Start by marking “Silver Angel” as Want to Read:
Silver Angel

Silver Angel

Kidnapped and sold into slavery, Chantelle Burke was led into the Pasha's scented chambers swearing she'd never surrender to this ruthless master. But she was stunned by the magnificently handsome man who awaited her amid the silk and splendor. His piercing emerald eyes held her in their power; his muscular embrace made her weak with desire even as she defied him. She was ...more
Published July 12th 2011 by Avon (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Angel, please sign up.
George Garrigues Unfortunately, Nasma, some people are really "into" disgusting time-wasters, and then they kiss it all off by saying things like "It's fiction. Deal…moreUnfortunately, Nasma, some people are really "into" disgusting time-wasters, and then they kiss it all off by saying things like "It's fiction. Deal with it."

We really shouldn't have to "deal" with crapola; we can just pass it by, or take the time to warn others about the contents, as you have done. I don't blame you for being upset.(less)
Dana Sounds like one of the Skye O'Malley series by Bertrice Small. One of them, I read several. It was very detailed so there was definitely a scene like…moreSounds like one of the Skye O'Malley series by Bertrice Small. One of them, I read several. It was very detailed so there was definitely a scene like that in one of her books. Might be the one you are thinking of.(less)

Maryam
May 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn`t like it at all! Couldnt even finish it...i finally had to put the book down. As a muslim myself i HATED the desrcription of the turks and muslims. As if all muslim men are barbaric and harems are common and bigamy is common. I can go on and on about the misconception...WHAT I HATED THE MOST! THEY USED A VERSE OF THE QURAN TO RELATE TO ISLAM AND WIFE BEATING!!!!!!!Do your reasearch and youll know its wrong! Pissed me off... ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
I love this book. I know it is politically incorrect and everybody form the feminists till the day-to-day [normal] women will have a field day with this one.
I liked the hero :D and his assumption that he could keep the heroine as a mistress and his childhood friend to marry :D He really was so... hopeful[yep, that's the word :))]?

Re-read: July 2014
This is my favourite book to read when I want a harem book :D

Re-read: May 2015
I needed a reread

Reread: 28 January 2017
Re-reading is good for the soul
Aayesha Khatri
I would have given it 2 stars if it wasn't for the girl. She was delightful and I felt like I completely understood why she did what she did. She was entitled to it. And yet, after all she'd been through, her heart was still kind and good and innocent. I loved the way she was portrayed, and how she felt guilty after the assassination attempt at Derek's life when she only tried to help, how she still loved Jamil after all that she thought he'd done and her uninhibited show of love when she finall ...more
Karla
Not a newsflash that I usually dislike Johanna Lindsey books. The heroines in her early stuff are screaming brats or brain-deficient morons, and her heroes are wee little cardboard cutouts that stomp and growl and cross that line that divides grrr-worthy alphas from enraged psycho-babies sitting in their diaper gravy.

But I really liked Silver Angel, for the most part. It started out a lot like many old bodice rippers that have the hero and heroine separate for many pages before they meet up (her
Sabrina Jeffries
One of my Guilty Pleasure books, this one won't appeal to everyone. It just so happens that I have a fondness for sheik books, and this is my favorite, even if the hero is just pretending to be a sheik.
Rhapsody
Jun 16, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: J Lindsay fans
Shelves: fiction, romance
What an awful book. I picked it up figuring that while I never really love any of Lindsay's books, they always at least moderately entertain me. Not the case with this one. I guess I don't like romances that take place in harems, but I was willing to give this one a shot. Chantelle is an heiress but not yet of age, and her greedy guardian is trying to force her to marry a stranger. She tries to flee and is captured by white slavers. Her new master, however, is actually an Englishman temporarily ...more
María Clara
So last year's personal challenge was to "escribir una reseña de todos los libros que me lea para que no se me olviden". And this year I'm gonna challenge myself to write the reviews in the book's language, so here I go. (My English teacher would be so proud of me...)

Aaaand, I really have nothing to say about this book. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I just didn't connect with the main characters. He wasn't even that heroic, and she was just stupid.

