Start by marking “The Backwoods” as Want to Read:
The Backwoods

The Backwoods

A hideous evil stalks the backwoods of a small town, leaving fear and bodies in its wake.
Published October 2005 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about The Backwoods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backwoods

Start your review of The Backwoods
Dan Schwent
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Note: I was unable to finish this book. It may have gotten better.

According to the back of the book, this is the story of a woman returning to the backwater town she grew up in for her brother-in-law's funeral and discovering something sinister. I made it to the 100 page mark before I decided to abandon it for greener pastures.

"But Dan, why did you abandon it? You've toughed out some pretty bad books!" you say.

Well, this is allegedly a horror novel and not one mildly horrifying thing happened in
Glenn Rolfe
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great Edward Lee book. Full of in your face sex and horror. Lee doesn't mess around. I found this story completely engaging. Fantastic characters (even the awful ones). Not for the average horror reader, but splatterpunk and Lee fans will LOVE it.
Evans Light
Well color me surprised. This was not the amazing, twisted Edward Lee book I imagined it would be.
Guess maybe I should listen to those reviews a little more, huh?
I really hoped they were wrong.
But nope.
I was.
The ony thing that kept this book from being a one star review was the writing. It was pretty decent most of the time, with the exception of some strange narrative intrusions here and there.
The set up for the story seemed pretty solid, but holy crap...what a lifeless plot. Zero narrative ten
Angel Gelique
Done at last! I can't believe how long it took me to get through this book. I thought I'd be giving it two stars, but it picked up a bit towards the end.

-----

I had been looking forward to trying an Edward Lee book, but I'm not too sure that I selected the right one. Maybe it was my mindset but I couldn't get into this one at all, really, until the final twenty-five percent or so (and possibly because I was excited to be so close to finally finishing)! Seriously, this book took over alm
Kristen
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Short Summary: A forty something red headed, large breasted, and eternally horny female lawyer returns to her hometown to attend the funeral of her sister’s sleaze ball husband. The recently murdered died under very strange circumstances and we figure out within the first four pages that he’s been killing random gypsy type people who are very short, ugly in the face, and supermodel in the body… these people are simply called “Squatters.” More people turn up dead, drugs start showing up, and our ...more
Tressa
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
What a misogynistic bunch of tripe. Not one, not two, not three, but four, five, six and more buxom women who are ogled, fantasized about, raped, axed, hanged, and tortured in this southern horror tale. There seems to be two types of women in an Ed Lee book: fuckable, creamy-titted foxes who can't get enough sex in a given day or obese, nagging housewives who make life a living hell for their frustrated husbands. Pass this stinker on by!

I'm giving it two stars because Lee is a wonderful writer
John
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Overall - 4.5 stars
Narration - 4.5 stars
Story - 4 stars

Pretty descent story with the standard Lee extras. The narration was good, but a few of his characters' voices, including a rapist/murderer, sounded like Mr Rogers. Very ... unique.
Pierre
A remarkably tame Edward Lee novel. Excellent storytelling with a Stephen King feel to it, with a lot more sex of course.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Edward Lee, well known for his demented horror and rich sexual imagery, delivers a rather strange book focusing on a small town dominated by crab picking ‘squatters’. The squatters are about as unusual as you can get ­ when they speak you barely see their mouths move, they’re amazingly short, the women possess eerily appetizing bodies, and they’re all living together on a type of plantation in oddly structured abodes. And of course people such as this practice a different kind of religion that c ...more
Jen from Quebec :0)
I am not even sure where to start-- this was recommended to me by a member of a Horror Group I belong to on this sit. At first, it WAS horrific- simply brutal, ghastly, ugly things occurred. It was *almost* graphic just for the sake of being graphic. Then, something happened-- a great story took shape. Patricia returns to her hometown for the funeral of her Judy's (her sister)'s (horrible) husband. Her sister owns a lot of land in their small town, and a group of 'hill people' known as 'The Squa ...more
Alex
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smutty, smutty horror... fun for October
Deanna
Sep 26, 2007 rated it did not like it
The synopsis on the back of this book made it sound good, but it wasn't. I can't think of anything good to say about it...the whole time I was reading it I kept wondering "when is something gonna HAPPEN?"
James
Sep 03, 2007 rated it liked it
i've only read one other one of edward lee's books (along with a couple of short stories) in the past, but i've also read about him and his works, so i kind of new what to expect--ultra-violence and ultra-sex. basically, ultra-exploitation. to put it cinematically, edward lee is kind of like grindhouse (the genre, not the double-feature) crossed with clive barker.

this book, about a small town in southern virginia that runs into trouble with big-city land developers, fills all of those qualificat
Mike Kazmierczak
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
It might not seem like it to first time Edward Lee readers but BACKWOODS is a much more subdued novel than most of the stuff that Lee writes. It has large quantities of sex. It has violent scenes that make you cringe. And it combines the two into different rape scenes by obviously despicable characters. However the majority of the acts are subtle and not quite as in your face as other Lee novels.

The story follows Patricia White who comes back home to the backwoods of Virginia after her sister Ju
Jennifer Gryczkowski
Feb 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
This book felt like an amalgamation of many of the previous Edward Lee books I've read. There's nothing new in it except maybe the way in which people die, which is only slightly interesting and not at all gruesome.

I've seen Lee's characters' libidos go crazy before due to outside interference. This time, I guess he wanted to do it and who cares the reason, because the explanation for it is that Patricia hit 40. No joke.

