Start by marking “30-Second Psychology” as Want to Read:
30-Second Psychology

30-Second Psychology

(30-Second)

Pavlov’s Dogs, Psychoanalysis, Milgram’s Obedience Study, and Beck’s Cognitive Therapy? Sure, you know what they all mean (that is, you’ve certainly heard of them), but do you understand enough about these psychology theories to join a dinner party debate or dazzle the bar with your knowledge?

Published June 21st 2011 by Icon Books Ltd (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about 30-Second Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30-Second Psychology

Sanne
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Really enjoyed reading this book as an upcoming psychology student! I'm more familiar now with famous theories and other things. Now I'm even more excited to go to university!
Linda
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book includes an introduction and a brief summary of fifty of the most famous psychological theories, such as psycho analysis, embodied cognition, cognitive dissonance, neuro plasicity, 10 000 hours of practice, cognitive behavior therapy and more.

I am familiar with some of the theories, such as the famous Pavlov’s dog. Classical conditioning is a learning procedure. One stimulus is connected to another stimulus and the person learns that they belong together. In Ivan Pavlov’s experiment, do
Zheen
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Does what it's intended to do and does it nicely. Very well organized and written book, and the subject couldn't get any more interesting. Needless to say that this book does not do the job if you want to dive deep.
Kirsten
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
My attention span has come to this, 30 seconds on complex theories. But let's face it, I was never going to do a psychology degree, and the topic is quite interesting. Two points that particularly struck me were the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, and Loftus' False Memories.

The Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis considers the myth of Eskimos having many words for snow with the underlying presumption that we can't think about concepts for which we lack the words. I remember discussing this with others in the past.
Ali Albaijan
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting book. I couldn't put it down. It summarizes a lot of theories for a half page each. It is light book with so much huge chunk of information. Presented in understandable language. This helps who is interested in psychology to get exposed more to psychology with no worries of not understanding it. Pictures are demonstrating the main idea of each theory next to it. Which makes it easier for me to comprehend the theory.
Zulhilmi Ghouse
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I bought this because of the cover, and also because I have an interest in psychology. I read my sister's psychology textbook once. This is like a condensed version of that, with all the most important theories. Every theory has an illustration. Can't say I love them, but it's a good book, nevertheless. Would make a nice coffee table book.
Michelle
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! Easy to read, simple to understand, and great refresher on topics I learned back in Psych 101. I even learned about new theories! I think this is a great introductory book on the subject...definitely useful for classes and even conversation topics. I loved it!
Cori H. Spenzich
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Does a great job providing single page summaries, and the accompanying artwork is excellent.

I was most interested in:

Confirmation Bias
Groupthink
Stereotype Threat
Follow The Leader (Social Identity Theory)
The Lake Wobegon Effect
Fundamental Attribution Error
Rosenhan's Insane Places
Loftus's False Memories

Most of these were interesting because of the cultural relevance around polarization between groups and dehumanizing of the other (follow the leader, groupthink, fundamental attribution error, confi
Fatema
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quick read on some predominant psychological theories. Even though the book is a good introduction to popular phenomenon and theories like the bystander effect or Maslow's hierarchy of needs et cetera, you are merely dipping your toe into the subject with this book. I give this book a 5 star because the content holds true to the title and it has been written for reading ease. Finally, as a reader, it is your interest in the subject that will drive you to complete the book.
Chris Erzfeld
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This concept is fantastic for people who want to jump headfirst into the world of psychology. You will get a basic understanding of human behavior, what motivates us, and how little control we have over our responses. I highly recommend you read this if you want a quick overview of human psychology.
Yara
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love how they got 50 psychological theories and studies and summarized them each in page with an even shorter summary at the end as well. Learned a lot reading this. I'll always enjoy a good Psychology book.
Jason Wang
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good info and introduction to a lot of principles, some i knew, some i didnt, and most i was glad to refresh and be more aware of. also interesting to learn about some of the psychologists/psychiatrists and how they made up their lives and how they got successful and influential.
Rebekah
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Titbit sized theories that are made easy to read and digestible.
Anastasia
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very accurate and handy to have! I have a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and I give it my full approval (whatever that decree may mean)!
Nan Diliyanova
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brief and neat, it was nice to see many theories I studied throughout college!
Nora
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series in general. If you are interested in any subject and just want to lean the basics it is wonderful. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in psychology.
Oskar
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice short overview of the important milestones in the evolution of psychology from the late 1800s until now.
Murilo Andrade
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
The book introduces the layman (like me) to some very interesting ideas in the field of psychology. It is interesting to see how many of the empirical psychological frameworks you already have in your mind will be found throughout the book.

