Start by marking “L.A. Woman” as Want to Read:
L.A. Woman

L.A. Woman

"L.A. Woman" by Cathy Yardley is the story of Sarah Walker, a girl who has done something that is not all that uncommon...moved to a new city for a guy who wasn't worth it. She moves to L.A. and changes her whole life in anticipation of marriage to her business-minded fiance, Benjamin. After continual stalling on Ben's part to join her, Sarah eventually snaps and dumps him ...more
Published May 24th 2002 by Red Dress Ink (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about L.A. Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L.A. Woman

Dawn
Nov 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Hmmm, let's see, what did I learn from this book?

Hmmm, I think I learned that the club scene in L.A. is highly overrated as is the mediocre main character, Sarah, with few endearing qualities.

This story was predictable and I found none of the characters likeable or relateable.

Overall, I was glad to finally slog my way through this book to its end and move on to the next book on my shelf.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
A little boring and predictable. I was glad to finish it and move on to something else.
Karolina
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: na-półce
Jest to kolejna książka z serii „Literatura w spódnicy”. Główna bohaterka to Sara👩 , która dla swojego faceta przeprowadziła się do wielkiego miasta Los Angeles. Wyjechała z nadzieją że urządzi mieszkanie dla siebie i swojego ukochanego. Niestety on nie ma zamiaru z nią zamieszkać. Sara doprowadzona do ostateczności sama zrywa ze swoim narzeczonym. Nieoczekiwanie zostaje bez pracy i bez pomysłu na życie. Podczas wypadu do kawiarni przypadkowo zapoznaje pewnego geja. On podsuwa jej pomysł żeby zn ...more
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit, favorites, own
This is one of the books that introduced me to not only red dress ink, but chick lit as a whole. I love this book and have read it several times. Funny how a whim purchase at a used bookstore can do this to you.
Emily
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
Sarah is trying to find her place in the world. She moves to LA to set up house for her fiance, Benjamin, who is suppose to join her and support her so she can find what she wants to do. When things don't go as planned Sarah finds herself, single, jobless, and still direction less. With new and old friends around her all with opinions about Sarah's life and what she should do next.

This was a great coming of age type story. With the character making changes and decisions about her life through i
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
With a little hesitation, I pick up chick lit because I have to be in the mood for light and fluffy. Although this quintessential chick lit, it had heart and soul that made it more than just a girlie read. A story centered around a girl who makes the decision to "follow" or rather move to a new city - L.A., where her long-term fiance is said to follow. Will he ever move and will they ever get married? The ultimate questions.

As a girl who has decided to move with a boy, it takes some courage, gut
Emma
Jan 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
A typical chick-lit story, girls makes big changes/sacrifices for a boyfriend, boyfriend proves himself unworthy, girl dumps boy and then spends most of the rest of the book kissing frogs trying to find the Prince. While 'L.A Woman' didn't follow this pattern exactly, it's pretty close. In moving to L.A Sarah hopes to give her relationship a chance but when it doesn't work she reinvents herself with help from the big city and her flatmate. In the process she starts to lose who she things she is, ...more
Stephanie Caines
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Deborah
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Sarah moves to LA with plans on living with her boyfriend Benjamin (who was suppose to follow her to LA shortly). He ends staying at his current job for a while longer. Then he does move to LA but doesn't want to live with Sarah. Sarah, stuck with an expensive two bedroom apartment, searches for a roommate. Martika moves in a takes Sarah under her wing. She teaches Sarah how to party, dress, apply makeup, have a sex life...
Hortensia
Jun 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
¿Qué decir de esta novela? Quizá lo mejor será no decir nada.
No es mala del todo, pero realmente tampoco me gustó. El estilo de la escritora está bien, es ameno; pero la historia... por Dios, qué pereza con el protagónico femenino y los antihéroes ¡horribles! y un final tan cortado que parece inconcluso.
Desperdicio de lectura.
February Four
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't think I would like this book as much as I did... but I do. I loved the ending and the characters, and it really was a fun read.
rainyfeathers
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
This book is horribly dated. I read it when it first came out back in 2002. In a way it is a piece of nostalgia.

Light read about being young and not having direction.
Kimberly Anne
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
It's was ok.
Che_neffhotmail.com
I was so bored but continued to read through to the end
T.
I own this book and found it hard to get into the story.
Allie
May 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Horrible. Worst I've read in a long time. Do not read.
Lenore
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was soooo fun! FYI-there is a little bit of sex and some cursing. A pleasant surprise for sure.:)
Rodney Marable
Jun 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people flying to Europe on vacation.
I bought this at the airport expecting crap but was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Sarah moves to LA, takes a wild roommate, tries to find herself. Everyone learns a little and grows by the end.
Kathryn
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Paint by numbers chick lit, but a nice diversion I guess.
Nicole
May 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, chick-lit
Everybody in this book is terrible. Everybody. It wasn't poorly written though, which is why I went with two stars instead of the one that the story deserved.
Rose
Sep 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Pathetic characters. Heroine completely lacking in self esteem, spunk, or basic values. I actually threw this in the garbage after I read it, and I NEVER do that.
Lindsay
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
$2 at Borders. Read on the plane. Predictable but entertaining. Some typos, which were distracting.
Kyla
  • Loose Screws
  • Looking For Mr. Goodfrog
  • Starting From Square Two
  • Up & Out
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • True Lies of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #2)
  • Wonderboy
  • Roommates
  • This Is Chick-lit
  • Making Minty Malone
  • The Single Wife
Cathy Yardley is an award-winning author of romance, chick lit, and urban fantasy, who has sold over 1.2 million copies of books for publishers like St. Martin's, Avon, and Harlequin. She writes fun, geeky, and diverse characters who believe that underdogs can make good and that sometimes being a little wrong is just right.