Start by marking “Girls In Love” as Want to Read:
Girls In Love

Jacqueline Wilson

Girls In Love (Girls #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  12,947 Ratings  ·  233 Reviews
Magda is tall and glamorous, Nadine is willowy and 'gothic' and Ellie, well, Ellie is just plain normal. The three girls have been best friends 'forever' even though they don't seem to have much in common. But one thing they all want is a boyfriend!
The concerns of Year 9 girls are portrayed with sympathy and humour in a story that goes right to the heart of teenage life.
Published November 5th 1998 by Corgi Childrens (first published 1997)

F
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, 2016
I liked this series when i was younger. Was nice to read again.
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
I'm really surprised by how relevant all the issues discussed in this book are! Turns out the teenage girl experience hasn't changed much in 20 years!
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

Yuck yuck yuck. Puke puke puke.

Full review to follow.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Christine Blachford
I’ve always had a soft spot for Jacqueline Wilson, even though I am far too old to be reading things like this now. I picked this up as part of my reading list challenge, and having vaguely recalled a kids TV show that was made out of this source material, I was intrigued at how the story would go.

The thing about Jacqueline Wilson is that she gets right inside kids heads, and even though I am not a kid anymore, I could remember the feelings she was describing as if they were yesterday. Maybe I a
Emily May
Aww, what a sweet book of innocence and shattered innocence. Of love and heartbreak. I felt a connection with each of the characters in this book and it was possibly one of the most important books of my early teens. If you are between 11 and 15/16 then you should read this book. A very cute read!
Cat
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
At the start this book suspiciouly reminded me of the Confessions of Gee Nicholson, but then I found out it was published before that series...
It was very different though. No snog-a-thons or Dave-the-laughs, but it did hold a different quality, a more emotional, real life one.
It is about 13 year old Ellie. Bushy haired, glasses wearing plump Ellie and the fixes she gets herslef into, one with dorky Dan...
I remember watching the TV version of it when I was about 9, and thinking 'I'm going to r
Janelle Dazzlepants
The book was very cute, and all the girls were relatable although I have to admit that Magda got on my nerves. Elly is adorably self-deprecating without it being annoying and just begging for reassurance, and Nadine may look like the token goth chick, but she's put in situations that young girls can definitely relate to. It's a mess of hormones, self-confidence issues, girltalk and sex without being tacky or scandalous or too sexed up.

The tv series adaptation is also really great =D
Fire Moon Reads
this is a really cute and fun book that loved when i was younger . still loved it today .
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
After challenging myself to revisit the books I loved as a child and young teenager - and then review them from memory - where better to begin than at Jacqueline Wilson? I loved the 'Girls' series, I think I must have read Girls In Love a dozen times over the years.

As told by Ellie, an artistic pre-teen, I instantly warmed to her. Her insecurities are typical of a girl of her age. How Wilson manages to so expertly define the thoughts of a young girl throughout the generations is nothing short o
Dany
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
leggendolo ero addirittura quasi tentata di dargli 3 stelline ma poi il finale mi ha spiazzato e deluso più del resto del libro e ciao ciao. Okay, forse è perchè non ho l'età ma la storia era carina: Ellie perde la mamma, ha due migliori amiche, una matrigna e desidera un fidanzato, come tutte le adolescenti. E vive la vita che vivono tutte le adolescenti. E' bello quando nei libri per adolescenti viene sottolineata l'importanza dell'amicizia ma questo libro mi ha delusa un sacco.
Faduma Mohamud
Guttegærne jenter formet meg!!!! Aaah min barndom
Connie
Source: I own this book.
Cost: Unknown

Title: Girls in Love
Series: Girls #1
Author: Jacqueline Wilson
Overall Review: 3 stars

You're all probably thinking, Connie? Why are you reading books for kids?

Well because I want to read as many books as possible to keep me awake and they're all on my shelves so I might as well.

Ellie is going into Year 9, that's Year 10 for the Northern Irish amongst us and Freshman Year for the Americans. She's fourteen and when I first read these books at 7, that w
Kate
Oct 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls ;)
Shelves: myfavorites
Three rambuncious girls named Magda, Ella and Nadine have about one thing in common, they are all totally boy crazy! Ella always puts herself down just because she is a little bit paranoid of her weight and face shape. Another problem is, her friend's are boy MAGNETS! Everywhere they go, boys just have to stop and look at them! The only boy that really loves Ella is Eggs, her annoying little brother. But of course there is dan. A silly little 12 year old named Dan that is madly in love with Ell ...more
Lauren Hudson
Nov 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I rated a book I had read in Secondary school and was given this as a recommendation.

All I will say is do not let your children read Jaqueline Wilson books. These books were in the school library when I was 11 and I've seen other readers say they are popular amongst the 8-12/1 age group. Going by on what I remember from reading them at that young age (and I remember them quite well) Wilson manages to write about a host of topics (sex, eating disorders) in an extrememly age innapropriate way.

