Start by marking “Progeny” as Want to Read:
Progeny

Read Book

Progeny

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  380 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
THE NEPHILIM WERE ON THE EARTH IN THOSE DAYS - AND ALSO AFTERWARD - WHEN THE SONS OF GOD WENT TO THE DAUGHTERS OF MEN AND HAD CHILDREN BY THEM. THEY WERE THE HEROES OF OLD, MEN OF RENOWN. - GENESIS 6:4

"Cussler, Brown, Hopkins!" - Heidi Ruby Miller, Ambasadora

"DaVinci Code meets Stargate...a gritty, bloody tale that will make you think, question, and cringe from one page to
Paperback, Second Edition, 394 pages
Published March 24th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Progeny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Progeny

Christopher Starr
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The first 4 verses of Genesis 6 introduce the rationale for God’s flooding of the earth: angels—the sons of God—were making wives out of the daughters of men. And having children with them. “There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.” (Genesis 6:4). The contention is that God caused the flood to wash away the remnants of this ...more
Jo Ann
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, supernatural
I like weird and unusual stories, and this book fits right in that category. Author Shawn Hopkins has rolled some of my favorites together (ancient Egyptian mythology, the biblical nephilim, and the mysterious Bermuda Triangle) and created at first glance a rather interesting tale. It also looks as if he took the time to do some research into these rather enigmatic subjects.

The first half of the book was not too bad. The writing was ok, nothing special, the characters seemed a bit flat and not
April
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I just received this in the mail and can't wait to jump in!

LOVED THIS BOOK! Trying to describe it to a friend, "Dan Brown meets Lost meets Left Behind". Nothing like I've ever read before and I am now officially a huge fan of Hopkins.

Megan
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I want to start by saying I am a long time non-believer, however I do enjoy a good mystery or thriller related to Christian mythology. I thought this story was well written, well researched, and overall a pretty enjoyable read. I like when an author creates a story around what can be considered unanswered questions from the Bible. For me it's the same as any other historical fiction that takes a few known details about an event or person and fills in the story with an interesting "what-if" scena ...more
Herb
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just loved this book! It connects the strange mysteries of history with the ancient scriptures of the Bible, Apocrypha and other ancient writings into a plausible thriller of a story. The action never stops and although sometimes very bloody, it never the less succeeds at keeping you on the edge of your seat while at the same time spinning a vivid picture of the areas described there. This book makes you think and ponder the mysteries that are here on this earth and the spiritual mysteries emb ...more
Karen
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who like adventure, mythology, and suspense.
Recommended to Karen by: won on good reads giveaway
Talk about a page turner. Although I had to read it a little at a time due to medical situations, I always regretted having to put it down. From the beginning it held me spell bound and anxious for the characters situation. The ties to the Bible, the Book of Enoch and Greek, Roman, and Egyptian mythology make this all the more exciting. It is the tale of the fallen spirits with Lucifer at the head who are planning a return to power, their off spring, the giants of myth and legend (and some arche ...more
Larry B Gray
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lately I have read several books dealing with the Nephilim and the fallen angels in the time before the flood. Shawn Hopkins, in Progeny, has done an excellent job of bring all these stories together into a high adventure and action story of the modern day struggle with good and evil.

The story he weaves is well develop and easy to follow. At the same time it keeps you on the edge of your seat wonder what the next twist in the story will bring. It was hard to put down once I got start reading it
Cathleen
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I want to extend my thanks to the author, Shawn Hopkins, for reaching out to me with his book.

There are so many reasons I found myself fascinated with this story from the opening line. The biblical references, the legends, mythology, and the research. The story is well thought out and presented with great writing skill.

