Start by marking “Giada's Family Dinners” as Want to Read:
Giada's Family Dinners

Giada's Family Dinners

In her New York Times bestseller Everyday Italian, Giada De Laurentiis introduced us to the simple, fresh flavors of her native Italian cuisine. Now, America’s favorite Italian cook is back with a new batch of simple, delicious recipes geared toward family meals—Italian style.

These unpretentious and delicious meals are at the center of some of Giada’s warmest memories of
Published April 4th 2006 by Clarkson Potter

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,191 books — 1,079 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsMe Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichLamb by Christopher MooreMy Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler
Funniest Books Ever
235 books — 220 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann Pietrangelo
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Giada's recipes have inspired me to experiment and have fun with cooking Italian!

If you love Italian cooking, but don't think you have the talent, think again. "Giada's Family Dinners" will raise your confidence level as soon as you open the book.

The beautiful photos and the easy-to-follow instructions make this a book a must-have for every cook who aspires to Italian cooking. It makes a great gift, too!
Robin
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love Giada. Not only is she beautiful, she seems like the girlfriend you've always wanted. You want to sit at her counter with a glass of wine and talk girltalk as she teaches you to cook. Her recipes are well written, easy to follow and most of all delicious!The joy she exudes in life flows into the recipes she's created.
Deborah
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kim Damommio
I love this cookbook for the Italian sides. Try the broccoli florets with meyer lemon olive oil. I couldn't find meyer lemon oil, so I used blood orange infused olive oil and it was amazing. Try the same trick with spinach! Another autumnal fave is the roasted fennel with parmesan--after roasting the fennel add it as a topper to a salad. Very dramatic! They present it like this at the Martha Washington Inn in Abingdon, Va...
Sandra
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sandra by: La Conner Library
Shelves: cook-books
I particularly like the dessert section. Today I made the Apricot Crostata on page 234. The instructions were clear and it turned out beautifully. Now, how does it taste? Tomorrow we serve it to guests after dinner. Here's hoping!

I may need to buy this book.
Marytes
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love to cook and this book makes it easy, uncomplicated and fun to create beautiful and delicious meals. However, I was a little disappointed in this book because I would like to see more photos of food, in various stages of preparation.
Too many photos of Giada herself.
Tori Weinstock
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Lacks imagination and is rather boring.
Tracy
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yummy!!!
Heather
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was a slight disappointment. I found that I had already come across most of the better recipes in this book from the Food Network website. Many of the new dishes I tried came out bland, though I did fall in love with the simple marinara sauce recipe. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and comes in handy for anything from pizza to spaghetti and meatballs, or as a base sauce for manicotti or lasagna.
Lucia Alexandria
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Giada has provided good recipes that while they show a strong American influence are still based on Italian classics. The recipes are not difficult and you will end up with good flavors in each dish. Haven't tried them all yet but would recommend all so far. If you love Italian food and didn't have an Italian nonna to teach you, I recommend you start off with this and Giada's Everyday Pasta. You'll never look back!
Suzanne
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love to cook Italian. My family says I love to cook Italian and then sometimes I love to try to cook Italian ! Giada’s cookbooks are my go to books for everything Italian!! I have made some great dinners with her help. Also I can’t read the word mozzarella on a page without hearing it and saying it the way Giada does.
Viriam
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
definately a celebrity cookbook. Notwithstanding, it has some great recipes in it.
Emmalee Sourisa
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cool !
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
This was another cookbook I checked out from the library, and like Everyday Italian, I didn’t get a chance to make everything I wanted to.

This one was geared more towards family dinners and entertaining, so the servings were slighter bigger than they were in Everyday Italian. Like Everyday Italian, there were a lot of fresh herbs and veggies, and were pretty simple.

The only complaint I had was that a couple of the ingredients were what I considered to be expensive. Example: Fontina Cheese. I f
Lori
Jul 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Cookery--Italian, Fans of Giada/Everyday Italian
I learned a few more easy to prepare and tasty recipes. The entrees and desserts did not totally rev me up (although there were a few that sounded pretty good). Some of the sandwiches and grilled foods, however, made it into my kitchen rotation quickly and were quite nice!

