Start by marking “El verano de los juguetes muertos (Inspector Salgado, #1)” as Want to Read:
El verano de los juguetes muertos (Inspector Salgado, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

El verano de los juguetes muertos

(Inspector Salgado #1)

En una ciudad donde nadie dice lo que piensa, un policía busca la verdad.

Tres muertes inexplicables Dos promesas de venganza Un verano sofocante El inspector Héctor Salgado lleva semanas apartado del servicio cuando le asignan de manera extraoficial un caso delicado. El aparente suicidio de un joven va complicándose a medida que Salgado se adentra en un mundo de privilegio
Published July 2011 by DeBolsillo

To ask other readers questions about El verano de los juguetes muertos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El verano de los juguetes muertos

Start your review of El verano de los juguetes muertos (Inspector Salgado, #1)
Andrea
3.5★

It's a hot, steamy summer in Barcelona and when Inspector Hector Salgado returns to his job after enforced leave, the Super wants to ease him back into work by assigning him an unofficial investigation. Salgado is to look into the circumstances surrounding the death of a young man, to put his estranged mother's mind to rest. Furthermore, it is the first time he is to work with hotshot new Agent, Leire Castro, who has joined his team while he was away. Meanwhile, complications arise from the
Rusalka
This book deserves a more thought out review than I am going to give it, but I am trying to clear my desk before going away.

This is a great police procedural set in Spain. There is the token grumpy Inspector with a dark past and personal issues, but he is more likeable than most. The plucky female junior partner was also given more depth than usual.

The crimes were nicely but not overly convoluted. And I didn't see the whodunnit coming. The setting of a lovely, steamy, summer Barcelona was great.
Beverly
This was a 3.5 read for me.

Excellent characterizations and plenty of plot twists wrapped in a dark timbre makes for a satisfying and entertaining read. This book introduces us to Inspector Hector Salgado, a Barcelona police homicide detective, who has just returned from visiting his native Argentina, as he is on “forced” leave due to beating up a sex trafficker ring leader who denied culpability in the death of a young Nigerian girl. Because of his violent actions, Hector is taken off this case
L.A. Starks
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This well-written, engaging mystery is set in Barcelona. It features Inspector Salgado, an Argentine, struggling to solve a death that at first appears to be a suicide. Other characters, and mysteries, are set in motion, and a "meta-mystery" is not solved in this book. The second in the series, The Good Suicides, is also excellent; I look forward to the third.
Bill
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
There is a lot to like about this exciting new thriller by Mr. Hill. You meet some interesting new characters. You get a feeling of what it must feel like to live in Barcelona. You are kept in the dark about what is really happening until near the end, and then everything begins to unfold and slowly become clear.

The book has some parts that will make you squirm. You may wonder whether Inspector Salgado is really too messed up to continue as a policeman. The action switches locations and charact
Julie
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
The Summer of Dead Toys is a Random House publication released in June 2013.

We are introduced to Inspector Hector Salgado during a very difficult period. He is on leave while he seeks therapy and things cool down a bit from Hector's breakdown. He nearly beat a man to death after discovering the atrocities the man had committed. Somehow, Hector was hanging on to his job.
Hector is also dealing with his ex-wife that left him for another woman and the distance between himself and his son.

When a you
Jason P
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The Summer of Dead Toys

I don't know who this Toni Hill guy is, but hot damn does he know how to tell a good thriller!
When I chose to read this book I picked it up on whim; never know about the whim picks, they can go either way. I picked one up once that claimed to be what it wasn't, and it went directly back to the book store, take THAT unnamed author who I won't mention.

Anyway, the story we find here is about a police officer by the name of Hector Salgado (which means salty for those of you w
Susan
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent start to a crime series set in a stifling Barcelona summer. Inspector Salgado has been sent away after a violent attack on a human trafficker. Returning to Spain, he is still under investigation. At a lose end he is asked to look into the death of a nineteen year old boy, son of a prominent businessman, from a balcony window. Investigating with him is Leine Castro, who has problems of her own.

