Start by marking “The Sex Life of My Aunt” as Want to Read:
The Sex Life of My Aunt

The Sex Life of My Aunt

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  281 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Dily's life is perfect. Apart from the envy of her less contented sister, she has everything she could possibly want - a loving husband, a beautiful home, a privileged lifestyle - and she's proud that she has achieved so much when she began with so little.

But then one day her illusion of perfection is shattered when she meets a man at a train station. As she hurtles toward
Published March 3rd 2005 by Faber Faber (first published February 5th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Sex Life of My Aunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sex Life of My Aunt

Knjigomanijak
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dilys je dobro situirana žena sa skladnim brakom i dobrim i bogatim mužem, savjesnim i uspješnim odvjetnikom. Iako ima sve, osjeća se da nema ništa. I naravno, šta će žena napraviti , već naći mlađeg ljubavnika. Da bi osigurala vrijeme za ljubavnika, laže mužu da se svaki puta nalazi sa svojom starom ujnom ( a on joj glupan sve to vjeruje.)Ili se barem tako čini da joj vjeruje?
Meni je upravo sve to bilo na neki način smiješno, jer knjiga pokazuje što su sve ljudi kadri napraviti zbog strasti. La
carriedaway
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: novels, read-in-2011
I came thisclose to not bothering to finish the book. Dilys is dallying with Matthew, a man ten years her junior who is almost the mirror version of her husband. While Matthew is on the dole and unconcerned about it, her husband Francis is a nicely stable staid sensible rich lawyer with a class conscience but they have the same basic outlook on life. You can almost see where the one would morph into the other if circumstances were different. /yawn.

I'm not sure if Dilly made me impatient because
Hippystick
Something a little lighter. This is described as a modern morality tale, the story of a woman who has it all, great home, wonderful husband, perfect children and then something happens to put that all at risk. This was a cut above the usual standard of aga saga-type book and I enjoyed it very much. Mavis Cheek writes well; her characters are real enough to care about and the story had some nice original touches.

I think Cheek would appeal to lovers of Deborah Moggach or Margaret Forster, I would
Mladen
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this is a classic view "from the inside": about one decent lady in the second half of her life that let go herself into the love. Of course, here is a classical marriage, classical children who already have their own marriages and their own children, classical upper middle class where her wealthy husband takes care of the finances, while our dear lady spends years in various forms of art and traditional, quiet, peaceful (did I mention the classical) life.
suddenly, she manages to fall in love as
Kittygabe
I dont know how to classify this book. first, there is the cheating. i dont really like when the subject is this. but ok, she was depress and like she said there was always that part of her which was sealed in her heart. but thenm she met this wonderful guy, start to hate her husband and in the end... well, not very romantic but maybe pretty realistic! So if you ask my opinio about this book, well, i dont know! ...more
Bookish Enchantment
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
How scary this book is - I don't mean from a spooky point of view but from a realism point of view.

The book made me think about adultery, life, relationships and how frail they can be even when interwoven. Also makes you realise that some simple actions can turn your life upside down.

A great story that will have you begging for more.
Tiah
May 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very English read. I enjoyed that nothing was simple or clear cut. That she did not romanticise the affair or make the husband out to be a demon. I enjoyed the delve into the British class system. However, I felt so detached from the main character that I hardly cared about her when so many events in the novel should have provoked more emotion than they did.
Nives Čavić
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dok srlja ka svojoj propasti ili slobodi, otkriva da je prevara dio sudbine, i kad se kratki susret pretvori u niske strasti, pravi izbor, poput same istine, rijetko je bez mrlja i nikad jednostavan...
Stephanie
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000-2010
Read as part of What's in a Name? reading challenge, familial relation. I've read a few of Mavis Cheek's books and enjoyed them all, this one included. Brought more than a tear to my eye, esp. the ending.Concernes adultery from the wife's viewpoint.
Kitten
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
For a long time, the incredible crassness of the title put me off. When I did finally cave, I thoroughly enjoyed The Sex Life of My Aunt. It was fun and silly, had me in stitches at some of the slapdash moments and the ending was wonderful.
Kresimir
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Mavis Cheek "Seksualni život moje ujne", Profil, Zagreb
Jana
Apr 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Just not good enough to keep me focused and entertained. There were glimpses of what might have been good, but I couldn't endure it even as a light summer read.
Jacqueline
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: favourites, funny
Good, not as funny as Country life
Lucija
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
prvo me je knjiga strasno nervirala, i bilo mi je zao tog muza, a onda se -napokon- pocelo odmotavati klupko i tu ima nekih zanimljivih tema za razmisljanje
Amanda
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed in the writing, in what otherwise was a great look at infidelity and families. Very English.
Mandy
Aug 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Gave up on it. It really didn't hold my interest so have passed it on. Hopefully someone else will have more enjoyment.
Jen Wong
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it
lighthearted and well written
Kate Gardiner

Title is a misnomer. There is a historical flashback halfway through the book that is its saving grace. Wish the whole thing was that flashback period. Would have been arch better book.
Magpie
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
My favourite Mavis, heart breaking back story to a moment of malaise
Sukanya
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Deals brilliantly with the inticate subtleties of infidelity
Joanne
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Quite enjoyed this book. I wouldn't really compare the writer to Joanna Trollope as I love her books. It was an interesting read though, taken from the perspective of The Woman. Worth a read.
Jo
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
A quick read, a bit cringy about the double life led by the wife having the affair. Some funny bits, but not really my cup of tea.
Fata Vrisak
  • Confessions of a Reformed Dieter
  • Prosjak Luka
  • Rumpole à la Carte
  • The Kindness of Strangers: The Autobiography
  • The Women Who Lived for Danger: The Agents of the Special Operations Executive
  • Astonishing Splashes of Colour
  • The Nation's Favourite Love Poems
  • Sadako will leben
  • Gentleman's Relish
  • The Dancing Floor (Sir Edward Leithen, #3)
  • Sorting Out Billy
  • A Rope in Case
  • A Wayne in a Manger
  • The Devil's Music
  • Father! Father! Burning Bright
  • The Red Dancer: The Life and Times of Mata Hari
Born in Wimbledon, now part of London, Mavis left school at 16 to do office work with Editions Alecto, a Kensington publishing company. She later moved to the firm's gallery in Albemarle Street, where she met artists such as David Hockney, Allen Jones, Patrick Caulfield and Gillian Ayres. In 1969 she married a "childhood sweetheart", Chris Cheek, a physicist, whom she had met at a meeting of the Y ...more
More about Mavis Cheek...