I think I just couldn't deal with a
Claudia
I read this one years ago and nearly forgot about it, so it did not make it on my Goodreads pile ... but as I really liked it and now saw Alys review, I just had to rate it because as I said ... I really liked it :)
Christine
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is one of those stories that falls apart if you think about it, so brains off please!

But if you go into the book knowing that, knowing it's about a woman who is sold into a harem and somehow finds love, and if you're in the mood for such a story... go for it!
Heather
Aug 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
modern things in the bk-platinum-blond hair.the last straw.made a big stink.made no bones about it.
i cant stand when there are modern expressions in historical bks.
-im very disappointed to find out that the guy is actually an english earl &not an arab as we've been led to believe.i thought this book would be taking place in the desert.&that the guy would be an arab.cause you never find books like that.
so he's seeing one of the servants.how lovely.
comments like these drive me up the wall.
Judy
Jan 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Twin brothers Derek (Sinclair) and Jamil were separated at age 12. Jamil remained in in his homeland with his enslaved English mother, wife of the Dey of Barikah, while Derek is sent to England by his mother so that her father will have an heir to the Marquessate. Nineteen years pass and someone is intent on assassinating Jamil who is now the Dey and Pasha of a harem of 40+ wives and concubines. Jamil sends a coded message saying: I. Need. You. to Derek who immediately leaves for Barikah and onc ...more
Tutti Dolci
I really enjoyed this one from start to finish (I've discovered that I've a weakness for harem BRs).

However, I do have a bone to pick with it:

After all the attempted assassination drama (which led the protagonists to one another), we come to find out the who/what/why behind it and it was really, really weak. In fact, it was rather eyeroll-worthy, especially with how it was all resolved. I won't go into details (you'll have to read the book, dahlinks), but suffice to say that I'm not a fan of wra
Nasma Hussain
Dec 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god. What do i even say. this book was horrible. It was an insult to my religion and women. For your information i being a muslim have never heard wife beating allowed in our religion. Honest to god i have never seen another religion respect women more than Islam. It physically hurt me and angered me to read this book. I could not even finish it. I usually love Johanna Lindsey books, but never has a book angered me so than this book. let me tell you. First of all, concubines are not even a ...more
Nazia
Feb 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dont-try-it-ever
What an awful book this is.It's just too boring for my taste,infact the story was so awful i felt like a fool reading it.As soon as i completed this book i felt like drowsing into coma or to bang my head against a wall or to scream in frustration.This book has no chemistry no story line nothing,it's just waste of your time and nothing. The hero was the biggest looser i have read before and the heroine was hot headed fool,their chemistry was mediocre and nothing interesting to mention about this ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Chantelle Burke was kidnapped and sold into slavery to a Pasha's harem. She, of course, cannot give in to her desire for her "master". Not a great fan of the harem setting but I liked this one.
a & e
Nov 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: racists and people that fetishize the middle east this book is despicable
I'll write a proper review when I'm not as angry about how Arabs and Muslims and Turks were depicted in this book.
Julie
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book on Ebay in a "lot" of other Historical Romances. I had read two other Johanna Lindsey novels and liked both of them. However, this one sat on my shelf for a good while. I am trying to go all digital, so I'm finally getting some of my older books out to read. I thought Silver Angel would be either a Western or Pirate themed novel that Johanna Lindsey is famous for. I have never read a romance novel about Harems etc. Copyrighted in 1988, I knew this was a popular theme during ...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This one of Johanna Lindsey’s best outside the Malory saga. Chantelle Burke is a head-strong, beautiful woman. Her father has died leaving her guardian, a wastrel, trying to take her money by forcing her hand in marriage. She is fleeing to go back to her aunt, and she is kidnapped on the shore of England. She tries to escape and is recaptured and finds herself on a Turkish ship bound for sale. She is horrified at the prospect of being sold as a slave for someone’s harem. She is horrified at Jami ...more
KC

I thought this was entertaining. The storyline was light, yet interesting. Chantelle and Derek had really good chemistry, and the banter between them made me smile. I liked Chantelle's spirit and sarcastic sense of humor. Derek was a likable, sexy hero. He's a bit of a philanderer at the start of the book, but once he meets Chantelle he has eyes only for her.

