Start by marking “Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses” as Want to Read:
Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses

Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  305 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Take a Walk on the Dark Side is the ultimate book for today's rock and roll fan: a fascinating compendium of facts, fictions, prophecies, premonitions, coincidences, hoaxes, doomsday scenarios, and other urban legends about some of the world's most beloved and mysterious pop icons.

Updating, revising, and expanding on material from his cult classic Hellhounds on Their Tra

Published July 13th 2004 by Touchstone (first published July 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Take a Walk on the Dark Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take a Walk on the Dark Side

Lindsey
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
It was great to read but made me paranoid
Trevor Jones
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patterson's Take a Walk on the Dark Side caught my attention with its constant flow of interesting information of the history of rock and roll. More specifically the myths and legends behind famous musicians. Most cases have to do with musicians finding interest in the occult and having ironic things happen other incidences are sheer acts of coincidence or are they?

The theme of this book is to make the reader question whether it was just coincidence that caused a terrible fate to happen to multi
Sophia Case-Gabbard
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how to not like this book. You have to enjoy taking a trip with someone, going along with a story, and appreciating that "it's the truth even if it didn't happen" to get through this book. In the immortal words of Ken Kesey, "The hell with facts. We need stories."
Terri
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Such a disappointment & a bit hokey! I think the author was trying a bit too hard to draw coincidences. Only intersting part was the plane crash with members of Lynard Skynard - that one actual gave me goose bumps.
Michael Pickle
Not horrible,not great either.There are some factual errors,and the word "ironically" is used a lot.
Robin Doak
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun concept, badly edited.
Rj Roles
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books
Really enjoyed this book, quite fascinating!
Lee
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Patterson combines fascinating and well researched information with his uncanny abilities as a "born storyteller". Unlike so many other books of this genre, I found myself enthralled by his literary style:warm, engaging and GENUINELY affecting. His sincere love of the music(and respect for the artists who create it)comes shining through in each paragraph!

The book is written in a warm conversational style that is very compelling. The stories are fascinating and I can assure you that once started
Pedro
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: this-is-music
This book was a lot of fun to read. A lot of it had to do with how many of the musicians were involved with black magic, voodoo, or a pact with the devil, and how that led to a lot of the unfortunate things that happened to them. Some tales are eerie but some seemed far fetched. The author tells of the many rumors that exist and even he thinks some of the stories are absurd. My favorite part is how Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" coincides with "The Wizard of Oz". I remember when I played t ...more
Lina
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books about one of my favorite addictions: Rock and Roll.
This amazing book walks the reader through incredible mysteries, myths, hoaxes and legends of our favorite rock legends such as "The Club" which requires members to die at the untimely age of 27, the Led Zeppelin curse, John Lennon's fixation with numerology, the influence of Aliester Crowley in Rock and Roll and many other chilling stories.

I absolutely enjoyed reading this book and discovering all those unknow
Dawn
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love R. Gary Patterson as a frequent guest on Coast to Coast AM and am really looking forward to reading further in this book.

UPDATE: This book was awesome. The only thing I would have hoped for is a bit more details on some of the stories. My favorites were the chapters about Jimmy Page and his Aleister Crowley obsession, and rock's links with Satanism throughout the years. Highly recommended for any music lover and/or paranormal enthusiast.
Phyllis
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: rock and roll band
Okay, so it took me a while to finish this book, but I enjoyed it so much because I could read a chapter at a time. So many instersting things . . . . Creepe out by the Jimmy Page stuff. . . . Love the numerology connects to the '27' club. Wasn't the best book I've ever read, but might have to look into another one written by this author . . .
Erac Rodriguez
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Definitely a fun and interesting read. This book explored parallels in those involved in rock and allegedly involved with the occult (such as Led Zeppelin's fascination with Aleister Crowley) as well as topics such as the myth of the "27" club and what not. Since it involved a mix of topics that interested me, I enjoyed it.
Shannon Barber
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting, enjoyable read. I would not recommend it to people who don't have a fairly decent grasp of blues music. If you don't know the blues the first portion of the book will make no sense to you.
Jenn
Dec 01, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. There were some really interesting myths and coincidences in this book. However, some of the stuff seemed a bit far fetched, but you can't really help what rumors people choose to run with, right?
Amanda pepos
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i absolutely love this book!!! it chronicles the dark side of rock and roll and those that you think are dark really arent. not alot of ozzy in this book but alot of the stones and led though. it is really very interesting and kinda creepy but a fantastic read.
Craig
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Four stars for the fun factor, maybe 3.5 for overall rating. Chock-full of nifty info about rock stars and odd coincidences/myths of the same. Even some fun numerology with Jimi Hendrix and Aleister Crowley rears his head a few times.
Karen
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of behind-the-scenes information on the music world in the 60's & 70's. I didn't know rock n roll was so evil. I was listening to the Carpenters & Simon & Garfunkle. I missed the evil part. This book filled me in. Very interesting read. I really didn't miss much :D
Ingridamcg
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a fun read. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't already been familiar with a large portion of the material. One thing is certain, I'll never look at Buddy Holly & the Crickets the same way again.
Feather Dust
This book was really interesting. I didn't know all of these different myths and stories about songs and artists. I loaned it out to friends who also enjoyed it. I recommend it!
Gabbymendes
one of my favorites
Doug
Jul 07, 2009 added it
Interesting reading about Jimmy Page's interest. Flimsy evidence for a lot of the so called coincidences in the book.
Kristy
An awesome compendium of rock 'n' roll supernatural urban legends.
Alisa
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it
this was interesting, the way facts were lined up and laid out so it was easy to see the similarities inside the 'devilish rock world.'
Angela Hawkins
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
First part of book interesting but the further I got into the book the less I was into it. It seemed to drag on endlessly. I forced myself to read the last two chapters.
Ana
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thesis
nice and interesting book, a fun read. should have been reviewed though, for there are a number of inaccuracies regarding, p.e., dates and numbers, that are probably just lapses.
Christopher
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: rock n rollers
Recommended to Christopher by: Phil Waters
Creepy stuff in this book! Be sure to check it out!
D'Anne
May 09, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is really poorly written. The title also promises a lot more than it delivers. I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. And did I mention how poorly it's written?
Marko Mladenovich
Jan 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
meh
Katharine
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Really poorly written, but some of the stories are fun. See: Led Zeppelin and the red snapper.
  • Plainclothes Naked
  • Angels Dance and Angels Die: The Tragic Romance of Pamela and Jim Morrison
  • Summer of Love: A Time Travel
  • The Grrl Genius Guide to Sex (with Other People): A Self-Help Novel
  • Pot Culture: The A-Z Guide to Stoner Language & Life
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • The Founding Fathers Reconsidered
  • A Devil on One Shoulder and an Angel on the Other: The Story of Shannon Hoon and Blind Melon
  • Led Zeppelin IV
  • Squeaky: The Life and Times of Lynette Alice Fromme
  • Girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties
  • Wild Child: Life with Jim Morrison
  • On the Bus: The Complete Guide to the Legendary Trip of Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters and the Birth of Counterculture
  • According to the Rolling Stones
  • Psilocybin: Magic Mushroom Grower's Guide: A Handbook for Psilocybin Enthusiasts
  • Eye Mind: Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99