Start by marking “Inside” as Want to Read:
Inside

Inside

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  138 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A taut, masterful novel of friends and enemies, family and fate, and the relative nature of freedom.

When Myrden returns to his tough St. John’s neighbourhood after fourteen years in prison, he is swarmed by old friends and enemies, and a wife who hasn’t exactly been waiting for him. A cruel twist of fate has made Myrden famous: any wrongfully accused man released after suc
Published March 28th 2006 by Random House Canada (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside

Jo
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Fantastic book. It does get inside of his mind and shows how trapped someone can be in the prisons of their lives. Reminded me of David Adams Richards books also dealing with the east coast and creating very real families and troubles. The writing style I thought was perfect, short, static bursts of thought.
Loved it and read it in a couple of hours.
Bill
Oct 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, lit-fiction
Very unique novel. Written in abrupt, almost staccato style with most sentences four words or less...some only one word. Somehow it seems appropriate for the fractured life of the main character who has just been released from prison. A very interesting reading experience.
Renee
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up skimming this book by the end to see if it would end as expected. The writing style was different and it some how was a barrier to me being able to get into the story. There was just something missing about the story and characters.
Sara
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was a valid and important story. however the style it was written in was often confusing; which I understand is the point and how the character would have been feeling himself in the world again, but still made it harder to read.
Allegra Young
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Allegra by: Canada Reads
Shelves: can-lit, canada-reads, own
Newfoundland. Jail. Released. Wrongful conviction. Myrden.

The short sentences above represent the writing style of Kenneth J. Harvey for his novel "Inside". The story takes place in a small community in Newfoundland where Myrden has just been released from jail after being wrongly convicted. He is to be given a large settlement - the like of which is unimaginable to his selfish, disconnected wife, and worthless to Myrden, who has lost 14 years of his life to "the inside". Harvey writes in the th
Maddy
Dec 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-reads
SERIES: Standalone
RATING: 4.25

The emergence of the trend of DNA testing for people who have been convicted of crimes to prove or disprove their innocence has resulted in some major wrongs being righted. Myrden has been in prison for 14 years; the DNA testing shows that he was wrongfully convicted which leads to his release. How does a man adjust to going back to the so-called civilized society outside of the prison walls? Certainly, it would seem that Myrden has a lot of advantages that other r
Dave
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Who knows? Maybe you. Maybe not though.
This is a fairly simple story. A man from the wrong side of the tracks wrongly accused of a murder and the compensation that he would receive because of it. I am sure many would find this a little boring or mundane, but I really enjoyed getting inside Mr. Myrden's head; listening to his every thought on fairly ordinary events. However ordinary the event, his analysis of it is what is particularly entertaining, almost fascinating. For example:

"His mind kept filling with Jackie. She wasn’t there.
Claire
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
The start was powerful. I could almost read the main chararcter's mind, his thoughts. But after thirthy pages of incomplete sentences, it got to be long in the tooth.

I could sense his state of mind -- though he appears to be troubled and looking for trouble. I guess there are some parts of this world that simply thinks of drinking and carrying on.

So yes, I could read what he was thinking but I could not picture anything outside his mind. Except for a few street names, there is no description of
Julie Aquilina
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newfoundland
This one snuck up on me. The short, fragmented sentences give a harsh sense of reality to the life of Myrden - a man wrongly convicted of murder (who spends over a decade in prison). Myrden is released to a lifetime's worth of haunting mistakes. The story leaves so many questions, but there's just something bewitching about this prose and I'm left still feeling these characters' sadness and grief roaming around in my head. Another one thanks to www.bookfridge.com - Newfoundland and Labrador read ...more
Khalekan
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-2015
A comma, a comma, my kingdom for a comma.

Such an annoying book to try and read.

The short sentences quickly became tedious and there wasn't one character in the book I could empathise with.

And with each chapter averaging around forty odd pages, there was little relief from the staccato delivery.

Hemingway may have gotten away with that kind of stuff.....this guy didn't.

The sojourn in Spain near the end livened it up a bit and meant that for me at any rate it wasn't a complete waste of time.
Natalie
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fascinating tale. The style of this book is very different, but works so perfectly for the story being told, it had me hooked from page 1.
Mister Mryden is a flawed man, just wanting a quiet life, and for his daughter and Grand-daughter to have a better life than he has, and they've had so far!
I was blown away by how emotional this book made me, considering it's very plain, basic language and the short sharp sentences.
An excellent book, well worth a bash!
Marvin
Jul 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel might best be described this way: Short sentences. Short book. Seriously, though, it's a pretty powerful account of a man who is, at the beginning of the book, released from prison after DNA evidence clears him of a conviction for murder 14 years earlier. He subsequently receives a sizable financial settlement & struggles to figure out if he can use it to make it up to his family for failing them.
Joanie
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I spent the first half of this book just trying to get used to the unusual writing style, but after I got over the extremely short sentences, I was really impressed. By the end, I thought it was tragic and really beautifully done. I would've read it again immediately except that it had to go back to the library.
Jahmal Brown
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, great message. The perspective was very fresh to me. The book, from Chapter 1 to Chapter 7 had a great character development that I welcomed. We first see the main character as a released convict, who turns husband, father, lover and guardian. I enjoy that we never even got his name! Great book, would recommend.
Rachel
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a really interesting book about a man's life after he is exonerated and released from prison. It's slow and takes place mostly inside the main character's head, but I liked it. very muted book. It's definitely not for everyone.
Julia
Oct 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really did not enjoy this book at all - I managed to finish it but it was torture. I found some parts hard to follow. I connected with none of the characters - the only good part of the book was when I finished it and knew I never have to read it again.
Mike Carlson
Jul 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It takes a bit of patience to read through since the entire novel is written in a "staccato" style - completely short/choppy sentences. However, Harvey does a very good job with his insight into a world many of us don't really consider.
K. Taggart
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a keeper to read again. The style and plot kept me turning the pages and yet many passages made me pause to linger over the author's beautiful and sometimes heartbreaking phrasing.
Robin Tinani
I'm honestly not sure if I liked this book or hated it. It's such a hard story to read. The writing style is different from anything else I've ever read.
Chad
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you like prison stories? Love haunting and haunted characters? This book is spare and poetic; you can read it in a single evening, and it is seriously great fiction.
Shirley
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like deep thinking feeling books. This one did it for me
Keith
Nov 27, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
After the first 50 tortuous pages, I gave up on this drivel! I always feel guilty giving up on a book, but I actually felt relieved when I threw this one aside.
Karen Marner
Confusing at times
Hilary
Jan 25, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not like the writing style.
David
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually did learn something from this book - the beauty of using pronouns sparingly. This is the first book I've read by this author but there will be more.
Karl
  • What They Wanted
  • The Lost Salt Gift of Blood
  • The Mountain and the Valley
  • Next Episode
International bestselling author Kenneth J. Harvey's books are published in Canada, the US, the UK, Russia, Germany, China, Japan, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Italy, Sweden, the Netherlands, Denmark and France. He has won the Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize, the Thomas Raddall Atlantic Fiction Award, the Winterset Award, Italy's Libro Del Mare, and has been nominated for the Books in ...more
More about Kenneth J. Harvey...