Start by marking “Madre: Kumpulan Cerita” as Want to Read:
Madre: Kumpulan Cerita

Madre: Kumpulan Cerita

“Apa rasanya jika sejarah kita berubah dalam sehari?

Darah saya mendadak seperempatTionghoa,

Nenek saya seorang penjual roti, dan dia,

Bersama kakek yang tidak saya kenal,

Mewariskan anggota keluarga baru yang tidak pernah saya tahu: Madre.”

Terdiri dari 13 prosa dan karya fiksi, Madre merupakan kumpulan karya Dee selama lima tahun terakhir. Untaian kisah apik ini menyuguhk
Published June 2011 by Bentang Pustaka

To ask other readers questions about Madre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madre

Start your review of Madre: Kumpulan Cerita
Gustav
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found a miracle when I read this book. I love Dewi Lestari as she always bring some of philsophical message through her book. My favorite story in this book is actually Mengejar Layang-Layang. Christian and Starla are perfect opposite attract who trapped in their friendzone but yes they learn to accepting and completing each other also dare to get out from their comfort zone as part of being adult and create their happy ending. Also a story titled Guruji, everytime I remember the story it alwa ...more
Avifa Khairunisa
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
first time reading her poems. overall I enjoy the stories throughout the end. Though the plot are actually came from a simple idea (talk about that bread, or mercusuar, or a heartbreak girl) I'll surely keep this book for a long time with its rich metaphor about real life!
Atiyah Al-Karimah
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Amazing!!
Skylar Alvins
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Absurdly, I have this idea of buying a popular pick of my friends'. (Yes, buying. The Casual Vacancy, another quite popular pick outside my college, was a gift from Eli the Fiddler before I could actually get to buy one!)

But well, it's not half disappointing, although this literal-minded madame mostly skim through the poetic stanzas and read carefully through the proses only. Pardon me, but I shall only rant comment on the prose parts!

# Madre [titular short story]

It's a very, very good thing tha
Fitta Sari
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
My quite reading nook

An-Nisa Nur'aini
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
MADRE. The seventh book of Dewi ‘Dee’ Lestari ‘s collection. It contains 13 short stories and poems.

When you read Supernova, one fiction novel written by Dee, which is so heavy and has difficult language yet is so breathtaking. In my opinion. And when Perahu Kertas novel was published, I immediately became fans. Madre is a book which was published after Perahu Kertas.

Dee’s clever words rules in her works in Madre. Simple, but romantic. Romantic, but unsickening. Rich in flavor as when you eat br
Shirley Thomas
I was disappointed.

I might be unfair, however. The only other works of Dee I read previously were Supernova and a short story my sister sent me via email (something about toothbrush). I was enamored by both.

When I read Supernova I was a little impatient with all the irrelevant knowledge dump but I tolerated it because I was actually interested in the information. What I hated was the fact that said information got in the way of the story - which I have since forgotten.

Madre does not have such di
Dias Wuri
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-library
Got this book from its editor (who's a good friend of mine and a work mate), so I own the very raw version, unedited, and still is a bundle of A4 papers with the writer's signature on the front page and a hand-written message for the editor. It's quite coincident he gave me this book because I always wanted to read it but never got time to roam the bookstore and buy it.

Well. So here's my review:

The "Madre" story is interesting, really interesting, but I don't really like how the story grows. Alt
Tejo B
Sep 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I always love how Dee pick her characters in this book. They could be anyone, yet they have some common: all of them are looking for something precious for them. Once they've found it, they hold onto it until the end. Well, until the story end at least...

Like in my favorite two short story in this book: Madre and Menunggu Layang-layang.

Madre is a story about Tansen and his struggle to rewrite his own history. Suddenly, he is facing option that he has never thought about. He must choose: living a
Santo
Aug 01, 2011 added it
Shelves: sastra-indonesia
an easy read... unfortunately, possibly easy to forget as well, once you've placed it on your shelves...

the title story, "madre", is actually a good story.. on my book, it scored a number of "social" points... the tionghoa-malay mixing of cultures... the symbolism of change and continuity... and food (it's ramadhan, and any book on food would be great)...

i find dee's writing simple... supernova was a bit difficult to read at times when juxtaposing scientific writing and prose... "madre" was a bi
Sandra (Page by Page)
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Madre by Dee is sweet and able to stuff us, readers, just like a piece of blackforest =) It is an anthology of her works within the last five years, contains some prose and poems. Personally, I like 'Madre' the most, the first prose that begins the book, its light and fast story made me hard to put it down until I finish read it. I never read Dee's book before, so this is my first Dee's. From this book, I can see that Dee is the supporter for reincarnation theory, which I do not believe in that ...more
Puji Astuti
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I am a fan of Dee, fan of her ability to play with words. I am a bit frustrated when i found myself not liking this book like i did with the other dee's books. This book is the book that i like the least among Dee's book. I love "Perempuan dan Rahasia" and "Barangkali Cinta", but the rest didn't really amaze me like those two. "Have you ever?" is quirk, i laughed heartily at the beginning, but frowned nearing the end, i just.. didn't get it. "Madre" , the main story is captivating with its diffe ...more
Yunita
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indonesian-books
it takes only one night for me to read this book, it was so addictive you can't really stop read out of curiousity about the next story.

