Start by marking “St. Patrick's Gargoyle” as Want to Read:
St. Patrick's Gargoyle

St. Patrick's Gargoyle

As the millennium draws to a close, the gargoyles who guard the ancient buildings of Dublin come together to face an evil that threatens all they hold dear. This story of an eternal enemy is by the bestselling author of the Deryni series.
Published February 1st 2001 by Ace Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about St. Patrick's Gargoyle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about St. Patrick's Gargoyle

Start your review of St. Patrick's Gargoyle
kingshearte
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2010, fantasy
The blurb makes this book sound rather more dramatic, and frankly, more interesting, than it actually was. The first two thirds or so just puttered along, with no real sense of urgency, or malevolence, or anything particularly engaging. As a character, I was reasonably fond of Templeton, but that's about the only thing that kept me going at all.

As for that "evil" that nothing could have prepared him for? Well, for starters, Paddy is hundreds and hundreds of years old. He's dealt with
Patrick
I imagine that St. Patrick's Gargoyle might have worked better as a short story or novelette rather than a full-length book. Kurtz's attention to detail is admirable, but it comes at the expense of plot momentum; after more than 100 pages, practically nothing has happened (though there are some lovely multi-pages descriptions of Irish cathedrals). This one just never grabbed me. (Finished on page 111.)
Alyssia Cooke
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really quite enjoyed this short tale, although the author can be a tad heavy handed with the theology and has a tendency to repeat facts rather a lot. Even with that, this is a slow paced, rather sweet novel and the characterisations of both Templeton and the gargoyle Paddy were well done. Other characters fell a little bit short which may have been due to the short nature of the novel itself.

For instance, Templeton’s daughters and grandchildren often seemed overly scripted so what
Denise Spicer
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the very first paragraph the author pulls us into a fascinating tale. Set in Dublin Ireland, we follow Paddy, a gargoyle/avenging archangel and his new friend and helper, the human Francis Templeton. In his 80’s, Francis, a Knight of Malta, drives a vintage rolls Royce and navigates around the snowy December streets as he assists Paddy and the other gargoyles to rebind a demon in an ancient underground vault. The book includes wonderful descriptions of Dublin at Christmas time and of pre-se ...more
Clare O'Beara
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is quite a sweet and at times emotional urban fantasy in which an elderly but strong gentleman in Dublin finds himself driving around the city at the behest of St. Patrick's Cathedral's gargoyle, looking for stolen church plate.

The gentleman is Francis Templeton, widower, 82, and he cherishes his Rolls Royce which is used as a wedding car. He's also a Knight of Malta which is perhaps the reason why he was able to see the gargoyle, Paddy. In this fantasy, the gargoyles are a more modern for
Elentarri
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-and-sf
This short and sometimes emotional novel is told from the perspective of Paddy, the gargoyle who guards St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, Ireland. It is a tale of good vs evil, as Paddy enlists the help of 82 year old Francis Templeton, a Knight of Malta with a fondness of his old Rolls Royce.

The book is somewhat weak on plot but heavy on theology and church functioning, including a section on bell ringing (which was rather interesting). I didn't feel that the author was preaching,
Shannon
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This was the first Katherine Kurtz book that I read, and while I was not `put-off' by it, I certainly was not impressed. The overall story was interesting, and I really liked the idea that the gargoyles were actually avenging angels. Paddy and Templeton were fairly well developed, but it would have been nice to learn more about Marcus Cassidy, the Knight, and Templeton's family.
At times Kurtz goes off on a tangent about the Catholic Church, and the Protestant Church. While some of the info
Elizabeth
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: My nieces, nephews and anyone interested in Dublin.
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Allison
I love going to Dublin so it was a real treat to read about places and things that I have seen there. This story, told from the perspective of the titular Gargoyle is about the age old battle between good and evil. This is a God based, Christian with a capital C tale. It features miracles, small and large and angels and demons to name a few elements. Kurtz really knows how to grab and keep your attention andI don't think I will ever look at statuary the same way again.
Samantha
Jul 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
Somehow before I picked this book up, I missed the fact that it was a Christian fantasy.

It's highly preachy, the rhetoric dripping from just about every page.

A shame, because the idea was otherwise fun.

For religious types only.
Jean
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gentle fantasy is exactly what I needed. The quiet faith was a balm to ease the stress I've felt recently. I fell in love with Templeton, a Knight of Malta, who is needed to assist in keeping an ancient evil at bay. In this book, gargoyles are the physical manifestation of avenging angels, who now keep a watchful eye on the buildings (and the people within) to which they are assigned.

In a book with an angel as a main character, the reader shouldn't be surprised at references to
Plum-crazy
I read the first two or three chapters & in a bit of a fit of pique put it down. Nothing really to do with the story but I have a bit of a bugbear about people not knowing the difference between gargoyles & grotesques & Paddy, to my mind was more a grotesque. Anyhow when I'd stopped being petty I picked the book back up & was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I did find some of the descriptions a bit repetitive, especially some of the underground travels & Marcus ...more
Linda
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book got my attention at the very beginning with the gargoyle's conclave and watching them argue. Then I had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen. I needed to know what was going to happen between Francis and the gargoyles. This book kept up a good pace and really let you feel the thoughts and feelings of the characters. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Genie
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun romp, with a gargoyle, a church theft, a bit of a mystery, a retired Knight of Malta, and a buried evil. Love the characters, the bit parts and all the lovely Dublin culture. You can follow a map as they drive all over the city.
Jill Fitzpatrick
I LOVE gargoyles!!!