I became so involved with this story that at one point my husband had to nudge me to get my attention. His comment "that must be a heck of a story you have your nose in, I have be
Mike
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
I liked how the book began but I got maybe 1/4 of the way into it and it lost me. Way too much blending of Christian beliefs with other cultures to come up with some weird plot about Titans and whatever.
To let everyone know, I have no problem with religions per se, but this book shoves it down one's throat a bit too much and when you start mixing it with things like the Bermuda Triangle, Titans, etc, it gets to be too much. A bit past 1/4 of the book and I can honestly say I couldn't care less
Chi Pham
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This book is so brilliant, profound on the one hand and creepy on the other hand. I was kept glued to my seat, and made to sacrifice a whole night just to finish the book, just to know what happens next. If you are a Christian, or if you happen to just finish "The Enchantress (Nicolas Flamel #6)" by Michael Scott, or if you are a fan of Dan Brown books, this book will definitely spark your interests. I am so glad that I got the book for free on Amazon.
Lauren edson-fisher
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-wins
This was a first reads good reads giveaway and it was a real page turner for me. It was filled with mythology, biblical references, suspense and historical references. I loved it and found it was well written with an annotated bibliography. I couldn't put it down.
Kelley Green
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was a bit beyond my limits of imagination I guess. Or maybe the concepts in the book crashed with my beliefs and so it made it a bit of a struggle to read. It was certainly imaginative and unique (or at least not any ideas I had experienced before) so in that way it was interesting.
Roseanne
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book would make a great movie.
Taylor M
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Step-mom won this book from GoodReads and I have to say that I am blown away. This book is a page turner, excellent read.
Fallon
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the cover, I actually found it quiet intriguing, which was why I picked the book up in the first place. This book had a lot of work in it, there was a ton of research done and it is quiet evident in this book. I think it may make people think, and that is always a good thing. Angels are a very popular theme in literature, there is just so much about them that can be speculated on especially fallen angels. This book takes an interesting view on the Nephelium and there were some very ...more
Lexie
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I like conspiracies and different integrations of history, religion, etc. however this book combined scriptures.from the Bible, the Book of Enoch, Freemasons, varying accounts of history, Atlantis, the Bermuda Triangle, and various historical artifacts all at once.

I was interested in the initial premise, and the protagonist John. Unfortunately the plot became so convoluted by trying to cram all of these elements in at once that I found myself skimming over several pages trying to get back into t
Timothy
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a fun story, with perhaps a bit to much food for thought for my tastes.

I would have preferred more attention to the action, but for me, the story was weighed down with a lot of explanation.

Throughout the story, the author offers chunks of dialog in support of the world he created, but the frustrating part for me was that I was ready to suspend my disbelief and didn't really need any convincing. I was completely ready to see a team of navy seals battle mythical monsters. There is some of
Julie
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook
For the life of me, I cannot coherently explain why I couldn't put this book down - but I couldn't. I can't even say it was a slow start but then it picked up. It WAS a slow start - I'm just not sure if it picked up or just became more interesting.

I don't know quite how to describe it except to say picture Ghostbusters in the Bermuda Triangle without the comedy and throw in a dash of Dogma and 2012.

Don't read this thinking it's a story about a guy trying to find his brother, who disappeared whil
David1700
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall a good story. I think the attention to detail is probably the finest point of the novel. The action scenes were also very well written. Being a history buff, I enjoyed a lot of the tie ins to ancient Egypt. At times the amount of information slows down the pace of the story, but its always balanced by the fact that its so thought provoking. On the negative side I would have to say the supporting characters are a bit lacking. With so much focus on the world around them and the history if ...more
Deborah
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Although I found Shawn Hopkins' "Progeny" a difficult read at times with so much information to be taken in, I liked the story. John seems to be a troubled man. When his brother"s teem of elite soldiers request he help them find Henry, he knows he must go to Bermuda and help in the search dispite any misgiving feelings he may have.
Hopkins uses Bible references and mythology to explain the Nephilium and other strange creatures found on the mysterious island John becomes standed on when lost in t
Belva
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Shawn Hopkins did a tremendous amount of research on this book. I think he may have actually overdone it because while it was interesting with non-stop action, the massive bulk of information tends to get overwhelming. He has so many nutball theories going on that it takes the reader to places they don't even need to go and detracts from the meat of the story. Personally, I'd have liked more character development. It would make this a better book.

