Start by marking “Thorn (Rosa Thorn Thriller, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thorn (Rosa Thorn Thriller, #1)

Thorn (A Rosa Thorn Thriller #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  199 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
‘An outstanding debut’ - Time Out

The Thorn family seem to have it all.

Robin Thorn is a successful artist about to hit the big time; his pale beautiful wife Rosa is an actress, and they are devoted to their two teenage children: Anna and Danny.

But when tragedy strikes on a London road, the whole family is blown apart.

As the Thorns try to put back the pieces of their broken
Published December 6th 2004 by Headline (first published December 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Thorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thorn

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I loved this book!

It is well written; the characters are well rounded and the dialogue realistic.

Corks writing style is relaxed and flows easily. She writes with passion and a sense of humour. I get the feeling that she enjoyed writing this book, as I enjoyed reading it.

Rob Thorn, artist, husband and father, is killed crossing the road to the park to play Frisbee with his children. He leaves behind jobbing actress Rosa and two teenage children. Forced to take on a temporary drama teaching job to
Pete Loveday
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite
This a great read and a gripping thriller. From the outset I enjoyed Rosa's droll English humour and cynicism. The unfolding story both touches and repels, but it is never boring!
I could have slapped both teenagers, Danny and Anna, but in the end I fell in love with them both.
Vena Cork is an Author to reckoned with and I look forward to reading her next book.
Petra
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following her husband's sudden death, Rosa Thorn and her two teenage children Anna and Danny have to go through the grieving process and adjust to their new life. Feeling the financial strain of a single parent, Rosa takes on a temporary teaching job at the local school, the same one her two children now have to attend after leaving their previous private school. To make matters worse, sinister things start happening around them, injured and dead animals on their doorstep, the dead body of a gir ...more
CL
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a story about the passing of the father but as it progresses you come to realize there is more to this story than meets they eye. Vena Cork gives you just enough to lull you and then throws in a curve keeping you turning the pages from first page to the last. Rosa is trying to keep her family together after the death of her husband. As her finances dwindle she takes a job teaching and takes in a boarder to make ends meet. Now her daughter has a stalker and strange things start happe ...more
Lisa Greer
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
This is the debut of the Thorn series by Vena Cork. I loved this book and read it until I finished it. The other two in the series that follow are the same. If you like British mysteries with regular women for heroines, this one is for you.
Sharon Mensing
Nov 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I am very surprised to learn that this is the first of a series. It did not have the feel of a series at all. The plot seemed very self-contained, with Rosa Thorn’s role in this book was as a mother trying to help her children. Yes, Rosa does some sleuthing as she tries to figure out what her teenage children are up to, and what they are facing, but in this book there is no indication that she is taking her investigative role beyond helping her children. So now that I realize there is a series b ...more
Icewineanne
May 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-crime
I really looked forward to reading this novel. It has some great reviews and wonderful artwork on its cover, but what a disappointment. This book is supposed to be a mystery, but it's mostly a novel about the problems of raising teenagers as a single parent.

The central character is a recently widowed woman who has to face reduced financial circumstances while raising 2 teenagers on her own. The children are forced to leave their exclusive private school for the public school system, and, to make
Lynn Perry
A Good Book Is More Than Gimmicky Names & A Surprise Perp

Admittedly, the evil doer in this story was a surprise to me - and it may have been that by reading only 97% of the book, I skipped the author's "fleshing out" of the supporting "how, when & why" details - but by that point, I realized I really didn't care. Author's diversionary tactic of trying to create suspense by manufacturing a bunch of "red herrings" in the form of colorfully-named (unsavory) characters was a "bust" for me.
Ann Tonks
A fascinating thriller, expecially for anyone who has teenage children. The insights of mother/teen relationship were a wonderful addition to a well written story. The final scenes were, stangely, the most disappointing part of the book. Too over the top. But strangely, that's a minor complaint compared to the rest of the book.
Liesbeth
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. Lots of twists and turns, likable main characters, and a fab plot.
There are a lot of people in it though, probably a just a few too many, it can be hard to keep track of who is who.
Sophie Percival
I thought this book was quite slow at the beginning, was struggling to get through it at times. Once it got going, it was fast paced and unpredictable!
Jen
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Thorn by Vena Cork is set in London.

A family disrupted and grieving after the father's death, has each member trying to deal with the loss in different ways as their lives have permanently changed. Rosa Thorn must take a temporary teaching position at a nearby school. Her children, Danny and Anna must leave their expensive private academy and join their mother at the same neighborhood school.

