Start by marking “The War God's Own (War God, #2)” as Want to Read:
The War God's Own (War God, #2)

The War God's Own

(War God #2)

Bahzell Bahnakson of the Horse Stealer hradani never wanted to be a champion of the War God. Unfortunately, Tomanak had insisted. Even more unfortunately, Bahzell's own sense of responsibility hadn't let him say, "No." Which was how he found himself in the Empire of the Axe, where even people who didn't actively hate hradani regarded them with suspicion and fear. Of course ...more
Published February 1st 1999 by Baen Fantasy (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The War God's Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War God's Own

Dan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, elvez, 2019, 2014, fantasy
I love the honor, courage, and depth these characters posses. Such a great series! 7/21/17 reread.
Kathleen
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, fantasy-scifi
Book 2 began where book 1 left off, aboard the halfling's ship. Evark Pitchallow's schooner docks in the Empire of the Ax, in Belhadan Bay, in the wintry north. Bahzell is greeted by a pompous wanna-be-knight named Vaijon, joins a chapter of the Order of Tomanak, and soon faces a world of prejudice (sadly, these offenses were only reported, not vividly portrayed, so this part was disappointing. It could have been so much more poignant).

En route to Hurgrum (his Horse-Stealer hometown) Bahzell me
T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy
This book is the sequel to Oath Of Swords, which is the first book in the series. Although you can read War God's Own on its own, it's far better to read it after Oath of Swords, as you then will understand how the two main characters (Bahzell and Brandark) have ended up where they are.

War God's Own is just as entertaining as Oath of Swords; I honestly don't know which of the two books I prefer. Of the two, Oath of Swords is funnier, but War God's Own is a little more complicated. Bahzell is now
Jennavier
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time I loved this book with the passionate and insane love that only a teenage girl could experience. As an adult I still think it's great, even if it has some problems.The first half of the book is mostly exposition, the second half a travel narrative, with a bit of twisty war stuff shoved in at the end. It's still a ton of fun and a great example of a fantasy novel from it's time. One thing it does well is tackle really dark issues in a way that feels fairly accurate for their fict ...more
Kelly Flanagan
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book, along with the first in the series actually suprised me by surpassing my expectations by a mile. I would suggest this series to everyone, and it has me intrigued by his other books.
S.A.M
I enjoyed this book more then the first one in the series. It didn't feel quite so long, or as slow. It does deal a fair amount with politics, but nicely spaced out. And I enjoyed the new characters. Especially Vaijon. I could sympathize with him in the beginning of the book. I think he is probably one of the more complex characters. He knows intellectually that he should not feel superior to non noble knights. And he knows intellectually that he shouldn't be prejudice against Bahzell just becau ...more
Tina
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Old Skool sword and destiny fantasy from a writer who normally writes Space Opera/Military sci fi. Early going it felt very much like early Eddings with a nod to Tolkein, but by the time the book kicks into the later half, I hear some of Weber's voice coming through.

This was fun what with Gods fighting it out through man and chosen champions etc. Bahzell makes for an easy protagonist to like and root for.

Looking forward to the sequels.
Elizabeth Harless
Fine Fantasy

Didn't want to put it down. A good job of worldbuilding, with strong well-developed characters. Excellent depiction of the conflicts & stresses when different cultures collide. Eagerly anticipate reading more of the series.
Choko
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Yep, I am still loving this very traditional old-school fantasy series:) The main charterer is enchanting and the story is engaging... Nothing too extraordinary - just a sturdy, pleasant read:)
Michael
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the War God series by David Weber. In this one Bahzell Bahnakson is the new champion of the War God Tomanak. The only problem is that he is a hradani. Worse he is from the Horse Stealer clan. All the other races of man hate the hradani, especially the Horse Stealer clan. He must prove to the other races that the hradani are no longer their enemies while also trying to prevent a war and stop the Dark Gods from loosing demons upon the world. There is more action in this ...more
Douglas Hull
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best series I have read, re-read

As the title says this series is one of my favorites, I bought it in hard bond when it was first published.The story is fun to read and keeps your attention from beginning to end..This is now my six time reading this series.
Pye Josephus Joestar
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! every character is likeable (including the minor ones), the world building is so in depth and the writing is just phenomenal. everything in this book fully immerses you into the world and the main character is just awesome. the combat is so vividly written and the demon is so epic.
Rick Smith
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! Ended up reading them in reverse order, still cant get enough.
Virginia Scherer
Good read

Continues the story well and has interesting plot twists. I enjoy reading it every night before I go to bed.
Keziah Cannon
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful second book in the series. I liked it easily as much or more than the first.
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazon.com Review

David Weber is best known for his Honor Harrington series of science fiction books, but with Oath of Swords he began a lighthearted fantasy saga centered around Bahzell Bahnakson. Bahzell is the reluctant champion of the War God Tomanak (a.k.a. the Sword of Light, the God of Justice, and Captain-General of the Gods of Light) and a member of the Horse Stealer clan hradani. Being a hradani puts Bahzell on a rung of the social ladder somewhere south of deplorable and just west of

Dave Rhoden
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great fun and NOW we have a super heroine added to the cast.
Rena McGee
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it
In this sequel to the Oath of Swords, Bahzell discovers there is more to being a champion of Tomanāk than just wandering around being an paladin. It turns out that champions of Tomanāk are also the commanding officers of the Order of Tomanāk, a fact that the deity in question failed to mention somehow. (Most likely, because it would have been about a million times harder to get Bahzell to join up in the first place.)

