Start by marking “Odin's Wolves” as Want to Read:
Odin's Wolves

Odin's Wolves

(Raven #3)

We lusted for an even greater prize: one that can never be lost or stolen or burnt...

Raven and his fellow Vikings have suffered. Good men have died. Hard-won treasure has been lost. But for these Norsemen, there is something more precious than gold or silver, and that is fame - for this is what a warrior leaves behind when he has breathed his last.

And so the brotherhood
Published January 19th 2012 by Corgi (first published April 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Odin's Wolves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odin's Wolves

Start your review of Odin's Wolves
Edward
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, favorites
RTC. AWESOME.

FULL REVIEW - STILL AWESOME.

Odin’s Wolves is superb and Giles Kristian has crafted one of the best historical fiction trilogies of … well, ever. I know I rave about them, but it is totally warranted. I adore the world that Osric Blood Eye is a part of. Even though it is grim and gritty and terrifying, there is something about the band of warriors sailing the seas that gives me a warm feeling, and finishing this book left me feeling like I was desperate for more.

‘The blade gets dull
Paul
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I just finished the final book of the Raven trilogy. I found myself staring at the book, unable to believe it's over.
It's been a while since a story has sucked me in like this one. Fantastically written! If these books are on your TBR list, move them up -- NOW!!
Giles Kristian took me into this world in a visceral way. Didn't overdo the world-building; yet, I could see it vividly. Didn't drone on-and-on about the characters; yet, I knew them intimately. Didn't gratuitously describe the
Paul O'Neill
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a series! Fantastic! Spell binding and tonnes of fun.
Terri
I have said it before and I will say it again. I truly do love these kinds of Viking historical fiction. They are books that mingle the sagas with excellent penmanship and colourful adventure. I could read them every week for the rest of the year and be every bit the contented reader.
My journey with this series has not been without its own twists and turns and literary adventures. From the hiccup that was my first attempt with the series a couple years back, to the rediscovering of the series in
Reggie Kray
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an incredible journey this series has been. Both refulgent and mesmerizing! Highly recommended!
Mr. Matt
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, hf-vikings
Odin's Wolves continues the story of Raven, Sigurd, Cynethryth, and the rest of the Fellowship. It really begins right where the second book in the series ends - the silver stolen from Charlemagne is lost and the company is at a pivotal moment. Do they return to Norway and Denmark and admit failure, or do they follow the Whale Road and seek new adventures. (It's the beginning of the book so it is no surprise when they decide to seek new adventures. But that is okay.)

The story of the Fellowship
S.J.A. Turney
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So now I have come to the end of the Raven saga and it leaves me feeling a little sad. Perhaps some time, after his new series has been fully aired, Giles might return and write another Raven story. I hope so.

Each of the Raven books has followed beautifully from its previous bedfellow and has progressed the general tale and the growth of Raven himself, but also each of the books has a very individual character and addresses different themes, issues and emotions.

Odin's Wolves opens with the
Beorn
May 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
After, for the most part, thoroughly enjoying the previous book in this series I had relatively high hopes for this book.
Sadly those hopes were pretty swiftly dashed.

For a book telling the tale of a band of roaming warriors of some reknown relatively little happens for such long periods that the prevailing effect is of generally being underwhelmed at almost all times.
Hardly anything happens for most of the first three hundred pages and when it does, it's quickly over and replaced by tiresome
mixal
Now this was a Book! I have to say that I liked the earlier books in the series, but there still was something that did not exactly fit. But this book had everything that my heart desires, and the whole time I was really apprehensive seeing how I have less and less to read. One of the best books I read this year.
Amanda Rahimian
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!! What an amazing trilogy! If this is on your to-read list, move it up immediately. Giles Kristian is a truly amazing author, providing intimate details so you feel like you know the characters and are right there with them without overwhelming you with the mundane.
James Cox
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series ends with a bang. I'm so glad I was along for the ride!
Slavko Recek
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An epic Norse saga. Full of good fighting, Loki tricks
and rough men humor.
Paul Bennett
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Come and join Sigurd, Raven and the rest on the Sword-Norse cruise line as they journey to new lands and exciting adventures. Go a viking and see the world.

