Start by marking “Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5)” as Want to Read:
Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5)

Haunted

(Otherworld #5)

The afterlife isn’t all it’s cracked up to be…

Former supernatural superpower Eve Levine has broken all the rules. But she’s never broken a promise—not even during the three years she’s spent in the afterworld. So when the Fates call in a debt she gave her word she’d pay, she has no choice but to comply.

For centuries one of the ghost world’s wickedest creatures has been loo
Mass Market Paperback, 495 pages
Published May 31st 2005 by Bantam Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Haunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted

Start your review of Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5)
Choko
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
*** 4 ***

I am not at all a fan of ghost stories - they give me the creeps somehow and I usually just don't put myself through that. I had no idea this was going to be one of those and had my reservations once I figured it out, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The main point of view is of Eve, the dead mother of our Savannah, who has been spending her life as a supernatural ghost mostly loitering around Savannah's house and wishing she could find a way to communicate with her. For the fans of
valee
Sep 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I had some problems with this installment as it has been happening to me with the last books I have read in this series, specifically the very same thing that happened to me with book 4. First half of the book boring and very VERY slow. Many times I just wanted to stop with the book and read something else, but then the second half of the book was so amazing that it only took me 4 hours to read it,lol.

But first I think the most important thing is to answer this question: Is it necessary to read
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“Your one and possibly only chance to get the answer to every question in the universe, and you’ll ask, ‘Why are bats furry?”

A good book but my least favorite so far. I'm just not feeling Eve as much as I did the other heroines. She's definitely a tough cookie but she doesn't have the softer, blended layers Elena and Paige did. Her attitude is rather one-dimensional. Her relationship with Kris is sweet but I again don't feel the draw to the couple I have with the others.

The Fates are interest
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[2.5/5 stars] Haunted is my least favorite WotO book to date. I liked the main character and how she tied into the series as a whole, but I can't say that I enjoyed the story that much. First off, it was a bit too erratic, bouncing around from weird place to weirder place so often that I never really felt grounded in the story. Granted, it takes place primarily in the afterlife where the "rules" of what's possible are a lot more flexible, but it was actually the main murder mystery plotline that ...more
Tatiana
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Women of the Otherworld series
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2010
"Haunted" is the 5th Women of the World novel and this time narrated by Eve Levine. You might remember Eve as Savannah's half-demon/witch mother who died before the events of the 2nd book in the series "Stolen." In this story Eve is called upon by Fates to pay back their favor by hunting down the Nix - a demon who invades human bodies, compels them to commit atrocities and feeds on the chaos that follows.

Considering that Eve is a ghost and roams the afterlife world, you can understand why I was
DarkHeart "Vehngeance"
I put off reading this book, and therefore continuing with the series, because I wasn't convinced that I would find Eve an appealing enough character to want to read an entire book centered around her - I'm happy to have discovered those concerns were unfounded. Eve made an endearing mother to Savannah and an amusing and caring partner for Kristof (who I was also unconvinced about going in).

Although it wasn't a short book, the story felt fast paced and never dragged. The Nix was an interesting a
Jamieson
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In the fifth installment of the best selling “Women of the Otherworld” series, we are treated to a new narrator. Armstrong, who never does the same thing twice, gave us a Werewolf as the narrator for the first two books in the series: “Bitten” and ”Stolen.“ Then she switched focus to a Witch in “Dime Store Magic” and “Industrial Magic.“ Now, the focus changes once more and in ”Haunted,“ we are introduced to Eve Levine: former witch and supernatural super power, now a ghost.

Eve Levine first appea
Megan
How is it that by my fifth book in Kelly Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series I am in love with her world building, but still not totally connected to her characters? The amazing thing about Armstrong is that she creates such in depth and believable paranormal worlds (in this case an afterlife.)

Haunted follows the story of Eve Levine, by now everyone reading this series knows she is a half-demon black witch, who also happens to have been dead for the past three years. But while reading th
Wren (fablesandwren)
I love Eve. I don't relate to her as much as I do Paige, but I do in the sense that I don't always see the "nice" or "good" way to do something as the most logical solution.

Eve is dead.

As you would know if you have read the previous books. If you haven't then STOP READING THIS AND MOVE ON TO THE FIRST BOOK AND WORK YOUR WAY BACK. There is a reason why it is the FIFTH BOOK IN THE SERIES.

Anyway,

Eve is OBSESSED with trying to protect her daughter Savannah. Which is normal for a mother. The only pro
Kat
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Basic Plot: What happened to Eve Levine after she was murdered (offstage, so to speak) in the novel Stolen? Well, she turned into a ghost. After irritating the Fates, they assign her to a job catching a demon who escaped from hell.

