Start by marking “The Green Frogs: A Korean Folktale” as Want to Read:
The Green Frogs: A Korean Folktale

The Green Frogs: A Korean Folktale

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Two green frogs love disobeying their mother. They always do the opposite of whatever she tells them to do—they stay in bed when she wakes them, they make a mess when she asks them to clean. They’re so contrary, they even croak backwards!
Published May 25th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Frogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Frogs

Ronyell
Frogs

I have read many folktales from Russia, China, and Africa, but never have I heard a folktale from Korea. While I was searching for some children’s books in the library, I stumbled upon a book called “The Green Frogs.” At first, I thought that this was going to be a comedic story; however, I was awed at how serious yet true this story really is. “The Green Frogs” is a great story about facing the trials that each parent goes through whenever their child misbehaves and the guilty conscious that t
Brittany Hinton
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is another book that I will keep in my classroom library, because of the genre. This book will give my students more experience with different genres and styles of writing.
Ashlea
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Green Frogs is a Korean folktale about two frogs that never listened to their mother, whatever she said they would do the opposite. If she said be quiet, they would croak loudly, if she said don’t get dirty they would play in the mud. This went on for years and years and finally the mother frog got sick and knew she was going to die. She wanted to be buried on the sunny side of the hill so she told her sons to bury her in the shade by the stream. Once she died, her sons felt bad for never li ...more
Betsy
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious in a twisted kind of way. Also loved the illustrations.
Relyn
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library's website
Upon first reading of this book, I really didn't like it. The ending was a bit disappointing. But, as I kept thinking, it grew on me and the ending became funny and a great lesson. Fun.
Emily
Although this book expresses that it is a folktale, it also has some elements similar to a fable. The characters were personified animals with a lesson to tell.

