Start by marking “The Great Brain Does it Again (Great Brain #7)” as Want to Read:
The Great Brain Does it Again (Great Brain #7)

The Great Brain Does it Again (The Great Brain #7)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  2,203 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The Great Brain Does it Again (Great Brain #7)
Published August 15th 1976 by Yearling (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Brain Does it Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Brain Does it Again

i liked it
King Ævil
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
When I was little I loved the Great Brain books. Does It Again is not one of the better ones. I forgot just how much of an asshole Tom is, and how much of a Wimp John is. Mr. Fitzgerald also has some odd notions about justice.
Dominick
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was hard to rate. It's an odd, interesting book. One tends to assume that this sort of series thing is going to be fairly light and generic, and I haven't read any of the earlier volumes so didn't much know what to expect. Furthermore, I usually find Mercer Mayer's art--though lovely and polished--a tad too saccharine.

However, this book is generally much better-written than the format might suggest. Fitzgerald uses a more complex vocabulary and style than one might expect. The book is still
Rick Stuckwisch
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This is probably my least favorite book in the series. There are some sweet and thoughtful parts to it, and it's not bad, but overall the tone is not as fun and lighthearted as the rest of the books. It seems more cynical, and Tom comes across more mean-spirited than he has previously. Makes me wonder what was happening in the lives of the Fitzgerald brothers at the point when this one was written. It was likely getting close to the end of John's life, and perhaps Tom had already died. In any ev ...more
Michael Emond
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am on record as saying this is my favourite children series. Smart, well written, well developed characters and a main character that has flaws but also has heart. We get to see less of the heart on display in this book and that is a bit of a shame, but there is still one or two chapters that show us the Great Brain doesn't just have a money loving heart. My fav chapter is when his actions lead to helping out an Indian tribe and my least favourite one is when he fails to get a child to lose we ...more
Jennifer Oldroyd
Ahh-the last of the seven "Great Brain" books. Such a satisfying feeling to finish a series.
These books are not great children's literature, but are classics nonetheless. I loved reading these to my children!

My children's ratings:

10-year-old boy: 4 stars.
"It's so funny how he swindles everyone all the time and they all keep falling for it. It's a really funny book. Kids would like it."

8-year-old girl: 5 stars.
"I think the great brain is really really smart. I liked the books a lot."
Matt456789
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These are children's/teen books, describing the antics and shenanigans of a group of brothers growing up in Utah in the 1800s. Although that may not seem very interesting, these are probably the best written and most entertaining books of the children/teen adventure genre. I highly recommend all the Great Brain books.
Tyler
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
This one was okay. In book four Tom is in Salt Lake city and the new setting made the series fresh and exciting. The books since then are back in Adenville and it feels sort of like they are just parodying the earlier books in some ways. Still funny, just not as great since I've been reading all the other books before them.
Jack Cheng
May 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Kind of wondering why I'm still reading these. As with #6, Tom has "reformed" which means that it's the same old thing with a more cynical point of view. The capers are also kind of lame. Tom tries to get a fat kid to lose weight! The fat kid does not lose weight!

I'm curious to read the last in this series because it was finished after Fitzgerald's death.
Katie Kwon
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alex insists we continue on to book 8, the posthumous compilation from the author's notes. These books have faded a little for me as I read them to him. Tom seems like a budding sociopath. I did always like the chapter about the little boy with diabetes in it.
Robb Christopherson
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a series that I read as a kid and loved them. I am reading them with my kids now. They are fun and based in a Mormon town. If you're looking for literary quality, you should check elsewhere; they are well-written, just not the highest of quality. The stories, however, are very fun!
Katie
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Although these books are probably 3rd grade level, I can never read them without laughing! They're very cute, and if you know anybody with elementary school kids who need a good book, I'd recommend any of the books in the series!
Chipp
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
see The Great Brain
Dheeraj
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great
Ebookwormy1
A great book for boys!

After being introduced to The Great Brain by a teacher reading it in class, I read this entire series a few times as a middle schooler. The stories are wonderfully funny.

Mary Ann
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the last book, and they were delightful to read. It was so great to revisit Adenville for a while and forget about my modern-day troubles.
Adam
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
I don't remember exactly what happens in this book, but its good!
The Badger
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
These books were so fun to read!
Richard
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I still recall when my younger brother received The Great Brain box set from the ZCMI Center Deseret Book, but I do not recall if he ever completed them (at least I did).
Anthony Ventrello
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Although this is the "official" last book in the series, it is one of the best. After finishing it makes you wish there was more to come.
Amie
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Read all these as a kid and loved them!
Caleb
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
i liked it
Tina Yates
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
I loved this entire series and, now that I've remembered it, I'm going to get it for my son. I think he'll love them, too.
Story Revolution
As entertaining as ever...readers will fall happily under The Great Brain's spell.--School Library Journal.
Sarah Sammis
Dec 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Fun series. Great illustrations.
Mattaca Warnick
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids, mormons, gamblers, and geniuses
I recently rediscovered this series from when I was a kid. They still hold up 20 years later. One of my favorite children's authors.
Melanie
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
T. D. Fitzgerald has to come up with fair ways to earn money these days, although they still seem to be a swindle. We have enjoyed this series very much and are ready to plow into the last book.
Cws
JAR4-Fit
  • The War with Mr. Wizzle (MacDonald Hall, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • Soup (Soup, #1)
  • The Philadelphia Adventure (Vesper Holly #5)
  • The New Adventures of the Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • Thirteen Ways to Sink a Sub (Hobie Hanson, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Nervous Lion (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #16)
OFFICIAL WEBSITE REFERENCED REPORTS:
John Dennis Fitzgerald was born in Price, Utah, on February 3, 1906, to Thomas and Minnie Melsen Fitzgerald. His father had a pharmacy degree but engaged in a number of business ventures and served on the Price Town Council for four years. John graduated from Carbon High School and at the age of eighteen and left Utah to pursue a career as a jazz drummer. He wo
More about John D. Fitzgerald...

The Great Brain (8 books)
  • The Great Brain (Great Brain #1)
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain #2)
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • The Great Brain at the Academy (Great Brain #4)
  • The Great Brain Reforms (Great Brain #5)
  • The Return of the Great Brain (#6)
  • The Great Brain Is Back (Great Brain #8)