Start by marking “Finders Keepers (Exmoor Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Finders Keepers (Exmoor Trilogy, #3)

Finders Keepers

(Exmoor Trilogy #3)

At the height of summer a dark shadow falls across Exmoor. Children are being stolen from cars. Each disappearance is marked only by a terse note - a brutal accusation. There are no explanations, no ransom demands... and no hope.

Policeman Jonas Holly faces a precarious journey into the warped mind of the kidnapper if he's to stand any chance of catching him. But - still re
Published January 5th 2012 by Bantam Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Finders Keepers, please sign up.
A.J. Waines It does work as a standalone, but certain parts will leave you a bit mystified. Plus, I think the other two are better and you need to read them in…moreIt does work as a standalone, but certain parts will leave you a bit mystified. Plus, I think the other two are better and you need to read them in order, because Finders Keepers gives away some crucial information about Darkside (Blacklands is first). Rubbernecker (4th) is a stand alone and brilliant - the best, I'd say.(less)

Janet
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Children are going missing in the village of Shipcott in Exmoor. Being snatched and told in 'post it' form that they are not loved. DI Reynolds along with DS Rice are tasked with solving the case as they revisit old ground from the previous case.

Jonas is slowly recovering from the loss of his wife and Stephen has found love. All brilliant strands that weave beautifully together as Ms Bauer takes us for the last time to Exmoor to wrap up this brilliant trilogy. Reading this so soon after Darkside
Paul Bryant
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Can we really believe in the crime and the criminal here? I don't want to spoilerate this review, but the plot is a fairly big Ask, here. Disbelief has to be suspended from big rusty meathooks (hint hint) dangling from the fleshroom of an abbatoir (nudge).

British crime writers have a major problem that Americans don't – a relative lack of horrendousity. In the past decades American horrors have been plentiful but British crims tend to play it low-key. So I was thinking – can a guy get to be as
Fred Shaw
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How long does it take for a child to go missing? The time it takes to go inside the quick-mart to get some milk? The time it takes to turn your back in a busy shopping mall? It's not because you don't love them that you are careless is it? In the county I live in, it is against the law to leave a dog alone in a car. It is not against the law to leave a child in a car alone.

This is a chilling novel created by Belinda Bauer, published 2017, about a small town in England where there is an outbreak
Sharon Bolton
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"This fresh, brilliant scenery brought with it little pricks of guilt, like pins left in a new shirt.'

Children on Exmoor are disappearing from parked vehicles and, 'as if by slick, sick magic' being replaced by a note on the steering wheel. "You don't love him." The town of Shipcott is ill equipped to cope. Not two years previously, a brutal killer killed a number of the residents and was never caught. Now, as the summer burns on, Shipcott starts to feel like a town cursed.

Of all the new crime
Brenda
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With the benefit of reading the previous two books, Blacklands and Darkside, I welcomed their history's impact on this third in the Exmoor trilogy. Individuals "damaged" as children experience life as adults with a bias. They see things through a filter that is not always true or realistic. With Stevie's experiences in the previous books, he believes Jonas to be a murderer. I was unprepared for this, as I liked both Stevie and Jonas. Even as Stevie's beliefs wavered, mine became more sure. I bel ...more
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Bauer does it again , sheer genius. Firstly let me say that if you read her books or plan to, whilst not advertised as a trilogy, it would be best to read her first book Blacklands and then Darkside first, Bauer incorporates characters in this book from the previous two and if you read this one first it would have spoilers for the others.

This book started slower than her others I have read but super glad I hung on because from the halfway mark I could not put it down. Bauer has the knack of inco
Nick Davies
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favourites
It is difficult to exactly pin-point what it is about Belinda Bauer's crime novels that I particularly enjoy, but particularly enjoy this novel I did. If forced to try and describe the appeal, it would be something to do with the accuracy and realism with which she portrays the inner thoughts of her characters, human and real and funny without ever resorting to the trivially repetitive introspection that some authors seem to resort to so often.

This novel, the third of a series but a good stand-
Nigel
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
8/10
Brilliant. A genuine thriller, scary and exciting. At times funny, at times moving, and at all times very readable. Steven Lamb returns, a little older and a little wiser than the 12yo he was in 'Blacklands', and finds himself having to deal with another killer. This rounds out the Exmoor trilogy, the books that made Belinda Bauer's name. I absolutely loved them, and her! Can't wait for her next book
Janette Fleming
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
"No one in their right mind would choose to go on holiday to Exmoor after reading Belinda Bauer. Six children were buried on the moor in her award-winning debut novel, Blacklands. Eight vulnerable victims met their ends in its follow-up, Darkside. But the curse isn't over yet for the residents of Shipcott, the Somerset village where the author sets her thrillers: now their children are being stolen, taken from cars and replaced with a note: "You don't love her", or him, or them."

