Start by marking “The Mandel Files” as Want to Read:
The Mandel Files

The Mandel Files

(Greg Mandel #1-2)

CONTAINS TWO COMPLETE NOVELS!

For the first time in a single volume, Peter F. Hamilton’s acclaimed novels—Mindstar Rising and A Quantum Murder—set in a near-future so real it seems ripped from tomorrow’s headlines

In Mindstar Rising, Greg Mandel, gifted—or cursed—with biotechnology that makes him a living lie detector, is hired to investigate corporate espionage by Event Horizon, a powerful comandnovels—Mindstar/>For
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Mandel Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mandel Files

Start your review of The Mandel Files
Chip
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, enjoyed this mystery set in a near future. Enough science fiction to keep it in the genre, but as much a mystery series than anything. This newly published work combining "Mindstar Rising" and "Quantum Murder" is a good way to purchase these older Hamilton stories. I enjoyed "Mindstar Rising" more, finding it more of a science fiction read, where as "Quantum Murder" took the setting and science described in the earlier work and built upon it to tell a more pure murder mystery. Obviously ...more
Micah Sisk
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mindstar Rising 4 stars, A Quantum Murder 3 stars ... so 3.5 total for this two-book collection.

I like and have read quite a few Hamilton's books, and quite a lot of those by Ken MacLeod, so I know their "voices" fairly well. Or I thought I did. These two early works by Hamilton, though, sound a lot more like MacLeod's voice. I kept forgetting who I was reading!

As others have said, these are more mystery/detective than action adventure SF. Mindstar Rising is particularly good
Sparky
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like everything else I’ve read by Peter F. Hamilton, this 2-book set gets 5 stars. I haven’t read much crime/mystery, and I don’t dig on crime TV shows. I guess you could call these crime/mystery stories, and I really enjoyed them. Greg, Eleanor, and Julia are characters I would be happy to read about time and time again. I’m putting some other books on hold to move on to the 3rd book (the 2nd volume) of The Mandel Files right now. Thank you again, Mr. Hamilton.
Lew
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read and enjoyed a lot Peter Hamilton's Space Opera books. I could see glimpses of Commonwealth characters in some of the characters in these first two Mandel stories. Even though I enjoyed these two stories, I'm glad Peter Hamilton switched to his Commonwealth universe of stories.
Kevin Leslie
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two very interesting ideas

I can skip the descriptions of what everyone is wearing, but truely enjoyed the idea of personality injection and seeing into the past, both great "big ideas" to build an exciting mystery around.
gradedog
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was really two novels. Mindstar Rising and A Quantum Murder. I enjoyed the heck out of both. Part sci-if, part mystery, part noir detective, part cyberpunk with all parts fitting together quite nicely.
Sherry Minkus
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I wasn't sure about this but then I got caught up in the characters and the action. In the end, I couldn't put it down!
Beverly Fuqua
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Told you I was gonna read more Peter Franklin.
Sigrun
Just pleased there are still SF books that capture attention.
Gregg
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books were good. I am not sure I will read them again, but then again, I am not sure that was the intention of them. They were suspenseful mysteries with plenty of action and characters. I appreciated the starkly different plots between the books while keeping the same characters. I would say these are more suspense/mystery and less sci-fi, but I liked that.
astaliegurec
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter F. Hamilton's "The Mandel Files, Volume 1" is a compendium of the first two books in his "Mandel Files" trilogy. Because I've rated these two books before, I'll start with copying in my reviews for those books here. I'll add a bit afterward:

The three books in Peter F. Hamilton's Greg Mandel series were written before his "Night's Dawn" series. I'm not certain of this, but they seem to occur in the same universe as that series, just at a MUCH earlier time. Regardless, this serie
Frank
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a book set in a near future Earth slowly emerging from a gray ages after a serious but not catastrophic environmental upheaval caused by global warming. Britian is now a tropical island, subject to frequent hyper-violent hurricanes.

The book contains two stories of approximately novella length set in this universe. They are unconventional crime mysteries revolving around Greg Mandel, a former specops soldier who has been biologically modified with a psi-enhancing "gland" that gives him a
Edward Lazellari
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who liked Snow Crash, Hardwire, Neuromancer
Recommended to Edward by: Suvudu
This is a true sci-fi story. Set in the near future, Hamilton's constructs are familiar enough that we can all see ourselves living in such a society. It was written in the 1990s, and it's amazing (and scary) to see how close we're getting to this vision.
Though the characters are two-dimensional, it's the good kind, with just enough information about them to move the plot along and not detract from the world Hamilton paints. This story is more about ideas than the characters, about the abuse of
Ron Morgan
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished the 2nd novel of the omnibus, "A Quantum Murder". Greg Mandel is a pretty fun detective to follow, and this time around he gets into a bit more action-packed trouble, with most of the main players from the first novel returning. Again, this is one of Hamilton's early works, and the "sci-fi" is kept to a minimum, though fantastic in nature. This is a pretty cool sci-fi detective series set in the not too distant future, and unlike Hamilton's more recent epic space-opera work it is very e ...more
D
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a real toss up between 2 and 3 stars.

