Start by marking “The Hour of the Time” as Want to Read:

The Hour of the Time

'The Hour of the Time' is a FREE short story by Vincent Hobbes. This story was first published in The Endlands, in January 2011.

Charlie is a man who follows the rules. He is a man who is never late. He is a man who always obeys.

This is the most important day of Charlie's life, and he is running late.

The short story is FREE for download on Barnes and Noble NOOK!
Nook, Nook, 15 pages
Published May 5th 2011 by Hobbes End Publishing, LLC (first published May 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Hour of the Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hour of the Time

Start your review of The Hour of the Time
Colleen
Let's hope that's not the future.
Katy
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Katy by: Vincent Hobbes
Shelves: ebook
This short story is part of "The Endlands, Vol. 1" anthology - and it is a very odd little story. Charlie is the sort that has to always be early - if he's on time, he considers himself to be late. Today is a very important day - he's finally been called, and he wants to be certain that he arrives on time. Arriving three minutes early, he checks in and hurries down to the room where there are many other people - some are talking and laughing - some are singing - some are crying. He doesn't ...more
Thomas
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Charley is an obsessive-compulsive kinda guy. He hates being late and yet for the first time in his life he's late to a very important day. I'd say important in a horrific way. I never saw the end coming. This story reminded me of a modern version of The Lottery. The author's frantic pace set a great tone and his character, Charley, had me convinced and rooting for him. Wonderful story and free download on my kindle made it even better.
Donald Armfield
Being on time is very essential. Charlie can't be late. I hate being late myself, so I feel his pain.

But for this occasion I probably would of taken the day off.

This is my second short by Vincent. He writes like the shorts I remember seeing on Tales From the Darkside. Maybe even Twilight Zone, but I have only seen a few of those. Get a copy because you want to be on time, RIGHT?
T.L. Wood
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great short story. It is one in his anthology, The Endlands. This book is downloadable for free on most ebook formats!!

I didn't expect the ending.
Steve
Greatest lead-in for a short story:

"The future is as harsh as nature. Harsher even. Cruel and emotionless. The future is a cryptic place, where a synthetic voice is on the other end when you dial customer service, and it never understands your words. DOES NOT COMPUTE and PLEASE REPEAT YOUR REQUEST are common words in the future. The future is filled with blinking lights and chirping beeps. Complex highways and colossal buildings. One hundred foot billboards line the roads, and everything around
Chris
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, 2012-reads
This story is really quite good. Sort of a Kafka-esque horror short. I particularly liked the intro and the way that it set the tone for the story. Bleak and spare, but with a good sense for the obsessive compulsive nature of the main character---who was very well drawn. I found the other characters to be quite believable as well and the tone and execution was spot on. Well done. If you liked this author, I would try "To Read or Not to Read" which is also available for free on Kindle.
Katie Rodante
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story, ebook
The first thing I want to say is that unlike other reviewers, I did NOT expect the ending.

Charlie is late, and as the short story says, it's the most important day of his life. He is a small and frail man, and an awkward character. The other people in the story don't seem to care about him personally, and everyone else is quite nonchalant when interacting with him. Considering the ending, this puts off a bit, but I still enjoyed this story.
Pelikan
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short story with a big thought. Reminded me of Kafka a bit (this being said in the most positive way).
I am not going to spoil it by going into details on the story itself. What I want to say however, is that the work and the ending surprised me, which I always do appreciate about any piece of art.
Justin
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found that once I got about halfway through it that I knew something terrible was going to happen in the end. I wasn't sure what it was at that moment. I didn't really like it because I'm a sucker for happy endings.
Loverlypurple
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
very odd short story. It left me asking, why?
Bonnie
Maybe I missed something... lol Am just so confused after finishing this. Will think on this and come back..
Abby Miller
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Charlie drives me crazy. This dystopian story is quite unique. I wish Mr. Hobbes had extended it, but I suppose that's why it's a short story. Five stars. Another one of my favorites of his work.
Yianna Yiannacou
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is another free classic by Vincent. I loved it. It was a little bit predictable but that didn’t mean that I put the book down and stopped reading.