The book is divided in a few sets of chapters: Old School, New School, Growth & change, Decision Making & Emotions, Social Psychology, Ways We differ, Disordered Minds, Thoughts & Languange. Each set opens with a handful of definitions used throug
Icon Books
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The key ideas in Psychology explained, with colour illustrations, in half a minute. Pavlov's Dogs, Psychoanalysis, Milgram's Obedience Study, and Beck's Cognitive Therapy? Sure, you know what they all mean. That is, you've certainly heard of them. But do you know enough about these psychology theories to join a dinner party debate or dazzle the bar with your knowledge? 30-Second Psychology takes the top 50 strands of thinking in this fascinating field, and explains them to the general reader in ...more
Skylar Burris
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is a coffee table book, suitable for reading in small chunks from time to time, although I pretty much read it in two sittings. It provides a cursory overview of the major figures and theories in psychology, as well as some of the terminology, and is a useful selection of information for someone not deeply versed in the topic. The arrangement is attractive except those portions in which black words are printed on a bluish gray background, which can make reading slightly difficult.
Jonathan Berry-Smith
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book does exactly what it is set out to do. It explains (simply and concisely) a range of interesting psychological topics. It is not meant to bring anything particularly new for the psychology expert, although he or she can still enjoy reviewing the once novel and fascinating topics learned from his or her past studies. And if you are new to psychology, this book can really open your eyes/mind to some of the best theories/ideas of the field in an easily accessible and fun manner.
Graham Proud
This one raised so many serious questions for me: Cognitive Dissonance, Confirmation Bias, Embodied Cognition, False Memories, Insane Places - google these and you will be gone for days! My favourite observation is regarding Neuroplasicity – we never stop changing until we die.

I read this concurrently with 30-Second Psychology, so I have to ask, how on earth can we even start basic philosophy unless undergirded first by robust psychology?
Lyndsay-ann
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I love learning new things about psychology and this book didn't let me down. There was quite a few items in this book that I had not heard about before and some I found really interesting. The amount of info given was not a lot though as it is a info in 30 seconds book, so I want to look them up to learn more.

I knew what kind of book it was when I started, but the more I read and learnt I was starting to wish it was a little longer and offered more info.
❁ cammie ❁
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
This book contains many interesting psychology theories and explains in a way that makes it easy for me to understand. It also includes an either funny or informative short text, and also counter arguments to some of the theories.
I love psychology, and this book introduced me to many theories and psychologists that I wasn't aware of. It was an interesting read.
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
The book gives you what it promises: theories of psychology in 30 seconds, not more and not less. I liked that it introduces you to the theories, but for me it was not broad enough. I would have preferred it if they made it 5-Minutes Psychology. It was like the writers gave you a one piece of candy and then took the bowl away ;)
Alex G
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good crash course introduction to everything from Freud to cognitivism to positive psychology. Particularly enjoyed learning a little bit about Chomsky's contribution to the psychology of language and cognition.
Awab AlSaati
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I like a book that is straightforward and informative, which is exactly what this book is. With no background in psychology, I found it immensely fascinating and insightful. Especially how in every section there is a list of relevant vocabularies presented.
Gavin Wilkes
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall a good book. You learn basic info from multiple fields, theories, and experiments that happened throughout the history of psychology. A good book to start with and may even get you into psychology.
Ruth
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Does exactly what it says on the tin. Brief description and analysis of psychological theories which are relevant to how we live our lives. I feel though that Lauren Slater's 'Opening Skinner's Box' was better - less breadth but more in depth.
Lauren
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it. It's a great jumping off point to see what sparks your interest in certain theories and disciplines in Psychology. Beautifully put together, really enjoyed the vintage-y illustrative graphic designed art.

• 30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute
  • 30-Second Theories: The 50 Most Thought-provoking Theories in Science, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Economics
  • 30-Second Politics
  • 30-Second Maths
  • 30-Second Anatomy
  • 30-Second Mythology: The 50 Most Important Greek and Roman Myths, Monsters, Heroes and Gods, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Religion (The 50 most thought-provoking religious beliefs each explained)
  • The Universe Inside You: The Extreme Science of the Human Body From Quantum Theory to the Mysteries of the Brain
  • Universe: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Nurse! Nurse!: A Student Nurse's Story
  • 50 Psychology Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Free Will
  • Healing the Angry Brain: How Understanding the Way Your Brain Works Can Help You Control Anger and Aggression
  • Cracked: Why Psychiatry is Doing More Harm Than Good
  • Unhooked: How to Quit Anything
  • The Science of Consequences: How They Affect Genes, Change the Brain, and Impact Our World
  • The Bad Doctor

30-Second (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • 30-Second Anatomy
  • 30-Second Ancient Egypt: The 50 Most Important Achievements of a Timeless Civilization, each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Architecture: The 50 Most Signicant Principles and Styles in Architecture, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Astronomy: The 50 most mindblowing discoveries in astronomy, each explained in half a minute
  • 30-Second Brain: The 50 Most Mind-blowing Ideas in Neuroscience, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Economics
  • 30-Second Elements: The 50 Most Significant Elements, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Evolution
  • 30-Second Jazz: The 50 crucial concepts, styles and performers, each explained in half a minute (30 Second)
  • 30 Second Leonardo da Vinci: His 50 Greatest Ideas and Inventions, Each Explained in Half a Minute
“No one has direct access to your mind like you do. That's why introspection remains a valid technique even after the invention of brain scanners.” 4 likes
“Unconscious motivating forces play a central role in shaping our behavior, but they are also the primary cause of mental illness.” 4 likes