Start by marking “Total Freedom: The Essential Krishnamurti” as Want to Read:
Total Freedom: The Essential Krishnamurti

Total Freedom: The Essential Krishnamurti

Counted among his admirers are Jonas Salk, Aldous Huxley, David Hockney, and Van Morrison, along with countless other philosophers, artist, writers and students of the spiritual path. Now the trustees of Krishnamurti’s work have gathered his very best and most illuminating writings and talks to present in one volume the truly essential ideas of this great spiritual ...more
Published (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Total Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Total Freedom

Start your review of Total Freedom: The Essential Krishnamurti
Kate
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I read Krisnamurti I'm all like "Well, it's so clear and obvious now, everything makes total sense."

I have the same feeling when I put on my glasses. "Ah, look, those trees aren't just a blur of green but you can see each individual leaf. I can't believe I've been missing this!"

Feeling a little cloudy? This guy will straighten you RIGHT out.
Jonathan
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"I think it is always important to ask fundamental questions, but when we do ask a fundamental question, most of us are seeking an answer, and then the answer is invariably superficial because there is no yes or no answer to life. Life is a movement, an endless movement, and to inquire into this extraordinary thing called life, with all its innumerable aspects, one must ask fundamental questions and never be satisfied with answers, however satisfactory they may be, because the moment you have an
Richard
Krishnamurti is taxing. It is anything but a self-help, feel good, gooshy, new-agey guru book. He is harsh. He is bare. His words are truth, in all their naked beauty and terror. They are at once beautifully quoteable, and damningly upsetting. He necessitates the reexamination of all that is human, and at the same times affirms our own divine potential. Its a shocking examination of beauty, love, truth and unity. You are the world. That is the truth he proclaims. I'm positive that Annie Bassant ...more
Kshitiz Dahal
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoreau remarked in Walden, "rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth," and this book definitely paves the way for the truth. Rather than depending on some external teachers for the truth, this book asks you to seek the truth inside yourself. It exposes the illusions of fears and security created in your mind through different forms of conditioning.Definitely helps to lead a fearless life, a life full of love and compassion and a life devoid of attachments.

One of the most radical
Steve Woods
What can I say? This man is one of the great thinkers of the 20th century. I was first introduced to his work while I was a teenager in a small country town, I couldn't make sense of any of it and it's taken 50 years to come to a point where those matters of which he speaks so eloquently are now on my mind. Clear, concise and insightful, he makes a universal message into his own form of expression that holds within it no illusions and an internal logic that just cannot be denied.

An important
Steve Pedersen
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its been a few years since I have read this book, but it made a great impact on me. Krishnamurti has such a way with words that he is capable of discussing the human spirit with such great intellect and articulation that makes it very tangible and easy to relate with.
Victor Alvarez
In my view, most authors (or more generally people) regarded as intellectuals under-perform and under-achieve due to the following two aspects: they rely too much on their rational thinking and they follow the approach of developing methods (which can be understood within their own contexts but not individualised, adapted or evolved). Maybe a third trend on this checklist would be self-centredness.

Where many fail, Krishnamurti (and Rumi) excel. Here is a universal and timeless philosopher, a
J-russ
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any seeker.
Shelves: re-reading
This book absolutely changed my perspective although I am sure I will get more out of it every time I read it. I appreciated how logical his message is and how he urged the questioners to challenge it with their own experiences and their own truth. It proves true but not easy, although one may agree with what he is saying, to live at such a height of awareness and consciousness is a constant and life long challenge. I look forward to reading it again and get even deeper into myself.

Also, a lot
Prathap Sridharan
Oct 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This dude is a quack! He is the definition of quack: belaboring a very simple point with vague language. Essentially, he talks about being mindful and aware which is explained much more succinctly and clearly by any link that shows up in a google search. I can't believe that many eminent intellectuals were fans of his vapid nonsense.

He is right about one point:

Do not look to authority!

He managed to hit that point home very well with all the other garbage he spewed. Also the fact that so called
Hannah  Kim
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It does not matter on which page I start to read.
Stephan Scharf
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I've found this book in a friend's bookshelf per accident. And it hit me. It was the first "spiritual book" I took after a long period in studying and reading books in philosophy. The thing was, that I was not satisfied with the discussions and solutions presented there. I quit my PhD in philosophy thinking it became a waste of time talking in endless discussions that did not get to the point.
Many years in living a mundane life style in suffering from a materialistic world-view followed.
J.K.
Colin Schindler
Krishnamurti has been a great discovery for me. One of the main things I appreciate is how he places so much effort in helping you learn how to think for yourself. Rather than tell you how to do something, he clearly starts every question or thought problem by deconstructing and getting down to the first principles. What is it we are trying to figure out and why.