And what a journey it is! At the end of book two, Sons of Thunder, Sigurd and his flotilla of four ships have escaped the wrath of the Franks and Karolus. They head southwest skirting the coast of northern Frankia, around the Iberian Peninsula, with a short stop for a raid, and into the Mediterranean. One more profitable raid, a layover for
Meena
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The third and final book of the Raven trilogy - done. And what a book it was! Did not bore me one bit. Where every chapter ended, a new adventure began in the following chapter (except when you reach the final chapter, obviously). It was a fantastic book, and a breathtakingly fast-paced one! I had to force myself to put it down a few times so I can gather my thoughts and allow some space for me to breathe.
Everything I like about a story in one, 500-paged book: vikings, blood, loss, friendship,
Ben Kane
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is top notch Viking adventure!

I'm always on the lookout for exciting new historical fiction about soldiers or warriors, and was therefore very excited about two years ago to see Giles Kristian's name appear on an Amazon recommended read list. I read his first two books in the summer of 2010 in about three days. To be honest, I tore through them! I was very pleased therefore, to be able last spring to buy Odin's Wolves. It takes up the story of Raven Blood Eye where it left off in Sons of
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vikings...A period that just screams to me to read it, if Rome is blood and sandals, then Vikings is Sea , Sword and sudden violence.
My exposure to Viking historical fiction has been limited so far, but I'm trying to catch up, I thought Robert Low had managed to reach the pinnacle of the sub genre with the oathsworn, and then out comes the raven series to take it one step further.
The writing has true power and pace, but what also come over is a true love of the subject and the characters that
Kelly
HUzzah! Finished my last series book of the year, just in time. This third book in the series was pretty good for an ending. Raven and his oath-brothers travel across the sea, seeking treasure and fame. Raven has grown from a boy to a man, killing many and finding his place amongst the brotherhood. Vikings are such an interesting lot, my favourite part is the swearing. Quite the vocabulary! I thought I would like the series much more but it is too warlike for me.
Matthew Harffy
Took me a long time to get through this, despite having ripped through books one and two very quickly. There were bits that were very good, but it didn't speed along as it should have. Some great writing in a genre I love, but for some reason, I never really latched onto the story. Maybe it was the wrong time for me, or perhaps the plot was not that strong, but for whatever reason, I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous books.
Laurie Pringle
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this series. I'm not one for wordy reviews. I will simply say that I felt like part of the Sigurd and Raven's family... travelling to marvelous places, fighting for survival and riches.

I hope there will be more about Raven... I want to know where he came from!

Thanks for the wonderful read Giles. I'm looking forward to reading Sigurd's story! (but I do hope we return to Raven again someday too)
Peter Greenhalgh
Rampaging, stinking, bloodthirsty vikings are not, I'm sure, everyone's cup of mead. But, Giles Kristian is such a brilliant writer that everyone who loves superbly tailored fiction should give his books a read. My 5-star rating for the last book in the Raven series was never in doubt.
Richard West
This is the capper to Kristian's epic Viking saga, and it doesn't disappoint. If you've followed the Viking brotherhood through their numerous adventures in the first two volumes, you have to wonder what lies next.

Heading into the Mediterranean, the valiant Norsemen first stop off in Rome which is no longer what it used to be, but for lack of a better term, has become a hell-hole and cesspool with no riches to be plundered.