From one of my n
Lynn
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Riveting conclusion to the Exmoor Trilogy. For whatever reason this third book hasn't been published in the U.S. I read a UK paperback from a college library through inter-library loan. Worth the effort for this thriller.....thank you DCL.
Karen
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent read from Bauer, this is book 3 in the trilogy, I wish had read book 2 first.
It can be read as a stand alone book. I did enjoy the twists, turns and suspense.
Carolyn
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I have recently become a big fan of Belinda Bauer’s highly praised and popular psychological thrillers. I have read Snap (on the long list of 13 novels chosen for the Man Booker award) and the first two books in the Exmoor trilogy.

Finders Keepers is the third book in the Exmoor series and in my opinion the weakest. This is the third time a serial killer has targeted the tiny village. Some of the major characters from the two previous books are featured. Without reading those you miss some of th
Luni
While it said this was a freestanding novel, the amounts of flasbacks to previous novels made it tiresome and I wished I'd started with them.
Speaking of tiresome, the personalities on the two main cops were as flat as the moor they work on. Most of the female characters served merely as background and a base for the guys' development.

After finishing I mainly feel frustrated, I want to learn more of the truth by reading the other books but the endings are already spoiled.
I read it in swedish an
Tanja Berg
May 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Rating 1.4*. Listened to in Swedish. This isn't the worst book I have read this year and it's not terribly written. I just hated it, from start to finish. There are no interesting characters, the perpetrator is revealed somewhere in the middle and the motive for the crimes is tenuous at best.

Children are being abducted. A note is left where they were saying "you don't love them". And that's all I can think about saying in regards to the plot. I've read some decent books by this author, but I'm
Gary
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
The 3rd book in this series by Belinda Bauer. What an excellent series full of really strong characters that come to life through the outstanding narrative. I hope there is more to come from these characters as I have enjoyed these 3 books so much. I plan to read more of her work.
Jane
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed
Oh dear.

I liked Belinda Bauer’s first two books, but this is not good.

Part of that is down to me and my particular tastes in crime fiction – but not all.

Let me explain.

It starts promisingly: children are disappearing from cars and notes are left in their stead.

“You don’t love her.”

“You don’t love him.”

“You don’t love them.”

The drama, the mystery, the evocation of the countryside and the rural community was working very well.

And I was pleased to see the return of Detectives Reynolds and Rice.

I co
Monika
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Detta är alltså tredje boken i serien om den lilla byn på Exmoorheden och det är också den tredje boken jag läser av Belinda Bauer. Jag har tyckt lite olika om de tidigare två, där förra delen inte riktigt övertygade mig. Förväntningarna på denna var alltså ganska låga. Läs mer på min blogg
Jennie Johansson
Thoroughly enjoyed it but realised very quickly that it was the 3rd book and should have read the others first! Will go back to the start...
Hannah Polley
I love a good mystery thriller story and this one is good but it is not quite there. It was really interesting but the reveal of who it is comes earlier than you would expect and it takes the suspense out of it.

I also didn't feel that there was any way you could have guessed the culprit in advance but that may have just been me being slow. I really did not feel that the reason for their crimes was good enough, especially since they did not seem to have a history of criminal behaviour.

In this b
Elaine Tomasso
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I previously read Darkside and that encouraged me to read Finders Keepers. I find Belinda Bauer really draws you in from the beginning and keeps you turning pages until there are none left.
Once you accept the premise of someone stealing multiple children it is all very logical and plausible. The characters are well drawn and as likeable/unlikeable as most people. I think what I'm trying to say is that the very ordinariness of the characters is what makes this book so compelling. That and the eni
Pauline Coulthard
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, I loved this story, so many interesting things going on all at the same time, the mysterious Jonas Holly, funny Davy and Sean, and Stephen and Em, I loved them all while the detectives in charge Reynolds and Rice were insensitive and incompetent, and Kate the so called councillor, well just makes me hope there are not many like them in true life, a great read
Alma
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bauer does it again.
I love this series and the third one does not disappoint.
Although this can be read as a 'stand alone' I recommend you read the first two as they set the scene and characters and not all are as they seem. Most of them have thoughts that are kept under wraps as they realise they could be misconstrued or even make them appear guilty of certain actions that have happened.
I will now be reading the rest of her novels
Jodi Fleming
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Such a great story and a brilliant climax to the three Exmoor books. I looked forward to picking this book up again every time I had to reluctantly put it down.
Gemma
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-vine
I haven't read the previous books by Belinda Bauer, and at times I felt I should have to understand some references to previous books. It was however perfectly fine as a standalone, but after reading Finders Keepers I don't feel a sense of urgency to read the other 2 books Bauer has written.