Su
Cloverhand Reader
I will admit that I did read this book so long ago that I can't really remember what happens in it but I do remember that I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped

I love books by Jacqueline Wilson, especially her teenage ones since they are slightly more aimed towards my age range than her younger books

I have watched most of the series that they made based on these books but I watched it so many years ago

The characters are relatable and I would say that this is one of the only things that stopped me
Kirjapallo
Minun oli tarkoitus lukea vaan ihan vähän alkua, mutta kuinka ollakaan, luin vahingossa koko kirjan... :D Tämä menee ehdottomasti kutosten ystävyys- ja ihastusvinkkauksiin.

Päähenkilönä on 13-vuotias Ellie jonka molemmat ystävät seurustelevat, joten niinpä hän väittää itsekin seurustelevansa. Hänen kirjekaverinsa Dan on vain aika erilainen kuin mitä hän on ystävilleen kertonut... Vai onko?

Kirjasta oikein huokuu semmoinen hauska ja sympaattinen fiilis, mutta samalla käsitellään myös vakavampia ai
Celia
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-library
Jacqueline Wilson books are extremely popular with the 8-12 year olds at our school, and so I grabbed this book to read. In the story, thirteen-year-old Ellie has two best friends: goth Nadine, and flirty Magda. They goof off at school and are focused on boyfriends, and it's goth Nadine who lands an older one. He pressures her to go further, even as Ellie is trying to find a boy of her own, and her father and step-mother begin fighting more and more.

My overall assessment is that the book is lig
Marta
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My TV broke so the rapair man took it to fix and now I can't stop reading books. I have read this book in 1 day and I am finally reading another book. I really like this book because it has some fun things and it was really interesting. The book is about 3 girls. Ellie, Magda and Nadine. They are the 3 best friends. Ellie thinks that she is unattractive and boring, and that no boy would ever be interested in her. Magda has boyfriends all the time and Nadine is dead gorgeous and was nearly on the ...more
Bich Dao
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is OK. jacqueline's kind of narrating is great but the plot is a bit too girly for me. And there's not much of problems here, just a whiney girl trying to get away from a annoying younger kid, to my opinion.
Maybe this fit with those who prefers the not-too-many-action kind of girl books.
Nicholas Whyte

A good book for teenagers - aimed more at girls than boys, with an honest story about relationships, status, hideous embarrassment and BOYS. It didn't wow me quite as much as the other books I've read by the same author, but I'm not the target audience and I'd happily get it for those who are.
Kate Millin
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the Teenage angst books she writes so well. This is the first in a series of three about Ellie and her best friends Magda and Nadine just going into year 7 and starting to get interested on boys. It brought back lots of memories of what it felt like to be in that difficult time when you are not an adult or a child
Shahrun
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to love Jacqueline Wilson when I was a kid. And I still do! This book was so much fun and really transported me back to my teen years (the good and the bad). I loved the illustrations too. More books should have them! I have now ordered the rest of the series.
Ursula
I don't understand why they all have to be so similar these sorts of books. If there is any book where the main character is fine with the way they look or whatever ad isn't jealous of their friend/s please let me know.
Amanda
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
gawd.. i have no idea i read this.. i guess i was just really bored and waanted to now how bad it was.. it was so funnay how fake it was.. i mean a 13 girl going out wiht a 17 guy??? and then going clubbing come on!!!! ya.. courtney this is ur book.. sol gave it too me to give to u...
ikram
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Floor Flawless
Toen ik wat jonger was, was ik dol op deze boeken. Ik vind ze nu wat minder dan toen, maar zijn wel oke.
Tracey
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-books
I enjoyed this book. It was fun to read. Loved the way the girls always stuck together!
Rebekah Gillian
I decided to re-read these books when I saw them on my bookshelf and wanted to remember what I was into as a young kid. I have fond memories of reading three of the four books in one day when I was home sick from school and loving every minute of it. Never did I imagine loving it the second time around as much as I did.
A must-read for adolescence from 10-14, this details situation most teenagers will have to go through at some point. It deals briefly with LBGT issues in a time before it was talk
Teresa
~ 2.5 Stars ~ This book is part of the BBC's 100 Must Read Books. I'm guessing that is was a must read for British girls like Judy Blume's books were when I was growing up. I just can't imagine though that it could be as memorable as Blubber or Are You There God? It's Me Margaret. I'm just surprised that this book made it on the list.
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
  • Losing the Plot (Angels Unlimited, #2)
  • Lucky Star
  • Charm School
  • How to Flunk Your First Date (Two of a Kind, #2)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl (Ally's World, #1)
  • Gormenghast (Gormenghast, #2)
  • Mates, Dates, and Designer Divas (Mates, Dates, #3)
  • Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • Sunset Song (A Scots Quair, #1)
  • Pig-Heart Boy
  • Skinny Melon And Me (Diary, #1)
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...

Girls (4 books)
  • Girls Under Pressure (Girls, #2)
  • Girls Out Late (Girls, #3)
  • Girls in Tears (Girls, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99