As Salgado finds his previous case has certainly not gone away, he delves into the
Bettie
Jul 26, 2012 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laura
Blurb in English - When the death of a vulnerable young witness in a case of human trafficking and voodoo causes the normally calm Inspector Salgado to beat someone up, he is moved off the project and sent instead to investigate a teenager's fall to his death in one of Barcelona's uptown areas.

As Salgado begins to uncover the inconvenient truths behind the city's most powerful families, two seemingly unsolvable cases are set to implode under the hot Barcelona sun.
Marie (UK)
I thought this had the makings of an excellent book but just fell along the wayside with the main narrative getting lost in amongst everything else. I kept wondering what it had to do with the dead toys of the title. It was wrapped up well and i didn't work out the culprit both good. I also liked the characterisation
Michelle Lancaster
The Summer of Dead Toys, Antonio Hill
Broadway Books
978-0-7704-3589-9
$15, 362 pgs

“No one has ever been killed out of love; that’s a fallacy from tango.” - Héctor Salgado

This story grabs you on page one and refuses to relinquish its grip. From the first page: “It’s been a long time since I thought of Iris or the summer she died. I suppose I tried to forget it all, in the same way I overcame nightmares and childhood fears. … I’m six years old, I’m at camp and I can’t sleep because I’m scared. No, I
Anna
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won an ARC of this book via RIF.

II enjoyed this new detective. Salgado has a lot of the classic appeal of the loner detective; divorced, with ice, fire, sadness, and passion. He's investigating a death of a well off young man, but on the same time there are shadows of a crime from a long time ago, and of a witch doctor posing threats and making the life more complicated for Salgado. And some crimes will be (maybe) solved in the next story.

Interesting characters, from the team of Salgado to the
Steve Dahlgren
It suffers a bit when after a very gripping investigation that leads up to the reveal, it peters out, "the inspector had a hunch, and once it was verified, they went to arrest the suspect, who confessed everything, the end."
Neil
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting protagonist, great setting, a fine mystery.
Mr B Coverdale
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having previously read and enjoyed the Chief Insp Max Camera books by Jason Webster set around Valencia and Barcelona I searched for another set with a similar feel and location. Antonio Hill's Argentine Detective based in Barcelona appeared to fit the bill. After all, given the current climate this is the only way I am likely to "get to see Spain this summer.