Note that this was my first techno thriller novels. And... I do plan on reading the final Greg Mandel installment, The Nano Flower. I just have to find out what happens to the embarassingly juvenile Julia Evans.

This book is actually the 1st 2 of the novels, crammed together. It was NOT a bad read, but techno thrillers are just not my thing. I don't agonize over who could have done it.

The first book completely lacked
Peter
A Two novel re-issue of Hamilton's 1990 novels involving Greg mandel...a biologically altered empath in a post apocolyptic( Environmental...the great warming) Britain. Lots of nice touches here...The Trinities vs the PSP...the New Conservatives...the various play-oofs and pay-offs of dealing with a disintegrating world and the purely pro-business nature of the story arc...I do like the hacker element of the two novels. Speculative fiction always run the risk of seeming dated and there are elemen ...more
Rob Trans
This is two complete novels in one. The first is better than the second. I enjoyed the first, but the second was even more draggy and seemed unfocused in places.

Typical of this author. Good characterizations, interesting plot. Author is enamored of the universe he has created and seems to include little descriptions that are only marginally related to the plot. He could use a better editor.

I'm done with this author for a long time.
Straker
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
I only managed to get through the first novel in this collection, Mindstar Rising. It was a tedious slog, full of technobabble and tiresome cliches that borrowed heavily from both the super-spy and hard-boiled detective genres. It's vastly inferior to Hamilton's later space opera fiction. I may get around to reading the second novel, or maybe not.
Binky Bowberg
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Two fun techno-thriller, sci-fi, mysteries. I enjoyed both Mindstar Rising and A Quantum Murder for the action ,and the ongoing character development. I look forward to more of Greg Mandel and his psi- ability crime solving, and the continued growth of Julia Evans as her story unfolds in The Nano Flower.
Tamahome
Grr. My bookstore won't have til 8/23.

p 16 - it is good to be an esper

P 88 - Spaaaaaace!

EDIT:

p 171/467 (1st novel) - consciousness uploading :) This is also a 'post global warming' novel.

I have to wonder why these 2 novels were reprinted as one book. Is a 467 page novel just too low a profit margin, or do they think it won't sell as much?
Clemens
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Two books in one.

The first one is a bit bumpy read, a rough ride, although not bad overall, not on the level I am used from Peter F. Hamilton. So 2/5

But, the second book is way better, with a compelling story line, thought nothing really over the top, but enough to get a 4/5

Overall I give a 4/5, especially because for the second book
Chris
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hamilton Fans, Near-future techno thriller junkies
I enjoyed the two books in one. But I'm a Hamilton fan. Despite his tendency toward verbosity, these read quite quickly. Technothriller is the right label for these stories. The setting is near-future Earth, which I think is a neat contrast to the settings in his Commonwealth and Void books.
Daryl Clarke
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Peter Hamilton's operatic/epic style. His heroes are larger than life which makes for larger than life stories. The tech ideas are a little dated but very well done. Cyber/psi punk at its best.
Annie
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
While Peter F. Hamilton is an author on my to-read list, I found myself skipping pages at the end of the book. A series I would still complete, it was difficult initially to really get into the storyline as I needed to learn the slang peculiar to the series.
Jim-mike
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is two books combined into one massive read. Both books were pretty good -- the first being a little better than the second. Both are sort of sci-fi murder/mystery books. Hamilton is a bit long winded, but the plot is interesting enough to keep things moving.
Rachel
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the book started off slow and confusing so i put it down. i picked it back up when i had nothing else to read and glad i did. shortly in, the book did pick up and got really good.
Tim Famulak
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Early hamiton

Good read, see where Hamilton had early skills in developing a future world, with full characters and a twisting plot keeping you interested til the end
Andres Camacho
Dec 08, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm halfway through. Its ok, typical Hamilton style.
Brian Richardson
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear action-packed prose with an interesting character. Mandel is surprisingly down-to-earth considering he's psychic. Normally I'm not a fan of psychic stuff in my scifi but it works here.
Marlan
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this older book. My favorite this year.

• The Quantum Magician
  • The Chaos Chronicles, Books 1-3 (Chaos Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Permafrost
  • Machine City (Detective Barnes, #2)
  • A Price Too High (The Frontiers Saga: Part 2: Rogue Castes, #12)
  • Mission: Critical
  • Skywave (The Rorschach Explorer Missions, #1)
  • The Angriest Angel (The Angriest Angel #1)
  • The Emancipation Pattern (The Angriest Angel #2)
  • Pillars of Amorum (The Angriest Angel #3)
  • Kastel Awan Burung Gereja (Samurai, #1)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • Breaking Gravity
  • Off Planet (Aunare Chronicles, #1)
  • Cursed (Schooled in Magic #17)
  • Pushing Ice
  • The Body in the Castle Well (Bruno, Chief of Police #12)
  • Tau Zero
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.

Greg Mandel (3 books)
  • Mindstar Rising (Greg Mandel, #1)
  • A Quantum Murder (Greg Mandel, #2)
  • The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel, #3)
“contumacy.” 0 likes
“He didn’t rate a wave this time; she simply stood watching him drive off, looking small and sad. He folded the rear-view mirror’s image up and tucked it away in a corner of his mind. The last thing he needed now was any more guilt rattling round inside his skull.” 0 likes