Start by marking “Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media” as Want to Read:
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media

Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  11,470 Ratings  ·  370 Reviews
We normally think that the press are cantankerous, obstinate, and ubiquitous in its search for truth. In Manufacturing Consent Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky show how an underlying elite consensus largely structures all facets of the news. Far from challenging established power, the media work hard to discover and mirror its assumptions. The authors skilfully dissect the w ...more
Published (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Manufacturing Consent, please sign up.

Joe Defiant It's a structured book written by both Chomsky and Edward Herman. Lots of references/sources based on examples throughout history where two similar…moreIt's a structured book written by both Chomsky and Edward Herman. Lots of references/sources based on examples throughout history where two similar events happened at about the same time, one the US supported, the other the US denounced. It shows how US supported atrocities get almost 0 coverage and "official enemy" atrocities get endless coverage with detailed examples of both. It also details how there is basically goal posts in media coverage and anything between them is covered but anything to the right or left is not, not by some secret cabal meeting behind closed doors, simply by corporate media acting like a corporation.

There is a documentary widely available for viewing online that you could watch to get an idea of what the book is about that has the same title. The book is much more detailed obviously.(less)

Nandakishore Varma
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
I passed up a chance to buy this book some twenty years ago, and have not been able to locate a copy since. It's a shame, because Chomsky talks about how the so-called "free" press is anything but free: they are bent on fabricating news to manufacture consent among the populace to further their corporate agenda. Chomsky describes how this has been done from the Vietnam war to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

This is all the more relevant, as I am physically now witnessing such an exercise. A cor
Michael Finocchiaro
On the even more intellectual edge of the left, Noam Chomsky has relentlessly fought against the blindness of American foreign policy and how the press manipulates public opinion to endorse and encourage catastrophes such as the Vietnam War (and more recently, the disaster of the two Iraq Wars, the War in Afghanistan, etc.) This book explains how the press (even when it takes a slightly more critical view of events), is still at heart manipulating the truth in service of power. The most recent e ...more
Aaron
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media
I've been a journalist for 15 years now, and I've often wondered how it is that the mass media in the United States manage to project the image of being defenders of democracy while actually deterring it.

Having just read "Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media," by Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman, I finally understand as thoroughly as I've always wanted to.

Where to begin ... for starters, have you ever heard of worthy and unworthy victims?

Did you know that the press was fa
Walter
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every citizen of an industrial democracy
This was one of the books that had a great impact on my life. It's an amazing and comprehensive exploration of the origin, development and operation of the modern media. The authors come at this material from the standpoint that the media functions primarily as a powerful tool for social control. The world view presented in the media is essentially that of the ruling classes and the rest of us plebes are locked out of it all. We are passive consumers of the bullshit being fed to us by large corp ...more
Matthias
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Politicians are like hookers. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're fucking them.

In summary the propaganda model works like this: Bullshit politician with biased information is seen as an expert. Expert gives bullshit to news organization to inform the public. News organization repeats bullshit with cute voices and opinions. We all become stupid, except Chomsky. He writes this book. You read it. Become depressed and kill yourself.

I don't think I can do a serious r
Jeff Menter
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you can slog through it (not that it's written poorly, it's just that the subjects that are covered have, to most people, the intrinsic appeal of lint analysis) you will be rewarded with a new way to look at the mass media and a new framework with which you can apply your own critical analysis.

Congratulations.
Travis
Smart people wrote this book. I don't say that because it was hard to understand at times (and it was), because that stemmed just from being verbose. I say it took smart people because the amount of data gathered and the analysis to tie to together was quite astounding.

The summary of the book is as follows: The US-media is a controlled information relay system (propaganda). The authors set forth a "propaganda model" that they see being employed in our media for decades. It isn't done in a secret
Emma Sea
A very thorough, comprehensive account of how "media serve, and propagandize on behalf of, the powerful societal interests that control and finance them."

The weak point of the book is that the examples discussed are so old (Laos, Cambodia, Nicaragua, etc) that I doubt the book will be accessible to Gen Y or younger. The 2002 edition I read has a new introduction with more recent discussions, but I think the book needs a complete new edition.

Although it's from a pre-internet world it is even mor
Paul DeBusschere
In Manufacturing Consent, Herman and Chomsky present an outdated and flawed thesis asserting government and corporate control over mass media to promote a right-wing agenda, yet still makes some valid points regarding propaganda in the media. By cherry-picking a handful of egregious media missteps related to foreign policy, the authors hope to convince readers of the media's complicity in pushing a right-wing corporate/government agenda to deceive the American public.

One problem with all this st
Glesnertod
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: journalstic
I first added this to my 'books to read' list after watching the movie, "Good Will Hunting". I was not disappointed. This book is one of the best, if not the the most well written book I've read. I don't mean to say that the information was so life-altering that I will never be the same. But first and simply, that their sentence structure and flow of thought is clear, engaging and pieced together masterfully. They sift through a lot of information, wading through fact and fabrication that they s ...more
stainless steel pipe fittings manufacturers in india 1 4 Oct 09, 2017 03:40AM
  • Rich Media, Poor Democracy: Communication Politics in Dubious Times
  • Declarations of Independence: Cross-Examining American Ideology
  • Killing Hope: U.S. Military and C.I.A. Interventions Since World War II
  • Post-Scarcity Anarchism
  • Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism
  • Hidden Agendas
  • The Best Democracy Money Can Buy
  • Against Empire
  • The Culture of Make Believe
  • Weapons of Mass Deception: The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War on Iraq
  • Fences and Windows: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H
More about Noam Chomsky...
“Education is a system of imposed ignorance.” 491 likes
“The mass media serve as a system for communicating messages and symbols to the general populace. It is their function to amuse, entertain, and inform, and to inculcate individuals with the values, beliefs, and codes of behavior that will integrate them into the institutional structures of the larger society. In a world of concentrated wealth and major conflicts of class interest, to fulfil this role requires systematic propaganda.” 23 likes