Thorn kept my interest up until the conclusion. Unsure of the villain, I had suspected the actual culpri
Caroline Ward
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read & review this book. I was intrigued by the synopsis of the novel. It tells the story of the Thorn family who are struggling to cope after a recent bereavement..When strange things start to happen to the family & girls in the local area go missing, the Thorns must look to those around them to solve the mystery.
A great story with so many twists that it was impossible to guess the ending.
I did at times get a bit confused and have to stop and
Kate Loveday
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a gripping thriller with many twists and turns. When Rosa Thorn loses her husband she is left with two teen-age children who do not make life easy for her. To add to her misery she must return to teaching to make ends meet. But it is when she realises her daughter is being stalked that her troubles really begin, and they keep piling one on another until the end of the book. The grisly happenings in the story are relieved by the dry wit that Rosa uses in telling her story,
which had me sta
Rose Who
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man liest und liest und liest, merkt gar nicht wie weit man schon gekommen ist, möchte das Buch aber nicht aus den Händen legen. Vena Cork geht leicht von der Zunge, ein Thriller mit einer spannenden Vorgeschichte. Nach jedem Kapitel möchte man einfach mehr und mehr wissen. Das ist eines dieser Bücher, bei denen man sich wünscht es würde nicht enden. Ich habe es verschlungen und es hat erst kurz vor Ende "klick" gemacht - Ich hätte es nicht erwartet! Absolut lesenswert.
Julia Ibbotson
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well written; I liked the narrative structure and the clearly defined characters. A very clever novel which I couldn't put down. And what a surprise ending. I will read the next two in the series. However, I found the frequent typos and formatting errors annoying - maybe a problem in setting the manuscript for ebook format?
Roisin
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once I started this book it clearly became one I didn't want to put down any time soon. The miss representation of what is shown on the surface isn't what it seems accurately summaries this novel that many writes don't always get right. To add that even coming across this book was on a total whim makes me appreciate this even more - like I was always meant to read it.
Kitty
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very good book with a nice plot. It was hard for me to put it away and I finished it in about 3 or 4 days which is extremely fast for me since I am probably the slowest reader on earth. Thorn is very easy to read and has plenty of "cliffhanger-moments" which makes it hard for you to put it away.
Nettie
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is brilliant. Told with a dry cynical wit, it is really entertaining. Definitely an author to keep an eye on.
Grahambootle
Feb 12, 2011 rated it liked it
gripping thriller. Main characters well rounded, secondary characters a bit flat and one dimensional. Plot twist good, but huge plot hole at the end which spoilt it for me. Looking forward to reading green eye.
Lynn Mccarthy
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a debut novel a fascinating thriller.
Lots of twists and turns and a fast read.
Overall a good book there are two other books in the series will have to read them.
Good ending.

Thank you Netgalley the Author and publisher for a chance to read this book.
Colin Williams
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As debut novels go this one is fantastic. Really well written with some brilliant twists and turns. Will have to read Vena Cork again just to see if she can keep this up.
Bianca
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, but at the end it got pretty unrealistic.
Rebecca
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Grief and Goose Bumps

This is a must read by those of us who make a tent of our sheets and read late into the night.
Cleo Bannister
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Bought this from Amazon as I liked the reviews.  Glad I did a really good psychological thriller, many twists and turns with a sub plot of a family dealing with grief,  I would recommend this one"
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book. It took me a while to get into it but once I did, I was gripped. Absolutely great storyline. I really need to read it again. Easily one of my favourites.
Andy Haigh
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very assured piece off work. Slow burning before ending with a final flurish.
Very good character building, with sinister subplots always playing on the mind.
Very enjoyable.
Gillian Ashton
It was an easy to read book but i guessed who did it before i was half way through so i thetefore lost enthusiasm!
Heather
A good read, not my usually my type but kept me interested and a very good twist at the end.
Margot
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not heard of this author before, but thoroughly enjoyed this book. Really gripping and full of suspense!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • American Devil
  • Where the Devil Can't Go (Kiszka and Kershaw, #1)
  • Gently Does It
  • The Blood Detective (Nigel Barnes)
  • Dead to Me (Scott & Bailey, #1)
  • JFK Is Missing! (PI Grace Smith, #2)
  • Unspoken
  • Johnny Swanson
  • Kill-Devil And Water (A Pyke Mystery, #3)
  • Bleedout
  • The Twilight Time
  • Evil In Return (Mark Tartaglia, #3)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • The Witch Hunter (Crowner John Mystery #8)
  • Wink Murder
  • The Chosen Child
  • Buried Alive (Carson Ryder, #7)
  • Meltwater (Fire & Ice, #3)
Vena studied at Homerton College, Cambridge, and was one of the first female members of the Cambridge Footlights. She was an actress, playwright and teacher before becoming a full-time writer and producing the Thorn trilogy.

Thorn, the first in the trilogy, was hailed by the Guardian as ‘a compelling, dark-hued psychological thriller’, by Time Out as ‘an outstanding debut’, and by The Times as ‘one
More about Vena Cork...

A Rosa Thorn Thriller (4 books)
  • The Art of Dying (Rosa Thorn Thriller, #2)
  • Green Eye (Rosa Thorn Thriller, #3)
  • Playing Dead (Rosa Thorn Thriller, #4)