Start by marking “September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right” as Want to Read:
September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right

September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right

Heartfelt and touching book by 1st graders at Masterson Elementary School in Kennet, Missouri, about the day after the tragic events of September 11th. These students were given a commemorative Sept.

On September 11th horrific events occurred, yet through the simple text and vibrant art of first graders, we are reminded that the world continued the next day. On each page, c
Published September 1st 2002 by Tangerine Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about September 12th, please sign up.
Alyson Stone It's really not informational. It just reminds the kids that everything will be okay, no matter how bad things may look. I always use this book as my …moreIt's really not informational. It just reminds the kids that everything will be okay, no matter how bad things may look. I always use this book as my closer for my 9-11 lesson.(less)

Start your review of September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right
Jon Nakapalau
This heartfelt book is a beacon of hope - the wisdom of children is truly profound.
Lindsey Rick
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to share with kids after talking about 9/11
Kate Grahek
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was written and illustrated by a first grade classroom in Missouri. It plays through the events of 9/11. It goes on to explain how September 12th was a new day for America and everything would be alright again. It shows the resiliency and positive attitudes kids have which is extremely refreshing!
Kirsten Stuber
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
September 12th We Knew Everything Would Be All Right is as Kids Are Authors Award winning story about what happened in America the day after the tragic events of September 11th. This book is a written from the perspective of a classroom of First Grade Students of H. Byron Masterson Elementary in Kennett, Missouri. The book begins by stating that "On September 11, 2001, many bad things happened. It then goes on to describe the events that took place in the lives of the students, where they knew t ...more
Gianni Outram
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be Alright , written by first graders, serves as a source of comfort by sending the important message that although the events of September 11th, 2001 shook the world, the world did not end. In wake of the tragedy, these first grade students write about how the next day, their world was not shattered; they continued on to enjoy the routines of their regular school day. This book reminds readers that after tough times, there is still hope that the world wi ...more
Jessica Lane
September 12 is a book about September 11, 2001 from the perspective of first graders. It talks about even though bad things happen, things were still going to be okay.

I really enjoyed reading about this tragic event through the eyes of elementary students. Even though they didn't know exactly what happened, they knew it was really bad. But, they also knew things could still be good in life. I also really liked how they talked about the unity of Americans on September 12. I think it's really aw
Kelsey
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Age: Preschool-1st grade

Written and illustrated by a first-grade class in Kennett, Missouri, these children reflect on how the world remains the same after September 11th. Even though bad things did happen, good things continue to happen.

May be more for the enjoyment of adults because kids may not want to see pictures that other kids drew or hear a story that other kids wrote.

May be good as a supplemental story but not by itself. What about the people in New York whose lives really were changed
Falan Miller
This was a very sweet book. This book was written and illustrated by a bunch of first graders. They tell of the story about the day after 9/11. This book is from their point of view and how they though everything was going to be alright.

I really liked this book because it is different. It is all from the children's perspective and it is really cool to see how they viewed 9/11 and the day after. Their illustrations are also really cute and sweet.

This book could be used to teach children about th
McKenna Banks
This book was beautiful. It was written by a class of first graders following the attack on 9/11. It is meant to be encouraging and full of hope. The simple wording and thoughts of children is a powerful thing. The illustrations were also done by the students and they were haunting in a way. It was very cool to be able to see this event through the eyes and ears of a child. I loved this book. I would probably read it on 9/11 to talk about a community and country coming together as one.
Hannah
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Beautiful example of how teachers can turn bad events into meaningful moments in children's lives. ...more
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book September 12 is written and illustrated by the Masterson Elementary Students. The book, written about the day after September 11, 2001, shows how the students in the 1st classroom knew the world was going to be all right. They knew this because their daily schedule went back to normal, their parents still tucked them into bed, and they still had homework. Even though this book does touch on such a dark event in our history, the book has themes such as hope and comfort. I would give this ...more
Hannah Hart
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
September 11th was a tragic day, but the the next day still came. The world didn't stop turning because humans are resilient. The day went on just like any other, but this first grade class felt a little more pride in their country.

Like the children that wrote this book, I was also in 1st grade when the plains crashed into the Twin Towers. I wish we had had this kind of outlet to really process and understand what happened on this day. I remember it being very confusing, but an activity like th
Rebecca
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be Allright is on my favorites book shelf because history cannot be forgotten. The work is written and illustrated by 1st grade students. When you read this book you can feel the love coming from each page and the resurgence that bad things do occur in life, but everything at the end of the day is going to be allright.