So to have a book devoted to them was a delight! Especially since everyone thinks they are evil but they aren't. Long time guardians of all that is good, they lead you and Francis on a fantastic adventure to save the world! This just became my top 10 favorite.
Susie
May 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't keep going. Very slow moving and it just couldn't keep my interest. I can only think of one or two other books that I started and didn't finish, but this is one of them.
Mary Matroni
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story

Instantly liked all the characters. Some great history told but not dry or boring. Really did not want the story to end but was a satisfying ending. Very vivid writing, could see the story.
Melissa
Mar 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
1.5 stars — the extra half star only because I liked Templeton and Paddy
Cassandra
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was ok. I’m not sure what it was lacking...maybe it needed some sort of world building...I don’t know.
Beverly
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good job. Interesting to think of gargoyle's as repurposed avenging angels. If Christian themes offend you, skip this one.
Sandy Shin
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting story of the gargoyle as a city's guardian. Not just one, a large group of them
Lincoln
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a perfectly delightful story involving a Knight of Malta, a gargoyle (obviously), and very interesting theology. I had a great deal of trouble putting it down long enough to shower and work.
Lyns
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
delightful look at Gargolyes in Dublin. I love the reference back to the Gargoyles TV cartoon.
Pam
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable book about a timeless heroism, and willingness to sacrifice for the greater good. Plus...gargoyles!
Sheri
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute enough story but the amount of tour guide information was a bit much.
Cheryl
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A little more than a short story. Characters not as developed as those in the Derenyi series.
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A minor emergency (I'd run out of new books) sent me to my box of random books. These are books which have not been sorted but are good enough to keep. I don't remember reading St. Patrick's Gargoyle before but I remember that I enjoyed it (I usually enjoy Katherine Kurtz but I can only read her books when I'm in an intellectual frame of mind.) It was a very good choice.
The setting is Christmas-time in Dublin; I read it at Christmas-time in Euless, TX. The plot involves the classic battle between good
Sian Kerr
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sian by: Jackie
Shelves: fantasy
For some reason this took me an age to read. It was recommended by my Aunt and as I hadn't read a quirky light hearted fantasy in a while I thought I'd give it a go.
The story centres around Paddy, a gargoyle at St's Patrick's in Dublin. He's quite a character, funny in some ways charming. I've never read a book from the point of view of a gargoyle, so that was quite interesting.
As soon as the book starts we're whisked off on a chase through the Dublin streets. Paddy enlists the help of Te
Robyn McIntyre
This was a short and rather sweet novel about an elderly widower who suddenly discovers that the gargoyles in his Scottish town are alive and more, is pressed by them into service to help defeat evil.

I consider it a book in-between because there are amusing parts to it, and sentimental parts, and dark, somewhat dangerous parts. It's not a book you can readily assign to a specific theme. It seemed to me mostly a love letter to the city from the author who used to live there. It takes
Amie
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was one of the most intersting fluff books I've read in a while. I'm a moderate fan of Kurtz's Deryni books, which is how I came to even notice this one. Having been to Dublin, where the story is set, I was intrigued since the setting really is most of the plot. That, and I have always been fascinated with gargoyles and other carved grotesques-- and that little plot point did not disappoint! I can totally buy into the idea of gargoyles as the avenging angles now that there's not a lot of av ...more
Romance Bookaholic
Good vs Evil stuff! I love it!
This book is entertaining. The world building is consistent and inventive. The characters are well developed and likable. There are Religious reference throughout the book old testament and new testament. I like that but some might be offended.

If you like good Gargoyles this is the book for you. The ending left me with hope for a series but the author has yet to write it.

Five Roses for St Patrick's Gargoyle

• Burn, Baby, Burn (Magical Romantic Comedies, #8)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. McClure (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Searching for Keeley (Seeking Justice Book 2)
  • Securing Ara (Special Forces: Operation Alpha / Team Cerberus Book 6)
  • The Chocolate Shark Shenanigans
  • Unlocking Dreams (Special Forces: Operation Alpha & Flipping Love Story #1)
  • Rescuing Emma (Special Forces: Operation Alpha)
  • Rescuing Amy (Special Forces: Operation Alpha)
  • Freeing Fatima
  • Secondhand Soldier
  • Loving Leisl (Special Forces: Operation Alpha / Green Beret Book 2)
  • A Love Never Forgotten (Never Forgotten Trilogy #1)
  • A Promise Never Forgotten (Never Forgotten #2)
  • Blind Trust (Brotherhood Protectors World)
  • Finding the Way Back (Stealth Ops #5)
  • SEAL's Spitfire (Special Forces: Operation Alpha / Black Eagle Book 1)
  • The Mechanic (Brotherhood Protectors World)
  • Cleveland (The Adlers #5)
Katherine Kurtz is an American fantasy novel writer. She is best known for her Deryni series. She currently lives in Virginia.