Start by marking “The Year Everything Changed: A Novel” as Want to Read:

The Year Everything Changed: A Novel

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  788 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
“Bockoven is magic.”
—Catherine Coulter

Four sisters who never knew their father—or each other—come together around his deathbed and learn what it means to be a family in The Year Everything Changed , a magnificent novel brimming with heart and feeling from author Georgia Bockoven. The bestselling, award-winning writer who enthralled readers with The Beach House and Another
Published August 23rd 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Year Everything Changed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year Everything Changed

Michelle
The Year Everything Changed is an immensely readable, albeit predictable, story about family and love. Four women are thrown together at the behest of their biological father. Two never knew him; two were seemingly abandoned by him at young ages. All must adjust their expectations and opinions of him in order to seek closure, if closure is what they seek. No matter what their relationship to their biological father, all must adjust to the fact that they each have three "new" sisters.

There is not
Shaheena
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this entire book last night. Something about it made me keep reading and although I agree some of it was predictable, it was written in a way that I just could not put it down and had some true surprises in it.

It seems every book I read lately is written in the manner of a prologue, epilogue and chapters from different people. This usually annoys me but something about the author's writing kept me very engaged. This must be a current trend in novels and although it has it's benefits, I'd
Gaby
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed The Year Everything Changed. It's a story about sisters who didn't know their father or that they even had sisters. The four sisters have very little in common. Their mothers, upbringing, and opportunities were vastly different. Each is sympathetic in their own way. Although I was particularly fond of Ginger - the beautiful girl who didn't know that she'd been adopted. The anger, resentment, hopefulness and friendship that develops among the sisters makes the story an absorbi ...more
Ami
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculously cliche and trite, this book had my teeth on edge for half of the novel. The second half of the novel I spent recovering from whiplash as the author put us (and her characters) through a frantic and hurried pace. And yet, I felt compelled to finish the story, to know for sure how it would all end. (As if there were any doubts.)
I realize that the author's intent was to have a character that the audience believed to be beyond redemption and yet somehow redeem the fellow. However, in do
Sharon
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to read while relaxing on the deck on a beautiful day - rather predictable, but an easy, decent read.
Alline
Nov 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still kicking myself for wasting my time and finishing this book. However, I wanted to know if the ending was just as trite and predictable and STUPID as the rest of the book. The answer: yes. Very "romance"-y, with an incredibly unrealistic, fairy tale ending. Not recommended unless there are no other books available for you to read and you are very, very desperate.
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ill
Meh.
Carolyn
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this tale of 4 sisters finding each other and bonding once they found out they were, in fact sisters.
April
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
A story of four women, four complete strangers, and the link that ties them all together: an estranged father. A father, in some cases, that wasn't known to exist until the presence of a mysterious letter sent by an attorney in Sacramento. The letter claimed the man to be their father, claimed he wanted to see them before he passed, claimed he was dying.

Jessie Reed admitted he made mistakes and wanted to do all he could to correct them before it was too late.