This book was about twice as long as it needed to be. There were endless sections of the book dealing with red herrings that dragged the plot into a swampy morass of endless NOTHING. The book took me almost a month to read. Ridiculous. The plot did pick up at the end,
Steven
This one was tough for me, and I'm not sure why. I don't dislike Eve. I don't dislike Kristof. I really liked the concept and execution of the Nix... but this book just felt all over the place, and honestly, it was hard to believe that the "bad Kristof" and the "dark witch Eve" were so completely good guys in the afterlife.

Not sure what to say. Since I kinda liked it, I'll give it three stars. It was average at best, especially compared to the first four in the series. Excited to read another E
~Sofia~
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haunted – Kelley Armstrong

Oh Wow. I love this series, it’s got the right amount of mystery and action and I love the way the series moves on with different characters. In this book, which is the fifth, it is written in the first person as are the others only this time we experience the life of the notorious half demon/ half witch Eve Levine.

Since learning of Eve I have always thought what a bad ass woman she is and I am so happy that we get to hear things from her point of view. Eve is now my f
Pam Nelson
Well let’s see, I liked the book but didn’t love it.
I don’t know if the whole ghost thing has me scratching my head. Or if it is the portals the dimensions I don’t know. I just know that this isn’t my favorite of the series so far.

Eve isn’t really a character I wanted to know more about, that could have also been why I didn’t really connect with her. I did think the narrator was a great Eve. I see her as a lot older than Paige and as I said before I didn’t think she sounded like Paige’s age.

I
Heather
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Sadly, this is my least favourite in the series thus far. I was excited about the refreshing perspective of battling evil from Heaven, or an alternative dimension, but this one fell flat for me. I found Eve to be uninteresting and one dimensional. Don’t even get me started on how annoying and uninteresting the Nix was.

Hoping the next one is more to my liking!
Siobhan
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haunted is the fifth book in Kelley Armstrong’s wonderful Women of the Otherworld series. If I’m being completely honest, however, it’s my least favourite book in the series thus far. It was more of a three-point-five star read, with my bias towards the overall series being the reason I rounded up.

The first two books in the series followed a werewolf, the third and fourth books in the series followed the witching world, and this fifth book takes us even deeper into the afterlife we were introduc
❄️✨ Kat ✨❄️
This 5th installment in the series takes place in Eve's perspective, who is a ghost living in the ghost world. At first, she is trying adamantly to watch over her daughter and wants so badly to be a part of that world. Then, the Fates call her in and give her a mission; she must stop the Nix, a demi-demon who has been entering bodies and convincing them to carry out sins they are too nervous to commit without her help. She has a couple partners for this mission: the angel Trsiel, as well as Kris ...more
Oct 03, 2008 rated it liked it
This is the 6th book in the Women of the Otherworld series and it was the weakest one in the series I thought. I expected this book to center around Jamie the necromancer and instead it was focused on Eve - Savanah's mother who died a few books back.

The entire story was basically a story of Eve's redemption. She was a "bad witch" in the previous stories and when she was killed she went to some supernatural death realm where she obsessed over her daughter Savanah. The Fate's decided to give her
Aimee
It's not that there was any one specific thing wrong with this book. I just couldn't connect with Eve. I'm pretty sure it's my own biases...I love Elena....can't bring myself to like someone else in this series.

It took everything I had to read Paige's books...and I actually LIKED her. I can't say the same for Eve. I only made it about 85 pgs before I gave up.
I'm going to pick this one up again at a later date and give it another chance. Ms. Armstrong is a great writer and this is no exceptio
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

We have come to book five in the Women of the Otherworld series and Armstrong has now shifted her focus to Eve Levine, the half demon black witch who seems to scare the hell out of everyone...even after she has died. Of course, the afterlife isn't exactly what Eve expected, but it isn't so bad, especially as she can watch over her daughter Savannah, even if she can't do anything. But, the Fates have a task for her, capture the demi demon Nix that is wreaking havoc on the human world, but ang
Celine
Apr 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether you like the Women of the Otherworld series or not, one thing is certain; the books all have something that makes them unique. The most intriguing aspect of this book was our new narrator: Eve Levine.

What makes Eve so special is that she's dead, and has been dead quite a while now. She's a ghost, living in the supernatural plane. She can visit the world of the living, but she is unable to actually influence anything there. She is ripped from her obsessing over her 15-year-old still livin
Alyssa Nelson
Eve has always been an interesting character to me, and was made even more so from the last book, where we meet her in the ghost world and she helps Paige. So, I was happy when I found out that the next book in the series followed her as a main character. She’s the sort of badass heroine who takes an incredibly pragmatic approach to situations; she sets her own moral standards and lives by her own rules. If a person is a bad person, kill them. Killing isn’t morally justified? Says who? That’s so ...more
Jen Davis
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
No one can accuse Kelley Armstrong of taking the easy road. Imagine a book where the heroine is dead. She's been dead, in fact, for three years. Her love interest is dead too. He died at 47 with a paunchy belly and thinning hair. Oh, and they both have a reputation for being evil. That's the short version of Eve Levine and Kristof Nash. But there is so much more to the story than what you see at first glance.