A big part of Jiddu's philosophy is that all organizations (religions, programs, disciplines, etc.), essentially anything that does the
Gill
Dec 04, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
“I heard from Zizek about "Zen in War", a book about the assistance Zen Buddhists brought to the Japanese Empire of WWII. In reading the reviews I came across a reference to a development of Zen ideas about meditation and existence, purged of the Japanese and Buddhist superstructure. That really interested me since I've always thought there was a lot to admire about Zen meditation and aesthetics but could never stomach all the Buddhist and Japanese cultural specifics. So a "culture neutral" Zen ...more
Matt Mayhall
I've read a few of Krishnamurti's books. I think his philosophy is pretty right-on, but each book I've read has left me feeling like I needed more of an explanation. I felt the need for him to elaborate on certain things, and because his published books are often collections of essays on one specific topic ("On God," "On Love and Loneliness," etc.) I always kind of felt like each book had its fair share of redundance. I bought Total Freedom in hopes that he had more to say. This one seemed like ...more
Michael Oliver
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thinkers
Recommended to Michael by: Amy Lenarz
Truth is a pathless land. Krishnamurti urges us not to accept blindly the words of any spiritual leader (including himself), *to think critically, that we may free our minds and see clearly on our own personal journey- He offers insights into the nature of the self, meditation, sex, love, and the mysteries of life and death.

*paraphrased from the back of the book (sometimes you can't say it better).
Annette Abbott
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
If you're not familiar with Krishnamurti, this book offers a good introduction to his talks. A fantastic spiritual teacher, he offers deep insights which can be applied to life regardless of one's spiritual tradition.

Unlike Alan Watts, whom I love to listen to rather than read, I find Krishnamurti easier to read than to listen to. Maybe because I like to savor, or go back and re-read a paragraph or chapter and ponder it. Print offers that luxury more than audio in my opinion.

Karen Lewin-Hicks
Providing yourself the light that frees you from your person, means you don't need Krishnamurti or any other guru-type. It is this freedom that Krishnamurti aims at for each man. If you're serious in your search, you'll see there's no way, with Krishnamurti or otherwise. His writing are spot on. This book is highly recommended.
Brian Harrison
Fantastic ideas and theories put forth in a frank and clear nature. At times frustrating, redundant, and needlessly convoluted, but an important collection of works for those i search of a life of substance.
Chuck
Nov 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book esp. for people in the field of education. It was a real eye opener. His work is challenging and simple all at the same time. He has the unique ability to make you crazy if you study him too much.
Christian McKay
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book has ignited more fiery discussions about religion than any other for me. A friend of mine and I used to walk around the botanical gardens in Pasadena and talk Krishnamurti for hours. I think it changed the way I lived. That's exactly what I look for in a book.
Karen
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good read. Krishnamurti is an amazing philosopher. I enjoyed his ideas and questions. It's amazing how everything he says is still relevant today. Have we changed at all?
Mehul Shah
Jun 04, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book can change the thought process of a human being and one can develop a new way of thinking.
Kevin
Sep 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Utter double-talk garbage.
Paul
Feb 01, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no
Naval always reading something by krishnamurti
Emma
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that takes many reads and experience to unravel.
Jim George
The author has the tendacy to talk in circles, answering questions with more questions. His book Think On These Things is great!
Manoj Georje
A philosophy for the future .A plan for a new future.
Awinash Jha
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book slowly envelops you , and the lectures at the end of book is like pure essence of living , knowing and dying.
Joseph Bailey
May 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent objective exploration of spiritual practice without reference to a particular tradition or belief set.
Jenny
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic; lost me toward the essays in the back of the book, but overall some really great food-for-thought in here! Or non-thought . . .

• Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World
  • The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves
  • Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart: Thirty True Things You Need to Know Now
  • Tao Te Ching
  • The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism
  • Understanding Human Nature
  • Who Am I?: The Teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi
  • Breakout Nations: In Pursuit of the Next Economic Miracles
  • Learning to Die in the Anthropocene: Reflections on the End of a Civilization
  • Musashi
Jiddu Krishnamurti was born on 11 May 1895 in Madanapalle, a small town in south India. He and his brother were adopted in their youth by Dr Annie Besant, then president of the Theosophical Society. Dr Besant and others proclaimed that Krishnamurti was to be a world teacher whose coming the Theosophists had predicted. To prepare the world for this coming, a world-wide organization called the Order ...more
“Teaching is not the mere imparting of knowledge but the cultivation of an inquiring mind.” 17 likes
“The observer is the observed and therein lies sanity, the whole, and with the holy is love.” 10 likes