Elizabeth, Ginger, Rachel and Christi
(Lonestarlibrarian) Keddy Ann Outlaw
I've read so many of these books where sisters bond after a parent's death that perhaps I've grown a little jaded. In this case, the four sisters only learned each other existed shortly before their millionaire father, Jesse. dies. Most of them felt abandoned by their father and have hostile mindsets towards both him and their new half-sisters. Lucy, Jesse's lawyer, has always felt an unrequited love for the man. And so she makes a deal with him to record the story of his life to share with his ...more
Tammy
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Burke
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powered right through this book. It is about 4 women with the same father. The catch is that each never knew the others existed. When the father finds out he is dying, he makes a last ditch effort to try and set the record straight on why he left each of them and didn't try to see them again, and, ask forgiveness. The premise is a bit unbelievable, but still compelling and I found myself picking up the book every chance I had. You will alternately root for the dad, either or all of the women, ha ...more
Cindy
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book I was not sure of what the story was about. I had read the blurb on it and had read another book Georgia Bockoven. I started the book and once I got in could not put it down and did not believe the twists and turns. the story starts out about 4 women and their lives and how the come to meet and then become fast friends. I do not want togive the plot away, so I will say read the book and you will enjoy a book about friendships and what new friends can do for each other.
Janet Friesner
I think this was a reread. It seemed very familiar but it was extremely good and I enjoyed reading it even if it were the second time. Story of a man who had 4 daughters by different mothers through the years and none knew they had a sister until he was dying and called them all together. They all hated him because they had been abandoned by their father and one had been adopted and did not know it til she received the letter from the lawyer. After he died they were gathered together to hear the ...more
Toni
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Read Michelle's review- it says everything I am thinking and says it better .
The book is predictable and I never seem to connect with the characters. They never become real for me.At times, they seem too contrived, as if they were created just to make the plot work and therefore did not evolve as some characters do. I like to feel that the characters are "living" the story as I share it with them. Saying all that, I had to finish it. That being said 24 hours after finishing it ,I could not reme
Alicia
It was okay. A little predictable toward the end. I enjoyed getting to know the four sisters and hearing the story. I couldn't put the book down for the first half but after the one of the sister's "plot/story lines" I almost wanted to just put it down and guess what happened. Christina's story felt a little fake and Rachel and Elizabeth's was incredibly predictable ( almost). Overall an enjoyable read.
Mary Anne
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like this book about four sisters who had never met each other or even knew each other existed. They are pulled together by the terms of their father's will. It is interesting to see how their relationships grow and develop over the course of the book. It was also fascinating to see how their opinions of their father change. The book was very readable and a fairly quick read. Nothing real deep or thought provoking - just a good story.
Amy
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. If you enjoy Elin Hildebrand or Kristen Hannah, you're apt to like this, too. The characters are fleshed out nicely and rang true to me. The plot device was interesting and while predictable at times, the author managed to keep me invested in the sisters and their journey. Probably not going to change your life- but it will definitely make for enjoyable reading for a few days.
Kristine
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four grown women find out that they are all daughters of a rich, dying man. They never knew they had sisters and grew up barely knowing about their dad. The will asks that the daughters meet 6 times to listen to tapes recorded by their father right before he died. They will not inherit any money unless they meet together to listen to the tapes. The story has a very nice ending.
Sally Goodwin
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The character development was very slow. I had to get nearly half way before I connected. Once that happened, I enjoyed the story of the 4 sisters who didn't know they had sisters until their father died and brought them together. It was interesting how the family that wasn't became whole. Don't give up on it. The end is worth hanging in there for.
Becky
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book, predictable at times. A good book for the beach. I did like to see that all the sisters really did have a lot in common. It also makes you look at the fact there when only one parent is involved in the rearing of their child....there is really only one story about their lives to the child.
Marcelle
Easy read. Father about to die looks up 4 daughters. Each one didn't even know she had any sisters. Sounds trite but I liked how the sisters at first resisted the idea of having sisters and then learned how wonderful it can be. I also enjoyed how each daughter had feelings for her father that were changed by what they learned. Chick book.
Dimpleswk
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Georgia Bockoven writes a compelling story about family. The book is hard to put down because the characters become a part of the reader. I was a mix of each of the daughters and wanted more. I was sad when I finished reading the book. Bockoven does a good job developing each of the personalities and portraying that one perception is not always the whole story. Very good read!
Karen Cino
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful written book that captured my attention from page 1. The story of the four sisters all were different but they all led back to each other. Gloria Bockoven has written some of the best women's fiction I have read in a very long time.
Ann Liford boehnke
A dying man with a past, four women all unknown to each other, each growing up believing an untruth about who they are, a lawyer who wants to give her client his last wish makes for a manipulative but interesting story.
Karen
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four half sisters (unknown to each other) are drawn together by father's will and promise of inheritance. Along the way, they figure out answers to their life circumstances. Although I enjoyed the book, I felt it too long and at times unable to keep all the characters straight.
Rosemary Gamburg
Great story! Loved the way the author has woven the stories of each of the characters together and each relationship among the sisters was transformed through the knowledge gained about Jesse and his various relationships with them and their mothers. Great read!
Robin Bailey
An interesting story that introduces four half-sisters to each other who didn't know the others existed. Warning: it wraps up nicely in the end...! A good intertwining between all the women, their lives and their dad's story.
Natalie
I would have given 4 stars as the premise and beginning of the novel were promising but there were some massive changes of heart with minimal explanation or reasoning. I liked the characters and there were some warm parts that made me smile or cry. Two racy scenes but not horrible. :-)
Ellen
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an easy read with interesting characters, fleshed out so as to be realistic. I think it would be a good book for a book group. The situation is believable, leading to many "what if this happened to you?" discussions.
  • Winter Bloom
  • Keeping Time
  • Here, Home, Hope
  • The Art of Saying Goodbye
  • Good-bye and Amen
  • More Things In Heaven and Earth (Watervalley, #1)
  • The Secret of Lies
  • Little Gale Gumbo
  • The Life You've Imagined
  • Lost on Brier Island
  • Three Moons Over Sedona
Georgia was a Army child, who after a successful career as a freelance photo journalist before she turned to fiction writing. Published since 1983, she is an award-winning author whose books have sold more than four million copies worldwide. Her romance novel, A Marriage of Convenience, became a CBS movie in October of 1998 starring Jane Seymour and James Brolin.

Married wich John Bockoven, she is
More about Georgia Bockoven...
“from her soul. “Jeff?” She touched his face. “Jeff? Goddamn it, Jeff—don’t you dare die on me.” He squeezed her hand. Blood trickled from his ear and nose. “Go. . . .” He was going to die. She knew it the same way she knew she’d never been destined for true happiness. She was tainted, one of life’s misfits, not deserving, unworthy. There was a dark corner of her mind that reminded her of these things, a voice that warned her and kept her from being surprised when something bad happened. She was the dog raised alone on a chain in a backyard with a clear view of the dog next door, the one that had never known a boot in the ribs or a night in the rain. “All right. I’m going.” She reached for the handle; the door was jammed. She climbed through the window and dropped to the sand. She caught her breath as pain shot through her body. Everything hurt, her head, her lungs, her knees, even her breast where the seat belt had lain across her chest.” 1 likes