The poetry is great and it gives me a little pinch, because i used to write poetry too but i kind of lose all the feelings, sensitivity and awareness about everything surround me that used to inspired me to write.

Every story have this oasis-like feeling, almost every character are people that live in big city with all their fast non-stop life, and Dee just put
Fardila Metavia
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fictions, sastra, dee
Dee Lestari is one of the best authors Indonesia would ever had. She makes one simple ordinary story that happens everyday becoming something which is truly magnificence and alluring. Every single short stories and poems here are so beautiful that I nearly shed tears everytime I read Rimba Amniotik, the story tells of how much the sufferings and loves a Mom would render when she's pregnant. How she treats the child in her tummy as precious as her life itself. It is amazing and touching at the sa ...more
Randy
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literary
5 stars? Yes, because Dewi Lestari is my favorite author, she is like a writing Goddess, and she always writes quality stuffs.

In "Madre", I learn the soul of the dough. Being mesmerized by the big-message-that-I-can't-decode-yet in "Have You Ever?". Lost in my deep thoughts with "Semangkuk Acar untuk Cinta dan Tuhan". And "Menunggu Layang-Layang" that makes me feel so melancholic.

Dengan gaya menulis yang tidak pernah ada yang menyamai sebelumnya, Dee selalu bisa membuat setiap karyanya terasa ny
Destya Maulani
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Madre nya hidup...left me wanting more... taapi ternyata cuma cerpen, haha. yang lain not the type i can dive into. hehe, a complexity not within my grasp thus, not the kind of vibe i enjoyed reading.. karena membacanya malah jadi rindu baca bacaan macam the passage, haha.

kalau bisa, 2.5 of 5,karena some lines are powerful :D
Anggie Retno
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This book inspired me. Apart of Filosofi Kopi, I didn't read much of Dee's book. But Madre gave me another impression, another lesson. It gave me somehow a supporting unseen aura to write more and never stop to learn because a good writer will crave for more knowledge as they write and not only write from what they learn. :)
Dyah
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indonesian-lit
This book is a collection of short stories and poems, but only two titles that I enjoy: Madre and Mengejar Layang-Layang, both are short stories. The rest are too poetic for me. Maybe I'm not in the mood to enjoy poetic language, or maybe I just can't enjoy poetic language.

Madre is already adapted to the big screen, but I haven't watched the movie.
Jeremy Randolph
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed the story about madre, a great romanticization of a bread business...
have you ever see a bread bakery that is so old but still opens every day, in a corner that nobody comes to, a street that people only passes by...
well that dark and dusty old bakery have a good story to tell.
i really wished it had been longer, cause i screamed "Noooooo." when the page ends.
Westi Haryanti
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is totally awesome. Chapter I like the most is 'Menunggu Layang-Layang'. I love the romantic story between Starla and Christian or Che haha. I can't even imagine how love could grow that deep unrealized between them. The plot is very cool. I like it much!
Hidayah Sunar
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I had never been interested to read Dee's before. Thanks to my friend Atmi Pertiwi for making me in a circumstance where I explored her bookshelf and read this book. Dee is still not my favourite author yet but I now understand why many people love her. :D
Gita
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I like Madre short story the most, compared to the other stories in this book. It's clearly portrayed the impossibility of multiracial marriage in 1920 something.
For the other stories, I don't really get it. But I feel connected with 'Menunggu Layang-Layang' story.
Amy
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fun
I always love the way Dewi Lestari writes, it is always meaningful with easy to read story. I am not a big fan of poetry and short stories, so although I like the stories and I do get the massage from the poems, I would not say this is my favourite book.
Lani M
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I always love Dee' writing. Inspiring and touching. Bookgasm.
Mardea Mumpuni
Jul 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Madre is the best short stories in this book of compilations contains 13 short stories and poems.
Ayu
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this book is....

I DON'T KNOW, I CAN'T EVEN FIND THE PERFECT WORD TO DESCRIBE THIS BOOK !

IN SOME WAY: THIS BOOK IS FRIKKIN' SWEET

DAMN, I LOVE THIS BOOK :*
Lighto
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
As I expected from Dee. Lot of new things I've learned. Inspirational for me. Open another way I see hows life. Thank you Dee. Please keep up the good work. I'll always wait for your books.
Parisberkata
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
nice to read, but i'll thinking again to see this story in a movie :p
Stephanie
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Dee is an amazing writer, I especially love the short-stories she wrote. Looking forward to reading Dee's other work!
Oktaviani Mutiara
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
another Dee's brilliant works! read it yourself and you'll know
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cinta di Dalam Gelas
  • 9 dari Nadira
  • Ayahku (Bukan) Pembohong
  • Ranah 3 Warna
Dee Lestari, is one of the bestselling and critically acclaimed writers in Indonesia.
Born in January 20, 1976, she began her debut with a serial novel: Supernova in 2001. Supernova’s first episode, Kesatria, Putri, dan Bintang Jatuh (The Knight, The Princess, and The Falling Star), was sold phenomenally, achieving a cult status among Indonesian young readers. She has published four other episodes:

News & Interviews

“Kamu ingin cinta. Tapi takut jatuh cinta. But you know what? Kadang -kadang kamu harus terjun dan jadi basah untuk tahu air. Bukan cuma nonton di pinggir dan berharap kecipratan.” 97 likes
“Kendati batas antara kebebasan dan ketidakpedulian terkadang saru” 62 likes