The recipes are not intimidating and the ingredients are those that you would have already or could easily find. This will be more of a fall/winter selection for me, when I crave that home-cooked Italian food in all it's stoma
Jen Meegan
Jan 18, 2008 rated it liked it
So...cookbooks are super subjective, more so -- I feel -- than other types of books. Not only do you have to like the way it's written...but the recipes have to appeal to you, be easy to follow, and--most importantly--taste good. On that note, this isn't the worst cookbook I've ever used...but it's not the best either. Nothing really blew me away but the recipes are solid and do result in some tasty, if not terribly exciting, dishes.
Amy
Dec 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
YUMM!!!! She has planned menus if you don't want to figure that out for yourself & the pictures leave you salivating. My only criticism is that she omits some techniques in her food prep instructions (ie. tenderizing the veal or flattening it). So, if you are trying something new (which you always should!), then double-check with your butcher or mother to see if there is something extra you need to do.
Kristl
May 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with big families or big groups of friends
We already know I love Giada and all she stands for.

This book made me jump up and down because when I cook from a cookbook, usually it's for four or more people. Okay, when I cook period, and it's only for my husband and I, I cook for four or more people.

It's a family curse. We are nourished by leftovers.

Give this book a try if your traditional standbys are getting worn and tired.
Terri
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
a follow-up to her everyday italian success, this one is also wonderful. simple, fresh ingredients and easy to follow recipes. my sister's favourite is grilled lettucces.

if you feel you have plenty of her recipes in the first book and via foodnetwork.com, i don't think you would miss much not having this one too.
Morgan
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very accessible Italian recipes that are easy enough to make during the week yet impressive enough for a dinner party! This is Giada's most 'family friendly' cookbook, but I do love her new one as well. I now know what to do with random ingredients like leftover ricotta, heavy cream and tomato paste!
Emily Von pfahl
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I haven't had the opportunity to make many of the recipes in this cookbook, primarily because of the number of servings in each dish. However, her espresso brownies are in this cookbook and I have friends who would wrestle in the mud for them.
Lauren
Feb 20, 2008 rated it liked it
I love Giada and her recipes but this book didn't excite me as much as everyday italian. But...I still heart her and her recipes.
Claire
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
allison
Jun 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cooks
I heart Giada. Her recipes are simple and delicous! My favorite recipe in this book is her Dirty Risotto. SO GOOD. I make her herb-cheese polenta all the time because its easy and goes with a lot of stuff.
Deborah Johnson
Dec 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Not as many good recipes as Everyday Italian or Everday Pasta, but still worth owning.
Chad Lamb
I love Italian food, and there's a lot of neat recipes in here. However, I haven't made one of them yet. Mostly because Giada's recipes require a million ingredients, some of which are difficult to acquire at your average local supermarket. Still, I'm tempted to try one sometime soon.
Vegan Viajo
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This woman is my favorite personality on food network She reminds me how special traditional foods are and how we shouldn't forget the importance of old time recipes because they keep our cultures alive. The recipes are priceless. Try one and you'll be hooked.
Rachel Rogers
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of recipes to try in this book. I love Giada's writing style, both the introductions to chapters and recipes and the recipes themselves. Made the pot roast and polenta (which I had also watched her make on an episode of Giada at Home). Delicious! And really pretty easy to do.
Marissa
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Excellent, of course! I just love Giada. Her recipes use such straight forward ingredients, takes into account low fat/low sodium foods and she offers shortcuts. Now that I've read it through, I'm excited to take it into the kitchen and get cooking!
Becki
Feb 10, 2008 rated it liked it
family style cooking, did not like as well as everyday Italian
Miss Clark
Nov 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking-baking
From the decadent Espresso Brownies to the ever delicious Raspberry Almond Tart to her recipe for Basil Pesto and Italian Muffuletta, and all those delicious Chicken recipes, this is a cookbook worth reading.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Barefoot Contessa Parties!: Ideas and Recipes for Easy Parties That Are Really Fun
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • 30-Minute Meals 2
  • Food Network Favorites
  • Forever Summer
  • Relish: An Adventure in Food, Style, and Everyday Fun
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
Giada De Laurentiis is a Los Angeles-based celebrity chef who's published several cookbooks and hosts several shows for Food Network. Born in Rome, Italy, she grew up surrounded by homemade Italian cooking. As a child, she and her family moved to California, where she spent countless hours at her grandfather's restaurant DLL Foodshow. Upon graduating from UCLA with a degree in anthropology, Giada ...more