Start by marking “Fix-It Duck” as Want to Read:
Fix-It Duck

Fix-It Duck

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  494 ratings  ·  60 reviews
A leaking roof? A window stuck? These are jobs for... Fix-It Duck!

He's got his tools. He's smart-he's strong. What can possibly go wrong?

But Duck is up to his old tricks. Now who'll end up in a fix?

Jez Alborough's inimitable Duck first appeared in Duck in the Truck.
Hardcover, 1st U.S. ed., 40 pages
Published March 26th 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published September 3rd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Fix-It Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fix-It Duck

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Fix-It Duck
Jo
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I love children's picture books , particularly rhyming ones. Fix it Duck is beautifully illustrated and wile the story was a simple tale it wasn;t brilliant. A mediocre 3 stars.
Denise
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: week-7
Text-to-Self-Connection

Every time Fix it Duck sets out to help his friends with minor repairs one simple project turns into another then another. This colorful picture book uses rhyming words as Duck encounters one problem after the other until he realizes the real source of the problem. Fix it Duck reminds me of my husband because in my house small projects almost always become bigger projects. My response activity for this book would be to have my students complete a story map to identify the
Elma Branigan
“Fix-it Duck” by Jez Alborough.

This book is about Duck who has a passion for fixing things but when he is on the job, the trouble just begins. Duck decides that not only can he fix his own leaking roof but sheep, goat and frog could also benefit from his DIY expertise. Of course by the time Duck has lent a hand to his friends, they are left requiring even more repair work than they did in the first place. Duck has just presumed that his leaking roof is a result of the rain but could it be that
Mel Jennings
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book, with really bright, colourful illustrations. Great to read aloud to a whole class, in small groups or with an individual. This book using rhyming words at the end of each line that enables the listener to be able to join in with the reader. I used this book whilst doing a class topic theme on crazy construction and the children really did engage with the story. The book focuses on a duck who tries to fix a leak which he thinks is in the roof. The story continues with the duck ...more
Aimee Walters-Mabbott
I love these books! I used to read them to my younger siblings but I also did a book study of Fix It Duck as part of my Child Development GCSE, exploring the vocabulary and the illustrations helped me get a high grade! Definitely a book to share with foundation stage and to do some role play around!
Hilary
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-toddler
Ha! Daddy claimed the privilege of reading this one first. A wonderful catastrophe in the making, all from Fix-It Duck.
Laura Brandon
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A funny story about a Duck who has terrible luck. Perfect for exploring rhyme (including varied graphemes for the same phonemes) and the effect this has
Jamie
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Jez Alborough as an author. He has a series with the same duck in them and I like all them and they have really good rhymes. They flow really well too. This one is cute. He takes a bath before the writing starts and then he goes downstairs to drink some tea/coffee/something in a cup and there's a drip. So he decides it's a job for "Fix-it Duck". So he goes outside and decides to patch his roof, but he can't get there. So he decides he needs a ladder... He goes to borrow a ladder ...more
Lynn  Davidson
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightfully funny rhyming book with gorgeous illustrations.
Charles Fellows
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favourites!
Sarah Oswalt
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
My favorite part of this book was when fuck was trying to help but he just made it worse. I would use this book to teach my students how to help each other
This one would work for an older crowd that would get the humor. I thought it was just meh and won't be using it with my preschoolers.
Jenna Mills
Amusing
Ashwini Baranwal
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tiny, tiny-2, tinies
Before the story starts, on the first page, there's a picture that shows, the duck walking in the bathroom. My 3YO immediately said 'she(duck) has a duck in her bathtub'.
I asked how can you tell it's a lady and not a man. I got the reply, "She looks like a lady."
Very soon the confusion was sorted, and I strongly felt the writer should have made the character to a lady duck. Later, looking at the hilarious odd events and problem solving skills in this story, I was glad that the duck is a male.
Evelyn Saidov
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-l-307
FICTION 2001
This was a very sweet book that I enjoyed. It could be used in a classroom to promote problem solving, friendship, and teamwork.
Camille Rivera
Duck has a leak in his roof and in his attempt to fix it, he ends up causing disaster: first he smashes Sheep's window and rain starts coming in, then looses Sheep's house in his attempt to bring it to Goat's which rolls into a pond. Finally, Duck finds out his leak is actually because he forgot to turn his bathwater off. I loved this book! The illustrations are so unique and are done in almost a comic style. I also love the Duck character and how he never really got a break. It's humorous and ...more
Alborough, Jez. Fix- It Duck. (2001)

Annotation:Duck has a leak in his house so her goes to Sheep's to get a ladder, but Sheep has a problem with his window. So Duck tries to fix it and only makes it worse. Everywhere Duck goes he messes things up.