In the reading classroom, teachers could use this story on September 11th, to teach about what happened that day in a more history literac
Amanda Johnson
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For someone who was a kid when September 11th happened, this book resonated with me. I think this is a great book to explain the unity that happened after September 11th. The world changed and kids saw a lot of ugly that day, but they also saw the world come together and the United States felt a little smaller as the nation bonded over the tragedy.
Holly Wheeler
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book was written and illustrated by children. It is such a inspiring book, it shows young minds perspective of the horrific events that occurred on September 11th. This book shows that every thing will be alright because life moves on.
Kim
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, 9-11
A group of 1st graders created this book to let everyone know that everything would be alright after the World Trade Center attack. First, the sun came up on the 12th and then the kids routine remained the same.
Kyra Coffell
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a recollection of a tragic time in United States history, that was turned light hearted by the students in that time period. The pictures drawn by the students were adorable and depicted their vision of the event on 9/11. Overall an amazing book with great ideas.
Amy Balaich
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picture book. Written by children about how they coped with the tragedy of 9/11. Fun childlike illustrations.
Kylie Moffat
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A good way to talk about hard things that happen with kids. Loved the story and what this teacher did!
Lisa
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great for the classroom!
Terri Jane
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story of how these students felt after 9/11/2001. The story and illustrations will touch your heart.
Virginia
Written by a class of first graders after the events of 9-11-2001 to focus on the good people and things around us, and how we could move forward after that tragic day.
Natalie Wilkinson
Picture Book
A sweet and beautiful message about hope after tragedy. I would definitely use this when talking with students about 9/11.
Ashley
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tears streamed from my eyes the moment I began reading this beautifully handwritten book by the first grade students of Masterson Elementary School in Missouri a day after the tragic events of September 11th. The events of 9/11 may seem like a distant memory, but being able to read about the aftermath of such moments through the perspective of these children can’t help but give the reader a sense of hope in a time of distress.

This is a story that begins a
Ashton McWhirter
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-1-10
This is a nonfiction picture book, illustrated and written by first graders. "September 12th" won the 2002 Commemorative Award, as well a spot on the Scholastic's "Kids Are Authors" list.

Students worked in groups and pairs to draw pictures and captions in which they explain how they knew things would be alright, and life would still gone on, after the terrorist attacks on 9/11. The sun still rose in the sky, teachers hugged their students at the door, and Pledge of Allegiance was recited loudly
Claire
Sep 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
This one irritated more than comforted me - maybe since I have been reading so much children's literature so the fact it was written by children did not lighten my headache. There was no mention of what makes September 12th, 2001 an important day. My father told me that all of the children at that elementary school weren't even alive that day - so I imagine they don't have any idea what happened the day before.

It may be ironic I read this book September 11th, 2015.

It doesn't really matter, but I
Brittany Martin
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
September 12th was a day of hope because the sun came up again. Children have such an innocent optimism about them. This is evident in September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right. This book is written and illustrated by a first grade class from Missouri. The book begins by talking about how 9/11 was a bad day, but that the children knew everything would be all right because the sun came up the next morning and they continued their school routine the same as always. The children recall ...more
Nikki
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Summary- This book written and illustrated by first grade students of H. Bryon Masterson Elementary in Kennett, Missouri. About their take on the tragedy of 9/11 and how they knew that they personally and america was going to be all right. The students came to this conclusion because everything on 9/12 went on. Some of their examples were, the sun still came up, we all came to school, we sang the national anthem loudly, 2+2 still added up to four, and the moon still came up and america went to s ...more
Garrett Harner
This book is a wonderful reminder that every day is a new day. The children that wrote this book do a great job of reminding the reader that every day is a precious new gift. Even among events that may seem hopeless, there is always reason to keep your head up, find the positives, and persevere.

Classroom Connections: This book was written by a group of elementary aged children. This would be a prime example to show children what they and their peers are capable of. This would be inspirational t
Collin Powell
This book is my personal favorite. They got every student to write a different page in the book covering what happened on September 11, 2001 and the day after. I think it’s cute how the kids were able to express what they were feeling as they learned about the attacks and how they formed their understanding of what had happened. It describes how the children were able to regain their sense of security when they saw their teachers and families following the normal routines.
I liked the hopefulne

• The Man Who Walked Between the Towers
  • Guess How Much I Love You
  • We the Kids
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • A Picture Book of Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • The Knight and the Dragon