I stumbled across this book in a local bookstore and thought it would be fun to share with my students. I didn't pre-read before sharing, so I was just as shocked as they were when it took an unexpected turn. Even still, I found this story to be extremely enjoyable. The plot was fun and the choices the characters made were quite typical.
Brittney Noyer
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was unlike any other book that I've read before. It is a Korean folktale about 2 green frogs that disobey their mother. Whenever she tells them to do something, they do the opposite. When she dies, they obey her, but the mother was not expecting this so she was buried by the river bank. When it rains, her grave washes away and they cry, so that is why green frogs cry when it rains. A message to take away from this story could be that you should listen to other people and respect your p ...more
Nicholas King
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The Green Frogs: A Korean Folktale is another book i am not used to reading. This Korean Folktale shows that frogs are being seen as humans with how they talk and act. This is unrealistic, yet detailed and has great illustrations. Sadly, the frog dies at the end of the book. However, the frog's sons bury her by the stream. One message i got from this book is that this is why you see frogs by rivers and streams. Another message this book sends is that you should listen to what your parents want.
Alyssa Hunt
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A story about a mother frog who encourages her kids to get out of bed with food. She wanted her sons to help her clean up after themselves, but she ends up doing all of the work herself. She becomes tired and just wants to rest. The little green frogs are always doing the opposite of what she says and she is tired of it.
Tarin Cosby
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a folktale from Korea and reads very different from western folktales. This is about two frogs who don't listen to their mother and in the end they are sad and crying. I thought this book was okay, but the ending was very different from anything I have ever read and I enjoyed that a different culture that was showing.
Liv Nash
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
This story is a fun way to explain why frogs croak by the water when it rains while at the same time, tries to portray a message that you should always listen and understand your mother or guardian. When you don't, you deal with the consequences and it may haunt you for the rest of your life. It is interesting because the story and lesson is very important to Asian cultures.
Brenna Shull
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is about frogs who didn't listen to their mother. The message of this folktale is to obey your mother or parents. This book is named after children who do not obey their parents. This folktale also flows differently than Western and European folktales.
Tyne Mather
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a Korean folktale about two boy frogs who never listened to their mother. A message from this story would be to always listen to your mom/parents. In Korea, they say that kids who don't listen to their parents are called "green frogs".
Cheryl
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'll forgive the lack of note, as the author is from Korea. But I, personally, do not like this book at all. I give it two stars because it's different, fresh, and because I do see that it could be enjoyed by some readers.
LaQueena Ward
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Green Frogs is a traditional tale about two frogs that do not obey their mother until the day she died. This book is an awesome book for maybe k-2nd graders. This book can teach children to actually listen to their parents.
Jenna Parsons
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this book was extremely dramatic, but I think it is something that could be read to young readers to do something first before it is too late. Moral of the story respect your elders and listen and do the first time.
Michael
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A Korean folktale explaining why bad boys are called green frogs. Strange art.
Alexis Henson
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Another example of a book fantastic and teaching kids lessons. This one is about respecting your elders and parents. The little frogs refuse to obey there mother and chaos ensues.
Brianna
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The frogs love to disobey their mother. They do everything opposite to what she tells them to do. This is a good book about obeying your elders because it teaches them why you should listen.
Lauren Hoffman
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd
I like this book because all children can relate to it since they frequently disobey their parents like the frogs in the book do.
Karen Bessin
A traditional folktale tells of two green frogs who never listen to their mother, choosing instead to do the opposite of what she tells them, and of a mother who tries to outsmart her sons. Will the frogs ever learn to listen? What will become of their mom if they don’t? A cautionary tale for parents and children everywhere. (Genre: Folktale picture book. Ages 3-7.)
Hyeonjeong Lee
Personal Reaction - I don't like this story very much because of its sad ending. The son did not listen to his mom. Whenever she said doing something, he did the opposite. Her mother was very hard because of her son. Before she died, she told her son that she wanted to be buried on the bank of the river. She thought that the frog would do the opposite and would bury her on the mountain. However, it was his first time to listen to his mother. He buried her on the bank of the river and cried whene ...more
Megan Baker
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Green Frogs is a collection of folklore that is intended for primary readers. This book is about two young frogs that always do the opposite of what their mother tells them to do. One day their mother becomes ill and tells her sons to bury her in a place where she does not want to be buried in hope that her sons will do the opposite. When she dies her sons feel so bad that they decide to obey her final wishes.
I rated this book four stars because the illustrations were beautifully drawn wi
Fats
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I love, love, love the cover art of The Green Frog, Yumi Heo’s retelling of a Korean Folktale. The brightly colored illustrations in the book are done in pencil and oil paint. If you like reading about fables and folktales, then you might want to check this book out.

While I truly adore Heo’s artwork, I think that this book – the story, itself – would have worked better if it contained fewer words that could deliver a straightforward yet witty storytelling. The witticism is lost in the clutter of
Gwyneth
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yumi Heo's The Green Frogs, a retelling of a traditional Korean folktale, tells the story of a mother frog and her two rambunctious, mischievous sons who live together in a lotus pond. After the boys wreck havoc and disobey their mother time after time, this picture book retelling ends with a powerful message. Large, imaginative illustrations accompany each page of text and assist Heo in conveying the lesson that children should listen to their mothers before it is too late. Genre: Traditional L ...more
Clarity Artists
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful picture book for every age.
Maria
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mother frog has two sons, who never do anything that she says. In fact they do the exact opposite. Sometimes she has to trick them into doing what she wants them to do. This is the story about why disobedient children in Korea are called green frogs.

Why I picked up this book: While I was working in the children's room of my new library, this book jump out at me.

Why I finished it: I loved the illustrations! Gentle and beautiful.
Persephone
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a Korean folktale about a mother frog and her
two sons who always do the opposite of what she says.
The illustrations in this book are a bit strange, however
I really did enjoy the story.

Amy
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Folktale, picture book
Ienjoyed this Korean folktale. The illustrations are beautiful and the story itself is easy to follow. Very young children will enjoy hearing this tale and hopefully learn their lesson from it.I think this is a great book to help introduce children to folktales.
Betty Kim
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: korean-folktale
This is a book that represents Korean culture where I am come from. This book tell us why children who do not listen to their mother are called "chung-gaeguri" or "green frog." "Chung-gaeguri" is the word that I sometime heard from my mother when I did not listen to her.
« previous 1 3 4 next »