Constantinople - or as they call it - Miklagard beckons. By now, they've
Bruno
This is it.An end of a journey and the original trilogy.The main question is:Is this a satisfying conclusion of a story we were reading and living through the first two books and continued in this third entry?For me,personally,satisfaction is the least I could describe it in a single word.It ends with a bang and I'm glad I was able to stay myself off from those synopsis of a book and gave myself into this exciting world,without knowing what to expect.In the last review,I mentioned that the first ...more
Dean
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When is Raven #4 coming out?? Another great adventure with Raven and the Sea Wolves...You know Anything of Giles Kristian is going to be a great read and Odin's Wolves is no different. You get to go along with the Sea Wolves as they sail, live and fight there way along the shoreline of Spain, Frankia, Italy, Adriatic Sea, Hellspont to Constantinople. Along the way they make stops in Moor Spain then to Rome and finally to Constantinople, however there are many events in between there stops. Cant ...more
Hollie
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the series but I was left wanting for an ending! I could see if the series continues that it was left well, but I assume this is it. A couple of top-offs were needed (tho I won’t reveal spoilers) that left a sour taste. A true wrap-up of at least one MAJOR story line is missing...those who have read the series must surely know the missing link I speak of.
Rest assured, I enjoyed the series and will read all of the prequels.
PickinDavis
Unfortunately a bit of a let down over Giles' other books particularly for a conclusion. Still a decent read but not anywhere near the level of The Rise of Sigurd series, which I truly hope is not Giles' magnum opus.

The first half of this one is good. The second half not so much as Giles is more concerned about the vikings visiting different places for no particular reason than he is about a good character driven story.

Still the dialog is good and these are the best viking tales available.
Martin Nunn
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Praise for Raven, the series

Amazing! Such a great read, flowing easily through the life of Raven and the adventures of the Wolf pack. History reaches out to the reader, sewn together into this great saga. 5 stars is not enough! Now I hope for more of Raven's adventures, I'll be one of the first in the shield wall!
Tim Wilson
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: viking
A great end to a brilliant trilogy. Each book had a different setting which I think was one of it's greatest strengths; first England, then Frankia now the Mediterranean. The Raven saga is also one those few series which had a compelling cast of supporting characters that I actually found attachment to(Floki, Penda, Egfrith etc). Now I'll need to read the Sigurd trilogy.
Tim Bolitho-jones
It's a decent Viking saga full of bloodletting, tragedy and heroism. But on the downside it felt more like a collection of short stories than single focused tale and at times I got the impression it was made up on the fly. Not bad, but the first Raven book is superior and it's not in the same league as the author's excellent - but unfinished - English civil war series.
Michael Heath-Caldwell
Rather a good rollicking yarn as a bunch of vikings and goths go on the Ground Tour of Europe in the 7th century causing a lot of break and spillage along the way as they skirt the Umayyad Caliphate of Spain, visit old Rome when still in a functioning mode and move on for adventures in Constantinople.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Whale Road (Oathsworn, #1)
  • The Serpent Sword (Bernicia Chronicles #1)
  • The Wolf Sea (Oathsworn, #2)
  • The Cross and the Curse (Bernicia Chronicles, #2)
  • The Prow Beast (Oathsworn, #4)
  • The White Raven (Oathsworn, #3)
  • War of the Wolf (The Saxon Stories, #11)
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Killer of Kings (Bernicia Chronicles #4)
  • Warrior of Woden (The Bernicia Chronicles)
  • Crowbone (Oathsworn #5)
  • Storm of Steel (The Bernicia Chronicles)
  • Bloodaxe (Erik Haraldsson #1)
  • Lord Edward's Archer
  • The Blooding (Master of War, #1)
  • The Lords of the Wind  (The Saga of Hasting the Avenger, #1)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • Blood and Blade (Bernicia Chronicles #3)
Family history (he is half Norwegian) inspired GILES KRISTIAN to write his first historical novels: the acclaimed and bestselling Raven Viking trilogy – Blood Eye, Sons of Thunder and Odin's Wolves. For his next series, he drew on a long-held fascination with the English Civil War to chart the fortunes of a family divided by that brutal conflict in The Bleeding Land and Brothers’ Fury. Giles also ...more

Raven (3 books)
  • Blood Eye (Raven #1)
  • Sons of Thunder (Raven #2)
“The dark warrior jumped high into the air, his knees almost striking his chest, then landed in a crouch and leapt back up spinning around, his sword slicing the air. And I wondered how it was possible for him to move like that in mail...

Beynor just stood there, rooted to the ground like an ash. "Heimdall's hairy ballsack," he said, "he's a giant flea!”
1 likes
“a traitor doesn't know to think deep,although he's,in some way,quite cunning” 0 likes