهذه القصص "موضة قديمة" وألغازها ستكون مكشوفة لي
ناهيك عن مقولة "لابد أن الخادم هو من فعلها كقصص أجاثا كريستي" جعلتني
متشككا أن الحل دائما نمطيا
فلماذا أقرأ لها؟..لم يعد هناك شئ

عشر عساكر صغار ذهبوا الي العشاء
اختنق احدهم ..ثم تبقي تسعة

الي ان جائتني دعوة..دعوه لقراءة احد كتب اجاثا كريستي لانها في قائمة أعلي
Nataliya

This lovely mystery book is first and foremost about the administration of the long-overdue justice, right? At least that's what the mastermind behind it all believes.

But the question is - who has the right to decide what justice is? And who is to decide what punishment serves the crime? And is perceived justice at all costs the ultimate goal, or is it the frequently pointless work of a maniac? As a matter of fact, what is justice after all?

I think the story of this book (the one that may win th
Kinga
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin I would like to apologise for my use of the N word in this review.
It is necessary, I promise.

This book was originally published in UK under a charming title of "Ten Little Niggers". When it came to the US version in the 40's someone decided that 'Ten Little Niggers' is not the most marketable title for a book so they changed it to 'Ten Little Indians' (as it was still ok to call Native Americans Indians then).
Only years after someone decided that neither 'Niggers', nor 'Indians'
Emily May
I'm a big lover of Agatha Christie, she has written some fantastic murder mysteries and her stories never get tiring. But this is the one that just comes out on top every time.

It partly, and quite amusingly, reminds me of that old American murder mystery in Sunset Beach. Basically, they're the only ones on this island and someone is killing them off one by one in accordance with the Ten Little Indians rhyme . And I swear I never saw it coming, and I'm usually very good at it. It's just a very cl
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. This is the book that started my absolute love of the mystery genre. I was addicted and must have read it 3 or 4 times over the course of the year. Between the poem, the deserted island, the plot twist, the count-down, the pure clandestine suspense... it couldn't get any better.

Story
Ten people receive a mystery letter from someone they don't know that indicates they should come to a remote island. Why would they go????? After arriving, the
Anne

Reread: 2015
Because some Non-Crunchy Cool Classic Pantaloonless friends thought I read it wrong...

description

Turns out, I did. This was a really good mystery!
{insert long-winded apology with much groveling}
Happy, guys?

description

The story goes a bit like this:
10 strangers each get invitations from someone they think they know, to stay on an island resort. Hells yeah! Sunshine & sea air!

description

Well, resort is a bit of a misnomer.
It's really a big house on an island. Still, it's famous for being a party place, and nobody
Brina
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This year I have decided to take part in a women's century challenge in the group catching up on classics where the participants read a book written in ten consecutive decades. I chose to focus on the 20th century and my 1930s selection is And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Although I had previously read some of her Hercule Poirot cases, this is my first stand alone mystery of Christie's that I have read. A suspenseful premise for a case, And Then There Were None left me on edge for th ...more
Alejandro
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, detective, novel
Extraordinary and gripping novel!

I knew that the best way to start reading the literary work by Agatha Christie was choosing her most known book. And There were none is the best-selling mystery novel of all time with 100 million of copies, and the fifth book in the list comprehending all genres. That is something to give to Agatha Christie the respect that she deserves.

Initially this novel on UK was titled Ten Little Niggers, only because the original nursery rhyme was called that but it was obv
Kai
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, classics
“When the sea goes down, there will come from the mainland boats and men. And they will find ten dead bodies and an unsolved problem on Soldier Island.”

My first Agatha Christie, and a good one indeed. And Then There Were None just recently came to my attention. Maybe it was the new mini series or the many people suddenly reading this, but I was intruiged immediately. I can't wait to watch the series!

Agatha Christie totally tricked me. I thought I had figured it out, but I was wrong. This novel t
Junta
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Junta by: Detective Conan
"Ten literary Goodreads reviewers chatting online;
One bot was discovered and then there were Nine.
Nine literary Goodreads reviewers on a thread until late;
One lost his Wi-Fi signal and then there were Eight.
Eight literary Goodreads reviewers groupreading Austen;
One only read males and then there were Seven.
Seven literary Goodreads reviewers averse to using pics;
One blasphemed with GIFs and then there were Six.
Six literary Goodreads reviewers booktubing live;
One revealed too much and then there
EVERYONE Has Read...: And Then There Were None - *SPOILERS* 73 240 Jan 12, 2018 07:34AM
Around the Year i...: And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie 31 182 Jan 11, 2018 01:10PM
World Mysteries a...: Who was your first? 17 31 Jan 07, 2018 07:58AM
Did anyone suspect? 147 1268 Jan 07, 2018 02:04AM
Shepherd Center B...: October 19 - And Then There Were None 2 4 Dec 18, 2017 07:42AM
Books like And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 1 21 Dec 09, 2017 11:16PM
  • Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey, #12)
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • The Sanctuary Sparrow (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #7)
  • The Doorbell Rang (Nero Wolfe, #41)
  • The Mystery of the Yellow Room
  • The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5)
  • The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1)
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Black Tower (Adam Dalgliesh #5)
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin #1)

More about Agatha Christie...
“Ten little Indian boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine.
Nine little Indian boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were eight.
Eight little Indian boys travelling in Devon; One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.
Seven little Indian boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.
Six little Indian boys playing with a hive; A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.
Five little Indian boys going in for law; One got in Chancery and then there were four.
Four little Indian boys going out to sea; A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.
Three little Indian boys walking in the Zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were two.
Two little Indian boys sitting in the sun; One got frizzled up and then there was one.
One little Indian boy left all alone; He went and hanged himself and then there were none.”
539 likes