Themes: ways to help, farm animals, good choices

Ways to use with children: you could predict what will happen next by looking at the illustrations

Recommended ages:5-9
This is a duck who thinks he can fix breaks and leaks with his tools, but he just makes things worse, resulting in a funny story of one problem leading to the next, and a clueless duck. This story has repetition, with Fix-It duck trying to come to the rescue, and also uses rhyming words to keep the flow of the story going. This will have kids laughing out loud at duck’s mistakes and the resulting trouble he causes.

Ages 2-6
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, ducks, repair, rain, sheep
Duck's tea is ruined when a leaky roof allows some rain to plop in his cup. He immediately puts on his Fix-It persona and sets out to stop the leak. He needs a ladder so goes to Sheep to get one, and in the process ends up breaking Sheep's window while trying to "fix it." So he tries to fix that by hauling Sheep's trailer to a dry place only to have it come unhitched from the truck and go barreling into the lake.

Really fun, goofy illustrations.
Kristin Miller
Fix it Duck is on a mission to help his friend Sheep to fix his leaking window, but everything he needs to do doesn't go the way he planned now Duck has more than just Sheep's window to fix.

This was a cute book, would be great for Kindergarten and first graders. It has rhymes in it and it has a fun catchy story. I would use it for a fun reading time in my classroom but wouldn't use it in a lesson.
Stacia
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I usually don't add children's books to my bookshelves, because that would take up a lot of room. But I love this book so much I had to recommend it to others. It has a good rhyme, which I think makes it easier to read, and at the end had me smiling with a little laugh. Now, that's impressive, I think. I'm looking forward to reading more of Jez Alborough's books to my kids.
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, kidlit
Continuing the series of "Duck" books, this time Duck's misadventures involve trying to repair broken objects and making things worse in the process. Forced rhyme is my biggest complaint, BUT these are good books for phonics practice. The repetition of "fix it, Duck" encourages interaction so it makes a decent read aloud for grade 1.
Mary
The children love to yell "Fix It Duck". There is a good lesson in friendship in this book. Duck kind of messes things up, but his friends stick with him in the end. He also really believed that he could fix his friends problems. He was a little helter skelter about his work tactics, but all ends well. This story sends an important message of helping and forgiving.
Ubalstecha
A very silly, wonderful story of a duck who isn't as good a handyman as he thinks he is. A rhyming comedy of errors unfolds as duck inflicts his lack of skills on his neighbour sheep. Kids love the bright illustrations.
Nikki
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone. Especially those with kids.
This book is cute and clever. It has a great rhythm and is quite amusing. The illustrations are well-done. It has a unique comic-strip feel to it. My kids LOVE this book. I read it to my son's Kindergarten class last year and they loved it, too.
Hannah Guerra
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-261
Fix It Duck is a fun picture book for pre-school aged kids. It follows Fix it Duck, an accident prone duck who tries desperately hard to fix things, but just keeps screwing them up more. It has a theme of accepting everyone and their differences.
Kam Yung Soh
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A fun book to read to kids about a duck who thinks he can fix things but should know better.

Make sure to use your 'Panic-voice' when sheep beats "HELP" as his poor mobile home flies through the air.
Anna
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 2 year loves it! When it gets to "this is a job for..." he ends the sentence "...fix it duck!" and put his hands on his hips, like a little superhero. Super cute.
Jennifer Heise
My five year old giggled at this,with Duck's "fixes" leading to more and more troubles.
Sydney West
This is a fun book that can be used to teach students about sequencing. It can also be easily used to discuss comprehension questions.

• Beegu
  • How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)
  • Owl Babies
  • Stuck
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • Up and Down (The Boy, #4)
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • Winnie at the Seaside
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters
  • The Day the Crayons Quit
  • Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • The Night Pirates
  • Farmer Duck
  • Elmer
  • Peace At Last
  • Winnie the Witch
Jez is the author and illustrator of 48 books for children. In 2018 he published The Story of 'You' his first book for adults, the first in a series called Life Beyond Personality. He says: "We enter this world as pure Oneness, (what I call our ‘original state of Being’) but we lose this as we become identified with our Personality. In that identification, the Stillness and Love of our Original ...more