Start by marking “Surviving Schizophrenia: A Tale of Sound and Fury” as Want to Read:
Surviving Schizophrenia: A Tale of Sound and Fury

Surviving Schizophrenia: A Tale of Sound and Fury

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
What you are about to read is a true story. I am an apparently normal happily married middle class mother of four, living the humdrum existence of an ordinary housewife. And I have a diagnosis of schizophrenia, something that I have always felt a deep sense of shame and embarrassment about, and kept hidden for many years.

I have agonised for many years over whether to make
Kindle Edition, 2nd, 291 pages
Published June 22nd 2011 by Twynham Press

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Schizophrenia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surviving Schizophrenia

Kristine
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a free Kindle offer and the topic sounded interesting so I went for it. The problem with this story and there were a few is that it really isn't about schizophrenia. The first 60% of the book talks about the main characters childhood. She has a verbally abusive father with a terrible gambling problem, a mother who isn't really there for her and who is an alcoholic and a number of siblings who don't really seem very supportive. There is also a lot of talk about her schooling and teacher ...more
Julie
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book.
Whistlers Mom
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is both a memoir and a mystery. It's a memoir of the author's strange family and bizarre childhood and of the three breakdowns which led to her being "sectioned" (involuntarily committed to a mental hospital.) It's a mystery because it remains uncertain which of her problems stemmed from her illness and which from the largely ineffective and sometimes brutal "treatment" she received. Even her diagnosis (schizophrenia) is in doubt.

She was the child of a passive, alcoholic mother and an
Aunty Janet
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This is an uncompromising memoir about the author's life. I found it very interesting but it raised more questions for me than it answered. I am mostly surprised that the author is now doing really well, but takes no medication for her schizophrenia. I was under the impression that medication was needed long-term for this condition, but I am no expert and may well be wrong.
I liked the book but it was difficult to read in parts (not because of the writing), challenging and heart-breaking in parts
Georgiana
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
Downloaded this as a free Kindle book. It's poorly edited in places, but not enough to bother. I liked the quick pace set by the fragmented style, and the subject matter is intriguing enough to keep you reading. By the end of the book, someone with schizophrenia doesn't seem all that different from a “normal” person.
Krystal
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read that was difficult to put down. Great writing and very personal account of schizophrenia. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to understand schizophrenia. This book also provides great hope for those suffering from schizophrenia as the happy and remarkable ending indicates.
DianaAitch
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It's an open and honest account of developing, coping and (mostly) overcoming mental illness.

The author goes through some major life changes which make for interesting reading.
Sue1958
Oct 12, 2012 added it
Shelves: true-stories
After meeting this lady online and chatting to her I just had to read her book. My husband has a mental health problem, Bi Polar, so reading this was quite close to home although the two illnesses are different in how they portray themselves. I found this a good insight
Neal Brown
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was reading this with the hope of understanding more about living with schizophrenia. Unfortunately, this only accounted for about 20% of the book, if that.
Kathy
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A true story of a mother of 4 and her struggle with Schizophrenia. A remarkable read.
Kate
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Amazing, some spelling and grammar mistakes but a great read.
Lori Hohn
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good read

Interesting insight into someone living with mental illness. You just never know what someone's struggles are. I recommend this book
Heavenlyharpstringsgmail.com
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A true acct. from a gal that has lived with this disease. Good for her for having the courage to write about it! I recommend it.
Ruth Loizides
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An interesting read. An honest account of her illness and the impact it has on all
Pause For Thought
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing memoir by a very brave women. Very thought prevoking and interesting.
M.
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Karen Goss
Jan 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Rubbish

Utter boring rubbish.. don't bother, first chapter was ok, but stopped reading, as it's nothing to do with the title
Robin Martin