Bahzell’s first encounter with the Order is when he meets the probationary knig
Heather
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The War God’s Own is book 2 in the series, and continues the story from Oath of Swords. This book is just as enjoyable as the first. Although there does not seem to be as much action in this book, the story is strong. We are introduced to many new characters in this book that are just as interesting as the original players. Our hero, Bazhell Bahnakson, has finally embraced his calling and is following it wholeheartedly. Joining him are new brothers and sisters in the Order of Tomanāk, as well as ...more
Jasmine
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, high-fantasy
As with the first, and probably more so, I really liked this book. There are a few rough points, but Bahzell seems to have himself more under control. This time, he is having to deal with a lot of outside problems rather than his inner landscape.

My particular favorite part is the growing friendships among the core group in this. There is a scene just as they're about to arrive in his homeland that I loved just for that.

My biggest complaint about the book is that my copy has such freaking small
Kelsey
Sep 24, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A fun high fantasy series told from the point of view of a warrior of a hradani tribe, viewed by humans as, essentially, ogres--not really intelligent, certainly not civilized, best to raid them annually to keep the population down. The fallout when a hradani is chosen as a champion of the War God is interesting. Its fun to read a fantasy novel narrated from such a different perspective, and there is enough description of the cultures and civilizations that they encounter over the course of the ...more
Jami
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, trad-pub, paper
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 2 stars

If I rated books based on world building, this would have a higher score. It's an interesting, complex world. Unfortunately, that's the strongest thing it has going for it. It hits trope after trope, with characters who are rather dull, despite being amazing for their own cultures/people. Add pacing issues into it, and if I hadn't been a captive audience (I was down to reading this or spinning in my chair at work.), I wouldn't have f
Ottox
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I like the good old-fashioned set-up with wizards, gods, different races etc.
But the writing is not the best, characters have little depth or personality, and there is little tension or action - much less than in the first volume of the series.
(view spoiler)
Kellie
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a free e-book and didn't realize this was the 2nd book in a series until I was partway through. I didn't feel like I was missing anything having not read the first book until at least 3/4 of the way through.

In my opinion, it is the best book of this series and well worth the time.Weber does a great job of world building and explaining the rational behind things in a natural way.
Saga
Dec 31, 2008 rated it liked it
An ok read, with enjoyable humor and mildly interesting characters. I liked Bahzell better in the first book, though, as this one brought in some Gary Stu -ish qualities. Perhaps that is only to be expected from the champion of a god, but even so.

The plot could have used some work. It was often too slow-paced and choppy, plagued by insignificant scenes that could have been edited away and replaced with something more interesting.
Jeremy Preacher
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Equally light, entertaining, and aimless as its predecessor, The War God's Own is saved from being a total retread by an accurate, if unsubtle, examination of privilege from inside the head of one so blessed. Several of the loosely-connected excursions are also good fun, and while the last one seems utterly unconnected to the rest of the "plot" of the book (I use the word advisedly,) it does neatly set up the much more coherent sequel.
Greg
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-ebook, fantasy
This book takes off near where the first left off. I liked how our reluctant hero is now longer all the reluctant, but more like resigned to his hero status. In this story, we follow him and his growing group of friends back to his home, during which we follow the world (or at least those he runs into) trying to come to grips and accept this new Champion.
Annette
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, baen-free
Our hero Bahzell may be after having the most annoying verbal tic I can remember reading, but I still can't help but enjoy this sort of stuff. Like its predecessor in the series, it's plain, solid comfort food. Nothing earth-shattering or original, but fun to read for anyone who enjoy castles-and-swords stuff with maybe a Little extra in the way of politics and philosophizing thrown in.
Brad
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought this was a little stronger than the previous book, Oath of Swords. I kept hoping the plot would expand but it stayed simple. Things move along in an almost random fashion with little tie in. Simple but enjoyable.
Terje Fokstuen
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

The third novel in David Weber's fantasy series moves along at a brisk clip, as his hero Bazhell travels across the planet Norfressa along with his friends in service to his God. Excellent world building and a good amount of fast paced sword and sorcery action keep the readers attention. Recommended for fans of Weber and/or fantasy.
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. adding edition 10 117 Mar 18, 2014 07:28AM

• Fortune's Stroke (Belisarius, #4)
  • Pyramid Scheme (Pyramid, #1)
  • An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1)
  • Retief!
  • The Shadow of the Lion (Heirs of Alexandria, #1)
  • Sentry Peak (War Between the Provinces, #1)
  • There Will Be Dragons (The Council Wars, #1)
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Med Ship (Med Service, #1-4)
  • The Creatures of Man
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

War God (5 books)
  • Oath of Swords (War God, #1)
  • Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)
  • War Maid's Choice (War God, #4)
  • The Sword of the South (War God, #5)