I was not disapointed. In many ways Hector Salgado and Max Camera are very much alike. Of course as this was only the first book, of what
Kathleen
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The narrative Antonio Hill weaves here is subtle, but intricate. Initially, there are two mysteries being investigated. Inspector Hector Salgado is back at work after a vacation/suspension and is given a case that seems to be a lightweight investigation of a young adult's, Marc Castell, apparent accidental death. The other is the disappearance of a person of interest, Dr. Omar, in the Inspector's prior case-the person who was the reason behind Hector's fall from grace. As both investigations pro ...more
Peggy
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this audiobook. Set in summer in Barcelona this book introduces us to Inspector Hector Salgado. He is a respected detective, but in a moment of rage he beats a suspect in a horrific human trafficking case. Because of his reputation his bosses don't suspend him, but want him under the radar for a while, so they give him what seems to be a simple case of young man who fell from a window to his death by accident or suicide. Hector is dealing with his own messy private life, but focuse ...more
Ann Tonks
A solid police-procedural that is really a 3.5 rather than a 4 but giving it 3 stars felt too mean. There are some interesting characters in the story; it captures elements of Barcelona well; but there's something that just doesn't quite ring true to me in terms of the driver of one of the mysteries. I can't say any more because that would spoil what is generally a good read. I will certainly read another Inspector Salgado novel but I confess that I prefer Jason Webster's Spanish police-procedur ...more
John Wiltshire
There was something off about this novel. Possibly the translation didn't do it any favours. It had two main treads: a Barcelona police detective returning off administrative leave because he beat up a pimp; and the investigation (by same detective) of the (apparent) accidental death of a young man. I didn't find either thread fleshed out enough to engage with either. I was... muddled. There was a huge amount of exposition in the form of blog posts/letters. The "mystery" was set up with a blog a ...more
Kelli
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up on a whim, not knowing anything about it, and was very pleasantly surprised. A really well-written murder mystery, set in Spain, featuring the Argentinian version of Harry Bosch. The writing is what really sets this apart, though. This has some really beautiful imagery, that feels a step-up (or two) on the literary scale than your average police procedural. Looking forward to more from this series!
R.E. Conary
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New detective: Inspector Hector Salgado; new country: Spain. It's always a pleasure to find a new detective story set in a locale that's different. A far cry from the cold, and often dreary, Nordic tales, A SUMMER OF DEAD TOYS treats us to hot, humid and deadly, Barcelona. Top notch mystery. Look forward to reading another episode.
Sera Morgan
I chose this book because I was visiting Barcelona, and I like to read a juicy book that is set in the city where I am visiting. In this case, I found a new author (for me) that I will definitely read again. I loved Antonio Hill's use of language and setting. The mysterious death of a young man who fell or was pushed out of a window is intriguing. The characters are fully realized, and I did not know who did it until the very end. I can't wait to read his other novel.
Colleen
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
enjoyed this. for an inexperienced writer, this book is quite an achievement. Character's somwhat complex and appealing, several story lines neatly intersecting and all getting their fair chare of attention. I always find books where children are victims very difficult to take, and this one was certainly no exception, that's what lowered it down to a 3 star, but will give more of the series a try
Janet
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I "read" this in an audio book format. I must admit there were times when i got a little lost, but was always able to get my bearings again. A Lot of the names were similar which, when listen, can make it a bit confusing. Overall i did like the tale. There was a twist at the end which i didn't quite expect. So now i'll have read the second in the series :)
Katie Knight
I did not enjoy this. In my opinion the different plot lines felt forced and did not seamlessly fit together as one would hope in a detective novel. I feel like this story was written in order to attract the highest shock factor. Perhaps I would enjoy this more in the original language as the translation felt clunky in many areas.
To sum up, not a fan.
Steve
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave it three stars because the main characters were complex and interesting. There were too many subplots and strange relationships and behaviors. The killer in the main plot seemed to be offered as an afterthought. Well written but far too convoluted.
Carol Schwartz
I enjoyed this book very much (for a sad murder story of course). The characters are fascinating, the setting, Barcellona, one of my favorite places. Now I want to go again and see some of what I missed. More books to follow, and I hope much more of the city. Thanks for the new series.
Cayo Gamber
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Barcelona and was taken aback by being reminded, again and again, that you don't want to be in Barcelona in the dead of summer. Perhaps that is a good reminder. That said, the story line was wonderful and I really came to like Inspector Salgado and his smart female colleagues.
Halley Sutton
Fairly ridiculous. Odd pacing. But set in Barcelona!
Joseph Longo
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprising

Good read. Unpredictable. The theme of troubled and abused children runs through this mystery. I hope this is the first book in a series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Tigres de cristal
  • La playa de los ahogados (Leo Caldas, #2)
  • Ojos de agua (Leo Caldas, #1)
  • El último verano de Silvia Blanch
  • Cicatriz
  • El mentiroso
  • La cara norte del corazón
  • Los ángeles de hielo
  • La nena (Elena Blanco, #3)
  • La última noche en Tremore Beach
  • Loba negra (Antonia Scott, #2)
  • La historia secreta del señor White
  • Progenie
  • Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
  • La chica de nieve
  • La Red Púrpura (Elena Blanco, #2)
  • Las hijas de la tierra
  • El enigma de la habitación 622
Toni Hill (Barcelona, 1966) es un escritor y traductor publicado por el grupo editorial Penguin-Random House. Es autor de tres novelas policíacas protagonizadas por el inspector Héctor Salgado, de los Mossos d'Esquadra de Barcelona: El verano de los juguetes muertos, Los buenos suicidas y Los amantes de Hiroshima; y de la novela de misterio de ambientación gótica Los ángeles de hielo. Ha traducido ...more

Inspector Salgado (3 books)
  • The Good Suicides (Inspector Salgado, #2)
  • Los amantes de Hiroshima (Inspector Salgado, #3)