I would still recommend this to those into Christ
Jeremy Poole
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it

This book could have been brilliant, with a heavy bit of editing.
The premise of this book is one I love, Ancient civilizations, gods and Satan, meet the Bermuda triangle and The Navy Seals. What more could I want?
It’s not what more I could want, but what less, Shawn babbles on about every ancient alien theory ever mentioned on the Discovery channel at length, usually as part of a conversation between the characters. The depth and length of these conversations had me scanning of jumping over larg
Jane
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
GRIPPING READ 4 1/2 STARS

PROGENY was a gripping read, & once I got started, I didn't put it down. I read it in about 5 hours; started it right after finishing the supper dishes.
It's incredibly well researched both Biblically & historically, but as opposed to say other authors, never tries to discredit the Church or Christians.
PROGENY has fallen angels, giants, the Bermuda triangle, Navy SEALs, an Army Ranger, and the descendants of a fallen angel all battling it out against each other
Joe Sopcich
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I first read the Demo Signet, and then Solomon's Key. With each one, I was engaged enough to continue reading but was disappointed with the under minding biblical tone, the constant unconnected plot jumping around, and the lack of editing. I started reading the Progeny only because a review I read grabbed me, (stargate meets Bermuda Triangle meets giants). I don't know if it was because I already had an ideas of Shawn's writing style, or because the story line was just that good, but I really en ...more
April Thomas
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book although I was a bit overwhelmed with all the references being made to all sorts of biblical, Free Mason, fallen Angels etc... the author did an outstanding job of researching all the information needed. I just really needed to read it slowly and refer back to other parts of the book to make sense of it all. If you like Mythology , History and Christianity, you will surly like this book.
Richard Ross
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it

Spellbinding theme, which kept me reading when I was more than ready to go to bed. Although I believe myself a Christian, I found the theme and references to the Bible and the Book of Enoch, namely the Golden Age or First Times, intriguing albeit tedious. The description of Fallen Angels could certainly explain the current government administration and President Obama. A thought provoking read whether you have a religious bent or not.
Rachel
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This books sounded so interesting...I couldn't wait to read it! But I couldn't finish the book. I gave it three stars because the idea was good. But there was way too much detailed description and I got lost in the plot. Plus, the Christianity of the characters seemed forced and was inserted into the story in a way that seemed awkward. I really wanted to like this book. I really tried to finish it. But it ends up with barely three stars.
Bobby Giles
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a hard read. It started out OK but as it went on the story got far too complex with all the details. It almost felt like it was turning into a theology textbook rather than a thriller.

The writing style is actually not bad, it's just the content that makes it such a difficult book. If Hopkins had toned the details down a bit and instead used those pages to build more to the story it could have been much better. Basically, it just needed much less religion and much more thriller.
Jamie Saphow (Wolfer)
I liked the book. The ideas were really awesome and the author had some insights based on incredibly thorough research, but...the plot was drawn out; it dragged on and at times became almost boring with the amount of research dialogue mixed in.
I say that this book was a nice way to read about a theory for religion, but it can get rather dry fairly often.
Debbie Heaton
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
In Hopkins’ novel, John Carter’s brother Henry has gone missing. The last anyone heard of him, he was off to Bermuda in search of ancient books. Reluctantly, John joins forces with Henry’s old Special Forces Teammates in an attempt to locate him.

As an ancient evil seeks to draw John into Hell, he must face his own past and hope for survival.

Gritty and fast-paced thriller.
Apocalypse Whenever: Free on Kindle: Progeny 1 20 May 19, 2013 11:42AM
  • King’s X: Anthology
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Rumors of Savages
  • Beyond Hades (The Prometheus Wars, #1)
  • Freezing Point
  • The Philanthropist's Danse
  • Refuge on Crescent Hill
  • Insomnia and Seven More Short Stories
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)
  • Silas
  • The Nexus (The Nexus, #1)
  • The Prophet Motive
  • Cloak
  • A Deceit to Die For
  • Time Up (Station One, #1)
  • Beyond the Wall
  • Night Corridor
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 3)
Not bound by any particular genre, Hopkins' stories range from giants and seagulls to Russian spies and the Bermuda Triangle! He lives in Pennsylvania with his wife and daughters and is currently working on the third installment of the Progeny series. For a taste of his humor and horror, grab the free novella, Seagull Summer!
More about Shawn Hopkins...