Start by marking “Sleep Is for Everyone” as Want to Read:
Sleep Is for Everyone

Sleep Is for Everyone (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Why do you get sleepy?

When you feel tired, your body is telling you that it needs a rest. Everyone needs sleep. Babies need lots of sleep. Grown-ups need less. But no one can go without sleep for long. A team of scientists stayed awake for as long as they could to see what could happen. Read and find out some wide-eyed facts about the science of shut-eye.
Published April 11th 1997 by HarperCollins (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep Is for Everyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep Is for Everyone

Seung Lee
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I love these series because it gives the kids some nonfiction books to look at in a world so full of fiction. Sleep is such an important part of life (we spend 20 to 40 percent of our lives doing it), so it is good to understand its benefits, especially for children.
SaraKat
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
An explanation of sleep for young readers. It includes some interesting facts and I liked the mention of the scientists experimenting on themselves. The pictures were nice and it looks like a fun book read as a bedtime story.
Evelyn Matias
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
This book is cute. Many children fight going to bed at night and this is a great way to teach them that every living thing cats, dogs, snakes, cows, all need their rest and so do people. I like the way they add in about the scientists wanting to know what happens if you don't sleep and they end up falling asleep too. It teaches children that you can't fight it and in order to be healthy and strong and on task you need to get your rest. I would use this with my younger grades but also in my own h ...more
Katrina Kim
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, ece-3601
* Helps motivate children to sleep

Content:
- Physical Health (body/brain)
- Importance of sleep
- Naps
- Comparison of humans & animals sleep patterns

Students: Pre-k through 1st grade
* Simple and understandable text for children

The comparison of humans and animals can be done through a graphic organizer (venn diagram/ t-chart)

Discuss how scientists have experimented and studied sleep
Kellee Hao
Content: Physical Health
Grade:1st
Sleep! What child doesn't like to nap when their brain gets tired? Well, most children do, but do they know about how sleeping is essential to the body and the brain? This book relates sleep from animals to humans and how each species sleep. I bet after a child reads this book, they'll see why sleep is even there in the first place. Maybe then children can appreciate it when their parents tell them to go to sleep!
Hannah Snelling
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Animals go to bed and so do we. We need sleep, but why? This book answers why people need sleep and how much sleep we need. It makes going to sleep logical instead of a battle! This is great for Pre-K through 1st grade as students learn why they need sleep and how it improves their attitudes and education.
Brigid Keely
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Sleep is for Everyone" is a book about sleep for kids, part of a series of science books for kids. It's simple and direct, easy to understand, and leads to further questions. The text is engaging and easy to follow and the illustrations are attractive and fun. My 3 year old is very charmed by this book and I look forward to reading more books in the series.
Ealthafer
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very interesting and I actually learned a lot from it. The story is really good at explaining the importance of sleep in a simple language that children can understand. This book would be really good to read to students for a science class because it talks about how scientists have experimented with sleep so students can see that.
Alicia Zuern
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked this book because of the title. I love my sleep and the title says sleep is for everyone. I actually learned a few things from this book. I learned how some animals sleep. For example I did not know that and elephant can sleep standing up.
Cornelius
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-books
For kindergarten children, I would use this book in the classroom to show children the different ways that animals sleep, for example, some animals sleep standing up, with their eyelids down, with their eyelids up, and sleep sitting down. In addition, explain to children the importance of sleep.
Erin
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book teaches children the importance of sleep. It explains what our body does when we sleep and why our body needs rest. The story also discusses what happens when people do not get enough sleep.
Good Gu
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I feel tired and sad. I want to go to sleep now.
Ashlee
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This fun loving story teaches children why sleep is important. I enjoyed the book, would reccomend it for students in K-2 grades. Very colorful!
Phyllis
our edition has art by Wendy Watson.
Olson Family Matters
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-k-science
Not the most informative, but Madelyn enjoyed. Glad it pointed out that little ones need more sleep than adults - because Madelyn has constantly been asking about that lately!
Thehobbit
Jul 03, 2014
Violet B
Feb 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1 (1 - 10 of 95 books)
  • How Many Teeth?
  • I Can Tell by Touching
  • I'm Growing!
  • Look At Your Eyes
  • My Feet
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • My Hands (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • On the Move
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • Baby Whales Drink Milk