The story begins when a teenager is terrifyingly snatched from her father's car, with only a post it note left behind on the steering wheel. 'You don't love her.'

However young Jess Took is the first of many c
Katrina Evans
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book irritated me beyond belief but this irritation is aimed squarely at the publisher, not the author. This is the third book in a trilogy but no-where on the jacket is this mentioned and the book does not read well as a stand alone - there are too many references to what has gone before and to things the author believes the reader knows about.

Publishers, seriously, tell me when a book is part of a series no matter how loosely connected and I'll more than likely buy every one, trick me li
Teresa
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
“Finders Keepers” is Belinda Bauer’s third novel and, like its predecessors, it is set in the tiny, picturesque village of Shipcott on Exmoor. It is the height of Summer and tourists usually swarm to this scenic location but children are going missing, stolen from cars and the local police force are out of their depth.

This is a gripping read, not for the faint-hearted, with lots of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. I really enjoyed Belinda Bauer’s debut novel, Blacklands, and she has
Mark
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book as simply an entertaining and well constructed story. It had me hooked and l took every opportunity to pick it up and continue my involvement. I like the range of characters the author has created and the Exmoor setting adds real atmosphere. This story further builds characters introduced in the author's prior books and I suspect that without having read those beforehand, it may have been harder to work out some of the motivations and history the characters brought into this ...more
Jo-Anne
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Finders Keepers is a suspense about children being taken from parked cars and notes are left in their place. These abductions take place in the small village of Exmoor.

There are no explanations, no ransom demands and no hope of getting the children back safely. Policeman Jonas Holly feels he must catch the person taking the children since it is happening in his village. But he is still reeling from the loss of his wife and may not be ready for this task.

I didn't connect with the characters in
Steven Greenstock
Mar 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
I bought this book after reading "the beautiful dead", which I really enjoyed, so decided to look for further novels by the author. This book (not mentioned anywhere as part of a trilogy) was an extreme let down (compared to the reviews) regardless of not reading the initial 2 entries in the series. Far too many characters, most of which don't develop, those who do seem to go from one extreme to the other. It all feels very rushed and the plot is just stupid, I don't mind suspending belief but t ...more
Helen
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This completed the trilogy set on Exmoor featuring Steven Lamb, Jonas Holly and others. It's nice when familiar names crop up again in novels and you can piece together the appearance and dynamics of a small village.

This book starts off with a young girl being taken from a lorry with just a note left behind saying 'you don't love her'. Over a couple of weeks, 5 more children are snatched from parked cars and the local police, with no contact, clues or ransom notes, struggle to progress with the
  • After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)
  • Already Dead (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #13)
  • Sankta Psyko
  • Helvetesilden (Konrad Sejer, #12)
  • The Redeemed (Jenny Cooper, #3)
  • Seeking the Dead (Joe Plantagenet, #1)
  • Burial
  • Dead Scared (Lacey Flint, #2)
  • Choked (Brennan & Esposito, #4)
  • The Nightmare Place
  • Girl 4 (January David #1)
  • Uglen (Holger Munch og Mia Kruger #2)
  • The Woodcutter
  • Strange Bird
  • Dead to Me (Scott & Bailey, #1)
  • Settled Blood (DCI Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Birthdays for the Dead (Ash Henderson, #1)
Belinda Bauer grew up in England and South Africa. She has worked as a journalist and screenwriter, and her script THE LOCKER ROOM earned her the Carl Foreman/Bafta Award for Young British Screenwriters, an award that was presented to her by Sidney Poitier. She was a runner-up in the Rhys Davies Short Story Competition for "Mysterious Ways," about a girl stranded on a desert island with 30,000 Bib ...more

Exmoor Trilogy (3 books)