The major downside to this story is that the two don't actually meet and, therefore, the romance doesn't begin until almost halfw
Indah Threez Lestari
Just like other Lindsey's books... with a drop dead georgeous hero and a beautiful heroine. A cheesy, simple storyline, but who cares? That's not what I'm looking for in romance novel.

What I didn't like is harem description in Turki's world. As if it's a custom in Muslim's world. Heck, no! It's a country tradition, not related to religion. And yes, it's just privileged to the riches, who can buy as many slaves as he want.

Anyhow, I like Defy Not The Heart better than this novel.
Loren
Aug 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance-georgian
I detested the so-called hero in this too much to give this anything other than one star. Perhaps that's unfair since this book was written in 1988 and different tropes were popular then, but this was as close to a DNF book as I've encountered lately.
Rachel
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barikah, Barbary Coast and then England 1796

The hero Derek/Kasim is 29 and the heroine Chantelle/Shahar is 19. This story was wonderful, I loved it!! The end was a bit rushed, but I still loved it anyhow. There is just something about those kidnapped and put in a harem books I love!

(view spoiler)
Kerry
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've never been able to remember what my first romance novel was. To be honest, I still don't, but I was listening to a podcast today where someone said they had started with Johanna Lindsey and I realised this may well have been mine. It's certainly one of the few I particularly remember where I found it (in a relative's book collection when I was staying with them) and when I read it. So I was tempted to reread it. The fact it was cheap on Kindle convinced me and so here goes. I wonder what I' ...more
Jilly
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I've read anything by Johanna Lindsey. My first attempt at her romances was A Pirate's Love which I wasn't partial to. Upon the recommendation of authors, Kresley Cole and Gena Showalter (reading The Darkest Facts about Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series) I decided to give this book and several others a chance.

I was pleasantly surprised even though I still feel like Chantalle was tricked into sleeping with Derek in this book. Still there was something w
x0unerthanlater

In a new setting, somewhere out and away from the ballrooms of London, you arrive to Barikah as a... slave. At least that's what happened to our heroine, Chantelle Burke. An Englishwoman caught on the coast of her home by Turkish Pirates! No time to protest she was brought onto the ship and taken away immediately... The one who comes to her "rescue" is none other than the mighty Pasha.

Keep in mind this was set in Barikah, The Barbary Coast 1796. As you read there will be lots of things that you
Tirza Horvath
I don't know what is wrong with me, but I'm sure I started to have bad luck with books, I just keep picking terrible books after I read an amazing book, and this one was sure one that I disliked!! I love Johanna Lindsey, her books are amazing, so it was a shock to read one that was the exact opposite!!! I really didn't like it, at all!! I mean, there were so many issues for me in this book. For one, I hate slavery, no matter their type, so it was really disturbing!! However, that was something I ...more
Bettye McKee
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Chantelle Burke is being forced to marry an extremely unsuitable suitor. Locked in her room, she escapes through a window and makes her way to the caves on the beach at night. Unfortunately she interrupts smugglers who take her with them. Then she is captured by Barbary pirates and sold in slavery to the Pasha for his harem.

Don't stop there. The rest of the book is exciting and fascinating, but I won't spoil it for you. Just read it.
Sometime
Dec 08, 2018 marked it as nope-not-for-me
I know this one is Old Skool, but yikes! It was written in 1988 but I can't imagine liking this in any decade. Nope.

JennyG
It took too long for the hero and heroine to meet for the first time and then the ending was rushed. It is a pity because the book has real potential. This is the kind of book where you ask yourself "Is this it? Where is the rest of the book?".
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What's the Name o...: Identical twin brothers, one is a sheikh [s] 7 64 Apr 20, 2013 10:55AM

• Valentina
  • The Kadin
  • Devil's Daughter (Devil, #2)
  • The Panther and the Pearl
  • While Passion Sleeps (Louisiana #8)
  • Wicked Loving Lies (Brandon-Morgan #6)
  • Tempt the Devil
  • The Golden Barbarian (Sedikhan, #1)
  • Enslaved
  • Desert Eden (Devereaux Family #3)
  • Splendor
  • Wild Bells to the Wild Sky
  • Savage Surrender
  • So Worthy My Love
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom