Start by marking “Doctor De Soto, Spanish Edtiton” as Want to Read:
Doctor De Soto, Spanish Edtiton

Doctor De Soto, Spanish Edtiton

(Doctor De Soto)

Doctor Desoto and his wife, both mice, assist animals large and small with their dental needs-that is, all animals except foxes! One day a fox comes to them in such great pain that they agree to treat his rotten tooth. When it becomes clear the fox intends to eat them when the job is done, the DeSotos come up with a brilliant plan. As usual, Steig combines elegent writing ...more
Published September 30th 1997 by Square Fish (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor De Soto, Spanish Edtiton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor De Soto, Spanish Edtiton

Ronyell
DeSoto

“Doctor DeSoto” is a popular book written by the master children’s books, William Steig. This book is most notably known for winning the Newberry Honor Book award and has remained to be a favorite among the young readers for many generations.

Doctor DeSoto” has an extremely unique storyline about deception. The fox was trying to be friendly towards the DeSotos in the second half of the story, thinking that they would not suspect his malicious intentions. But, Doctor DeSoto comes up with a creativ
Lisa Vegan
A very cute story, about a mouse dentist and his assistant mouse wife who treat all sorts of creatures, except those that would eat them.

But they’re so kindhearted that when a fox begs for help, they relent and do their jobs. Of course, the fun part is how they outsmart the fox to render him harmless to them.

This would be a great book for kids about to visit the dentist or kids who are scared of dentists, or those who like dentists too. I never had a cavity and never needed any painful dental pr
Kathryn
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is the story of an amazing mouse-dentist named Dr. De Soto and his kindly assistant (and wife). They treat all manner of animals--except those that like to eat mice! But, when a well-dressed and much-suffering fox wanders past one day with a terrible toothache, Mrs. De Soto can't bare to see him suffer and convinces her husband to help. But, the fox--true to the foxes' reputation--is sly and cannot be trusted. Dr. De Soto and his wife survive the first day, but the fox needs a second treatm ...more
Emily
I never imagined that a story about a dentist could be charming, but this one is. I enjoyed the story well enough, but what tickled me were the illustrations, especially the ones with the mouse dentist being hauled up on pulleys by his wife to work on the teeth of very large animals. I was also charmed because the Desotos reminded me so much of my own dentist and his wife-assistant, an older Romanian couple who live around the corner from me and do excellent work at low prices (just one of the r ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
I think Doctor De Soto should have referred the fox to another dentist. I mean, it's not like he didn't have enough non-mice eating patients bringing in business!
That said, I love the idea of a mouse dentist. I wish MY dentist was a mouse, with tiny little mouse-sized drills. They'd be much quieter and precise. Also, I bet I could pay him in cheese.
Matthew
To check out my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

I do not remember if I ever read this book until now or if a teacher read it to the class or even if I saw the animated short film but this classic book sounds awfully familiar. It was cute, sweet, and funny which I believe will be a hit for kids but it wasn't 5 stars material for me.

We meet Doctor De Soto who is a mouse dentist who takes care of all type of animals who are harmless to mouse. He is a successful dentist and has many use
Melissa

So I had never heard of this book nor this author before. When I looked into other books he wrote I found out that he is the one who wrote Shrek. Though from what little (and I do mean little) research I've done the movie is very loosely based on the book. Either way that baby is getting added to my to be read pile. But this isn't about Shrek. This is about Doctor De Soto.

Doctor De Soto is a dentist. This mouse takes care of patients of all sizes. But his one rule is to not take dangerous patien
Tatiana
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children in grades 1-2
Shelves: picture-books
Another day, another book read to the 2nd graders. I love having this excuse to revisit children's literature. The kids quickly became invested in this story, responding to my prompts with guesses of what would happen to Dr. De Soto, Mrs. De Soto, and the fox. Their speculations were so imaginative! Colorful illustrations and a clear narrative (with complex action verbs!) that flowed from beginning to end.
Anna
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-lit
Not Steig's best, but still pretty good.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Does anyone else remember this book from their childhood? I read it many times in, oh, grade 1 I think. Maybe Prep. You'd think a book about a mouse dentist, complete with illustrations of teeth extractions (with blood drops) would be off-putting for a child. Instead, the opposite was true: I was fascinated by the pictures and loved the story. I was browsing one day in the children's section and saw it - I had forgotten all about it but instantly recognised it.

Doctor de Soto is, as I said, the s
Mahrya
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd and 4th Graders
Shelves: juvenilia
Steig, William, Doctor De Soto, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, unnumbered pages. Picture book, Newberry Honor book.

Description: Dr. De Soto is a mouse who is also a dentist. He treats all animals, big and small, with the exception of animals who eat mice. When a fox comes in with a rotten tooth, he must decide whether or not to treat him.

Review: Children will find this story hilarious, especially when Dr. De Soto climbs up a ladder to work on the teeth of his larger patients. In one particularly f
Dominick
Slight but fun take on a beast fable, with mouse dentist Doctor De Soto catering to animals regardless of size, as long as they're not predators (e.g. cats, foxes etc.). The conceit of anthropomorphized animals living in a human-like world, complete with occupations, cars and so on, but still engaging in predator-prey relations is a weird one, admittedly, but arguably no more weird here than in the vast majority of such stories, except here it gets foregrounded a bit more. A fox with a toothache ...more
Ashley
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery-honors, own
This was a cute picture book about a mouse dentist. It was cute, but it's one of the very few Newberry books I have read and thought- Why?
Agnė
Although the cover didn't seem that appealing, this book turned out to be such a delightful read!
Helen-Louise
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Love the art work; love the story. Clever mice, to be able to be compassionate to the fox, but still survive to do more good work! Am getting a copy to show my kind and compassionate dentist. Fortunately he does not actually have to climb inside my mouth to work - though it sometimes feels as if that is what is happening!
Jennifer B.
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd picked this up because DENTIST MICE, but I had no idea the author was the same author of one of my most beloved childhood books, "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble". While Sylvester still has my heart, this book is also very lovely and clever, with wonderful illustrations. The dentist mice surpassed my expectations!
Daniel Rio Romo
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una fábula muy simpática sobre ayudar a los demás, aunque estos no tengan buenas intenciones.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Clever dentist who happens to be an altruistic small mouse helps a well-dressed large, and hungry, 🦊 fox with an aching tooth! Happy ending for all. Cute pictures.
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It isn't often an author can have us cheering for a dentist. Especially if the author is writing for children.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the author who succeeds at doing so is William Steig, the same man who created Shrek, the much-beloved ogre. He introduces us to Doctor DeSoto in his picture book of the same name. Doctor De Soto is a dentist with a thriving practice, ably assisted by his wife, Mrs. DeSoto.

The DeSotos, by the way, are mice. Their patients are pigs, cows, donkeys, moles,
Lojayn Ottman
Doctor De Soto is the go to dentist in town- that is, if you aren’t a dangerous animal! In this clever children’s picture book, Doctor De Soto and his wife, both mice, take on their riskiest patient yet: a fox. Using minimal coloring and illustration, William Steig keeps the focus of his story on how foxes can be outfoxed, even by smaller creatures than them.

In this book, we are introduced to a pair of credible rodents who love their dentistry work. However, the two have rules for their practice
Carol
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
So many of William Steig’s storybooks would fit for this particular age group (7-9 years); however, Dr. De Soto, a Newbery Honor Book, is special in many ways. The plot involves a mouse who happens to be a dentist and his wife/assistant who together decide to treat a red fox with a painfully rotten tooth in spite of the obvious risk that the fox will eat Dr. De Soto and probably his wife, too. Most children are able to relate to the experience of going to a dentist, also they can see the humor ...more
Julie
Doctor and Mrs. De Soto are clever enough to outsmart a not-quite-equally clever fox who wants to eat them when they finish his dentistry. Full of great detail; I love the ladders Mrs. De Soto has to climb to bring the equipment, and even the new gold tooth, to the patient's mouth. The De Sotos' kindness and good humor in treating "dangerous animals" pays off in the end. A School Library Journal Top 100 picture book.
Shanna Gonzalez
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
Dr. DeSoto, a mouse, has a standing policy of never treating predators at his dental practice. One day, a fox appears and pleads for help, weeping so that Dr. and Mrs. DeSoto take pity on him and agree to replace his abscessed tooth. While helping him they realize he intends to eat them after his treatment is finished, and they devise a clever way to outwit him while still finishing the job.

The story is satisfying on many levels. It builds on the principle of Aesop's fable of the crane and the w
Heidi-Marie
This was an amusing little tale about a mouse who was a dentist. I liked seeing the interaction between the characters. The illustrations reminded me of my childhood, because we had several William Steig books and it was fun to see these pictures that brought back memories. I also liked seeing other characters from books he had written popping into this story to get their tooth fixed. It was a funny book with an interesting outcome, I would probably recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: ht
Claudia Bell
Dr. DeSoto is a wonderful book about a very clever dentist who appears in the form of a mouse. He, full of compassion for hurting people, agrees to treat a fox, one of his arch enemies. William Steig uses wonderful illustrations and creative language, which is perfectly fitting, to show how compassion and intelligence can go hand in hand. This picture book is delightful not just for young readers.
Emily
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdg-4050
1. This is a story about a brave mouse-dentist and his wife. One day, he operates on a fox. The fox believes he can outsmart them and eat them, but Dr. De Soto and his wife hatch a plan that will keep them alive and keep him away (all while healing his tooth).
2. K-3
3. Carpet read, science
4. Students who like animal stories will enjoy this book. I also think students who like doing things for others could take a lesson from it as well.
5/6.
Dolly
Sep 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
This is a very clever story about a little mouse dentist and how he and his wife outfoxed a fox. This is a fun and suspenseful story to read aloud with children. It's another great story by William Steig; we've really enjoyed his stories and we love his illustrations.
Judy
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who but William Steig can make a trip to the dentist so interesting? Modifications to the usual office design allows for dental work on patients of all sizes. Husband and wife make a good team. When they help a fox, I did wonder how they were going to come out of that experience alive. Ingenious.
Robert Davis
**** Newbery Honor (1983) ****

Clever mouse dentist Dr. De Soto treats animals of all kinds, big and small, except for dangerous enemies of mice. No cats of course. So, when a distressed fox appears with a sore tooth, Dr. De Soto at first refuses to treat him, but then reluctantly does so. Will the fox eat the dentist and his wife after his tooth is fixed?
  • Every Friday
  • The Bears on Hemlock Mountain
  • Alfie Gets in First
  • Graven Images
  • Angus and the Cat
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer

Doctor De Soto (2 books)