Both Eve and Kristof exist in one of many ghostly planes. Kris is eager to renew the lov
Luke
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Haunted more than I thought I would... And I loved Eve more than I thought I would...

I forgot how long ago, and I don't know why, but I took a break from this series after reading Industrial Magic. I don't remember what influenced me to return to the series now, of all times, but why the hell didn't I come back to it sooner?!

I didn't really know much about Eve, aside from the fact that she was Savannah's mother, that she was half-witch, half-demon, and that she was...well, dead. So it w
Lauren
Haunted
3 Stars

As a half-demon / half-witch, Eve Levine lived her life in the fast lane with little care for the consequences of her actions. Now that she is dead, not much has changed. When the Fates call in a favor, Eve agrees to hunt down and capture an evil spirit wrecking havoc on the living world, but things aren’t as easy as they seem and Eve will have to call on all her resources if she is to outwit the tricky Nix…

Good world building as always and an entertaining plot, but Eve is not a li
Cathy
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been long enough since the last book for me to remember very little about these characters. I could have done with some more background info, what happened before this. Why is Kristof not angry with Eve for what she pulled with their daughter? And I miss Elena, my main reason for reading this series. Still, good writing, believable characters and good plot, if you like ghosts, witches and demons... Good world building, too. But the story dragged a lot. This was way too long. Any suspense wa ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
The notorious Eve Levine gets recruited to be an angel. Who'da thunk it?

Not me, that's for dang sure.

The wonderful thing about dealing with the subject of the afterlife it that the sky is the limit. Nothing is too far-fetched or fantastical.

If dead supes want to play at being pirates, who is going to stop them?

If you want to erase the memories of evil (serial killer-type) men before banishing them to hell-worlds, with no one but other evil men (to prevent further serial killing), who is going
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
Bit of an odd instalment to the series. I did enjoy it but it was very random (due to it focusing on the supernatural afterlife), and I had a few problems with the ending. I guess I was also hoping that Eve would be a bit... darker as a character? She wasn't as much of a twisted badass as I was hoping considering her history. She seemed no better or worse than the other female leads in the series.
Still gobbled this up very quickly and enjoyed it though. Bring on the next book!
Gina
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one. Plenty of suspense and intrigue, and I like Eve's attitude. She makes for a strong woman, dead or alive. I thought the ending was perfect!
Angela H.
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
The story is about Eve (Savannah mother) in the afterlife. In the previous book, Eve offered herself to free Lucas/Paige from the afterlife.

I felt like this book was odd yet fitting. Eve is united with Kristoff && the past, undying love is rekindled. The afterlife (limbo) is expressed as a community of ghosts who are trying to let go of their past human life. Eve takes on a mission that is perilous yet adventurous that leads to heroism and angelhood.
**** [To not reveal spoilers] Read the book
Setting 1 2 Sep 19, 2017 08:02AM
Vampires, Weres a...: Haunted 4 11 Aug 16, 2016 10:54AM

• Dates from Hell
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Sabotaged (Sundance, #3)
  • The Awakening: Fate in Motion
  • Darkness Rising (Dark Angels, #2)
  • Extinction Code
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • Angel Town (Jill Kismet, #6)
  • Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)
  • Conspiracy of Ravens (Raven Crawford, #1)
  • Darkness Devours (Dark Angels, #3)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Heaven's Spite (Jill Kismet, #5)
  • American Demon (The Hollows, #14)
  • Micah (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #13)

Otherworld (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Bitten (Otherworld, #1)
  • Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2)
  • Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3)
  • Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4)
  • Broken (Women of the Otherworld, #6)
  • No Humans Involved (Women of the Otherworld, #7)
  • Personal Demon (Women of the Otherworld, #8)
  • Living with the Dead (Women of the Otherworld, #9)
  • Frostbitten (Women of the Otherworld, #10)
  • Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, #11)

News & Interviews

“You'll wrest a burning sword from an angel, but you're afraid of bats?"
"I'm not afraid of them. I just don't like them. They're...furry. Flying things shouldn't be furry. It's not right. And if I ever meet the Creator, I'm taking that one up with him."
"That I'd like to see. Your one and possible only chance to get the answer to every question in the universe, and you ask, 'Why are bats furry?'"
"I will. You just wait.”
236 likes
“A G-Rated story? About taking some deformed baby and locking him up? And if it was true, and this poor guy had been locked up in there for decades, and someone threw in a perfectly good woman, what the hell do you think he'd do with her? Play Parcheesi?” 50 likes