The main character’s name is Charlie. He is in his mid-thirties and has pretty much missed out on the fun stuff in life. He goes to work, does his job and goes home – only to begin the same routine again the next day. Charlie has been summoned for a very important meeting. It is the most important meeting of his life. He can’t be late. It’s very
Timothy McNeil
This really feels like a story written in a single session with minimal revising. And it is entirely too easy to see where it is going because I've seen this story before (in different iterations). Hobbes manages to find a tone after the first couple of pages, but it is so brief that there isn't much to do with that tone.
I think he would have been better off developing the setting more and trying to see if he could have found a way to convey to the reader that the character of Charlie Hoag is
Kim
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a short story about Charlie, a man who is never late. So never late he obsesses about it. And today, the most important day of his life, he is running late.
To say anymore would require a spoiler alert, but suffice to say you want to know more

There are a few free short stories by Hobbes on Amazon, and as a marketing tool they will work on me. I have a few more to go and then it is inevitable that I will buy one of his books.

I like the twisted darkness of this one. Let’s hope the others
Jamie
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Check out my other book reviews at my blog; The Title Page

This book intreagued me for no other reason that all of the reviews raved.

"How could such a short novella get such great reviews?" I asked myself, and set out to find the answer.

You automatically don't like the main character, he's annoying, and weird. He's the type of person who you cross the street to avoid. And he's blissfully ignorant.

This book will captivate. You won't want to put it down because you are so intrigued to find out what
Jason Maurer
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
The main theme of this short story is set around the fact that the main character, Charlie, is running late for an important meeting. Apparently, running late for Charlie is a fluke because it is reiterated many times throughout the narrative that he is NEVER late. Not that it would have mattered in this instance anyway. It isn't revealed until the very end why he is summoned on this special day, and the final few paragraphs left me surprised and a bit unnerved. Overall, a great short story.
Wanda

Summary: The Hour of the Time' is a FREE short story by Vincent Hobbes. This story was first published in The Endlands, in January 2011.

This is the most important day of Charlie's life, and he is running late.
Adventurer Rich
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this kind of story. This is my second Hobbes story, and I really like this dude. Charlie is annoying, but I did find myself caring about what was going to happen to him.
MsBDiamondDiva1
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow!!! This short story took me for a fun, exciting and refreshing ride!!! I loved the ending!!! It was to die for!!! :-)
Taylor
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow. I did not expect that. Interesting & a little bit creepy.
Gapeach
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting short tale. I enjoyed it. Can't find alot to say without spoiling it for others!
Vincent Hobbes
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
a short story by Vincent Hobbes
B
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I would love to learn about THIS dystopian society. Too bad there wasn't much about it in the story, except the reason Charlie wanted to be on time.
Vincent Hobbes
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A short story by Vincent Hobbes
lamcapri
Dec 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Annoying and predictable

I found the lead character to be very annoying, and the story to be very predictable. I had two ideas of what he was late for and one was actually correct. Very disappointed that I knew what it was about so quickly and that it was so easy to figure out. It seems to me like it was an idea from an episode of "The Twilight Zone" , but not a good one. Sorry to be so harsh, but I didn't care for it.
Timothy Coplin
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, shorts
Skillfully written short that is paced quickly which highlights the main character's paranoid obsession with not only being on time, but being early.

Hustle, hustle, hustle; sit and wait; fret over being skipped over. Completely unforeseen conclusion. This will be added to my list of favorite shorts.

<<<<<<<<<<(view spoiler)
Lily
Another one by Hobbes. The whole time it kept me guessing. The ending i couldn't predict nor understand but overall i enjoyed the read.
Richard Goodrum
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
A quick, nervous read. And then it ends.

Easy-to-read. Tragic. Twisted.

• A Very Declan Christmas (The Raven Cycle, #0.2)
  • A Death
  • 300 Fox Way Holiday Piece (The Raven Cycle, #0.3)
  • Zombie
  • On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl on One Beautiful April Morning
  • Click-Clack the Rattlebag
  • The Lying Room
  • A Minor Raven Boys Holiday Drabble (The Raven Cycle, #0.4)
  • The Last Rung On The Ladder