Every girl in this book has a huge rack, even if they're only 11 years old.
N.C. Patterson
May 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Quite simply the worst novel I've ever read.I quit reading it in the last quarter of the book and just looked up the ending online. I'm glad I didn't finish it. I love horror novels and even intense horror novels. This was not a horror novel. The supernatural elements were nearly no existent and there wasn't even a serial killer or stalker. It was about a town of horrible people with no morals who rape, murder, and desecrate everything around them. Simply disgusting for no reason. Scenes of illi ...more
Sharon Leung
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fulfilling

This is an amazing book. It has everything. A fantastic storyline with lots of twists, for and upheaval, plots and curiosities and investigations and revenge. All topped.off with desire and greed. Everything flowed together brilliantly giving a fulfilled ending that answered all the questions you were. Thinking throughout the book. Truly a great book. Definitely recommend you give it read.
Robert Beveridge
Edward Lee, The Backwoods (Leisure, 2005)

Lee turns in another fast-paced mystery/thriller with horror elements, though this one is far less a straight-up horror novel than most of the Lee books I've read over the years. If you're familiar with Ed Lee, you know what you're getting into (and, actually, it's kind of toned down here, from the stuff of his I'm used to seeing)-- adrenaline-packed action sequences that usually end up with people being very dead and very bloody, supercharged sex, and pl
Carl Alves
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
In Backwoods, Patricia White is a successful lawyer from Washington DC who goes back to her childhood home in the Chesapeake Bay area to comfort her sister after her husband is killed. As the title of the novel suggests, this is a complete backwoods underdeveloped place filled with squatters that seem like they belong in Deliverance. It was also the area where Patricia had been raped when she was younger. She discovers a crooked land developer who is trying get rid of squatters and creating all ...more
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Come on, everyone. The book is called, "The Backwoods". What did you expect? I'm sure Lee blazed through writing this in a matter of weeks -- it has all the standard Lee stuff -- rapes, sex, violent deaths, sex, ridiculous gore, sex, torture, and sex. Look, every few months or so I need my fix of Edward Lee to purge my system. This book worked for me. I had a smile on my face thinking how much fun Edward had writing this. I laughed out loud many times at some of his sexual descriptions. He's not ...more
David
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
A fun read with lots of great Lee dialog and grisly scenes, but it bogs down on occasion and felt a little long. Of course I can reed Ed Lee all day, but some trims would have made this more energetic.
I can say that this is probably the most nipple-centric book I've read in ages! Nipples tingle, they are tweaked, put between missing front teeth, rise, ache and jut. Nipples EVERYWHERE!

Not his strongest, but for fans that love when Lee goes to the redneck horror, there are some great bits to savo
Paul
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed
Wow, a deadbeat town, sexual repression, and gory, ugly violence, this is my kind of author, messy, crude, downright disgusting in parts, still a great story hidden in the folds of sexual expression and uber violence.
I can see that I will read all of this mans works, not matter how depraved they get...can my stomach take it....
Gavin Hurley
Mar 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People that like mysteries?
Shelves: extreme-horror
Terrible horror novel. I do not know why Lee wrote this. Everythng else he wrote is much better. The novel possesses not many horror elements, let alone no extreme horror elements which he is known for. The plot was quite weak and the characters mundane.
Karen Bullock
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disturbingly good

I have given this a 4 star rating only because a few things seemed off & I felt like I was stumbling along, just like Patricia. The whole story was a surprise; dark & disturbing.
The ending reminded me a bit like Thinner by Stephen King.
Christopher
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A great read from one of horror's less known names. Scary and humorous, which is a great combo for any horror novelist.
Tiffany Ehlers
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very sick, twisted story. But a good read
Tyler Nals
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun read for those who like a fast pace and a good horror story. I see that the rating isn't very high, but I enjoyed it. Cool stuff.
Josh Warfel
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
believe the consensus. It's bad. Worst epilogue ever.
Chris Amies
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Thing is, if you're going to depart from your usual splatterfest in favour of Lovecraftian anthropo-horror you need to get the anthropological stuff done proper. "The Backwoods" eschews Lee's usual gleeful headers and dismemberments and obsession with hick girls in crop tops and shorts for OTT descriptions of a woman apparently possessed by a sex demon and for a Lost Race menaced by evil developers (who are so obvious they might as well be twirling their moustaches as they speak, but Lee don't c ...more
Mark R.
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
**1/2

I was surprised on reading the prologue to "The Backwoods"; unlike most other Ed Lee books I've read, the opening does not take place years ago, or concern an ancient evil. The beginning of "The Backwoods" instead features a, uh, backwoods fella taking money as payment for murdering a Squatter girl.

The Squatters are a group of gypsy-like folks who live at the edge of a small town, and who all work for the local crab business, run by well-liked local woman Judy. It was Judy's husband Dwayne
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dark Hollow (Levi Stoltzfus, #1)
  • The Mailman
  • Castaways
  • The Woman
  • The Traveling Vampire Show
  • Off Season (Dead River, #1)
  • Prime Chaos: Adventures in Chaos Magic
  • The Fog
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • The Girl Next Door
  • Full Throttle

Edward Lee is an American novelist specializing in the field of horror, and has authored 40 books, more than half of which have been published by mass-market New York paperback companies such as Leisure/Dorchester, Berkley, and Zebra/Kensington. He is a Bram Stoker award nominee for his story "Mr. Torso," and hi

News & Interviews